Fire/Don't Fire/Discuss Torts II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m telling you what he said on hockey and hounds the past 2 weeks .

He literally had a 1 on 1 meeting with patrik Laine after the benching. He had a one on one meeting with Jones a few years ago when Jones asked torts to ease up on Werenski when he was struggling and to let him take him under his wing.

I think what you’re referring to is team issues. Which should be dealt with in front of the team. I don’t think torts has had any issues with meeting players one on one.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Something is wrong with this team. Maybe it's Torts, but what if it's not?

This is my prayer for you today.

That your career decisions.

Your voting decisions.

Your financial decisions.

Your leadership decisions.

Your parenting decisions.

That the driving force behind what you do, say and think would be influenced by hope and optimism rather than fear and negativity.

And that in doing so, we can start to create a world that we want, instead of running away from things that we don’t want.

We can move towards something larger and more magnificent, instead of making everything smaller and easier to control.

We can wake up with a smile on our face, instead of a sense of dread in our gut.

We can impact the next generation, helping them to understand that there is something to live for, not escape from.

So today, and every day, may your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.

-Nelson Mandela

Reactions: LazyCircuits

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He literally had a 1 on 1 meeting with patrik Laine after the benching. He had a one on one meeting with Jones a few years ago when Jones asked torts to ease up on Werenski when he was struggling and to let him take him under his wing.

I think what you’re referring to is team issues. Which should be dealt with in front of the team. I don’t think torts has had any issues with meeting players one on one.
Nope .. I’ll pull the shows up and link

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Team is so bad to watch right now. It's not if we are even losing by bad bounces or terrible ref decisions, we're just getting beat straight up and have deserved almost every loss during this span. We will most likely lose tomorrow as well. There's just no team effort, it's a bunch of contractors out there not sure what to do and there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. This team is as bad as the Rick Nash Blue Jacket era teams, it's real hopeless. The team is soft and they do not believe in themselves or the strategy to get it done. Time for Torts to go, the losses are just going to keep adding up.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Some statistic FO%:

11b9512ef620.jpg

So, with the exception of the match with Chicago (and there, by the way, we were let down by the implementation, 3 pipes plus one in chance grade A past the goal against one chance Chicago) we won every time we were better at FO%, plus we won twice when we lost FO%. By the way, in the last match, two shots were decided, and so Nashville did not have much chance to score.

I will be happy to thoroughly analyze how, playing virtually constant forchecking with unforced errors of defenders and the lack of training of most centers to play in this position, we can play the puck, focus on creating. Especially if we have wings that are aimed at moving te puck, combinations, only Laine, Grigorenko and Bjorkstrand. And it is the quick movement of the puku, which is the strong point of the opponents.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I know everyone is saying “blow it up” and it’s easy to understand. But I guess I’d like to first see how this team/these players (which maybe a trade or two) would fare u dear a different coach. That’s not a call to fire Torts, but I think he’ll be gone. Jarmo made two major trades and of the three players acquired, two - Laine and especially Domi - have seemingly not seen max performance under Torts.

I agree with this approach. Something ain't working. Its either Torts or it is the players. Trying a new coach with a new approach is easier than massive changes to the roster.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I agree with this approach. Something ain't working. Its either Torts or it is the players. Trying a new coach with a new approach is easier than massive changes to the roster.
This is all I'm saying... try a new coach. A new system.

I don't think we need to blow up the roster. Just a few corrections if new coach/system requires it.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
This is all I'm saying... try a new coach. A new system.

I don't think we need to blow up the roster. Just a few corrections if new coach/system requires it.

I think this is becoming more apparently a need. I don't think I'd ever ask the team to fire torts but you watch other teams and then watch the blue jackets and the differences are stark. The jackets do such a terrible job supporting play and each other. They don't give each other options. Where other teams always seem to have an option or have a bounce or rebound fall right to a player, the jackets never do.

The system is failing on the ice.

Reactions: Dumais

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Reality is this team just isn’t that good. I still don’t know why JK gets regarded as some drafting genius, he’s been good with trades, terrible with contracts and average with draft picks.

Torts has done all that he can do with this team. The roster is not playoff-caliber. The lack of a bonafide top-six center is a glaring weakness both offensively and defensively. There are young players on the roster who could fill those roles eventually but they aren't there yet. There is a high-profile winger on board, though.

Gee, that sounds awful familiar.

If we were anyone but Columbus, the smart move would be to move out the old guard and re-tool with Jones and Werenski being the cornerstones and bring in some help via UFA but UFAs of any significance don't come here. In addition, who knows if Jones and Werenski even want to be here given the recent exodus of talent?

If this team is ever going to be successful at the highest level, it's going to have to come through good drafting and being advantageous when it comes to trades. Our best shot with the existing core came and went in the spring of 2019.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think Torts is a good coach. A great coach even,

I think this team is pretty good on paper. Or at least it should have been. There is talent all over it. The lack of talent at center is a massive red flag, but there is no reason this team shouldn't be competitive for a playoff spot.

There is a clear disconnect between the two. And I think a change is inevitable. I don't think his philosophies and the ability of the players matches up anymore. Especially defensively.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
My biggest hope if we move on from torts is finally ditching “Bluejackets hockey” this mantra has been a complete failure and when I hear it I think losing hockey. “Bluejacket hockey” is 90s mid 2000 dump and chase grinder hockey, if you have superstars across the board then maybe it can still be successful, but it’s boring as hell to watch and the league has largely moved on

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'd like to see the Jackets hire a younger guy who hasn't been out of the game too long, like Rod Brind'Amour

I think Scott Hartnell would be a great coach if he was ever interested. High IQ, high character person

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think Torts is a good coach. A great coach even,

I think this team is pretty good on paper. Or at least it should have been. There is talent all over it. The lack of talent at center is a massive red flag, but there is no reason this team shouldn't be competitive for a playoff spot.

There is a clear disconnect between the two. And I think a change is inevitable. I don't think his philosophies and the ability of the players matches up anymore. Especially defensively.

That's where I'll disagee.

Laine, Atkinson and Roslivic are solid top 6ers. The rest of the forwards are 3rd liners and fillers. Most of Jarmo's draft picks just aren't that good. Stenlund, whose tires have been pumped quite a bit on this board of late, is a 24 year old with 21 goals in 99 career AHL games-hardly the numbers of an NHL top 6er.

On defense, Seth Jones and Werenski are living off of old clippings-they're not all that good this year. Jones is in year 8 of his NHL career and has likely peaked. Predictions of him as a Norris contender are a pipe dream at this point. Z has been injured and I expect Z to become an offensive force again.

The rest of the D is either in decline (Savard) or serviceable for the most part.

Korpisalo's overall performance this year has been poor but he's probably a decent goalie and Elvis is probably a solid NHL netminder.

It's a very mediocre roster. Does anyone really expect this team to be competitive with Tampa, Toronto (ironic the first two are the playoff wins!),Carolina, Washington, Boston, Vegas or Colorado? This is a middling roster where everything needs to click for it to make the playoffs.

That being said, coaches are hired to be fired. Torts is the 4th most senior NHL coach. He's probably on the chopping block if things don't turn around. But the CBJ aren't the Blues of a few years ago. A coaching change is not going to unleash that Champion within. I hope things turn around and Torts at least gets to coach out the year. The problem of the CBJ is in the executive suite and it's time for a GM change. Jarmo's reign is in year 9 and the overall results and current performance dictate a change in the overall direction of the organization. I'd welcome his dismissal.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That's where I'll disagee.

Laine, Atkinson and Roslivic are solid top 6ers. The rest of the forwards are 3rd liners and fillers. Most of Jarmo's draft picks just aren't that good. Stenlund, whose tires have been pumped quite a bit on this board of late, is a 24 year old with 21 goals in 99 career AHL games-hardly the numbers of an NHL top 6er.

On defense, Seth Jones and Werenski are living off of old clippings-they're not all that good this year. Jones is in year 8 of his NHL career and has likely peaked. Predictions of him as a Norris contender are a pipe dream at this point. Z has been injured and I expect Z to become an offensive force again.

The rest of the D is either in decline (Savard) or serviceable for the most part.

Korpisalo's overall performance this year has been poor but he's probably a decent goalie and Elvis is probably a solid NHL netminder.

You forgot Bjorkstrand (I hope). So that’s 4 top 6 forwards. And there are solid young players who have too 6 hopeful production too (Texier, Bemstrom). And underperforming typical top 6 forward in Domi. That’s not a bad group. It’s nothing special; but it’s certainly better than what they’ve shown.

Lol Jones and Werenski have peaked? That’s ridiculous. Bad years happen. And while I do agree the Jones Norris stuff is now a pipe dream, that doesn’t mean they’re not top a pairing defensively individually or as a group. Just because Jones has been bad this year doesn’t mean you have to make hyperbolic statements. He’s like 26 not 31.

I think korpi has been okay. His stats look awful but look at the quality of shots against. He’s been given shit defense and hasn’t performed well. Not a surprise. I think Elvis has higher end potential but it’s getting worrisome about the injuries.

The roster is better than this. Not a contender like the teams you mentioned, but we are certainly better than Chicago, Nashville, and others. Maybe even Dallas.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
You forgot Bjorkstrand (I hope). So that’s 4 top 6 forwards. And there are solid young players who have too 6 hopeful production too (Texier, Bemstrom). And underperforming typical top 6 forward in Domi. That’s not a bad group. It’s nothing special; but it’s certainly better than what they’ve shown.

Lol Jones and Werenski have peaked? That’s ridiculous. Bad years happen. And while I do agree the Jones Norris stuff is now a pipe dream, that doesn’t mean they’re not top a pairing defensively individually or as a group. Just because Jones has been bad this year doesn’t mean you have to make hyperbolic statements. He’s like 26 not 31.

I think korpi has been okay. His stats look awful but look at the quality of shots against. He’s been given shit defense and hasn’t performed well. Not a surprise. I think Elvis has higher end potential but it’s getting worrisome about the injuries.

The roster is better than this. Not a contender like the teams you mentioned, but we are certainly better than Chicago, Nashville, and others. Maybe even Dallas.
Oops on the Bjorkstrand:laugh: And since I'm revising, Cam has been solid top 6 of late. But neither of these 2 is an ideal top liner-and Roslovic certainly isn't. The CBJ are not a strong top 6 forward team was my point and I'll stand by that.

When do you think players peak? Hint: It's early in their careers. When did Doughty and Erik Karlsson peak? Pointwise at 27 for EK. Doughty at 28 (though he's having a good year that way this year). Players tend to peak in their 20s in hockey. Forwards tend to peak in their mid 20s. Naturally there are plenty of exceptions, but I don't see Jones being one.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think we should change Torts for a coach for children to teach some players hockey skill, for example passing.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
Same timeframe Torts lost the TBL and NYR locker rooms. 5-6 years, one bad season, and he was fired, both times. The team’s body language says it all. Poor structure, no compete, can’t complete simple passes, can’t clear the zone, and can’t score. All star goalie, former top-3 pair in the league, one of the top scorers in the world, another former 40 goal scorer, a bunch of other 20 and 30 goal scorers, a bunch more solid 2-way players, and some promising young talent — ALL of which are playing some of the ugliest hockey of their careers. That in combination with it mirroring Torts’ last two long-term stints makes it painfully obvious what needs to happen.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Fire. The game is absolute mess with the puck, breakouts suck, even if they get on offensive zone they got nothing. Its dead. I honetly hope that I jinx it tho

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
For a coach who is suppose to be a defensive first coach, this team sucks on D and is lucky to have good goalies.

4 players down low leaving 10 feet in front of crease wide open.
PK goes into a diamond and leaves low slot open all the time (i.e. second goal).

On offense.. drops DZ in low and has Laine play point...WTF. You put in a D guy instead of having one of the best shots in the league stay low. Makes no F'ing sense to me. Laine also is not going to be great at stopping a breakaway.

I thought Torts sucked as a coach when he was the Rangers coach, now confirms it. No idea how to use skill.... grind grind grind. Half his roster was banged up because he was having them drop in front of shots.

Dinosaur..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->