Finnish National Team 2014-2015 season.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No I wasn't. Not at all. Hännikäinen has been probably the biggest surprise in FEL this year and I would have liked to see him get rewarded.

Sometimes people will have different opinions than you. You just have to learn to accept that.
I'm not saying any of these alternate players mentioned are not NT worthy. What I'm saying is I don't get why people insist they should be with this very particular squad, when there are a fair number more of squads in the pipeline. What difference does it make that they should be in this one instead of the upcoming ones?

For emphasis: All these opinions of a player being worthy of having played well and being rewarded is perfectly fine. I don't argue against the fact that they shouldn't. What I am having hard time to swallow is that people are saying some of them should be in this particular squad over others. Up to this moment, I've not however heard a single justification for acting as if these players were just being snubbed from the only shot they have to prove their mettle. The moment I hear one, I shut up.

Sorry for acting like a donkey's backside. I'm not against this practice in general - I'm prone to it myself. I just think the time for it is at the end of the season, not the beginning. You know, when there's actually some reason to wonder why player X is always there and why player Y never seems to get picked.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jokerit D > NT D in this tournament.

No wonder that team that was stated as "basicly Jokerit" even by haters won World Championship silver last WC.
The best d-men Jokerit have had this season are both foreigners. Exclude them and the corps in this squad are no worse.

Also, the best d-men from that WHC squad are also all in this squad. Only one of 'em is a Jokeri.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Jokerit D > NT D in this tournament.

No wonder that team that was stated as "basicly Jokerit" even by haters won World Championship silver last WC.

Jaakola, Karalahti, Väänänen and Korpikari are the Finnish Jokerit defensemen not on the roster. The first three are decent, but I'd take Hietanen, Mäntylä and Kukkonen over them on most days. I'd also take any player on the NT roster before Korpikari.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So, there have been two changes to the Karjala Cup team:

Sakari Salminen <-> Harri Pesonen
Lasse Kukkonen <-> Jyri Marttinen

The first one is bit of an odd choice since I don't see 'em vying for the same spot, but eh, guess he was simply the next name on KJ's "players to check" list.

The 2nd is the first pick to this team I don't like at all. Marttinen showed last spring that he's mostly dead weight, and given his age, he's not likely to have improved any. Oh well, I s'pose you can't get too picky with late additions, they were probably scrambling to find an at least somewhat suitable one. But I really hope he's not around anymore come the spring.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
So, there have been two changes to the Karjala Cup team:

Sakari Salminen <-> Harri Pesonen
Lasse Kukkonen <-> Jyri Marttinen

The first one is bit of an odd choice since I don't see 'em vying for the same spot, but eh, guess he was simply the next name on KJ's "players to check" list.

The 2nd is the first pick to this team I don't like at all. Marttinen showed last spring that he's mostly dead weight, and given his age, he's not likely to have improved any. Oh well, I s'pose you can't get too picky with late additions, they were probably scrambling to find an at least somewhat suitable one. But I really hope he's not around anymore come the spring.

I don't like the Marttinen pick either, talk about old (and highly questionable) merits...

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I don't like the Marttinen pick either, talk about old (and highly questionable) merits...
Since his latest merits are from last spring, I don't consider 'em that old. They're not just very good, silver medal or no.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Our NHLers seem to suck direly except from Vatanen, Lehterä, Komarov and Filppula..

Its not all too bad. Joensuu has done well in Edmonton, Rinne is back at the top, Määttä has been good regarding situation. Granlunds line has been on fire despite himself not cracking the points, Rämö/Raanta/Ma.Granlund(2games) have showed glimpses its not that horendous.

Clear let downs have been Barkov, J.Jokinen, Koivu, Haula and Rask
Ristolainen is simply in hopeless situation at Buffalo.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Its not all too bad. Joensuu has done well in Edmonton, Rinne is back at the top, Määttä has been good regarding situation. Granlunds line has been on fire despite himself not cracking the points, Rämö/Raanta/Ma.Granlund(2games) have showed glimpses its not that horendous.

Ristolainen is simply in hopeless situation at Buffalo.

I think it's still way too early to start making complaints like that anyway. Most teams still have over 70 games to play. The thing I find the most worrisome is Barkov, and it's not even his lack of points but the fact that he's currently out with another knee injury. I don't know if it's the same knee as last winter but knee problems are nothing to play with and he's only 19. This is not a good sign.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Haula? He may not be a point machine, but he's doing the very job Yeo asks of him night in night out. As in, keeping the opposition's top lines in check. No complaints for him in that department.

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Haula? He may not be a point machine, but he's doing the very job Yeo asks of him night in night out. As in, keeping the opposition's top lines in check. No complaints for him in that department.

He had really bad preseason and Yeo wasnt happy with him. He was dropped to 4th line center as result. His slowly improving and like you said I thought he was outstanding against Tampa Bay when he completely shut down Stamkos for say in single game but hasnt been nearly as good as last season. If you play well in NHL like Haula did last season the coaching staff will demand that kind of play every night. Like you pointed maybe letdown too hard comment on youngplayer but hasnt taken step forward either. Hit to the head didnt help progress either.

Some Yeo comments from month ago. (Since then improved)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/278050811.html

Haula centered the fourth line today. After those early scrimmages, Haula’s camp hasn’t been very good. He had a very bad game in Pittsburgh and struggled last night.
Yeo admitted today that he’s not happy with Haula’s camp, talked to him on the bench during last night’s game and planned to pull him in his office after today’s practice.
“We have to remember with Haulzy and it’s important that he remembers it too, he hasn’t played a full season in the NHL yet. So we can’t be too quick to throw the world at him and we can’t be too quick to get down on him. He’s still a young player who’s developing.”
Yeo said the fourth line role today wasn’t a message, but in the next breath, he said he was rewarding guys who have been playing the way the team expects.
Haula said of his camp, “It’s been tough. I feel like I’ve done good things and I’ve also been a little inconsistent maybe. Good thing it’s preseason. I know what I’m capable of, I know what my identity is and what my job is. I’ve just got to play strong and keep my mind strong and just get ready for the next practice and the next game.
“There’s been times where I haven’t played as well as I wanted to play. It’s preseason, thank God, luckily. I still have a few practices and a game hopefully to get ready and get going.”
Trust me, DO NOT freak out about all this Haula stuff. He will be fine. He will have a significant role. This isn’t Yeo picking on him. This is just a coach making sure that a very important player on this team wakes up and gets his game in order.
But Haula is a second-year pro and still has to earn his place. And his game in Pittsburgh was, by his own admission, awful (three glaring turnovers). And last night, he had one scoring chance, but he was on for the tying goal and just did not play well. He has got to play better, and as we all have seen, can play better.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
He had really bad preseason and Yeo wasnt happy with him. He was dropped to 4th line center as result.
Yeah, and that was training camp wake-up call, nothing more. Once the actual season got underway, he's been in his usual place centering the 3rd and doing a good enough job at it. Room to improve, yes, but to call him a "clear letdown" is talking out of ones backside.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Add a few europeans to the team below, please. Need a picture of what kind of team you might moblize in WC and in 2016's World Cup of Hockey.

Granlund - Koivu - Komarov
Filppula - Lehterä - Armia
Teräväinen - Barkov - Pulkkinen
Jokinen - Granlund - Ruutu
Bergenheim

1. Jonas Enlund (LW/C) Sibir Novosibirsk 42 16 27 43 1.02 4 12
2. Jarno Koskiranta (C) Sibir Novosibirsk 42 11 25 36 0.86 14 15
3. Petri Kontiola (C) Lokomotiv Yaroslavl 11 1 8 9 0.82 6 4
4. Niklas Hagman (LW) Jokerit 31 17 7 24 0.77 14 6
5. Sakari Salminen (RW/LW) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 43 15 18 33 0.77 24 4
6. Juhamatti Aaltonen (RW) Jokerit 39 8 18 26 0.67 24 4
7. Jarkko Immonen (C) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 41 11 16 27 0.66 20 6
8. Toni Rajala (LW/RW) Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk 21 3 10 13 0.62 6 1
9. Teemu Hartikainen (LW) Salavat Yulaev Ufa 44 9 17 26 0.59 14 -2
10. Niko Kapanen (C) Jokerit 44 8 17 25 0.57 51 10
11. Ville Leino (W/C) Medvescak Zagreb 17 4 5 9 0.53 2 -2
12. Antti Pihlström (LW/RW) Salavat Yulaev Ufa 44 14 9 23 0.52 18 1
Janne Pesonen

13. Teemu Eronen (D) Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 35 6 11 17 0.49 12 -11
14. Juuso Hietanen (D) Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 41 6 13 19 0.46 18 -1
16. Jere Karalahti (D) Jokerit 22 1 9 10 0.45 40 7
17. Ville Lajunen (D) Jokerit 40 2 14 16 0.40 16 11
19. Tommi Taimi (D) Amur Khabarovsk 35 5 8 13 0.37 30 -18
20. Ilkka Heikkinen (D) Salavat Yulaev Ufa 44 9 6 15 0.34 14 -1
21. Sami Lepistö (D) Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg 43 3 11 14 0.33 32 0
25. Ilari Melart (D) Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk 20 5 1 6 0.30 28 -6

28. Janne Jalasvaara (D) Dynamo Moskva 42 4 6 10 0.24 18 11
29. Oskari Korpikari (D) Jokerit 17 2 2 4 0.24 8 -3
30. Topi Jaakola (D) Jokerit 41 3 6 9 0.22 22 0

33. Tuukka Mäntylä (D) Amur Khabarovsk 12 1 1 2 0.17 10 -7
35. Santeri Saari (D) Jokerit 7 1 0 1 0.14 6 -2

38. Ossi Väänänen (D) Jokerit 31 0 4 4 0.13 42 -4
39. Atte Ohtamaa (D) Jokerit 39 1 4 5 0.13 31 13
40. Niko Peltola (D) Jokerit 8 0 1 1 0.13 0 -2

43. Joonas Järvinen (D) HK Sochi 33 0 1 1 0.03 24 -11

Vatanen - Määttä
Ristolainen -

Rämö Bäckström Lehtonen

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
^Umm... what is that, exactly? Our upcoming WHC squad? Don't get me wrong, I'd urinate honey with offensive group like that, but I don't think this is a fantasy roster thread...

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
http://yle.fi/urheilu/leijonat_pala...oliitto_ja_yle_sopivat_tv-oikeuksista/7760523

http://yle.fi/urheilu/yle_urheilun_paallikko_pokkinen_teemme_tasta_ison_jutun/7760394

National team hockey returns to Yle for the next three years, with an option for an additional two year extension. They have stated that hockey will be a priority and a "big deal" in their sports coverage. I'm happy.

Roster for Stockholm EHT has also been released:
http://yle.fi/urheilu/jaloset_valitsivat_kiekkojoukkueensa_-_katso_leijonien_ryhma/7760925

More potential fourth liners enter the mix... Odd.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
So the WJC is going to be on YLE as well?

Can Granlund (Cgy) play center?

Yes, but usually we have more than enough centers and we end up arguing here who gets to play center and who gets placed at wing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yup, "everything national team hockey related, except the men's WHC".
And with luck, even that makes a return when Maikkari's contract expires in 2017.

I'm kinda amused by this. MTV's execs must have thought they hit a gold mine when they acquired those rights. Looks like the average Finnish hockey spectator is far smarter than you'd think.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
http://yle.fi/urheilu/leijonat_pala...oliitto_ja_yle_sopivat_tv-oikeuksista/7760523

http://yle.fi/urheilu/yle_urheilun_paallikko_pokkinen_teemme_tasta_ison_jutun/7760394

National team hockey returns to Yle for the next three years, with an option for an additional two year extension. They have stated that hockey will be a priority and a "big deal" in their sports coverage. I'm happy.

Roster for Stockholm EHT has also been released:
http://yle.fi/urheilu/jaloset_valitsivat_kiekkojoukkueensa_-_katso_leijonien_ryhma/7760925

More potential fourth liners enter the mix... Odd.

Actually it's just two games against Sweden, so a bit of false advertising there.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
And with luck, even that makes a return when Maikkari's contract expires in 2017.

I'm kinda amused by this. MTV's execs must have thought they hit a gold mine when they acquired those rights. Looks like the average Finnish hockey spectator is far smarter than you'd think.

I think mm-kisat has been good enough for MTV, but euro hockey tour was an epic letdown.
Out of sight made them out of mind, people didnt watch/follow at all.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The fact that they cut out on expenses after their first Worlds says they didn't make as much profit as they expected.
I wonder if they should just have shown more games on open channels and try to make some back from advertisers, rather than the viewers themselves. Finland has never been the promised land of pay tv - and if even hockey couldn't get the nation to buy those packages, nothing will.

And what little revenue there has been may be waning even further down, with web streams of most events being readily available.

A case in point: I have a friend whose technological knowledge is hardly the greatest. Over the holidays she hooked her laptop to a flatscreen at her parents' house when her father and his neighbor - both even less knowledgeable than her - wanted to watch some WJC action. And it all happened because the old man asked for it.

I asked her if they're able to follow it without Finnish commentating. She shrugged and said: "Neither couldn't make out a word. But they didn't seem to mind at all. The hockey is still hockey."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad