Fire Chia Thread III: Security Blanket Gone, Nowhere to Run Nowhere to Hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Yup, if two respected coaches fail with the roster, it's a shitty roster. That's on chia. Hopefully he'll try and fire guys like Bob Green before he's terminated.

Reactions: TheNumber4

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yup, if two respected coaches fail with the roster, it's a ****ty roster. That's on chia. Hopefully he'll try and fire guys like Bob Green before he's terminated.
Green is Lowe's guy. He's not going anywhere.

Reactions: Summary

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Honestly, the way Hitchcock's contract is laid out Chiarelli is done. Barring us winning the cup how often does a new coach only sign for the season. There were some good options out there but no coach is going to sign with a team that has the uncertainty of the GM.

Reactions: frag2

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Honestly, the way Hitchcock's contract is laid out Chiarelli is done. Barring us winning the cup how often does a new coach only sign for the season. There were some good options out there but no coach is going to sign with a team that has the uncertainty of the GM.

Very much agree that unless the Oilers have a sublime finish to the year that Chia is done.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
lol, Chiarelli getting killed in the Sportsnet poll on who's most responsible for the Oilers problems (coach or GM or players). Over 80% of the vote for Chia.

Reactions: rickysusedsht

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
It’s as plain as day to even hard core apologists now that Chia has stunk out the joint. The few defenders now are essentially flat-earthers. The question now, barring some miraculous run, should turn to who keeps him from doing anything dumb between now and when he gets canned, and who replaces him.

Reactions: harpoon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s as plain as day to even hard core apologists now that Chia has stunk out the joint. The few defenders now are essentially flat-earthers. The question now, barring some miraculous run, should turn to who keeps him from doing anything dumb between now and when he gets canned, and who replaces him.

Are there any apologists even left?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Question for Oil Fans: Who would you rather have? Chia or Tambellini?

Reason I'm comparing those 2. Is one is supremely active and the other did absolutely nothing. Sometimes I think the GM job is firing as much bullets as you can and hope that they hit. Chia for all his weaknesses has no problem finding bullets to shoot.

I'm a hugely critical of Chia, but there is one thing I'll give him credit for. The sheer volume of his moves. Now of course once those moves are made you have to judge the results of said moves. And the results have been a mixed bag at best, and at worst horrific. But the dude can find moves to make, seems to have enough connections around the League to find moves (albeit mediocre ones).

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Tambi

He did almost nothing positive but he was nowhere near as actively detrimental as Chia is.

Is it a credit to you if you make a lot of moves and as a result of those moves the team is significantly worse off?

Would you keep investing with someone who loses you thousands of dollars just because they make a lot of trades?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Reason I'm comparing those 2. Is one is supremely active and the other did absolutely nothing. Sometimes I think the GM job is firing as much bullets as you can and hope that they hit. Chia for all his weaknesses has no problem finding bullets to shoot.

I'm a hugely critical of Chia, but there is one thing I'll give him credit for. The sheer volume of his moves. Now of course once those moves are made you have to judge the results of said moves. And the results have been a mixed bag at best, and at worst horrific. But the dude can find moves to make, seems to have enough connections around the League to find moves (albeit mediocre ones).

Tambellini without question.

In fairness to him too, he was brought here to basically tank and do the "Pittsburgh thing" of winning top draft picks. At least he accomplished that, the danger with that kind of rebuild is always that you could be screwed if you get an RNH or Yakupov instead of a Tavares or Stamkos.

Buffalo was going through a similar thing until they finally hit the jackpot with Dahlin. We got gifted McDavid too, but then have done little with it.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
For some odd reason seems to be a sup around of support of McLellan and straight blaming Chiarelli. Both need to be gone but it seems the journalists don't do their research towards when GM's get fired. Right now the best move is to limit his abilities by making trades and roster moves having to go through a third source. Other than that he needs to be replaced in the Summer. Honestly, it feels like a bunch of reporters who only look at stats and haven't watched a single game

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If Hitch gets us into a playoff spot Chia will go balls out at the deadline and prove all the haters wrong, or possibly right. What an excitedly terrifying scenario.

Making or not making the playoffs doesn't vindicate Peter Chiarelli.

His moves are what they are, McDavid dragging this team to the playoffs doesn't suddenly make the Reinhart trade ok or the Lucic signing any less terrible.

The thought of him being "balls out" is terrifying if what we've seen so far has been the smart, sensible version of Peter Chiarelli.

Reactions: Soundwave

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi

I'm going to have to go with Chia. I understand why most will probably say Tambellini, but at least Chia does things. Those things were usually wrong mind you. but... he does... things. I"m not sure Tambellini knew where he was 1/2 the time.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
They would have to do really terribly for Chia to get fired before the end of the season. Like things are so bad that Hitch decides retirement was better than this and walks away. Chia bought himself the rest of this season, but not one more day beyond it if things don't turn around in a big way.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Since the Hall trade, Chai's hasn't made any big moves, nor has he made many small ones...

Related to the backup goalie...
Gustavsson --> Brossoit --> Montoya --> Koskinen

For trades (involving NHL skaters) you have...
Davidson for DD
Eberle for Strome
Cammy for Jokinen
Maroon for a pick
Davidson for a pick
Letestu for Aberg
Strome for Spooner

and NHL UFA signings since Hall/Lucic...
Rieder
Brodziak
Chiasson
Garrison
Auvitu
Russell
Benning

So since the Hall trade/Lucic signing, he's added zero top 6 talent, and one (very average) top 4 guy... I mean, Koskinen is his biggest add in a year and a half.

If he were still making moves like Kassian for Scrivens, or Maroon for Gernat, actual NHL'ers for nothing, I'd give Chia more slack. But he's shown he can't upgrade this roster, and we haven't seen a trade that purely adds it in over 2 years, just ones that swap deck chairs.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One final thing I will be curious to see is how Chia and the new staff get along.

It's just a guess, but I get the odd feeling TMac and Chia didn't see eye to eye on the roster, and there was a bit of power struggle as both guys wanted different things. Nor do I think Todd took well to having to having new assistants forced on him.

Reactions: Gone

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
One final thing I will be curious to see is how Chia and the new staff get along.

It's just a guess, but I get the odd feeling TMac and Chia didn't see eye to eye on the roster, and there was a bit of power struggle as both guys wanted different things. Nor do I think Todd took well to having to having new assistants forced on him.

Rumor was that TM was pissed with Chia for trading Eberle. That deal essentially killed any secondary scoring that we had left. Eberle and RNH provided excellent secondary offence and were a big part of us getting into the playoffs.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Guys like it or not Chia is most likely going to be the guy who has to trade Puljujärvi. Even though trading him now before his value drops any further is the right move it scares me what Chia will do. I’m hoping there is a peer review requirement in place before pulling the trigger on this trade.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Guys like it or not Chia is most likely going to be the guy who has to trade Puljujärvi. Even though trading him now before his value drops any further is the right move it scares me what Chia will do. I’m hoping there is a peer review requirement in place before pulling the trigger on this trade.

Don't think so. Guys like lowe etc are the real bosses we don't see. They got to approve all these moves.

I can't see nuge pool klefbom etc being moved by chia. He just is working on borrowed time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->