Finnish Top Prospects part II

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
With the WJC’s and Olympics behind us, and guys like Ortio and younger Granlund making a decent start in the NHL, how would you rank the players and prospects born in the 90's now? Maybe a top-10 or top-20 using a seven to 10-year projection forecast? if you want to leave out the goalies and/or the younger prospects, that's just fine. Would be interesting to see how different people perceive the situation now.

Just as a reminder, here are some of the better Finnish players/prospect born between ’90 and ’99:

Teemu Hartikainen (-90) - Jani Lajunen (-90) - Michael Keränen (-90)/Jere Sallinen (-90)
Teemu Eronen (-90) - Kristian Näkyvä (-90)
Joni Ortio (-91)

Toni Rajala (-91) - Erik Haula (-91) - Iiro Pakarinen (-91)
Jyrki Jokipakka (-91) - Sami Vatanen (-91)
Sami Aittokallio (-92)

Joonas Donskoi (-92) - Mikael Granlund (-92) - Teemu Pulkkinen (-92)
Petteri Lindbohm (-93) - Jani Hakanpää (-92)
Ville Kolppanen (-92)

Miikka Salomäki (-93) - Markus Granlund (-93) - Joel Armia (-93)
Esa Lindell (-94) - Ville Pokka (-94)
Joonas Korpisalo (-94)

Saku Mäenalanen (-94) - Teuvo Teräväinen (-94) - Miro Aaltonen (-93)/Henri Ikonen (-94)
Olli Määttä (-94) - Rasmus Ristolainen (-94)
Juuse Saros (-95)

Artturi Lehkonen (-95) - Aleksander Barkov (-95) - Juho Lammikko (-96)/Waltteri Hopponen (-96)
Alex Lintuniemi (-95) - Julius Honka (-95)
Ville Husso (-95)

Mikko Rantanen (-96) - Roope Hintz (-96) - Kasperi Kapanen (-96)
Sami Niku (-96) - Eetu Sopanen (-96)
Kaapo Kähkönen (-96)

Sebastian Aho (-97) - Julius Nättinen (-97) - Aleksi Saarela (-97)
Ville Järvinen (-97) - Veeti Vainio (-97)
Veini Vehviläinen (-97)

Patrik Laine (-98) - Otto Mäkinen (-98) - Jesse Puljujärvi (-98)
Markus Niemeläinen (-98) - Olli Juolevi (-98)
Leevi Laakso (-98)

Eeli Tolvanen (-99) - Janne Kuokkanen (-98) - Sami Moilanen (-99)/Kristian Vesalainen (-99)
Juuso Välimäki (-98) - Urho Vaakanainen (-99)
Eetu Mäkiniemi (-99)

start

Mar 6, 2014
The class of -98 and -97 seems pretty damn good. Laine is my relative so I have watched a lot of the u17 games this year and the whole team looks pretty promising. I'm expecting couple of first round picks and a strong team in the junior WC after a couple of years.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Wathing Kärpät A-Jokerit A now and Puljujärvi's skating looks really really good. Compared to Mäenalanen who is also playing it's amazing. Some issues with balance but really solid for 187cm tall 15 year old.

Crazy to think what this guy can be in few years.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
With the WJC’s and Olympics behind us, and guys like Ortio and younger Granlund making a decent start in the NHL, how would you rank the players and prospects born in the 90's now? Maybe a top-10 or top-20 using a seven to 10-year projection forecast? if you want to leave out the goalies and/or the younger prospects, that's just fine. Would be interesting to see how different people perceive the situation now.

1. Barkov
2. Määttä
3. Laine
4. Ristolainen
5. Puljujärvi
6. Mi. Granlund
7. Juolevi
8. Teräväinen
9. Vatanen
10. Saros
11. Pokka
12. Honka
13. Saarela
14. Kapanen
15. Ma. Granlund
16. Pulkkinen
17. Armia
18. Ortio
19. Jokipakka
20. Salomäki

Left out because of age Välimäki, Vaakanainen

Top 10 should be elite/good nhl players, rest should at least make it to nhl.

Last edited:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

Finally a positive problem. After the first obvious ones, ranking these gets a lot harder. I'll rank goalies separately.

1. Barkov
2. Määttä
3. Laine
4. Puljujärvi
5. Ristolainen
6. Mi. Granlund
7. Teräväinen
8. Honka
9. Vatanen
10. Kapanen
11. Saarela
12. Lehkonen
13. Rantanen
14. Pokka
15. Ma. Granlund
16. Pulkkinen
17. Armia
18. Salomäki
19. Hakanpää
20. Jokipakka

I tried to rank by potential, but if I saw notable weaknesses that could potentially make the prospect bust, I would take it in consideration (see guys like Armia ranked low). I only took the most notable and familiar prospects to me from the youngest generations, so guys like Juolevi and Vaakanainen could crack the top-10 later.

I'm happy, as I could see all these guys become NHLers, and the top-5 all have a chance to become real superstars. After them, we still have good star-potential, so the situation seems good at the moment.

Goalies:

1. Saros
2. Ortio
3. Kähkönen
4. Husso
5. Aittokallio
6. Kolppanen

Didn't rank Korpisalo and the youngest goalies here. Saros is in my opinion the most talented one here, it's a shame that he's so short. Ortio's performances lately have impressed me, and he looks pretty good in NHL which has made him rise in my ranking. Kähkönen and Husso, both have potential, but I've heard some negative news about Kähkönen's training motivation, which I hope isn't true. Husso has been good this year, and I hope he won't falter. Aittokallio's situation is a bit unfamiliar to me at the moment, but I still think he has NHL potential. Kolppanen has been quite impressive this season, but we'll see what happens with him.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
People should also note Erik Haula. Very quietly he's already become a great 4th line center at the age of 22.

Also I'm very encouraged by the development of Henri Ikonen. When he was struggling at Kalpa two years ago, a lot of people wrote him off. He could very well be a NHL player in the future, while the much more hyped Juuso Ikonen has regressed. HI might even get some NHL minutes next year.

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
Hey guys. Im kind of a late bloomer as a fan of hockey. So I dont have that much of knowledge of juniors, or even how to follow them outside of going games. So my question is what kind options I have for following jr liiga games? Sorry if this wrong thread to ask this.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Hey guys. Im kind of a late bloomer as a fan of hockey. So I dont have that much of knowledge of juniors, or even how to follow them outside of going games. So my question is what kind options I have for following jr liiga games? Sorry if this wrong thread to ask this.

Well you can go see games for free or for very little price in most towns.

There is also: https://www.livearena.com/ which shows a lot of games for 10€ per month. Quality varies a lot and there is no commentary but gets the job done.

http://www.finhockey.fi/tulospalvelu/ has the scores and http://www.leijonat.fi/ does articles about the games sometimes.

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
At the moment I believe that the 1998 born age-group is going to be something special for Finland. Not only because of Patrik Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi, but because there's lots of depth and quality players. I have right now Laine ahead of Puljujärvi, although I think both have plenty of potential and the gap between them isn't that big imo.

Otto Mäkinen is another strong prospect who should be an early draft pick if he develops as expected. He's a big winger with a great release, his wrist shot is really strong. A decent skater with skills and smarts, plus he's got solid size at 6'1".

Markus Niemeläinen is a two-way defenseman who doesn't hesitate with his decisions with the puck. Excellent size at nearly 6'4", skates well both ways and has smarts without the puck. Could bulk up somewhat, but he has the skills of a really strong NHL prospect.

Oliver Felixson is a defenseman whose size and skills are something to watch. He's 6'5", makes solid decisions and he can shoot the puck like a rocket. Consistency is something I would like to see more from him, but he's got so much potential as a two-way defenseman. He's also developed a lot over the last two seasons.

Some other strong prospects are Aapeli Räsänen and Otto Somppi. Janne Kuokkanen and Olli Juolevi are two highly regarded prospects, but I have not seen them too much yet.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Any idea what Jokerit's plan is with Juolevi? Looks like he could be ready for Liiga/Mestis sometime next season. KHL is obviously not an option at this point and playing the whole year in juniors seems like a bad idea for his development.

I've seen him about 5 times and he reminded me a lot of Määttä, big guy with decent skating, strong defensive game and good puck skills.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Any idea what Jokerit's plan is with Juolevi? Looks like he could be ready for Liiga/Mestis sometime next season. KHL is obviously not an option at this point and playing the whole year in juniors seems like a bad idea for his development.

I've seen him about 5 times and he reminded me a lot of Määttä, big guy with decent skating, strong defensive game and good puck skills.

There's so many qouestionmarks around the Jokerit juniors and organization right now that it's impossible to predict what they want to do with him. My guess it's eitehr B-junior or switching teams.

BULKinen

Mar 21, 2013
My ranking:

1. Laine and Puljujärvi
2. Määttä
3. MiG
4. Barkov
5. Teräväinen
6. Ristolainen
7. Vatanen
8. MaG
9. Kapanen
10. Pulkkinen
11. Ortio
12. Saarela
13. Rantanen
14. Pokka
15. Haula
16. Nättinen
17. Armia
18. Aittokallio
19. Honka
20. Lindell

Tough to make a ranking and this will probably look ridiculous 5 years from now. Didn't include 99-born players, Vaakanainen should probably be there in the top 10 somewhere though.

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Saarela and Kapanen seems to be underrated here. Mi.Granlund and Vatanen are not prospects IMO.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
It's pretty hard to rank Saarela at the moment. He's been injured so many times over the past year, that it will be interesting to see has he regressed at all. Next summer and next season will be crucial for him. Who knows if he can ever reach his true potential anymore. Wasn't he described as the most talented European 1997 born skater just a year ago?

I'm hoping that Saarela stays healthy and scores 30+ points next year. Since Kekäläinen left Jokerit, the young guns have been the only reason to follow Liiga at all. Next year seems to be pretty interesting in that regard (at least Saarela, Aho, Nättinen, Vainio, Puljujärvi could play their first full year if FEL. Lehkonen, Kapanen, Rantanen & Lindell hopefully have breakthrough seasons.)

Btw, how would you describe Rantanen's potential. He's only 17yo and already played two year in FEL, but hasn't been a great scorer since Jr.C level. Statistically he had a great Ivan Hlinka, but is he a future top6 forward?

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
There's so many qouestionmarks around the Jokerit juniors and organization right now that it's impossible to predict what they want to do with him. My guess it's eitehr B-junior or switching teams.
I don't think playing in Jr.B makes any sense for his development. He was already the best D in the league this year (the vote) and got some games in A. I'm sure he'll have a spot on Jokerit Jr.A if he wants to stay but could see him moving to an other team too.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think playing in Jr.B makes any sense for his development. He was already the best D in the league this year (the vote) and got some games in A. I'm sure he'll have a spot on Jokerit Jr.A if he wants to stay but could see him moving to an other team too.

It's not even sure where the Jokerit A-junior team will play next year. Other teams don't want them in the league due to Jokerit no longer being in Lüga.

Coaster

Jul 5, 2013
Vaasa
My ranking:

1. Laine and Puljujärvi
2. Määttä
3. MiG
4. Barkov

Laine and Puljujärvi are amazing prospects indeed, but they're only 15 and it's a long way before they even get drafted. At this point I wouldn't rank them 1st. Barkov will be our best forward in two years, Määttä will be the best D man. Granlund is great, but he will not be in the same category.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
Puljujärvi was simply the best player of all Kärpät A team last thursday. And he is still at junior C age. With so many underaged players Kärpät seems to have a bright future. Number 20 was also quite good in that game. Can't remember his name. Mäenalanen was not very good, he tried too much alone.

But Juho Lammikko was better than any of Kärpät players. He simply has went a lot far ahead from what he was last season. He should stop whining to refs and work harder to the defensive direction, but damn he was dangerous every time he had the puck.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Puljujärvi was simply the best player of all Kärpät A team last thursday. And he is still at junior C age. With so many underaged players Kärpät seems to have a bright future. Number 20 was also quite good in that game. Can't remember his name. Mäenalanen was not very good, he tried too much alone.

Vili Saarijärvi -97 born d-man. Really good with a puck and good skating. Too bad he is 174cm tall, would be 1st round prospect otherwise.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

Forwards:
1. Aleksander Barkov
2. Patrik Laine
3. Jesse Puljujärvi
4. Mikael Granlund
5. Teuvo Teräväinen
6. Kasperi Kapanen
7. Teemu Pulkkinen
8. Erik Haula
9. Joel Armia
10. Aleksi Saarela
11. Markus Granlund
12. Artturi Lehkonen
13. Mikko Rantanen
14. Sebastian Aho
15. Julius Nättinen
16. Eeli Tolvanen
17. Juho Lammikko
18. Kristian Vesalainen
19. Henri Ikonen
20. Teemu Hartikainen

Defenders:
1. Rasmus Ristolainen
2. Olli Määttä
3. Urho Vaakanainen
4. Olli Juolevi
5. Veeti Vainio
6. Sami Vatanen
7. Eetu Sopanen
8. Julius Honka
9. Ville Pokka
10. Sami Niku

Goalies:
1. Juuse Saros
2. Kaapo Kähkönen
3. Veini Vehviläinen
4. Joni Ortio
5. Ville Husso

Hard to compare defenders and forwards so I separated them to different lists.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Puljujärvi with another goal tonight(wrist shot from the right point on powerplay). He has 5 goals in 8 games with A-juniors playoffs now.

Looks like he will be ready for Liiga next year as there is no major weaknesses in his game. He has grown to 190cm btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad