Finnish Prospect Update Thread

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Are anyone of you actives able to come up with a finnish prospect talent ranking top 20 or so? So not according to draft year but general talent. Of course I would appriciate if draft year would be next to their rank.. Anyone up for it?
Top 10 for me is (2001-2003 age groups)

1A. Lambert
1B. Kakko
3. Räty
4. Lundell
5. Simontaival
6. Tuomaala
7. Heinola
8. Kemell
9. Kokkonen
10. Juusola

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland

1A. Lambert (2022)
1B. Kakko (2019)
3. Räty (2021)
4. Lundell (2020)
5. Simontaival (2020)
6. Tuomaala (2021)
7. Heinola (2019)
8. Kemell (2022)
9. Kokkonen (2019)
10. Juusola (2021)
Kemell is 2004

I added draft years. Good list.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

1A. Lambert
1B. Kakko
3. Räty
4. Lundell
5. Simontaival
6. Tuomaala
7. Heinola
8. Kemell
9. Kokkonen
10. Juusola
Lambert should probably be 1 and Kakko 2 at this point. Obviously we can't know what Lambert turns into but that should be the current status. I'm not sure about having Simontaival ahead of Tuomaala, I think that Tuomaala should have a superior game.

I know you're not rating 2004s even though you mistakenly have Kemell. Nevertheless, I think that 2004 is going to be one fantastic age group for Finland. Combined with Lambert as a late 2003, I think that'll be Finland's best draft ever.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019

1A. Lambert
1B. Kakko
3. Räty
4. Lundell
5. Simontaival
6. Tuomaala
7. Heinola
8. Kemell
9. Kokkonen
10. Juusola
Very interesting list thank you. Hoe does Lambert production compare to his predecessors at same age and level?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Very interesting list thank you. Hoe does Lambert production compare to his predecessors at same age and level?
He is youngest ever to play in A-sm, so everyone who can be compared with him are older than him.

Lambert has 9th best ppg in A-sm as a U16 player. Laine had 37 points in 40 games but he was on his 15-16 year old season like I think most of the other guys too. Lambert turned 15 in December, so this kind of is his 14-15 year old season as he won't turn 16 during this season. No one else has played in A-sm as a 14 year old like Lambert.

Lambert has 2+9 in 14 games.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Youngest player ever in the league, who do we compare to?

Patrik Laine 8 months older scored 26+11=37 in 40 games(best season ever for the age group), Lambert is at 2+9=11 in 14 games.

But that's before Laine's major knee injury that probably hurt his skating for the rest of his career. During that season, Laine also had 12+5=17 in 7 games with the u17 national team, a year above his age group. But again, I don't think that Laine ever got quite up to that status, if he didn't have the knee injury who knows?

Reactions: FinPanda

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Lambert should probably be 1 and Kakko 2 at this point. Obviously we can't know what Lambert turns into but that should be the current status. I'm not sure about having Simontaival ahead of Tuomaala, I think that Tuomaala should have a superior game.

I know you're not rating 2004s even though you mistakenly have Kemell. Nevertheless, I think that 2004 is going to be one fantastic age group for Finland. Combined with Lambert as a late 2003, I think that'll be Finland's best draft ever.
Yup, Simontaival and Tuomaala are pretty much a toss of a coin for me!

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Top10 forwards 2019-2021 in alphabetical order

Roni Hirvonen
Roby Järventie
Kaapo Kakko
Anton Lundell
Henri Nikkanen
Patrik Puistola
Aatu Räty
Samu Salminen
Kasper Simontaival
Samu Tuomaala

Others forwards that interest me are Antti Saarela, Oliver Suni, Veeti Miettinen, Viljam Sandvik, Verner Miettinen and Niko Huuhtanen

Top10 defenders 2019-2021 in alphabetical order

Kalle Ervasti
Ville Heinola
Viljami Juusola
Mikko Kokkonen
Topi Niemelä
Kasper Puutio
Ruben Rafkin
Christoffer Sedoff
Lassi Thomson
Eemil Viro

Next up would propably be Antti Tuomisto and Atte Lehikoinen. Not a fan of Anttoni Honka ill leave it at that

Dont know about goalies but beem impressed by Joel Blomqvist and Paavo Kohonen in national teams

Obviously Lambert would be on the list but dont know much more about the 2022 draft, Pohjola-Leiri matches start tomorrow so should have better idea who the other top prospects in that draft class are by the end of the week

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Some really nice passes from Elmeri Laakso in Aarnet vs Pasit, great vision. His big rig but skating top speed isnt the best.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Keskinen is not injured but Nyman is. Keskinen have then just something else important.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Does anyone have any idea where Blues Jr forwards Veeti Miettinen and Roni Hirvonen will play next year? Given their performance this year I can't see how spending another year in the Finnish juniors will do them any good. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blues no longer have any sort of adult team, so if either of them want to play professionally within the Greater Helsinki region, that leaves Kiekko Vantaa in the Mestis, HIFK in the Liiga, and Jokerit in the KHL.

Based on everything I've read about their play this year, they'll likely be too good for the Mestis in 2019-20, but would probably not get decent minutes with Jokerit, which leaves HIFK, though if I were them, I wouldn't want to be competing with Lundell and Nordgren for ice time. They can always ply their trade with other teams in the Liiga, as the expansions have opened up new opportunities for young players. Which Liiga teams do you think would provide a good balance of decent ice-time and experience developing high-level prospects?

I assume that neither has any interest in the NCAA or they would have declared by now. The CHL is another option, but Miettinen was eligible for the import draft last year and went undrafted, even though a number of Finnish players with far inferior resumes were taken, so I would imagine he didn't express any interest to CHL teams.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Elmeri Laakso with 8 assists, tournament leader at this point has 9 points. Pretty good for a defenseman... Finland's been seriously lacking in top end D talent(plenty of high-end though) so if he pans out, he'd be a welcome addition.

The 2004s are a pretty incredible age group at least in terms of scoring at this level, by the way. Nyman, Pesonen, Vuorio, Lassila, Kemell are all forwards with very impressive scoring and ones such as Lukkari or Rönni are quite good as well. Then there also is Elmeri Laakso as a D, though I'm not sure about the other ones.

JustAPleb

Feb 14, 2019
Elmeri Laakso with 8 assists, tournament leader at this point has 9 points. Pretty good for a defenseman... Finland's been seriously lacking in top end D talent(plenty of high-end though) so if he pans out, he'd be a welcome addition.

The 2004s are a pretty incredible age group at least in terms of scoring at this level, by the way. Nyman, Pesonen, Vuorio, Lassila, Kemell are all forwards with very impressive scoring and ones such as Lukkari or Rönni are quite good as well. Then there also is Elmeri Laakso as a D, though I'm not sure about the other ones.
Also good defenseman pick is late born Arttu Kärki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->