WJC: Finland 2021 Roster Talk

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Most probably not if the NHL starts at early January and training camps way before that. There´s no official confirmation though.
Ok, i heard that some finnish newspaper said he was going to show up but i can´t find anything about that..

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
With Sweden camp cancelled,when are next activities? Final roster announced?

Camp in Edmonton starts 12.12, final roster should be out on the 24th.

I don't think there is any games before they go to Canada, there is two pratice games before the actual tournament starts.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Camp in Edmonton starts 12.12, final roster should be out on the 24th.

I don't think there is any games before they go to Canada, there is two pratice games before the actual tournament starts.

Finland has missed so much international pre-tournament games
because of COVID19 this season and unfortunately that will cause
problems for Finland to create winning game-plan etc tactics.

Also line-combinations, powerplay-units etc needs to click asap.
There is no time to wait 4 or 5 games before everything works as it should be.
Finland's needs to be ready to play immediately when puck drops vs Germany

I don't have any expectation for Finland in these U20 WJC's.
But i'm happy if Finland makes quarterfinals after that everything-else is a plus

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015

But i'm happy if Finland makes quarterfinals after that everything-else is a plus
Heh other teams havent had any more preparation really and Finns have been playing in Liiga while many other's have been in lockdowns.. Its reasonable to expect gold with this team and Pennanen as coach very talented team and they will have weeks to practice before tournament thats definitely enough. Finland has advatance this season due to Covid compared to most countries because in Finland it has not factored to player's playing/training at pro level much in comparison to other nations. Only excuses to say they cant compete because of that atleast Canada Sweden Czech and Usa are in worse situation and in Germany league hasnt played at all yet and so on..

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Honestly, Finland has become such a legitimate contender at this tournament that we should be expecting them to handle this sort of adversity without issue. They may not be the favourites, but they’re right there once again this year. You should be proud of your country’s program.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
So how do people see the team? Can't really see them leaving Räty's out after being on the team last year, even with the bad start to the season.

Järventie-Lundell(C)-Lambert
Puistola-Räty-Räty
Hirvonen-Pärssinen-Simontaival
Saarela-Helenius-Petman
Nikkanen, Mäntykivi

Heinola-Niemelä
Hatakka-Puutio
Viro-Rafkin
Kokkonen-Rajaniemi/Tuomisto as a wild card.

Blomqvist
Piiroinen
Taponen

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki

We got 3 gold medals from 2014-2019 so missing the quarterfinals isn't really an option.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

king89

Dec 4, 2018
So how do people see the team? Can't really see them leaving Räty's out after being on the team last year, even with the bad start to the season.

Järventie-Lundell(C)-Lambert
Puistola-Räty-Räty
Hirvonen-Pärssinen-Simontaival
Saarela-Helenius-Petman
Nikkanen, Mäntykivi

Heinola-Niemelä
Hatakka-Puutio
Viro-Rafkin
Kokkonen-Rajaniemi/Tuomisto as a wild card.

Blomqvist
Piiroinen
Taponen
I have nothing against leaving out Aku, but since they are brothers and have played so much together i guess both are in.

I can see this team lineup in many ways, but i think there is some players Pennanen & co will want to keep together.

Lundell - Puistola
Räty - Räty
Young guy - Pärssinen

So maybe something like this?

Simontaival- Lundell -Puistola
Räty- Räty -Hirvonen
Lambert- Pärssinen -Järventie
Saarela- Helenius -Petman
Pyyhtiä/Nikkanen

Im a bit unsure of Simontaival and his status right know, but he has played with Lundell before and he is our most skilled righty together with Lambert.

Hirvonen played with Räty brothers in a pre tourney last season and they looked good together. Also want Hirvonen in a top 6 role.

First off, i want both Lambert and Järventie in this roster. They are too good to be left out. But it also makes things a bit tricky. Because both of them are very young and not so defensively sound. That's why i think it would be best if they played with Pärssinen, who is mature and good defensively. Separate them is an option too of course.

Heinola - Niemelä
Viro - Hatakka
Kokkonen - Puutio
/Rajaniemi maybe?

Heinola - Niemelä seems set in stone, after that its a bit more open.

Viro - Hatakka seems like the strongest pairing after that, both are allround defensmen that have no glaring holes in their game, both are also playing solid minutes in their separate Liiga teams.

Kokkonen - Puutio can form a shutdown pair, both have their strenght in the defense and might benefit from less minutes.

Blomqvist
Taponen
Piiroinen
/Open for take

I like the forward group. Defense and goaltending, not as much. We'll see how it goes, always a great tourney.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I have nothing against leaving out Aku, but since they are brothers and have played so much together i guess both are in.

I can see this team lineup in many ways, but i think there is some players Pennanen & co will want to keep together.

Lundell - Puistola
Räty - Räty
Young guy - Pärssinen

So maybe something like this?

Simontaival- Lundell -Puistola
Räty- Räty -Hirvonen
Lambert- Pärssinen -Järventie
Saarela- Helenius -Petman
Pyyhtiä/Nikkanen

Im a bit unsure of Simontaival and his status right know, but he has played with Lundell before and he is our most skilled righty together with Lambert.

Hirvonen played with Räty brothers in a pre tourney last season and they looked good together. Also want Hirvonen in a top 6 role.

First off, i want both Lambert and Järventie in this roster. They are too good to be left out. But it also makes things a bit tricky. Because both of them are very young and not so defensively sound. That's why i think it would be best if they played with Pärssinen, who is mature and good defensively. Separate them is an option too of course.

Heinola - Niemelä
Viro - Hatakka
Kokkonen - Puutio
/Rajaniemi maybe?

Heinola - Niemelä seems set in stone, after that its a bit more open.

Viro - Hatakka seems like the strongest pairing after that, both are allround defensmen that have no glaring holes in their game, both are also playing solid minutes in their separate Liiga teams.

Kokkonen - Puutio can form a shutdown pair, both have their strenght in the defense and might benefit from less minutes.

Blomqvist
Taponen
Piiroinen
/Open for take

I like the forward group. Defense and goaltending, not as much. We'll see how it goes, always a great tourney.
What? Järventie not sound defensively? He has been in fact quite good defensively this season. And especially when comparing to other U20 players, he is in fact good defensively. Anyway I don’t see how Järventie could be left out of the top 6, as he is the best forward in the team after Lundell.

Also I don’t see Kokkonen as a defensively very good defenceman. Generally I don’t like his play too much, and he seems to have practically regressed during the last couple of years. In fact Antti Tuomisto should definitely be in the team at least based on his skills and size. The problem with him might though be that has he played at all this season? I guess not?

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Simontaival-Lundell-Puistola
Lambert-Räty-Järventie
Pärssinen-Hirvonen-Saarela
Aaltonen-Helenius-Miettinen

Nikkanen,Petman, Räty, Pyyhtiä, Mäntykivi, Tieksola, Valkeejärvi, Tuomaala, Henriksson, Puhakka, Myllylä, Suni, Liukas

I would love to see a speedy (underrated) Aaltonen on the fourth line. He has always performed in a Leijonat jersey in my opinion. I like his motor. I believe speed is a bit underrated when it comes to the lower lines. Just like Hagelin for Pittsburg back in the days and just like Pihlström for Finland 2011 and so on. Nikkanen and Aaltonen are from Mikkelin Jukurit so that could've been fun to see. Young but extremely talented second line, just like 2016. I´m not sure about Aku and would have wanted to see Aatu with greatly skilled wingers instead. Simontaival is a question mark perhaps, but I believe Lundell can carry a line just like Rantanen did back in 2016. Puistola should have the skill to be a decent winger for him.
The third line should have enough potential to match other contenders third line, except Canada perhaps. I´m not sure about Saarela, he has been underwhelming in Pikkuleijonat when I saw him at last year, or was it wjc-18, don't remember.
Everyone forgets Veeti Miettinen, if he is a decent skater he should be in the fourth line with Aaltonen just because I´m not sure Petman has the intensity? Veetinen played with Räty in Espoo as well, could be interesting in a third line with Pärssinen, Saarela or Aaltonen. Nikkanen or Helenius as 4th center? Don't know.

Kakko(in my dreams), I mean Dach is playing.

Heinola-Niemelä (feels promising like Vaakanainen-Jokiharju back in the days).
Hatakka-Kokkonen
Viro-Rafkin/Puutio

Puutio/Rafkin, Tuomisto, Jurmo, Loponen, Rajaniemi, Vilen, Malinen( fan of him since WHC-17, good skater and puck handling), how is Sedoff nowadays? Luoto

To be honest, I haven't followed the D-men close enough to have a good view over their level this year. I just know Heinola is smart and that Niemelä can really skate and that they should be the first pair. Puutio has experience from smaller rinks and that should count for something. Perhaps Tuomisto should be on the roster but then he should be in a top 4 role with Heinola or Hatakka. Heinola-Tuomisto? Tuomisto has not been good when I've seen him in the Leijonat jersey but in the same time, let's hope that's history. Because his numbers from last year is impressive.

Blomqvist
Taponen
Piiroinen

Goalies, not that impressive. No Luukkonen or Saros. Forward pool is more than decent at this level, pretty good depth. D-men are okay I guess.
Overall, with a good coaching staff and a decent system, this team should aim for the semifinals, and there everything is possible. Quarters is a must.
My favorites are Russia and Canada, followed by the three other contenders.

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

I can't see Järventie not being on the roster. He has been too good this season to be left out. I would maybe put him with Lundell even. He is capable enough to cover for Järventie and I think they could do some damage together. Lambert with Pärssinen sounds like a solid idea. Pärssinen provides physical maturity and defensive abilities to overcome Lambert's weaknesses. They could put together JYP-line with Lambert-Helenius-Puistola, although I don't think it's a good idea.

I agree. The forward group seems solid and it has a lot of options. They should be able to score goals and have a defensive line for defending a lead. I think goaltending is fine, it's not a particular strength but it shouldn't lose games either. Defence is weird. I see a lot of options for it but it lacks elite talent. There are many puckmovers, which makes me a bit worried about defending. Also, it doesn't have a lot of physical players, which could be a problem in a smaller NA rink.

Reactions: king89

king89

Dec 4, 2018
What? Järventie not sound defensively? He has been in fact quite good defensively this season. And especially when comparing to other U20 players, he is in fact good defensively. Anyway I don’t see how Järventie could be left out of the top 6, as he is the best forward in the team after Lundell.

Also I don’t see Kokkonen as a defensively very good defenceman. Generally I don’t like his play too much, and he seems to have practically regressed during the last couple of years. In fact Antti Tuomisto should definitely be in the team at least based on his skills and size. The problem with him might though be that has he played at all this season? I guess not?
I must say that i have not watched Järventie this season, but in the games i have seen him in i think he was unreliable at times and almost lazy/not so interested. But great if he has improved that aspect of his game. Maybe stupid of me to say something like that without having seen him recently.

Regarding Tuomisto, i agree that he should be on this team. But as you say he has not yet played a game this season and that has probably hurt his chances.

Reactions: Ippenator

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Regarding Tuomisto, i agree that he should be on this team. But as you say he has not yet played a game this season and that has probably hurt his chances.

That is true Tuomisto has not played a game but unlike CHL teams, college teams have been practicing and working out for awhile now. Not sure if the Finland coaching staff will be aware of this though but they should be

Reactions: Ippenator

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Saarela injured. That gives Aaltonen, Miettinen and Nikkanen (even if he's a center) bigger chances to take a spot perhaps. Nikkanen has stepped up his point production lately. Could there be a chance that Hirvonen and Pärssinen plays on the wing? Because the center depth is quite decent this year with Nikkanen, Helenius, Hirvonen, Pärssinen, Lundell, Räty, Mäntykivi, Pyyhtiä etc.

Reactions: hn777

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Saarela injured. That gives Aaltonen, Miettinen and Nikkanen (even if he's a center) bigger chances to take a spot perhaps. Nikkanen has stepped up his point production lately. Could there be a chance that Hirvonen and Pärssinen plays on the wing? Because the center depth is quite decent this year with Nikkanen, Helenius, Hirvonen, Pärssinen, Lundell, Räty, Mäntykivi, Pyyhtiä etc.

Finns definitely shouldn't leave out centers just because there are not enough center spots. Team Canada has been quite successful having more centers than wingers in their lineup. Lundell, Räty, Hirvonen, Pärssinen, Nikkanen and Helenius should all definitely be on the team. For once center position shouldn't be a weakness for Finland.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Reactions: JabbaJabba

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Heinola, Niemelä, Hatakka and Viro are safe cards at this point. Kokkonen has the experience and i believe he could be decent on a third pair, unlike Tuomisto.

I would want to see:
Heinola-Niemelä
Hatakka-Tuomisto
Viro-Rafkin (should have chemistry from TPS)

Puutio, Kokkonen, Määttä.

Kokkonen, if Tuomisto is not selected? Is Rami Määttä an option instead of Kokkonen in a third pair? Rather see good defending defenders because the offense should be quite good this year.

I read that link BullsFan shared, does Tuomaala has a chance to take a spot already? I´m not sure he would be better in a lower line than Miettinen, Petman and others, or am I totally wrong here? Should he be considered before players listed and such as Henriksson, Aaltonen, Puhakka etc? Has anyone seen Tuomaala recently?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->