Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Since Pistol has been the coach there have been much better coaches available (Q, Trotz, Gallant) the DW missed out on. Unfortunately, that well is dried up right now. I want a change more than most but not for any of the guys mentioned.

I’m going to do some digging to see who else is out there. Hopefully there are some decent replacement candidates still around.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
So you think with any of those coaches we would have worse record than 0-4?

I know a lot of people want PDB gone, me being one of them, but this is not something that happened all of a sudden. You can't expect an old dog to learn new tricks. You said so yourself. I think this is should be shakeup where we hire someone young, who is going to try new **** and adapt the system to the players he has instead of shoving it down their throats. Someone who can maximize the talent he has, instead of lament about the lack of it.

I mean it can't be worse than that BUT, I don't think they'll be 0-82 haha.

That being said, I think it's a terrible idea to get rid of DeBoer after extending him in the offseason, and then just replacing him to replace him. It's such a waste of money, and quite frankly if Wilson does that he goes on the hotseat with ownership. He's not going to do it right away, unless the heat starts coming down on him and he has to do it as a last ditch effort. If they are going to replace him, it needs to be with THE guy, not just some new face and new voice.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I mean it can't be worse than that BUT, I don't think they'll be 0-82 haha.

That being said, I think it's a terrible idea to get rid of DeBoer after extending him in the offseason, and then just replacing him to replace him. It's such a waste of money, and quite frankly if Wilson does that he goes on the hotseat with ownership. He's not going to do it right away, unless the heat starts coming down on him and he has to do it as a last ditch effort.

You don't replace DeBoer just to replace him. You replace him and his coaching staff to bring in a coaching staff that will get the players to play a different system that is more suitable for their talents.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You don't replace DeBoer just to replace him. You replace him and his coaching staff to bring in a coaching staff that will get the players to play a different system that is more suitable for their talents.

Mhmm, but you don't just hire who's ever available. If you're getting someone to renovate your house and all the best contractors and architects are locked up on other deals are you going to hire that guy who works part time at Home Depot to do it instead just to get it done? Because your wife needs a change. Hey who knows, maybe that guy is really talented at woodworking, and design and you'll get a really nice renovation project for cheap. Or maybe you're going to have a Homer Simpson glue project kitchen.

No one interesting is available, and ya maybe Berube's story will inspire people to look at lesser options, but I doubt lightning strikes twice on that story.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Mhmm, but you don't just hire who's ever available. If you're getting someone to renovate your house and all the best contractors and architects are locked up on other deals are you going to hire that guy who works part time at Home Depot to do it instead just to get it done? Because your wife needs a change. Hey who knows, maybe that guy is really talented at woodworking, and design and you'll get a really nice renovation project for cheap. Or maybe you're going to have a Homer Simpson glue project kitchen.

No one interesting is available, and ya maybe Berube's story will inspire people to look at lesser options, but I doubt lightning strikes twice on that story.

That's an extreme comparison to make for the situation and not at all an accurate representation of what's available for the team's needs at this point. I don't care if people find Hitchcock interesting or not. If he was willing to come to San Jose to coach, he'd be a good pickup for what they need right now. Any retread or any assistant that puts focus on defensive play and a more conservative approach to playing regularly would be a welcome replacement for DeBoer. Those types of coaches are abundantly available.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Guy Boucher is available. He’s obviously a polarizing figure. Personally, I’ve always liked him.

If DW went the AHL route (no, not Roy), Sheldon Keefe in Toronto, and old friend of the show, Jay Leach in Providence would be great options.

If you can hire assistant coaches mid-season then I’d look at Todd Nelson in Dallas, Marco Sturm in LA, Marc Crawford in Chicago.

These are just some more options to consider before we send our petition to Hasso and Doug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Guy Boucher is available. He’s obviously a polarizing figure. Personally, I’ve always liked him.

If DW went the AHL route (no, not Roy), Sheldon Keefe in Toronto, and old friend of the show, Jay Leach in Providence would be great options.

If you can hire assistant coaches mid-season then I’d look at Todd Nelson in Dallas, Marco Sturm in LA, Marc Crawford in Chicago.

These are just some more options to consider before we send our petition to Hasso and Doug.

Again the major issue is with these NHL Assistants/AHL/College coaches is these guys are all under contract, in the beginning of the season. No organization is going to let these guys go at this stage. If you were Dubas or Shanny would you let your AHL team's head coach walk in October to help another NHL team when he's developing and coaching your players? I can see it done in the offseason but during the season is going to be nearly impossible.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Again the major issue is with these NHL Assistants/AHL/College coaches is these guys are all under contract, in the beginning of the season. No organization is going to let these guys go at this stage. If you were Dubas or Shanny would you let your AHL team's head coach walk in October to help another NHL team when he's developing and coaching your players? I can see it done in the offseason but during the season is going to be nearly impossible.
Yeah, wishful thinking on my part I guess. Although it would never hurt to ask.

Reactions: greasysnapper

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Wasn't Guy Boucher the coach in Tampa when that one game went down against Philly where Tampa was running the modern day (post lockout eliminating the two line pass rule) NZ trap with 0 forecheckers, and Philly was upset so they refused to advance the puck?

If that's the case, bring in Boucher. We need this team to tighten up defensively big time, even if it means playing a boring 1-3-1 system (at least temporarily).

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
It's such a waste of money, .

Not really, because PDB won't just be sitting at home collecting paychecks. For his long-term career, he'll seek another job and considering his track records of 2 finals and another conf final app, he'll get another job and we won't be wasting money. Hell Todd McLellan is still an HC in the league. PDB and his two finals appearances still will get him at least 2-3 more NHL HC gigs before the NHL world begins to appreciate that he's a hack.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wasn't Guy Boucher the coach in Tampa when that one game went down against Philly where Tampa was running the modern day (post lockout eliminating the two line pass rule) NZ trap with 0 forecheckers, and Philly was upset so they refused to advance the puck?

If that's the case, bring in Boucher. We need this team to tighten up defensively big time, even if it means playing a boring 1-3-1 system (at least temporarily).

Yes, that was Guy Boucher’s Tampa team. And I’d be happy with bringing Boucher in.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Hitchcock is a ****ing dinosaur in this league. It's not coincidence that he had and lost 3 HC jobs in 3 years. His style is outdated and you'd hate it from day 1. You guys are definitely pulling "a grass is greener" mentality by even suggesting him.

This point has really opened my eyes to this board. People can be like "we need to fire PDB because xyz this is all his fault, the team performs in spite of him!" then turn around and suggest guys like Hitchcock or Yeo.

All the sudden I'm questioning if PDB is actually that big of a problem and instead it's just the players complete lack of ability to execute. I said it before but it's not Petes systems to throw suicide passes up the middle of hte ice in the D zone or to pass on a 3 on 1 to Thornton or get super cute at the blue line and turn the puck over

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Fire PDB, Spott, and any other PDB guy other than Boughner. Name Boughner Interim HC. Load him up with former HC's as AC's, which is the current rage in the NHL. For the ACs, take whoever you can get: Guy Boucher, Ken Hitchcock, Ted Nolan, Dan Bylsma etc. DW can sell the AC jobs as auditioning for NHL openings in the summer.

As crazy it sounds, the guy I'd call, if the bridge isn't totally burnt, to be an Assistant Coach is Ron Wilson. In retrospect, he was fired after three consecutive seasons of some bad puck luck in the second round. 05-06: If the Sharks score in OT in Game 3 vs EDM, who knows what happens. 06-07: Sharks were some unlucky bounces from sweeping Red Wings, and of course, 30 seconds away from being up 3-1. 07-08: Bad puck luck in close games of Games 1-3 vs. Dallas, if things change, who knows what happens in that series. He's only 64.

Maybe even bring him back as HC. I know I know, it sounds crazy, but in retrospect, RW >>>>>> PDB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TMac.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This point has really opened my eyes to this board. People can be like "we need to fire PDB because xyz this is all his fault, the team performs in spite of him!" then turn around and suggest guys like Hitchcock or Yeo.

All the sudden I'm questioning if PDB is actually that big of a problem and instead it's just the players complete lack of ability to execute. I said it before but it's not Petes systems to throw suicide passes up the middle of hte ice in the D zone or to pass on a 3 on 1 to Thornton or get super cute at the blue line and turn the puck over

But it is Pete's system to have defensemen pinch at the offensive blue line to try and cut the transition and it fails regularly and causes odd-man rushes against. I don't blame Pete entirely for the puck management issues but I do blame him entirely for the odd-man rushes against that occur with great regularity.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I absolutely would not mind if the team fires Deboer as I do have issues with his scheme and how the scheme fits the team. Somehow, PDB apparently makes it work even though we hate it. As much as I'd like to move on, it's practically impossible to really know which coaches out there are worth hiring so you're really have to take a lot of information into consideration before it's worth making that gamble on a new coach. So, everybody would love to bring in that perfect coach as we've seen consistently that coaching in the NHL has proven to be pretty important but since nobody actually scouts coaches so for fans like us, it's easiest to look at re-treads like Hitchcock or jump on hype trains like Keefe. For me, guys like Yeo, Bylsma, and Hitchcock are the absolute worst options out there. I don't explicitly hate re-treads but these guys have failed multiple times at the NHL level in recent years. They should not be an option.

But...for the record, I've always been interested in Ralph Krueger. IMO he was the only good coach that Edmonton had in the last decade and I'm kind of jealous that he's in Buffalo. I also think the Roy Sommer could be a competent interim coach. He obviously doesn't have a great urge to be an NHL coach, and whenever he's had a remotely talented team, he's gotten them to the playoffs. I think he could fit the bill for a few months to stabilize the team and be okay with the demotion when the front office finds a new coach.

Jul 10, 2010

believe he was also the coach of Ottawa when EK carried them to OT of game 7 vs Pittsburgh in the ECF

Not saying i advocate the replacing of PDB, because frankly i believe our results are more to do with a lack of plater ability than coaching, but getting a guy who can win with star dman is one thing i would get behind. Since its obvious we dont have the assets, prospects or cap space to get more horses for the forward corps

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Lmfao. What a quote.

Also glad to see he thinks so lowly of our players that we need a dumbed down system for them.

Not to mention they’re so dumb it’s taken them 4 games to start figuring it out, or whatever the heck he said the other day, despite playing in the system last year.

Yikes

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’m not against replacing him but you guys ridiculously nitpick every quote. He’s obviously joking and complimenting another coach. I haven’t seen a single thing he said so far that’s really upset me the way everyone on this board looks to get upset.

I think he’s weirdly good at adjusting in the playoffs but really bad at it during the season and it’s very bizarre. I find his line combos really dumb sometimes and his attachment to certain players irritating. I like his system and its over-aggression but either the players are bad at it or there are issues in it that need to be addressed.

that said, everyone still makes dumb ass passes and back checks SUPER lazily. I blame the players as much if not more than DeBoer and now it’s gotten to the point where everyone is overthinking and totally lost their confidence. They need a couple of wins and they’ll look significantly better when they calm the hell down.

Reactions: Boy Hedican
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad