Fire(d) Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I can easily see this club breaking into factions. There some guys on this club that I suspect are not his biggest fans. Especially with his pension for throwing the players under the bus in the media. Ghost and Voracek had friends on this team that probably aren’t happy to see them go. Then there are “AV’s Boys. That parting shot about Canadian guys not being in shape for last season had to bite as well. We’ll see if these players are willing to fight on a hill for AV or grease his skids. IMO, it all revolves around G and Couts rallying the guys to play hard.

Reactions: Larry44 and Amorgus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the 25 Million Dollar Man is fired next season……what are the chances Fletcher’s moves came up empty? Pretty good!

Hart coming up short would be the biggest reason.
Second would be G hitting his expiration date.
Third would be injuries.
Fourth would be the team never jelled.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
You watched different series then i did then . Hits from behind driving guys head first into the boards going un called all the time and punches to the head after every scrum were never called . If they called those penalties they would stop but they don't .
I watched the Hurricane's losing round and the ultraboring finals. I don't remember anything egregious,especially in the finals.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I watched the Hurricane's losing round and the ultraboring finals. I don't remember anything egregious,especially in the finals.
Montreal Vegas series was a train wreck . The ref that refed in Montreal was no longer allowed to ref in the playoffs after those two games . The league was getting called out for the department of player safety failers , Bettman was trying to defend him . It was a complete shit show .

And yes the finals were quite boring .

Reactions: Amorgus

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Montreal Vegas series was a train wreck . The ref that refed in Montreal was no longer allowed to ref in the playoffs after those two games . The league was getting called out for the department of player safety failers , Bettman was trying to defend him . It was a complete shit show .

And yes the finals were quite boring .
I definitely watched the wrong series then but I can't stay up long enough for west coast games on work nights.

Reactions: wasup

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
One reason they change in the playoffs is the fear of too many penalties turning the game into a slough and a PP contest.
HCs realize this and push the limits.

But there's not nearly the grabbing and clutching there was a decade ago, they call tripping pretty regularly, and interference on occasion. and slashing across the hands is an automatic call.
But in front of the net, as long as you don't try to decapitate someone, defensemen have carte blanche to cross check and do anything to clear the crease.

Fletcher did what he could with limited resources, Ghost and Hagg paid for Risto, we'll see how that works, but once they traded for Ellis, Ghost became superfluous (with two better offensive defensemen in Ellis and Sanheim), especially with York and Zamula in the wings. Yandle is an insurance policy if York doesn't show he's ready in camp, he can fill that sheltered role that Ghost occupied last year (11% QoC and PP1).

I suspect Thompson will fill the Andreoff role in the pressbox, and once reason they signed him was that he was amenable to that role.
They started Frost last year, if he's healthy, they'll start him this year.
The big concern is probably Laczynski's hip, if he's not ready for a couple months then Thompson becomes the 13th forward unless J Cates, Bunnaman, Willman or Rubtsov takes a big step up in TC.

G - Couts - TK
JVR - Hayes - Atkinson
Lindblom - Frost - Farabee
NAK - Laughton - Allison
Thompson (Laczynski on IR)

Alternatively, Lindblom at 4LW, Farabee at 3LW, Allison at 3RW, NAK at 4RW.

Thompson is not going to be sitting in the press box. I know he only averaged 9:41 a game in Winnipeg, but previous to that, he averaged 12:37 of ice time per game. He's a Vigneault favourite. He's going to play double digits per night. He's not going to the press box.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thompson is not going to be sitting in the press box. I know he only averaged 9:41 a game in Winnipeg, but previous to that, he averaged 12:37 of ice time per game. He's a Vigneault favourite. He's going to play double digits per night. He's not going to the press box.

Yep. He'll be closer to 13 min than 9 and play 60-70 games.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yeah. 9 minutes is the normal going rate for someone like him, and ideally in a replacement role at that. He won't be that.

I would be shocked if AV didn't specifically request getting him back.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada

100% hes a main roster player till he wears down like the old dog he is..

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everytime this board declares something like this, they usually end up wrong.

Thompson played two years ago b/c the alternatives were 20 yr old Frost who had already failed (sent to the AHL two weeks BEFORE they traded for Thompson) and Bunnaman who played ultra-conservative and didn't PK.

Thompson, Grant, Pitlick, JVR, Farabee and TK all struggled in the playoffs. Raffl got injured.
The only forwards who played well were Voracek, Couts, and Laughton.

They're a lot deeper this season, unless Laczysnki can't play, Frost flops and no one steps up in LHV.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He’s $800k, knows his role & won’t complain, his teammates love him, above average at faceoffs, & plays physically on a team missing that at forward.

He’s not going to block Frost or Laczynski when they are ready. But both are coming off injuries, & he’s depth.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Voracek and ghost had friends on a team that hasn’t won a playoff series in about 10 years? Let them get upset. Maybe they should be upset at the results they’ve been posting this last decade

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Voracek and ghost had friends on a team that hasn’t won a playoff series in about 10 years? Let them get upset. Maybe they should be upset at the results they’ve been posting this last decade
True. However teammates do bond with each other. If they see one of their own being mistreated, they’ll line up behind them. We’ve seen AV call out many players in the press for poor play. Therrien is known for possessing an acidic mouth. Rarely do things such as these work well with the guys. They hear it and then wonder when their time will come. There are better ways to motivate players without tearing apart the club’s unity.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
True. However teammates do bond with each other. If they see one of their own being mistreated, they’ll line up behind them. We’ve seen AV call out many players in the press for poor play. Therrien is known for possessing an acidic mouth. Rarely do things such as these work well with the guys. They hear it and then wonder when their time will come. There are better ways to motivate players without tearing apart the club’s unity.
I can't remember the exact quote, but Couturier seemed to side with staff, and called out teammates for lack of consistent effort. It's rare for him to speak out like that, so it's obvious they had locker room and effort/focus problems. Gotta at least wonder if Voracek was one of the players to whom he was referring, considering he wasn't exactly playing great defense and allegedly was bitching about the staff.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Who knows with this team, but I don't have high hopes for Jones which just worries me they will overwork carter hart so fools can keep their job security.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who knows with goalies? Mrazek was awful with the Flyers, then had two solid seasons when he was healthy.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
The confidence in Hart is shocking to me. The guy had a historically awful season. People turned on Roman Cechmanek when he was the best goalie the team has had in 35 years.
True, but that doesn’t mean that Roman Cechmanek wasn’t bat poop crazy.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
"assistant strength and conditioning coach Dan Warnke to the head role and lead developer in the analytics department"

From flyers internal changes. Ah, that sentence isn't encouraging in and of itself.

Edit: not part of analytics

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
"assistant strength and conditioning coach Dan Warnke to the head role and lead developer in the analytics department"

From flyers internal changes. Ah, that sentence isn't encouraging in and of itself.

Edit: not part of analytics
We need more hitz!!! Find more Robert Haggs and less Patrick Kanes.

Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->