Finland 4, USA 3 FINAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

creative giant*

mr gib said:
tough break usa - well done chris chelios - a true warrior

Ya, I was skeptical about his selection but he was very good.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Good showing for the U.S., good win for Finland, perfect at 6-0.

Gomez needs to mature.

swflyers8*

kenabnrmal said:
Whats with Selanne, did he just leave the game, or is it a foregone conclusion that he's out of the tourny?

He came right back in the game.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Finnish fans,don't always be so self critical, give this team some credit. This wasn't Niittymäki "saving" us in any way, this was the same solid team performance that we saw from Finland in the World Cup. :handclap:

It wasn't beautiful ice hockey tonight, but that's not so easy when the refs are giving penalties for everything. It's the victory that matters. This team has a good game plan, the confidence and Finland can very well beat CAN/RUS in the semi finals.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
100mph slapshot said:
Why are you posting this? Did Teemu suffer a tournament-ending injury? I didn't see it, only the highsticking incident.

In interwiev he talked about loosin few tooths, but not about not playing at friday.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Steve L said:
You are wrong, someone posted the IIHF rules, could you be any more clueless? :propeller

Careful throwing words like "clueless" around, when *you're* the one who mis-read a post. :sarcasm: I didn't quote you on the rule part, because I happen to know the rule.

I quoted you on the apologise part. People almost *never* admit that they were wrong. As proven by the couple of dozen folks who attacked the ref and linesmen on the call, and their total silence when the actual rule as posted.

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
Selänne should be able to play the semi-final. Unfortunately he was touched by the stick of the US-player at the mouth, but it's not a serious injury I think. I'm still the opinion the US player didn't want it, he was in puck posession and giving a pass to his teammate. I think he even hasn't seen Selänne. It was just bad luck of Selänne.

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
Oh boy. Why do the finns have the be so afraid about winning? Really, they were so passive, very nervous, and totally out of the game for too much in this game. Really, the game could've been much easier for the team, without that beginner type of nerve.

Glad we got Niittymäki, he played the win for us, when the skaters couldn't. 3rd period was so clear, there was only Team USA and Team Antero Niittymäki on ice.

A lot has to be done in just one day, if Finland has set their goal to the gold. A lot.

And for the Italian hotels sake, let them US team players get wasted already in the lockerroom... they'd be leveled before reaching the hotel. :D

Kyri

Apr 5, 2002
Visit site
Wohoooooo, WIN!!! :handclap:

But what the hell happened? Such a poor game from us today, third period was horrible. Must admit that you can`t count Team USA out, they will allways fight to the end. :clap:

Force

Jan 26, 2006
The US lost against the upcoming olympic champion. Take some comfort from that and RUS wiping CAN of the ice with something like 8:2 ;)

ugrakarma

>/dev/null
Jan 28, 2006
boonies, Finland
Selänne sounded like an old wino in the postgame interview and said that probably couple teeth gone but that it doesn't matter as long as the team won. Ville Peltonen still has a nicer smile almost Peter Beardsley like.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Slime said:
Finnish fans,don't always be so self critical, give this team some credit. This wasn't Niittymäki "saving" us in any way, this was the same solid team performance that we saw from Finland in the World Cup. :handclap:

It wasn't beautiful ice hockey tonight, but that's not so easy when the refs are giving penalties for everything. It's the victory that matters. This team has a good game plan, the confidence and Finland can very well beat CAN/RUS in the semi finals.
It was all Team USA vs. Niittymäki in the 3rd. The US were dominating even on PK.

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
Nice effort by USA in the end but it just wasn't enough this time.

Any news on Salo? Did he get hurt badly?

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Zambonidriver² said:
Oh boy. Why do the finns have the be so afraid about winning? Really, they were so passive, very nervous, and totally out of the game for too much in this game. Really, the game could've been much easier for the team, without that beginner type of nerve.

That's not true, I think the truth is that you were nervous watching the game, not our team! We used to be nervous about winning, but that's history now.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Zambonidriver² said:

You realize, that "poor" play by the Finns might just have something to do with good play by the U.S. ;) A team facing elimination is not going to go down quietly.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
blacklabel said:
It was all Team USA vs. Niittymäki in the 3rd. The US were dominating even on PK.
Desperation will do that for you. My fav Finns Lydman and Teppo with big games. Teppo can tease Drury when they get back that he caught him :eek:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Finnswiss said:
Can anybody explain me the rules? There was no intention to injure Selänne, it was an accident, but is it automatically a penalty if the oppenent player get injured? I'm cheering for the Finns but this penalty was not justified I think.
IIHF Hockey Rules:

"530 High Sticking
Carrying sticks above the normal height of the shoulders is prohibited and any player violating this rule shall be assessed, at the discretion of the Referee, a:
- Minor penalty (2)

or

- Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5+GM)

A player who carries or holds any part of his stick above the height of the shoulders and causes an injury with the stick to an opposing player shall be assessed:
- Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5+GM)

However, if the high sticking actoin that caused the injury was judged accidental, the offending player shall be assessed a:
- Double Minor penalty (2+2)"

Hatcher threw up the stick in Selänne's face and got a high sticking causing an injury. However, since it was accidental, he only got 2+2. The ref made the right call.

Last edited:

Puck33

Aug 7, 2005
Lakewood
miss hockey said:
congrats to Team Niittymäki!

Great performance!

Horrible performance by team finland. you threw it away. Team Antero Niittymäki saved the day.

Canadian referee was horrible, a disgrace really. But even with him as the 6th american the USA coudn't score!

Olli Jokinen, Aki Berg - excellent games
Ville Nieminen - monster of a game. Erkka is an idiot to bench you for creating chaos against the americans because of sheer strenght.

Erkka - you sir are an idiot. The team plays like **** and you do nothing. One player playes great, probably greatest shift of anybody in the entire game, and instead of drawing 2 penalties the ref is blind and penalises him, so you bench him. *** is wrong with you Erkka?

Wow! we have dumb chicks in the US to you can hang out with!

shawn_kemp*

I heard that to consolate Team USA, USA Hockey will name Chris Chelios the captain of Team USA in Vancouver 2010. :sarcasm:

Seriously, get rid of those oldies already!

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Zambonidriver² said:

And for the Italian hotels sake, let them US team players get wasted already in the lockerroom... they'd be leveled before reaching the hotel. :D

You know it. We are not an elegant people, not in victory, and most certainly not in defeat. Don't hate us for it, just give us some space to sleep it off after we drown our sorrows in cheap wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->