WJC: Finland 2021 Roster Talk

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Only saw half the game, Lundell was flying out there his skating has improved. Also Helenius is quite the physical specimen

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
So... if the NHL season is delayed long enough...

Kaapo Kakko would be eligible to play on this team.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Why not? You always want to win more. Should Anton Lundell then also skip the tournament?

The competition is too weak for Kakko, he already has a lot of NHL experience. There's no challenge in beating some physically immature kids. Would be better to go and play against grown men in one of the European leagues that are playing right now.

I didn't remember that Lundell won gold in u20s. I think he has more to learn in that level as he would be the number 1 center and he did so poorly last year in that role.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The competition is too weak for Kakko, he already has a lot of NHL experience. There's no challenge in beating some physically immature kids. Would be better to go and play against grown men in one of the European leagues that are playing right now.

I didn't remember that Lundell won gold in u20s. I think he has more to learn in that level as he would be the number 1 center and he did so poorly last year in that role.
I mean if Kakko is playing then Lafrieniere is also playing....and Jack Hughes is playing. Winning a best on best WJC is definitely going to be enticing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I mean if Kakko is playing then Lafrieniere is also playing....and Jack Hughes is playing. Winning a best on best WJC is definitely going to be inciting.

This WJC could be special if most of the best players under 20 attend it. Usually guys like Lafreniere wouldn't be available, but due to the situation it is a possibility. I admit that Finland playing against Canada in the finals would be a test even for Kakko.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Roby Järventie should have a shot?

Maybe, there is a lot of skilled forwards to choose from,

I think we will see guys like Petman, Mäntykivi, Puhakka, Helenius and Korhonen on the 4th line instead picking the 12 most highly skilled players.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

He did so poorly last year in that role he wasn't even playing in the tournament because he was injured

Reactions: Sinkkunaattori

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Roster against Sweden 5.-7.11.

Goalies
Blomqvist Joel, Hermes Kokkola
Piiroinen Kari, TUTO Hockey Turku
Taponen Roope, Kiekko-Espoo

Defenders
Hatakka Santeri, Ilves Tampere
Heinola Ville, Lukko Rauma
Kokkonen Mikko, Jukurit Mikkeli
Luoto Mico, K-Vantaa
Niemelä Topi, Kärpät Oulu
Pulli Valtteri, TPS Turku
Puutio Kasper, Kärpät Oulu
Rafkin Ruben, TPS Turku
Rajaniemi Matias, Pelicans Lahti
Viro Eemil, TPS Turku

Forwards
Helenius Samuel, JYP Jyväskylä
Hirvonen Roni, Ässät Pori
Järventie Roby, Ilves Tampere
Korhonen Benjamin, KalPa Kuopio
Lambert Brad, JYP Jyväskylä
Lundell Anton, HIFK Helsinki
Mäntykivi Matias, SaiPa Lappeenranta
Nikkanen Henri, Jukurit Mikkeli
Petman Mikko, Lukko Rauma
Puhakka Petteri, Tappara Tampere
Pyyhtiä Mikael, TPS Turku
Pärssinen Juuso, TPS Turku
Räty Aku, Kärpät Oulu
Saarela Antti, Ilves Tampere
Simontaival Kasper, TUTO Hockey Turku

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Think this pretty confirm it was Aatu who has covid, since Puutio and Niemelä are on the team?

No Puistola, terrible start to the season but he's gotta be on the final roster?

Weird picking Aku Räty since he has not played any games this year and might just return from injury when this tournament is. Didn't really look that great in the pre-season games.

Reactions: Pardus

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Wait, which tournament are you talking about?

The last WJC where Lundell was injured and didn't play. You said reference Lundell, the WJC, and being a number 1 center "He did poorly last year in that role". If you were referring to the WJC he wasn't on the roster last year because of injury. If you weren't referring to the WJC then that statement reads as if you were.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
The last WJC where Lundell was injured and didn't play. You said reference Lundell, the WJC, and being a number 1 center "He did poorly last year in that role". If you were referring to the WJC he wasn't on the roster last year because of injury. If you weren't referring to the WJC then that statement reads as if you were.

Oh I see where I made a mistake. I misremembered. In my opinion Lundell was bad in U18 games in 2019 and I mixed it up with last year's U20 games where he didn't play. I did check Eliteprospect for stats prior to my original message and I saw that Lundell had 1 point in 6 internation games last season, but didn't notice that those weren't U20 games. I just thought that he did even worse than I had remembered. My bad.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
i don't know if my sarcasm-radar is broken or what.....

But usually Finnish hockey players for Finland. This whole Canada or Finland thing, has only been pointless internet talk.
If bob McKenzie was reporting on it then it was legitimate.

kinda sucks seeing Bordeleau and Lambert in blue, but in Lambert’s case I believe he literally spent all his hockey years except one in Finland.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
If bob McKenzie was reporting on it then it was legitimate.

kinda sucks seeing Bordeleau and Lambert in blue, but in Lambert’s case I believe he literally spent all his hockey years except one in Finland.
Well Bob said, Canada would like to have him. And Lambert said to the finnish press, that there was never any choice to make between Finland and Canada. And it's obvious to play for Finland.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Well Bob said, Canada would like to have him. And Lambert said to the finnish press, that there was never any choice to make between Finland and Canada. And it's obvious to play for Finland.
Didn’t know Lambert said that, but it was said that getting him eligible would have been tricky.

I’m guessing Canada couldn’t get him eligible for them. How does he stack up against Laine at the same age ?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Didn’t know Lambert said that, but it was said that getting him eligible would have been tricky.

I’m guessing Canada couldn’t get him eligible for them. How does he stack up against Laine at the same age ?
Yes, Lambert would have had to play 2 years in Canada. But apparently that was never an option.

Right now Lambert is more mature as a person than Laine was in that age. And Lambert is playing full time in Liiga, Laine played in Mestis, but his team was pretty stacked. Both were pretty much the same at the age of 15, Lambert scored 38 points in 42 games in the U20 league last season, Laine scored 37 points in 40 games. Laine took lot of steps forward in his draft year, in Lambert's case that remains to be seen.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Yes, Lambert would have had to play 2 years in Canada. But apparently that was never an option.

Right now Lambert is more mature as a person than Laine was in that age. And Lambert is playing full time in Liiga, Laine played in Mestis, but his team was pretty stacked. Both were pretty much the same at the age of 15, Lambert scored 38 points in 42 games in the U20 league last season, Laine scored 37 points in 40 games. Laine took lot of steps forward in his draft year, in Lambert's case that remains to be seen.
Yeah the difference between Laine and Lambert comparing their U20's in junior league is that Lambert was a whole year younger than Laine while being on par with production whilst on a much weaker team depth wise. Which makes it insanely impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad