Olympics: Finland Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
He has like 1 goal in the past two months and you want him on the first line? Why?
I don't want him there but just saying the facts.

Good EHT games in 1st line and former Tappara coach Tapola creating offensive lines. These coaches are all about the roles and with Peltola theyll have perfect roles in first line. Grinder playmaker scorer. Removing Peltola and adding Enlund would mean 2 scorers and playmaker who all suck in defensive side. Those coaches arent going to create a line like that.

That first line Peltola-Kontiola-Tolvanen been locked for several months.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Referring to Facebook and IS comments;
Ah the normal Kukkonen hate, everyone knows he'll be the cheerleader in these Olympics. Clueless people spouting off at nonstories. People disregarding youth in the Olympics, Tolvanen and Heiskanen lynched before the games start.

I have started to really hate casual hockey fans in Finland, they make everything a problem. For example, 1 big story is that there are apparently too many Kärpät- players of the past or of the present

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Enlund has been pretty hot lately. 5+8 in twelve games over the last month. Marjamäki even cited that as the reason for picking him.
Enlund is the replacement for Tolvanen for the what if he plays like in u20 -situation.

The lines have figured out a good time ago and these coaches arent the type to change everything because 10 games hot streak.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
During the season I've read from media how weak Savinainen's season has been. I guess he has improved lately then or did Tapola make this selection happen I wonder.

Actually the 3 names of the forwards that sticked to me immedialtely (Enlund, Peltola, Savinainen) all have Tappara background and Tapola does as well so connect the dots... Not a big issue though, just interesting. Overall good selections and choosing Tolvanen & Heiskanen was probably partly to avoid any media circus that leaving them out would cause.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Enlund is the replacement for Tolvanen for the what if he plays like in u20 -situation.

The lines have figured out a good time ago and these coaches arent the type to change everything because 10 games hot streak.
Wait... you're seriously saying that they picked a player whose *only* role is to be the "1st liner flop replacement"? Oh, lordy.

Enlund is not an NT staple or any kind of known quality. Nor is he a coach's pet. He's a complete left field pick. Coaches don't pick players like that unless they plan to use them somehow. And if said use was "a warm body in the pressbox", Marjamäki could have picked someone who already knows the game plan and wasn't half bad on EHT, like Ikonen or Niemi.

Enlund will be in the lineup come the opening game. I'm not saying he's got a spot on the 1st, but he'll be there somewhere. Given that he's from outside the "camp" group and his previous NT game is from two seasons ago, they'll want him playing so he can integrate with the team as well as possible. It's pretty much a requirement if he's to be an effective replacement to anybody.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Wait... you're seriously saying that they picked a player whose *only* role is to be the "1st liner flop replacement"? Oh, lordy.

Enlund is not an NT staple or any kind of known quality. Nor is he a coach's pet. He's a complete left field pick. Coaches don't pick players like that unless they plan to use them somehow. And if said use was "a warm body in the pressbox", Marjamäki could have picked someone who already knows the game plan and wasn't half bad on EHT, like Ikonen or Niemi.

Enlund will be in the lineup come the opening game. I'm not saying he's got a spot on the 1st, but he'll be there somewhere. Given that he's from outside the "camp" group and his previous NT game is from two seasons ago, they'll want him playing so he can integrate with the team as well as possible. It's pretty much a requirement if he's to be an effective replacement to anybody.

Well you have been wrong year in year out with your predictions and I've been right so I guess explaining it to you is like talking to trees.

You'll see it when games start.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'm so sick and tired of Kukkonen. Guy never does anything noteworthy. He's a completely wasted slot. Blah blah, leadership leadership. Get a leader who can play instead.

4 points and +5 in 80 games for a team like team finland is terrible and I'm certain his advanced stats are not good at all either.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
I would have taken Vesalainen in favor of Tolvanen or some other player, but all in all not too shabby roster. A lot of evenly matched players playing in Europe, so these close calls likely don't make much of a difference.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well you have been wrong year in year out with your predictions and I've been right so I guess explaining it to you is like talking to trees.

You'll see it when games start.
I'll just quote this for posterity.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
I'm so sick and tired of Kukkonen. Guy never does anything noteworthy. He's a completely wasted slot. Blah blah, leadership leadership. Get a leader who can play instead.

4 points and +5 in 80 games for a team like team finland is terrible and I'm certain his advanced stats are not good at all either.

It would be interesting to put some sort of microphone on Lasse during Olympics to see what he actually says in locker room that makes him such valuable "leader".

On interviews he doesn't seem much of a smooth talker.

Lasse is a curious case in that he has to be the most hated hockey player among fans in Finnish hockey history. Rarely I've encountered anyone who likes him, but his absolute haters are a many. But among coaches he seems to be very much loved.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It would be interesting to put some sort of microphone on Lasse during Olympics to see what he actually says in locker room that makes him such valuable "leader".

On interviews he doesn't seem much of a smooth talker.

Lasse is a curious case in that he has to be the most hated hockey player among fans in Finnish hockey history. Rarely I've encountered anyone who likes him, but his absolute haters are a many. But among coaches, he seems to be very much loved.
I'd like to argue that the hate he has received is not warranted. He has ridden the 'leadership' status so long and under many different coaches so if there wouldn't be anything there, he wouldn't be on the team now. Hatred towards him is bitterness over Kärpät's success and jealousy in some parts. He is one of those players who everyone loves, as long as they play in their team.
It's not by chance that as soon as Kukkonen came back as Captain for Kärpät they have won 2 championships and 1 bronze, and although the expectations for this season were really low for Kärpät, he's absolutely one of the big reasons why. He has the winning culture. He IS Kärpät. Here's a sneak peek to the locker room, also 3:20 of that same clip there's some pregame hyping from him. These clips aren't the end-all-be-all though. There must be more there than just saying hey a couple of times.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Kukkonen, Kukkonen ... well, I like him.

Pure Finland blood.

And that's fine with me.

Steady as a rock - he's been there and done all that you lot.

Remember.

Maybe not the King Kong of Finlands defense anymore ... but good enough.

He hasn't have to climb no high towers anymore in New York anymore to be good.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Kukkonen, Kukkonen ... well, I like him.

Pure Finland blood.

And that's fine with me.

Steady as a rock - he's been there and done all that you lot.

Remember.

Maybe not the King Kong of Finlands defense anymore ... but good enough.

He hasn't have to climb no high towers anymore in New York anymore to be good.

never was any good.
if you want finnish blood there, sacrifice a goat

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not a Kärpät fan and I would take Kukkonen. He is obvious choice and the right choice when Marjamäki is the head coach. Locker room guys like that make the team gel faster and become an actual team which is needed in a short tournament like this.

Also I do value having the right captain quite highly. Some don't understand what kind of a disaster the tournament can be without Kukkonen. Do remember how poor Marjamäki's last season as the head coach was. He can't afford to leave Kukkonen out. Too big of a risk.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
I'm not a Kärpät fan and I would take Kukkonen. He is obvious choice and the right choice when Marjamäki is the head coach. Locker room guys like that make the team gel faster and become an actual team which is needed in a short tournament like this.

Also I do value having the right captain quite highly. Some don't understand what kind of a disaster the tournament can be without Kukkonen. Do remember how poor Marjamäki's last season as the head coach was. He can't afford to leave Kukkonen out. Too big of a risk.

You are watching the games all wrong buddy. Kukkonen IS the disaster! No amount marginal "locker room play" makes up for the pylon he is on ice.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Junttila-Kemppainen-Hartikainen
Tolvanen-Kontiola-Savinainen
Manninen-Koskiranta-Enlund
Osala-Lajunen-Anttila
Pyörälä

Heiskanen-Lepistö
Ohtamaa-Hietanen
Kivistö-Koivisto
Kukkonen

Koskinen
Metsola

Peltola, Lehtonen, Rämö press-box.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Wow. This team. Well, this is hockey, not a fashion show. Kiss, boom, bang - enjoyed with cold easy-dropping lager and no complaints. Go and get those nuggets, Leijonats!

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Its probably stupid now to talk about players who didn't made it
but i would of chosen Vesalainen&Meskanen instead of Tolvanen&Manninen

Vesalainen (before tonights game)
this month: 6+8=14 | 5 PP goals
this season: 14+19=33 in 34 games

Meskanen (tonights game included,after 2)
this month: 7+5=12 | 4 PP goals
this season: 19+18=37 in 35 games

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Its probably stupid now to talk about players who didn't made it
but i would of chosen Vesalainen&Meskanen instead of Tolvanen&Manninen

Vesalainen (before tonights game)
this month: 6+8=14 | 5 PP goals
this season: 14+19=33 in 34 games

Meskanen (tonights game included,after 2)
this month: 7+5=12 | 4 PP goals
this season: 19+18=37 in 35 games

It's pretty unfortunate for Vesalainen. Marjamäki probably didn't want to select him because he didn't play any games with men's national team (seniors) and EHT Russia was pretty much impossible due to U20 tournament almost overlapping with it.

Both Heiskanen and Tolvanen got to show what they got with seniors so they got selected but it's obvious that Vesalainen is hotter player than Tolvanen at the moment and that should be the main factor in choosing players for a tournament that comes so fast without many practices.

However leaving Tolvanen out of the team = media circus and Marjamäki had his share of that already and doesn't want that again.

Maybe Vesalainen can play in some of the remaining EHT games and be a contender for the WHC squad. It will of course be harder to get into that WHC team than the Olympic team.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Referring to Facebook and IS comments;
Ah the normal Kukkonen hate, everyone knows he'll be the cheerleader in these Olympics. Clueless people spouting off at nonstories. People disregarding youth in the Olympics, Tolvanen and Heiskanen lynched before the games start.

I have started to really hate casual hockey fans in Finland, they make everything a problem. For example, 1 big story is that there are apparently too many Kärpät- players of the past or of the present
Started to hate? I try not to vomit in my mouth every time I read those comments lol.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Hopefully they start some sort of rebuild of the national team after the Olympics. It's been time to move on from the old core for few years now and try new players with some actual offensive skills and skating ability.

Some new names who have yet to play with the national team:

Vesalainen
Leskinen
Meskanen
Kangasniemi
Suomela
Virta
Ilomäki
Palve

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
I am well happy with this squad. Yes Vesalainen is on fire lately but Finland's goal is not to run riot against Germany but to grind out Russia and Sweden when in comes to it.

Heiskinen and Tolvanen are the young guns in a team that is packed with experience and leadership. That cannot be underestimated. A close encounter will not phase the Finns.

I think the lineup will be:

Tolvanen-Kontiola-Peltola
Juntilla-Kempainen-Hartikanen
Manninen-Lajunen-Pyorala
Osala-Koskiranta-Antilla

Bar the last line which is new, the remaining lines really stood up in the Karjala cup.

People might argue Lajunen above koskiranta. That Manninen-Lajunen-Pyorala line was killer. No way I'm changing that.

Obvoiusly Enlund is in the thoughts and should get a look at some stage but I like the above.

Defence:
Lepisto-Hietenan
Ohtmaa-Heiskenen
Kivisto-Koivisto

and for goalkeeper I will go with.....

Pause.....

Koskinen

Everybody gasps*** "i never"

The END!!!!

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
do the fans of this country's team think that they will medal?
Well, we should. The players know each other especially well and most of them have represented Finland in World Championship tournaments, in which we have ahd some success in the last few years. The stars are missing but at least I think we'll get the medal again this year. Most likely bronze but if it all goes well, could even be gold. This is the year to get it, if ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->