Fire Deboer

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Tippet, Sutter or Bylsma.

One's coaching an NHL team, one's retired and loving it, and the other sucks. I think that's the main reason why DeBoer is safe right now. There's no one actually good that's available. If they can DeBoer it'll be like Spott or The Boogieman as the interim head coach and I don't see that as the answer.

In my mind, PDB has to change some things up though. Just toss it in a blender, and experiment like he should have during preseason and hope to create magic. Put Thornton in a top 6 role even if he's slow. Bring up Korenar (who was terrible) or Shortridge. Play with 4 forwards and 1 dman. DO SOMETHING. I like DeBoer a lot but he's not a creature of change, that's for sure. Right now what they're doing just isn't working.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
It's the exact same as last year. Turn over leading to high danger shot, if no goal, we head back down to the O-zone, shoot from the point, turn the puck over, and it comes back to our end. It didn't work at the start of last year, it won't work this year either. Jones is struggling, but he does get left out to dry a lot.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
One's coaching an NHL team, one's retired and loving it, and the other sucks. I think that's the main reason why DeBoer is safe right now. There's no one actually good that's available. If they can DeBoer it'll be like Spott or The Boogieman as the interim head coach and I don't see that as the answer.

In my mind, PDB has to change some things up though. Just toss it in a blender, and experiment like he should have during preseason and hope to create magic. Put Thornton in a top 6 role even if he's slow. Bring up Korenar (who was terrible) or Shortridge. Play with 4 forwards and 1 dman. DO SOMETHING. I like DeBoer a lot but he's not a creature of change, that's for sure. Right now what they're doing just isn't working.

Here was the coaching resume of Stanley Cup Champion Craig Berube when the St. Louis Blues hired him in November of 2018:

upload_2019-10-9_0-13-29.png

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009

Oops. I googled coaches available and the article I looked at must've been old.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

So you think with any of those coaches we would have worse record than 0-4?

I know a lot of people want PDB gone, me being one of them, but this is not something that happened all of a sudden. You can't expect an old dog to learn new tricks. You said so yourself. I think this is should be shakeup where we hire someone young, who is going to try new shit and adapt the system to the players he has instead of shoving it down their throats. Someone who can maximize the talent he has, instead of lament about the lack of it.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
But why oh why didn't Doug Wilson go back in time, take out Tallon and spend years cultivating a relationship with Quenneville. We totally could have fired PDB last year and got him but Wilson is too scared of time travel

Do we really think Bylsma or, as someone said in a different thread, Yeo are going to save the day?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
But why oh why didn't Doug Wilson go back in time, take out Tallon and spend years cultivating a relationship with Quenneville. We totally could have fired PDB last year and got him but Wilson is too scared of time travel

Do we really think Bylsma or, as someone said in a different thread, Yeo are going to save the day?
I think we should roll the die with Hitchcock if he is willing to return as an interim coach. Or try to see if Sutter can un-retire. I do think that neither Bylsma or Yeo are going to going to help. We need to play a system which is defensively responsible.

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
We need a new coach. And yet, I see the team trending up and playing better over the next few weeks, which will save DeBoer. There were some bright spots in last night’s game which tells me the team will right the ship. The challenge is that even if we improve and make it into the playoffs, I don’t think we will win the cup with DeBoer. If this is indeed a transition year, then it might make sense to hold on to the coaching staff for the year and make a move in the off season or next year when more coaches are available.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I think we should roll the die with Hitchcock if he is willing to return as an interim coach. Or try to see if Sutter can un-retire. I do think that neither Bylsma or Yeo are going to going to help. We need to play a system which is defensively responsible.
Its' all a moot point. If PDB is fired midseason, we all know Roy Sommer is going to get the Sharks HC job as the interim guy, right?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Id rather watch PDB figure it out than watch Hitchcock style hockey.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd rather Hitchcock it to make the kids more defensively responsible than try to run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Absolutely, this team no longer gives a wit about defensive play and with the talent they have, they need to make that priority number one.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
DeBoer shouldn't have been extended in the off season. Yes, the Sharks made the conference finals, but the regular season had some glaring issues that where overlooked by the small sample size which is the playoffs (and even there, issues were present).

One of the things that will prevent a quick firing of DeBoer is that there is a narrative that Jones gets off to slow starts. That narrative will give DeBoer enough slack to make it into December.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
DeBoer shouldn't have been extended in the off season. Yes, the Sharks made the conference finals, but the regular season had some glaring issues that where overlooked by the small sample size which is the playoffs (and even there, issues were present).

One of the things that will prevent a quick firing of DeBoer is that there is a narrative that Jones gets off to slow starts. That narrative will give DeBoer enough slack to make it into December.

The main point is that he led us to the Conference Finals. That is a massive deal.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
The main point is that he led us to the Conference Finals. That is a massive deal.

It's frustrating because we made it there not because of PDB. The teams that PDB coached were not some scrub teams that he got to over achieve, they were more or less stacked. 2016 we had some of the best forwards in the league during the regular season, who continued to beast it through the playoffs. Last year we were absolutely stacked but got derailed by injuries. PDB hasn't been relevant to this team since his first year here. He's slowly degraded into what we see today, and it's pretty terrible

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd rather Hitchcock it to make the kids more defensively responsible than try to run around like chickens with their heads cut off.
Hitchcock is a f***ing dinosaur in this league. It's not coincidence that he had and lost 3 HC jobs in 3 years. His style is outdated and you'd hate it from day 1. You guys are definitely pulling "a grass is greener" mentality by even suggesting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->