WJC: Finland Coaching Staff Fired Mid-Tournament. Jussi Ahokas Now Coaching

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
The golden generation talk is a bit excessive, but there really is depth, while not Canada, Finland really is top-4 junior nation now clearly, Finland B would be tough opponent for Czechs nevermind Swiss, Danes etc.

Now with Ahokas, and surely a ****ed of team, I fear Switzerland will feel the brunt of a team wanting to prove themselves, beating Latvia wont prove anything, thumping the Swiss tonight would.

dont agree! USA, Canada, Sweden and Russia are still the best imo. Some might disagree, but the are at least not "clearly" better than any of those nations.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Der Eisenkanzler has roared. Now we can all go back to watching the games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it's a bit silly to be counting the overagers among "lost" players. That happens to everyone, every year. If you wanna play "what if", stick to players who would still be eligible but are otherwise occupied.

Of course, even then it's PuLa-Aho in its entirety + Saarela, and that's a big hole.

Those guys were on the gold winning roster and created our top7.
For a country like us that's impossible to replace in 12 months. We just can't throw in new rookies and expect them to replace them.

I wanted to win gold as I always do but with this roster it can't be the demand, but 0 wins after 3 games should have never happened either. Top2 spot on this division should have still been achieved with this roster.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
dont agree! USA, Canada, Sweden and Russia are still the best imo. Some might disagree, but the are at least not "clearly" better than any of those nations.

Well, reigning champs of both U18 and U20. Please try to win some golds Sweden. Yes, you perform well in Round Robin but after that it´s good night usually.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Sweden really have to win something before belonging there. Golds!

Finland only country with 2 golds in last 3 years. The best atm!

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
This seems to be really unfair. The people who hired him should fire themselves as well now. I wouldn't support anything similar in Czech team unless the coach would commit a crime or something like that.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
This seems to be really unfair. The people who hired him should fire themselves as well now. I wouldn't support anything similar in Czech team unless the coach would commit a crime or something like that.

You're right. It seems unfair, but doesn't feel that. Sure, there will be rough aftermath with this. Luckily they had enough balls to kick three, not one.

Problem is endemic and systemic, something that you cannot correct in a time span of a tournament.

It's actually positively surprising they managed to do such kind move at all within that establishment. A rabbit hole is that deep.

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
Well, reigning champs of both U18 and U20. Please try to win some golds Sweden. Yes, you perform well in Round Robin but after that it´s good night usually.

Sweden really have to win something before belonging there. Golds!

Finland only country with 2 golds in last 3 years. The best atm!

If Finland is a top 4 country then why is Finland in the relegation round? Sweden is more constistent in the top.

The top 4 is Canada, USA, Russia and Sweden.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Good to hear from the Leading One that Ahokas is not a full blown meidän peli coach. No wonder about the tarry display.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They averaged UNDER 2 goals per game.

AKA Coaching and Offense I would put mostly to blame.

I read that the last time this guy coached the WJC they came 6th.

This should be the last time this clown gets near the WJC

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

I wonder why anyone who has coached two SM-liiga silver medals since the latest lockout should bother with these ungrateful children or this star cult tournament in the first place. Northern American facades are nice and programs most glamorous but the coaching part is more of watching over a class of junior high geezers rather than commanding highly committed, unitedly executing team on a mission.

I was there that night when Rautakorpi woved that the referee's house will burn after the game. This is a proud man and one of the greatest coaches in the world.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Let's not get blinded by the recency bias now. Inner workings and structure of the Finnish Hockey Federation are such kind that if the culture of the establishment cannot conduct healthy "great purge", at least in it's attitude, it wouldn't be a surprise see that guy hanging behind a bench of a future Finnish WJC teams, and as such - de facto - as a replacement of Director Urama.

I know, this is pessimistic view to the topic, but The local Finnish hockey Mafia has extremely good staying power, at least what comes to their offices.

It's like a player going to the penalty box for 2 minutes. Only difference is that it takes likely 2 years, and this same guy is again eligible for the duty, and back in the circulation of offices.

Fresh air urgently needed to that stone castle of establishment.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I was there that night when Rautakorpi woved that the referee's house will burn after the game. This is a proud man and one of the greatest coaches in the world.

But an oathbreaker, if the house didn't burn.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
But an oathbreaker, if the house didn't burn.

Not necessarily. The other option is incompentent. As in unable to start a fire.

Hmm... ponders the issue heavily...oathbreaker or incompetent...checks Rautakorpi's U20 team success --> definitely incompetent!

/end with an evil grin

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
But why? For example Sweden is very constant year for year.

Sweden has a much larger population. Finland is an incredible hockey country when you look at the population.

The Province of Ontario in Canada has just under 13 million inhabitants. All of Finland has about 5.5 million inhabitants. I'd say Finland is doing fine when you contrast the size of talent pools.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Sweden has a much larger population. Finland is an incredible hockey country when you look at the population.

The number of players in each country is quite similar? The number of near professional leagues is about the same except Sweden's league system is superior compared to Finnish one league system. Ice hockey has competition in Sweden. Finland might have recovered from absolute horrendous years of junior production.

Finland is quite poor ice hockey country drained by 'Liiga' with pockets of brilliance in professional coaching. In Finland they call this the golden age nowadays.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ridiculous everyone knew they were going to have a hard time this year , Finland does not have enough depth to compete for gold every year.

You're the only person to think this. On paper the roster isn't worse than Switzerland or Denmark lmfao.

Sure Finland didn't have as many older guys as key players who had already been drafted in previous years like Sweden did (because most of the Finnish ones are good enough for the NHL), so they had a younger less experienced team.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
You're the only person to think this. On paper the roster isn't worse than Switzerland or Denmark lmfao.

Sure Finland didn't have as many older guys as key players who had already been drafted in previous years like Sweden did (because most of the Finnish ones are good enough for the NHL), so they had a younger less experienced team.

Coach was on paper too. With Rautakorpi they were destined to lose every game and find themselves in Div 1. Even if Laine-Aho-Pulju were released. Now with the coach change, they'll win every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad