Fire Hakstol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wish Trump would write him a termination letter saying how if he doesn't accept he will obliterate him and his farmstead.

But seriously, it is inevitable that this guy is gonna be fired imo. We are wasting time....

I wish the two of them terminated each other

Reactions: Embiid

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I honestly think there are 1 of 2 ways that Hak will get fired. I thinks it’s dependent upon how David Quinn does with the Rangers and the playoffs.

If the flyers don’t make the playoffs next year- Hak will go and I’m pretty sure of that. Another analogous scenario is if David Quinn outperforms Hakstol with a worse Rangers team.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I wonder how long the next losing streak will be?
I'm gonna say 11+. Hakstol has built on the previous years by exceeding those feats the following year. If he can lose 10 games, then there's nothing stopping him from likely losing 11+ games. Now, of course the players have to be snake-bitten, but that shouldn't be a concern with this team, especially if they get a consistent stretch of playing top-of-league/standing teams in a condensed schedule portion. A PDO of .371 or lower over a stretch? 11+ games easy. And mind you, .371 would be a reasonable & fantastic batting average.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm gonna say 11+. Hakstol has built on the previous years by exceeding those feats the following year. If he can lose 10 games, then there's nothing stopping him from likely losing 11+ games. Now, of course the players have to be snake-bitten, but that shouldn't be a concern with this team, especially if they get a consistent stretch of playing top-of-league/standing teams in a condensed schedule portion. A PDO of .371 or lower over a stretch? 11+ games easy. And mind you, .371 would be a reasonable & fantastic batting average.

These are times that try mens' livers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly think there are 1 of 2 ways that Hak will get fired. I thinks it’s dependent upon how David Quinn does with the Rangers and the playoffs.

If the flyers don’t make the playoffs next year- Hak will go and I’m pretty sure of that. Another analogous scenario is if David Quinn outperforms Hakstol with a worse Rangers team.

I seriously doubt Hextall cares what the Rangers or their coach does next year. For better or worse Hextall marches to his own drum.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Ron gives Hakstol more talent next year, he'll expect better results.
So the stakes go up if Ron lands a legitimate 3C, a PKing 4th line forward, a veteran RHD and/or a goalie upgrade.
At the very least, Ron expects overall progress from the prospects on the team (i.e. some may do the two step forward/one step back dance, but as a whole they should improve).

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Is anyone else getting more upset with Hakstol/Hextall given Las Vegas' success? LV has shown that a good coach and system can make mediocre players into a contender. Yet here we sit with what appears to be a decade long rebuild on the horizon with these two chuckleheads. My patience with those two is now gone.

Reactions: LoneFlyerFan21

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Is anyone else getting more upset with Hakstol/Hextall given Las Vegas' success? LV has shown that a good coach and system can make mediocre players into a contender. Yet here we sit with what appears to be a decade long rebuild on the horizon with these two chuckleheads. My patience with those two is now gone.

I have plenty of patience for Hexy, because I have wanted us to build through the draft for the past three decades and we finally are doing it - it just takes time. Once that switch hits (i.e. they get old/experienced enough to help the Flyers), we should be rolling and it should be sustainable.

Hakstok ... there are no words for how fed up of him I am. I'd agree with what you said above, but I was already so far past the breaking point with him that what Vegas is doing doesn't effect it too much. I'm fuming all day every day about him.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
Hakstok ... there are no words for how fed up of him I am. I'd agree with what you said above, but I was already so far past the breaking point with him that what Vegas is doing doesn't effect it too much. I'm fuming all day every day about him.

Absolutely reasonable response. Intellectually, I can see where Hextall wants to take us, but his keeping Hakstol has me doubting him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Absolutely reasonable response. Intellectually, I can see where Hextall wants to take us, but his keeping Hakstol has me doubting him.
I said it before, but my take on Hextall not firing Hak....is self preservation.

As a GM, you usually get 2 hirings for coach. After that, it's the GM who gets looked at. In Hakstol, if he fired him now, the clock starts ticking on the next coach....and Hextall. By keeping Hakstol around until the rebuild is complete, it keeps the clock stopped on Hextall. So for self preservation, I understand Hextall waiting.

Plus, who does he replace him with? From within, Knob is the only choice. And he is still raw so keeping Hak gives Knob more time to gain experience. If you look to replace from without, who? Maybe they go after Trotz as it looks like he won't be re-signing in Washington. But most of the other guys, are meh too. Maybe Hextall has had discussions but has just not been able land who he wants, so he patiently waits.

Maybe he wants Quenneville who's contract ends summer 2019?

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
'Fire Hak'. Escalating team point total = not going to happen (unless the team players want him gone).

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I said it before, but my take on Hextall not firing Hak....is self preservation.

As a GM, you usually get 2 hirings for coach. After that, it's the GM who gets looked at. In Hakstol, if he fired him now, the clock starts ticking on the next coach....and Hextall. By keeping Hakstol around until the rebuild is complete, it keeps the clock stopped on Hextall. So for self preservation, I understand Hextall waiting.

Plus, who does he replace him with? From within, Knob is the only choice. And he is still raw so keeping Hak gives Knob more time to gain experience. If you look to replace from without, who? Maybe they go after Trotz as it looks like he won't be re-signing in Washington. But most of the other guys, are meh too. Maybe Hextall has had discussions but has just not been able land who he wants, so he patiently waits.

Maybe he wants Quenneville who's contract ends summer 2019?

some good points there. Hak is basically a meat shield for Hextall right now. as long as Hak is around, he'll take most of the criticism, but the second he's gone, if the team continues to lose, then all eyes turn toward Hextall.

it makes sense, but at the same time Hextall needs to realize that in order for this team to take the next step, Hak has to go. otherwise we'll be forever stuck in this loop of mediocrity.

Reactions: Tripod

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Keep him for now, playoffs were good enough for me, of course if they don't have a good start then reconsider.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

By that standard, every coach should be fired, I mean what's Babcock's excuse?

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
some good points there. Hak is basically a meat shield for Hextall right now. as long as Hak is around, he'll take most of the criticism, but the second he's gone, if the team continues to lose, then all eyes turn toward Hextall.

it makes sense, but at the same time Hextall needs to realize that in order for this team to take the next step, Hak has to go. otherwise we'll be forever stuck in this loop of mediocrity.

They had 98 points and made the playoffs the 2nd time in 3 years, the teams they lost to in the first round are probably the last three SC winners.
In the 4th year of a rebuild, most teams don't even make the playoffs once.
I think they'd have to seriously regress this year to "start to lose," i.e. 90 points and miss the playoffs.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

Woah, are Vegas really a legit contender, the Caps right now are making them look not very, Vegas had a good draw to the Finals, but have finally run into a real deal team.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
The Vegas model is completely unrealistic for teams to follow. It assumes you don't have to worry about existing salary cap. Vegas did a fantastic job choosing a system and evaluating the talent available to them to cherry pick'. Kudos. But now...over the next couple seasons as their good players want to get paid everyone will see it's simply not sustainable to remain Cup contender in a salary cap league.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Woah, are Vegas really a legit contender, the Caps right now are making them look not very, Vegas had a good draw to the Finals, but have finally run into a real deal team.

The Winnipeg Jets weren't a real team?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Funny how when a team is winning suddenly people think it's because of the coach. It's equally as stupid as people praising Hakstol when the Flyers were on fire in January and February.

In reality, it's just players having unsustainable years. If Vegas' coach was actually able to have this kind of effect on players then the Panthers would have done much better when he was there.

Anyone who has no patience only has themselves to blame. If you think this is taking too long then you had unrealistic expectations to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->