Finland's Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
blacklabel said:
Niittymäki and Norrena. They haven't named the 3rd yet. Toivonen is injured so I guess he won't be on the team.

I remember I read somewhere that Westerlund wants to wait and see if Toivonen can come back before the olympics.. I would't want Norrena or Markkanen as our backup :shakehead

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
blacklabel said:
Niittymäki has let in 11 goals in his last two starts. :(

Not looking good for us.

He's been sucking ever since they put him on the olympic roster... Maybe he's just trying to fool everyone...

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
The only bright side is that the injuries are hitting your deepest position. The Fins and Canadians are the only teams that would be able to ice a medal-contending squad after losing their top 3 goalies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Diaboli said:
Markkanen would probably get the nod, because he's been playing more than Toskala.. Though I would personally take Toskala over Markkanen...

That's a good bet considering what was said during a Sharks game about Norrena being picked ahead of Toskala and Vesa being bitter to the point of refusing if offered the 3rd spot.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
LuxAeterna said:
The only bright side is that the injuries are hitting your deepest position. The Fins and Canadians are the only teams that would be able to ice a medal-contending squad after losing their top 3 goalies.
No. The USA would be able, too, since Miller is technically their 4th goalie.

Talentless Practise*

Niklas Bäckström from kärpät gets the nod as the second goalie. Not a bad goalie by any means and has played on the big ice all career.

I'd still have gone with either Markkanen, Noronen or Toskala.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Bonkers said:
Niklas Bäckström from kärpät gets the nod as the second goalie. Not a bad goalie by any means and has played on the big ice all career.

I'd still have gone with either Markkanen, Noronen or Toskala.
boooooooooooo

edit: well, we didn't have any choice since Markkanen and Toskala have refused.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Seriously, I think Bäckström and Norrena will be fine. Granted, I haven´t seen them this season but I saw them the last seasons and they are looking good IMO.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
Bäckström is a solid goalie, nothing spectacular but gets the job done. If it would have been Noronen, I'd probably have bitten my fingernails off during the olympics.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Bäckström is pretty good, but let's face it (because he doesn't). Kärpät lets in like 20-25 shots per game for him to pick up.

He's faced more than 30 shots only like 7 or 8 times this season (although lost only one of those games to HPK with 37 saves and had a draw against Blues with 41 saves) and he has surprisingly many games where he's only faced 14-19 shots.

Then again, he's probably the best we have available at the moment. Actually I think he's better than Norrena. I'm just saying they should really warm him up well before the Olympics :)

I guess the other choices would've been Jan Lundell, Sinuhe Wallinheimo or Juuso Riksman (nobody trusts Noronen or Markkanen anymore, and Toskala just hasn't played enough). Only Wallinheimo has better save precentage than Bäckström.

I had no point, but had to post it because I spent so much time studying the stats... :D

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Let's see:

Niittymäki: Has only once had a sv.% over 88.5% in a game in his last nine starts. :shakehead

Norrena: After his spectacular play at the Karjala cup he's been below aerage. And he's also been injured, so who knows. Played good in his first game back from the injury though.

Bäckstöm: Sigh. :shakehead The memories from last years wc's are still too fresh in my mind to be confident with this guy.

Once again Finland's fate will be decided between the pipes. And it doesn't look good imo.

Since team USA doesn't care for him, can we take Tim Thomas. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad