"Fire Chia" chant at every remaining game, at the 5 minute mark of each period.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know there are other threads about the complete and utter ineptness that is Chia, but I wanted something that more of an actionable item. Hopefully the mods are okay with this.

We need to start "Fire Chia" chants at every remaining home game, regardless of the score. I'm suggesting the 5:00 minute mark of each period. This will allow most people to get back to their seats and get involved in the chant.

How can we gain traction for this, other than this board? I know it's tough to actually pull this off, but what other choice do we have? I'm also thinking about starting a gofundme or something similar for a billboard or potentially social media advertising, but I'll post that on the dedicated "Chia thread".

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I know there are other threads about the complete and utter ineptness that is Chia, but I wanted something that more of an actionable item. Hopefully the mods are okay with this.

We need to start "Fire Chia" chants at every remaining home game, regardless of the score. I'm suggesting the 5:00 minute mark of each period. This will allow most people to get back to their seats and get involved in the chant.

How can we gain traction for this, other than this board? I know it's tough to actually pull this off, but what other choice do we have? I'm also thinking about starting a gofundme or something similar for a billboard or potentially social media advertising, but I'll post that on the dedicated "Chia thread".

I'd chip in for a Billboard. Is there one close to Rogers or on the way to Rogers? #FireChiarelli

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I think we need a billboard for everyone in a suit outside of the coaching staff. Chiarelli is 4 years bad, Oilers are going on two decades bad.

Reactions: thadd

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
or ... you know .... don't go to the games at all. Nobody cares if your paying for it.

Its like buying a hotdog and then rounding around in a circle yelling .... "I hate this hotdog!"

No, it's not at all actually. Lots and lots of people have bought tickets in advance, and are being subjugated to idiocy all around. The people who are dumb enough to buy a ticket on the same day, sure, but for all the people who bought in advance (which is the vast majority), they have every right to voice displeasure during the game.

The people that the Oilers *should* be listening to are exactly the people who buy tickets in advance. Not listening to these customers would be monumentally stupid. If season ticket holders are screaming for the OBCs heads, that means that your most loyal, highest RPU, customers are telling you exactly what they think. No corporation would be dumb enough to not listen to these people.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I like the idea of a billboard more than social media marketing, just because the billboard would get mainstream coverage.

I'd like to have a website or something to link the billboard to. Something like katzfiretheobc.com would do pretty well I would think. Does anybody have any other ideas for a catchy URL? Additionally, does anybody have any website coding skill? Mine has been gone for quite some time, lol.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
No, it's not at all actually. Lots and lots of people have bought tickets in advance, and are being subjugated to idiocy all around. The people who are dumb enough to buy a ticket on the same day, sure, but for all the people who bought in advance (which is the vast majority), they have every right to voice displeasure during the game.

The people that the Oilers *should* be listening to are exactly the people who buy tickets in advance. Not listening to these customers would be monumentally stupid. If season ticket holders are screaming for the OBCs heads, that means that your most loyal, highest RPU, customers are telling you exactly what they think. No corporation would be dumb enough to not listen to these people.

$$ and empty seats will speak louder than anything else, and they might not care what the average consumer thinks. Maybe the people and corporations that blindly buy tickets, sure.

Anyways, that said. How many times has this happened now? so many. Its nothing new, its just sad this time round because we have such a good player on our hands.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Cancelling your season tickets would have a bigger effect.

No... it really wouldn't. Katz won't be substituting his champagne for sparkling wine any time soon, and with a draw like McDavid, there will always be a waiting list.

There's only one way to sway a billionaire, and that's by publicly embarrassing him. Any kind of protest that will make headlines on all the sports shows, and become a topic of conversation in the hockey world, would most likely do the trick. (Suggestion: Off the top of my head, large signs or a billboard reading "SELL IT TO SOMEONE WHO CARES, DARYL", complete with a picture of his face, of course). Stay away from something as unremarkable as "Fire Chiarelli' (though that's the goal)... to make waves it must be clever, memorable, personal, and embarrassing.

A few dozen determined season ticket holders could have Chiarelli finally booted into ECHL obscurity in a matter of days... but alas, like the owner himself, few of them really care about the hockey.

I could really change the world... if I cared. - Ricky Gervais

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tremor

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ugh.

Nothing lamer than a bunch of fans that think they are smarter than a GM chanting to get him fired at a game.

Very tasteless.

Obviously Chiarelli is losing what little credibility he has left just let it go naturally.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Serious question...do current STH not renewing really have that much of an effect though? The way I see it is, the Oilers have a wait list that is probably a mile long. Someone cancels them or doesn't renew, no problem...the ticket staff pick up the phone and they probably have them sold in an hour or less. I suppose the real question I should be asking is this: are the real numbers of STH dropping, as in even those on the waitlist are also refusing to buy them now?

My opinion is if someone has been on the waitlist for a while and they still have the money to snap up X number of seats when "Edmonton Oilers" shows up on the call display, I imagine they'll get snapped up.

The same probably goes with the corporate boxes. I imagine if Company A let's theirs go, Company F is waiting in the wings to grab them. Katz doesn't give a rats ass who's in the seats, corporate or seasons, just as long as someone is in them and has paid him their money.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What about taking out a full page add in the Sun, just like Katz does every year when we miss the playoffs. The apology letter. Except there will be no apology, just an outline of mismanagement, cataloguing all of Chiarelli’s moves and inquiring what Nicholson’s mystery “plan” was going back to last year.

Was this the “plan?” If it was, it didn’t work and should be a fireable offence. If it wasn’t, then it’s a failure to execute and should be a fireable offence.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Ugh.

Nothing lamer than a bunch of fans that think they are smarter than a GM chanting to get him fired at a game.

Very tasteless.

Obviously Chiarelli is losing what little credibility he has left just let it go naturally.

This comment would be perfectly reasonable if we'd unearthed it from a time capsule buried two years ago.

The pull of authority is strong, but anywhere you go in life, you'll be surprised to learn that a percentage of people at the pinnacle of any profession are actually just as dumb as the loudmouth at the end of the bar. Yes, a bunch of us ARE smarter than Peter Chiarelli... most of us, by all indications. The guy just fell into a career as a G.M. through an incredibly lucky series of unlikely occurrences. That happens. He wasn't designed by Zenu with a superior hockey mind to the rest of us. Some of us might have been very good G.M.'s, but decided to pursue other career paths, like in fields that actually matter.

Reactions: Aerrol

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Wasnt there a heavily publisized meeting before a game several years ago in front of Rexall for either the 'Lowe must go' or 'Fire MacT' crowd, and then like less than 10 people showed up for it?

Reactions: Senor Catface

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
Ugh.

Very tasteless.

You don't have to be that smart to see the obvious dysfunctional situation with this team , it's been going on for 10 years ever since Kevin Lowe took over hockey operations, hmmm coincidence??? I think the fans who pay top dollar for this gong show , and who are arguably the most passionate in this league deserve a lot better and accountability, no? Or maybe you're just smarter than all of us and you can see the grand scheme that will finally blossom through, Lol?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Word to the wise. If youre paying 200 a game to see this clusterf*** you will be kicked out if you chant anything negative about chia or the players.

Just look at the press conference today. Not a single tough question. Nothing about Lucic or his bad moves.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Katz loves money

hit him where it hurts...his pocketbook and simply don't show up

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Serious question...do current STH not renewing really have that much of an effect though? The way I see it is, the Oilers have a wait list that is probably a mile long. Someone cancels them or doesn't renew, no problem...the ticket staff pick up the phone and they probably have them sold in an hour or less. I suppose the real question I should be asking is this: are the real numbers of STH dropping, as in even those on the waitlist are also refusing to buy them now?

My opinion is if someone has been on the waitlist for a while and they still have the money to snap up X number of seats when "Edmonton Oilers" shows up on the call display, I imagine they'll get snapped up.

The same probably goes with the corporate boxes. I imagine if Company A let's theirs go, Company F is waiting in the wings to grab them. Katz doesn't give a rats ass who's in the seats, corporate or seasons, just as long as someone is in them and has paid him their money.

I get what you're saying.. But I think the guaranteed days of a long wait list for season tickets is starting to come to an end. The novelty of the new Arena is fading.. and I'm not even sure McDavid now can convince people to continually support a losing product. The fanbase is frustrated as hell with the losing.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
I get what you're saying.. But I think the guaranteed days of a long wait list for season tickets is starting to come to an end. The novelty of the new Arena is fading.. and I'm not even sure McDavid now can convince people to continually support a losing product. The fanbase is frustrated as hell with the losing.
It’s not just the losing part now though , it’s the revolving door of coaches and Gms that come and go and now it’s finally obvious to everyone that it’s the boneheads at the top that need to go , a whole new culture, and it looks like that’s never gonna change so we’re screwed, and mcdavids career is screwed unless he gets out of dodge which I wouldn’t blame him for one bit.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
I can ramble on and on what else is wrong with this Org but another thing that really screws up the whole team is the whole love affair management gives to the star players that totally alienates the rest of the team. The whole Oil Change joke , concentrating mostly on the three kids and Schultz before they even deserved it, and in turn they get the media in on the hype, so it becomes one big circle j*rk between the OBC and the media OBC, which then in turn hyped up the fans. Same thing now with Mcdavid, trust me I get it , he’s freakin amazing , but really it becomes nauseating to hear how amazing he is and he’s going to save the team , bring us to the promise land, how many times does gene principe have to remind players how great it must be to play with mcdavid, it’s already way past ridiculous.there is absolutely no team building culture in this organization , just a bunch of nepotistic egomaniacs, in management and media. It’s no wonder hall and eberle thought they were the king of the world here.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003

That is the only effect they care about.
When ticket sales dry up, change will happen. Until then, no matter what you chant, if you are at the game you are part of the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad