WJC: Finland WJC Roster

FoxMulder91*

who should be the goalie for the finn? has Simila a chance to be the no1 guy for the finn or maybe the backup ? or not at all since he's in NA this season

Ortio has the best shot at being the starting goalie if im not mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Quit comparing Finnish and swedish teams. i am an fin and i know finland is a challanger in the tournament and sweden is a gold medal canditate. I would take Jere Sallinen and eero elo over Haula. Jere Sallinen is very physical player. Hes energetic and plays every shift 110%. Not a point machine but he can do points and hes perfect for 3-4line. Eero Elo is big and very skilled. J. Sallinen and E. Elo are very good for a mask man for PP. As we know finland has very good PP players. Laakso and Vatanen has very good shot and they quarterback pp very well. Especially Laakso. He makes smart moves and has the patience to search a good shooting opportunity. Vatanen shoots to often and from the bad spots. He isnt very calm. With small pressure he can make bad moves. Granlund and Rajala are very good players to run PP. Elo, Sallinen and Hartikainen are good players infront of net. Good team overall. Goaltending is the weakest part atm. This team lacks a sniper like pulkkinen. 2 line of higly talented offensive players. 2 Line of very energetic players with size to shutout starplayers. Good team. Black horse for the tournament. Could beat canada in good day. Vatanen and Granlund are the players to watch.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Finland always plays us tough, I have no doubt they will again this season.

I'm excited to see Rajala and Hartikainen for team Finland.

MNWild1096

Oct 16, 2006
Can anyone who has seen Eero Elo play give me some insight on his style of play. He is one of the Minnesota Wild prospects that most of us in MN know nothing about, however his stats seem to indicate he's a pretty good find for a late draft pick. Also whats the Finland2 league or where ever he is playing now.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Can anyone who has seen Eero Elo play give me some insight on his style of play. He is one of the Minnesota Wild prospects that most of us in MN know nothing about, however his stats seem to indicate he's a pretty good find for a late draft pick. Also whats the Finland2 league or where ever he is playing now.

Elo needs to improve his skating before he's ready to play on a higher level. He's fairly good along the boards and his wrister is also pretty nice. Mestis is the 2nd highest level for men in Finland, it's a semi-pro league.

There's not much video material available of him, but I uploaded one nice goal from him to Youtube. The game was played a week ago.

MNWild1096

Oct 16, 2006
Elo needs to improve his skating before he's ready to play on a higher level. He's fairly good along the boards and his wrister is also pretty nice. Mestis is the 2nd highest level for men in Finland, it's a semi-pro league.

There's not much video material available of him, but I uploaded one nice goal from him to Youtube. The game was played a week ago.

Thanks a lot! That is the first video or anything I have seen of Elo. I had heard he had some skating issues but we'll see what happens in the next couple of years...hopefully we get to see a game or two of his on tv throughout the world juniors

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
This is typical finns. Hyping their team to be a superteam who will destroy other more talented teams because they play "physical". Believe me with the more skillful elitserien play where puck-possesion is focused on we will win everything in WJC.

See how stupid that sounds? Why are you saying how we play the game in SEL when you probably don't even watch games? And even if SEL is not as tough it doesn't matter as our WJC team plays a WHOLE different game than any SEL team. The coach has even said that they focues hard on offensive hockey with alot of forechecking.

I actually think that Finnish team will battle with Czech team to avoid relegation group. And I don´t think that Finnish team is better than Czech this year.

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I actually think that Finnish team will battle with Czech team to avoid relegation group. And I don´t think that Finnish team is better than Czech this year.

I don't know what exactly the team has done to gather such negative comments. Like many have stated it's the best team Finland in years, even if it's missing guys like Pulkkinen and Donskoi. I mean when was he last time we had so many impact SM-liiga players in our roster? The talent in that team is just overwhelming, in the D alone there's like 3 guys that could end up scoring well over PPG rate. And in the O? Oh boy, oh boy, I expect nothing short of 10 points from guys like Granlund, Hartikainen, Elo and Rajala. I honestly think Finland would've been the top contender without the injuries of Pulkkinen and Donskoi. How many other teams are out there who could just leave a USHS top scorer outside of their team? Probably none.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
I don't know what exactly the team has done to gather such negative comments. Like many have stated it's the best team Finland in years, even if it's missing guys like Pulkkinen and Donskoi. I mean when was he last time we had so many impact SM-liiga players in our roster? The talent in that team is just overwhelming, in the D alone there's like 3 guys that could end up scoring well over PPG rate. And in the O? Oh boy, oh boy, I expect nothing short of 10 points from guys like Granlund, Hartikainen, Elo and Rajala. I honestly think Finland would've been the top contender without the injuries of Pulkkinen and Donskoi. How many other teams are out there who could just leave a USHS top scorer outside of their team? Probably none.

Sorry to interrupt, but you make it sound like we are in a same category as Sweden and Canada, which is not true. We have a good team (best in years) with couple of elite talents, but those countries have so much more depth and 2-3 times more elite talents than us. I would love to count as one of the favourites, but i don't see it happening. We are the underdogs as always. :)

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007
This is typical finns. Hyping their team to be a superteam who will destroy other more talented teams because they play "physical". Believe me with the more skillful elitserien play where puck-possesion is focused on we will win everything in WJC.

See how stupid that sounds? Why are you saying how we play the game in SEL when you probably don't even watch games? And even if SEL is not as tough it doesn't matter as our WJC team plays a WHOLE different game than any SEL team. The coach has even said that they focues hard on offensive hockey with alot of forechecking.

Don't get too carried away here, though. Just take it as his personal opinion and ignore the obvious "defend with an attack" style. Hyping your own team is pretty usual...just look at your own post, so it's just a natural thing to do:naughty:

Give this chance for Finns to enjoy as they have at least one decent stick handler in their team since..forever.... Missing Donskoi and Pullkinen will definitely hurt, the depth isn't exactly the strength for Finns.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
We all know Rajala will carry the team, recovering great from the knee injury, and reallllllly showing a ton more confidence with the puck since playing in Brandon. Small ice surface and physical play he's already used too!

FoxMulder91*

We all know Rajala will carry the team, recovering great from the knee injury, and reallllllly showing a ton more confidence with the puck since playing in Brandon. Small ice surface and physical play he's already used too!

Is there something im missing with this guy. He has 14 goals and 16 assists, good numbers, but whats with all the hype?

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Is there something im missing with this guy. He has 14 goals and 16 assists, good numbers, but whats with all the hype?

That's exactly what I used to say till I saw him play with the Wheaties.. unbelievable talent. He's also got good numbers playing in a completely different league/style and as a rookie getting used to it all.
He has amazing skill. His shot is great too, some of his snipes leave you sitting there wondering how the * it went in.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Then clearly you dont know its our best core in 2000...

I agree that it´s the best team in last couple of years but they will still battle with Czech team to avoid relegation group.
And again, I don´t think that they are better than Czechs.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
Sorry to interrupt, but you make it sound like we are in a same category as Sweden and Canada, which is not true. We have a good team (best in years) with couple of elite talents, but those countries have so much more depth and 2-3 times more elite talents than us. I would love to count as one of the favourites, but i don't see it happening. We are the underdogs as always. :)

Finally really respectable insight. I entirely agree.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Our head coatch said that we are step behind team Sweden (few(?) months ago) in every aspect of the game. Some of the finns here havent done their homework, Finland is definitelly not a candidate for gold medal. But i have to say that the team is better than last year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is it 100% sure that Pulkinnen and Donskoi are not playing in the WJC's?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes, Pulkkinen is expected back in (mid?)January and Donskoi hasn't healed properly yet.

Correction, both have been picked for the Finland U-18 squad that takes part in a tournament in Switzerland in a couple of weeks. So I guess they'll be fit to play then but not at the WJC. :dunno:

Savolainen

Oct 10, 2005
Correction, both have been picked for the Finland U-18 squad that takes part in a tournament in Switzerland in a couple of weeks. So I guess they'll be fit to play then but not at the WJC. :dunno:

Well, thats strange.
But if they are not 100 % fit they shouldn't play.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Well, thats strange.

I'm guessing they just don't want to take them to the WJCs if it's unsure if they can play. It's a limited roster and an expensive trip. If they fly those guys to Canada, not only would it cost them, it would also leave them two guys short. How many reserve players do the teams usually carry? I know that they carry a few in mens tournaments, but do they do so in juniors as well?

Another thing is that they don't want them there if they haven't played a game in a while, although I wouldn't worry about that too much personally. Even at 50% they'd be better than some of our other guys...

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
Team Finland after some cuts:

Goaltenders:
1 Joni Ortio TPS
28 Petteri Similä Niagara
30 Sami Aittokallio Ilves

Defencemen:
3 Tommi Kivistö Jokerit
4 Teemu Eronen Jokerit
5 Rasmus Rissanen KalPa
6 Kristian Näkyvä Blues
8 Jyri Niemi Saskatoon
9 Sami Vatanen JYP
12 Aleksi Laakso Blues
25 Veli-Matti Vittasmäki TPS

Forwards:
10 Matias Myttynen Ilves
11 Toni Rajala Brandon
13 Matias Sointu Sudbury
14 Pekka Jormakka JYP
16 Eero Elo Lukko
18 Iiro Pakarinen KalPa
19 Joonas Rask Ilves
20 Jere Sallinen Blues
21 Jasse Ikonen JYP
22 Mikael Granlund HIFK
23 Teemu Tallberg HIFK
24 Jani Lajunen Blues
29 Joonas Nättinen Blues
35 Teemu Hartikainen KalPa

WKFan

Jan 6, 2008
Rajala

On Rajala:

There are a lot of players to share powerplay time with in Brandon. On most other teams I think he would have 5-10 more points on the powerplay.

Sat out practice this week with a hip flexor injury. For the sake of Finland and Brandon fans hopefully it's minor

As others have said, has a lot of offensive skill. Very good vision, very good passer and when it comes time to shoot he can pick his spots with authority. In my opinion has been a more dangerous player offensively than #8 overall pick Scott Glennie this year. You get the feeling Rajala is ready for a big second half.

Praise aside, he seems very shy when it comes to any kind of physical play. Many times I've seen him step aside and let the other team have its way rather than take a hit or go into the corners. To become dominant in the WHL, to be effective in the playoffs and to be an NHL player he doesn't have to become a tough guy but he has to be more willing to be bumped. This should come with time, but as far as the WJCs go he's going to have to be complimented by players that can dig the puck out against the better teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad