Fire Ken Holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Can we leave the 'McDavid will request a trade this offseason' shit to the Leafs fans and Toronto media? f*** off

If your boss kept hiring only the absolute worst people to work with and beside, would you not consider quitting and going elsewhere? f*** yeah you would. McDavid asking out is an inevitability, not a fantasy.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If your boss kept hiring only the absolute worst people to work with and beside, would you not consider quitting and going elsewhere? f*** yeah you would. McDavid asking out is an inevitability, not a fantasy.

He's not a reactionary fan, he knows Holland had his hands tied by the idiot that traded a friend of his for the guy that broke his collarbone and laughed about it. Unless Holland blows it this offseason now that he actually has some cap, he won't be going anywhere this offseason.

And if he does? They'll get their 1D and 1G and then some.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Sure but as it stands right now without even doing anything cap will free up. Larsson is also up that's another 4 million. Much as I like Markstrom I'm glad he turned down Holland's offer. I don't think big money goalies are something we need to shoot for.

Anyone that actually thinks this team was going go from basement to contender in a year and a bit is absolutely f***ing delusional and beyond any reasonable discussion. It doesn't matter who the GM is.
how about average? is that too much to ask with 2 MVPs on the club?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
So far the only thing I fault Holland on hard is Kassian contract.

He got rid of Lucic. He's stuck with Koskinen another year same with Russell and Larsson.

Most of his moves are players like haas, Turris, Kahun which are low term low dollar amount.

I actually am glad he didn't sign nurse long term and even bear.

It sucks klefbom is injured but were not too far from having massive cap space. I hope we go hard a a true #1 dman. Something he knows a lot about.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Can we leave the 'McDavid will request a trade this offseason' shit to the Leafs fans and Toronto media? f*** off

McDavid is about to hit 500 points faster than Sidney Crosby did in his career. He and his agent are not going to allow his career to be wasted for much longer. You can get pissy all you want for people suggesting it. It will happen.

Reactions: barry halls

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
People bitch about the Kassian extension (yeah it sucks) and the Khaira and Chiasson contracts. These are like 2-4 million in dead cap vs Chiarelli's $10+ million (and that's just this season after deadweight cleared from last offseason)

He had ~$7 million to f***ing address the following:

Top 6 winger x 2
3C
2 top 4D
1A goalie

I don't care who the GM is, that's simply not possible.

We're fortunate that the gambles on the following have looked good so far:

1 top 4D - Barrie
1 top 6 winger - Pulju (who would have been gone for peanuts last offseason by Chiarelli)

Kahun has been a decent top 9 guy and 4K is a reasonable bottom pair guy (better than Benning IMO)

Now there's what, around $2.5 million in LTIR that might be used on a goalie.

It's frankly a miracle that this roster is as good as it is.

Oct 15, 2008
McDavid is about to hit 500 points faster than Sidney Crosby did in his career. He and his agent are not going to allow his career to be wasted for much longer. You can get pissy all you want for people suggesting it. It will happen.
When he sees management making little to no effort to improve the team in the off season can you blame him?

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

I'm not being pissy. You're projecting your insecurities onto the team. Please spare us.

Reactions: TB12

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
People bitch about the Kassian extension (yeah it sucks) and the Khaira and Chiasson contracts. These are like 2-4 million in dead cap vs Chiarelli's $10+ million (and that's just this season after deadweight cleared from last offseason)

He had ~$7 million to f***ing address the following:

Top 6 winger x 2
3C
2 top 4D
1A goalie

I don't care who the GM is, that's simply not possible.

We're fortunate that the gambles on the following have looked good so far:

1 top 4D - Barrie
1 top 6 winger - Pulju (who would have been gone for peanuts last offseason by Chiarelli)

Kahun has been a decent top 9 guy and 4K is a reasonable bottom pair guy (better than Benning IMO)

Now there's what, around $2.5 million in LTIR that might be used on a goalie.

It's frankly a miracle that this roster is as good as it is.
you moan he didn't have cap space yet he went HARD for Markstrom despite no cap space

his massive failure was telling himself and the organization the goaltending situation was "good enough" when it's clearly not...Oilers have the 2nd best goaltending in the game almost every night

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Feel free to put me on ignore if you don't like to read it.

I don't bother ignoring people that aren't just random trolls that wander on here.

But what you're suggesting is speculative bullshit and you should be okay with being called on it. Unless you've heard from someone close to Connor's camp you might want to hold off from the inflammatory nonsense.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
you moan he didn't have cap space yet he went HARD for Markstrom despite no cap space

his massive failure was telling himself and the organization the goaltending situation was "good enough" when it's clearly not...Oilers have the 2nd best goaltending in the game almost every night

I would be more critical of him than you are if they signed Markstrom to that contract. It would have been a massive failure.

Reactions: Balakay14

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Good luck improving incrementally once Connor McDavid demands a trade out of Edmoton because the first 1/2 of his career has been wasted by back to back deadweight GMs far beyond their best before dates. It's a sad thing to think about, but that is coming. Sooner than anyone here wants to admit.
I would take that bet, way too much hyperbole. These players and management have a lot higher level of understanding

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
So far the only thing I fault Holland on hard is Kassian contract.

He got rid of Lucic. He's stuck with Koskinen another year same with Russell and Larsson.

Most of his moves are players like haas, Turris, Kahun which are low term low dollar amount.

I actually am glad he didn't sign nurse long term and even bear.

It sucks klefbom is injured but were not too far from having massive cap space. I hope we go hard a a true #1 dman. Something he knows a lot about.
This, all of this

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I'm sure the Flames are really regretting it after stealing the 2 point from the Oilers tonight

You've said this a couple times. Perhaps he will be the reason they finally make it past the first round but I'm not convinced.

The Flames had the cap space, the Oilers didn't. You can either blame Holland in the $2-4 million he's overpaid / wasted or the $10+ million of garbage care of Chiarelli. Your choice.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't bother ignoring people that aren't just random trolls that wander on here.

But what you're suggesting is speculative bullshit and you should be okay with being called on it. Unless you've heard from someone close to Connor's camp you might want to hold off from the inflammatory nonsense.

Call it speculative or inflammatory all you want.

A player who has the opportunity to go down as one of the greatest of all time is not going to jeopardize that by being loyal to a team that is wasting the prime of his career.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've also said that he realizes that goaltending is a big weakness, especially with so many young D coming through the pipeline. So it's just a matter of finding the right fit, are there any solid young goalies that are behind a better young goalie that we might be able to snag at a reasonable cost?

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

A player who has the opportunity to go down as one of the greatest of all time is not going to jeopardize that by being loyal to a team that is wasting the prime of his career.

Logic would suggest he understands the situation and will give it another offseason when there is actual cap dollars to address the holes in the roster. If he was expecting to go deep in the playoffs this year he can buy the same bridge I was going to offer to you.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I've also said that he realizes that goaltending is a big weakness, especially with so many young D coming through the pipeline. So it's just a matter of finding the right fit, are there any solid young goalies that are behind a better young goalie that we might be able to snag at a reasonable cost?

I know people are down about the quarantine period but I'd look at targeting one of Columbus' goalies. I think they'd do it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

This season we have added 2 potentially core pieces in Pulju and Bouch. We have more on the way in Broberg and Holloway. We may not have that coveted 1D, but we have a lot to like outside of the goaltending position.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You've said this a couple times. Perhaps he will be the reason they finally make it past the first round but I'm not convinced.

The Flames had the cap space, the Oilers didn't. You can either blame Holland in the $2-4 million he's overpaid / wasted or the $10+ million of garbage care of Chiarelli. Your choice.
I am absolutely blaming him for bringing in the same 2 bad goaltenders that failed in the play-ins and hoping things will change...and to no one's shock, it hasn't changed

sure, he was "stuck" with Koskinen but needed to upgrade Smith and he didn't and it's costing us points and games

total failure

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

It took Ovechkin 10+ years to win a cup. It's not always Pittsburgh Chicago sitaitons. Everyone would love to have a prime Duncan Keith or Sidney Crosby signed for 8.7 million. Grown ups realize these things are really highly skewered towards luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->