Proposal: Fire Geoff Ward and Brad Treliving Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Ownership wants a playoff team yearly, even if it's only fringe. Just enough to keep interest, sales and that sort of thing. That's how its felt to me for 15 years.

Even if we fire all our management and start a rebuild, if we even have one slightly above expectations season like 2015 again, I bet ownership would immediately tell management they expect that the next season too.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT era is a complete failure

accept that and move on please

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I had a beautiful dream last night. Ken king came in all of a sudden to the gm box and Brad was all like “wtf is he doing in here” and then there was a press conference and he got fired... good times.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
iwxoVmk.gif

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Everyone, please relax. This team is 2 points out of a play off spot. Given that evert game is divisional, they could be in first by the end of next week. Lets focus on the positives here, Markstrom looks amazing, Mangiapane is playing great, Dube is taking steps, Lindholm is becoming a #1 center, etc etc. If Johnny, Mony, Chucky and Gio find there game here things can really start taking off. I trust those four to be able to dig deep. I predict they win 8 out of their next 10. Go flames.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Everyone, please relax. This team is 2 points out of a play off spot. Given that evert game is divisional, they could be in first by the end of next week. Lets focus on the positives here, Markstrom looks amazing, Mangiapane is playing great, Dube is taking steps, Lindholm is becoming a #1 center, etc etc. If Johnny, Mony, Chucky and Gio find there game here things can really start taking off. I trust those four to be able to dig deep. I predict they win 8 out of their next 10. Go flames.

8 out of the next 10 as wins? Please pass what your smoking. We are 2 points back of Montreal having played 2 more games, scored 12 less goals, allowed 4 more, and they have already made a coaching change because they don't like where they are.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Outside of Peters when was the last time we let a coach go during the season?
Greg Gilbert, because Darryl Sutter was available after being fired from the Sharks.

I was going to say that wasn't very long ago, but it was the 2002/03 season...

Everyone, please relax. This team is 2 points out of a play off spot.
They're also 3 losses away from dead last in the division, so there's that.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Realistically, what pressure is there on this roster to preform? I was just thinking about it, with Treliving they don't make any mid-season moves to bring guys in. As part of that, guys are never on the way out. Is it a coincidence that the Flames best season came after a big trade?

Just looking at it, the Flames always seem to preform best when they get a new coach. Part of getting a new coach is that there is heat on the players to preform lest they get moved. Or even when Gulutzan blew up, it had the sense of "something needs to change" where it might not just have been Gulutzan. But time and time again no player has really been on the out in a way that was impactful to the team. Not saying you make trades to shake up a locker room, but that's weird, isn't it? The team picks it up whenever it seems that there's motivation of something being done to shake up the team, but it always comes to the coach first and the same results happen. Like, as I mentioned earlier the 2018-19 season was preceded by a big locker room guy like Ferland being traded out (also Dougie but apparently they didn't like him) and the team is mediocre to start, but they get stomped and something flips in them and they get hot. They play a fast pace, they retrieve pucks, it felt like there were never quitting. From an outside pov looking in, it seems like they were pushing back against the potential consequences of another failed season. And it makes sense looking at all the years before where the Flames only real consequences for quitting was the coach being fired, and a FA being brought in as a vote of conifdence in the team. Every other player that's been on the out from the Flames? Kulak was gone as a favour to him, Brouwer/Stone/Neal were bought out/traded for being bad, Frolik's agent trash talked management, Hamonic, Hathaway, and Brodie just walked in FA. At no point are there every consequnces for the actual on-ice product from guys the core care about.

This isn't to take any blame from anyone involved like Ward, who should at least be able to put together a bottom 6 that isn't abhorrent and preforming well below expectations, but at what point do you look at the group and wonder if they realize that there are no consequences for their actions beyond getting a new coach and another shot at kicking the bucket?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I wonder is he even on thin ice though? Like, Treliving essentially tied himself to this absolute boat anchor. Is he gonna go to ownership and ask them for money for another coach? I dunno. I’ve gotten the sense recently his ego has.... inflated some.
I get the sense that he’s only on thin ice with the fans. Even if he is in the hot seat with Treliving, Treliving has to realize this was his last coach so it would take something drastic for him to be canned. Because of that I feel like Brad will pin this on players before he pins it on Ward - right or wrong.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I get the sense that he’s only on thin ice with the fans. Even if he is in the hot seat with Treliving, Treliving has to realize this was his last coach so it would take something drastic for him to be canned. Because of that I feel like Brad will pin this on players before he pins it on Ward - right or wrong.

I definitely agree with your assessment of how this is gonna go.

I see three paths:
1. We ride Ward out into the off season and, if things are going as they have, both Ward and Treliving are gone at that point.
2. Treliving gets truly desperate and fires Ward for 1 last kick at the coaching can, probably putting himself on very thin ice.
3. The players and the coach somehow figure it out. I don't think this one is gonna happen though.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

You misspelled win with lose, you meant lose 8 of their next 10.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

But it is not nearly as fun to rage online as it is to be level headed.

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Man I kinda have a soft spot for Ward, not that I think we should keep him at all, but I feel a lot of the vitriol thrown his way...is a bit much. The guy didn't ask for the job, he was supposed to be given the reigns till we found a real coach and for some f***ing reason Treliving thought he was worth a gamble. I feel like he's doing the best he can but he's just in over his head. I really wouldn't mind him as an assistant coach full time, I think he was willing to step back down even when asked about it last year.

It's not like Gulutzan, I really hated Gully. Dude was way out of his depth, but something about him annoyed me a lot more.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Man I kinda have a soft spot for Ward, not that I think we should keep him at all, but I feel a lot of the vitriol thrown his way...is a bit much. The guy didn't ask for the job, he was supposed to be given the reigns till we found a real coach and for some f***ing reason Treliving thought he was worth a gamble. I feel like he's doing the best he can but he's just in over his head. I really wouldn't mind him as an assistant coach full time, I think he was willing to step back down even when asked about it last year.

It's not like Gulutzan, I really hated Gully. Dude was way out of his depth, but something about him annoyed me a lot more.

Me too. I like the guy, I think he’s a good man. But he’s in over his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad