Finland vs Sweden: How intense and when it began?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
They do huh? Better pop music for the masses, do you mean?

Obviously Finland has never had an Abba or a Roxette, but when thinking about singer-songwriter type of music, progressive rock or metal, for example, I think Finland can at least hold its own vs Sweden. And we did have Sibelius (Sweden had only Hugo Alfvén, he he).
Bjorn Ulvaeus - Yngwie Malmsteen - Carl M. Bellman
Benny Anderson - Quorthon - Jens Kidman
John Norum - Joey Tempest - Hugo Alfven
Andreas Svensson - Per Gessle - Nicke Andersson

vs

Toivo Kuula - Petri Walli - Jean Sibelius
Sami Kuoppamaki - Aleksi Laiho - Petri Lindroos
Ville Valo - Jari Maenpaa - Kai Hahto
Juice Leskinen - Jukka Karjalainen - Kauko Royhka

Discuss. :naughty:

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009

vs

Where is Gösta Sundqvist?

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Jääkärimarssi, talvisota
Turrible. At least Porilaisten Marssi for the unique bass drumming (that actually takes pro skill to do right), and what was even your winterwar reference (the band? the which one of them movies, three now or what? the book you shouldn't look at like you were a scary literary critic? lol)

TL;DR: wut? Le póint?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Sweden has ABBA. Finland has Leevi and the Leevings.
Finland has the world's most metal bands per capita.

Not sure if that's a United Nations stat report or some old Metal Hammer issue but we all know it's true.

We wanted to have an ABBA or a Herreys but [suspiciously hockeyish?] gods gave us Looordi. We just win, win, win, no matter what.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It begun around the viking age.
Finns actually had a pretty good defense back then. LOTR style warning beacons, hilltop forts for welcoming the visitors, so on. There is some historic evidence of some more enterprising Finns joining Vikings on boat trips further east down the rivers into what was later Russia. So basically Vikings invented the first Baltic theme cruises. "Taste of adventure" and so on. Vikings were good trade partners ever since the obligatory first attacks didn't bring any useful result. This stuff is kind of in the sagas, or a visible omission in the sagas. :toothless

Reactions: Tomas W

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I almost hope the OP comes back to see what holy mayhem he triggered. Prolly long gone now tho.

He probably wanted to hear an explanation revolving around "That Hit in 1985" or something.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Was the Czech/Slovak-separation in 1993 amicable? Czechoslovakia was an artificial country as was Yugoslavia but as we know the break-up of the latter turned out to be a rather nasty affair.
"Artificial country" is a bit of a hot take. Many countries in central Europe were at some point stitched together from smaller bits and pieces, often with different language communities. Germany is a notable exception, but for example Belgium still has the language divide. Do you call it artificial? (Or just "tough history"?)

Czechoslovakia was one of the better ones, it was an exemplary democracy in the 1930s when that sort of thing was in short supply. And wanted it back in 1945 but then in 1948 stuff happened. And so forth. (Not the forum for all that... the Munich betrayal and all, not productive to discuss here.)

The latest Balkan war was indeed not pretty but yeah it too is better discussed elsewhere. My understanding is that the Czech/Slovak separation went pretty nicely, in the grand scheme of things. Them folks have a tradition for that, getting along, and I admire that.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I can't hate more players a like Sundin, Forsberg and Lundqvist. I know that they are good players, but they all have been huge pain in our arses years by.
I have nothing remembered about Lundqvist, I half-admiringly remember Forsberg... I absolutely hated Sundin. The guy just sank our ship every. f'ing. time.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Obviously Finland has never had an Abba or a Roxette, but when thinking about singer-songwriter type of music, progressive rock or metal, for example, I think Finland can at least hold its own vs Sweden. And we did have Sibelius (Sweden had only Hugo Alfvén, he he).

Does Finland have singers who can make Paul Simon and Patti Smith cry like these girls? Singers who have also made amazing R.E.M. and Kate Bush covers. I doubt it.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

vs

Andersson and Ulvaeus have to be on the same line, for chemistry's sake; especially Ulvaeus would be totally lost without Andersson! ;) And personally, I'd try to find room for Mikael Wiehe (his songwriting work for Hoola Bandoola Band alone should be enough) and maybe Cornelis Vreeswijk (Team Holland?). Georg "Jojje" Wadenius?

(Musical) Team Finland needs Remu Aaltonen, Hector and Dave Lindholm... And Jim Pembroke (nevermind that he spent his first 20 years or so in England and that he lives in the US now!). Maybe Oskar and/or Aarre Merikanto rather than Toivo Kuula. Toivo Kärki, Rauno Lehtinen...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad