Heniola - Honka
Seppälä - Niemelä
Kokkonen - Rindell
Thomson

Anntunen
Patrikainen
Taponen

Not counting in Kotkanimi/Kakko, not realistic that they will be
released. Kupari i think will come. Lundell/Seppälä/Niemelä hopefully not injured when WJC is on.

I dont see why this team would not challenge for gold, its a deep team.

A swede who can't spell the names correct and believes that Thomson is the seventh D? Imagine that this sore loser (remember the mens WC) believes a fourth line will have Tanus as a winger. Nordgren has been injured too long. I know your mentality, you want to write others are favorites just because you got so mad when Finlands Liiga won against Swedens NHL´ers.

There will almost always be 3-4 potential gold winners in a tournament, but Finland is by no means the biggest favorite this year.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
A swede who can't spell the names correct and believes that Thomson is the seventh D? Imagine that this sore loser (remember the mens WC) believes a fourth line will have Tanus as a winger. Nordgren has been injured too long. I know your mentality, you want to write others are favorites just because you got so mad when Finlands Liiga won against Swedens NHL´ers.

There will almost always be 3-4 potential gold winners in a tournament, but Finland is by no means the biggest favorite this year.
I don't know. You don't need to like the roster, but at least he put up his prediction. You don't need to be Finnish to predict so I appreciate his contribution.

"Sore loser" and "got mad" are just unnecessary things to say about someone because he is Swedish and you just don't like them. Its like assuming things because of nationality.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I don't know. You don't need to like the roster, but at least he put up his prediction. You don't need to be Finnish to predict so I appreciate his contribution.

"Sore loser" and "got mad" are just unnecessary things to say about someone because he is Swedish and you just don't like them. Its like assuming things because of nationality.

No, we have a history. At end of the day it has nothing to do with ethnicity. This guy has really bad manners and i don´t feel that i have to respect him anymore. You can look up old threads and what cr*p he wrote.

And yeah, it´s very unlikely to see Tanus as a winger and Thomson as 7th D. Almost on a level that he should avoid commenting and speculating if he doesn´t have a clue. Look at his attempts to spell those names as well, i mean we have the same alphabet or don´t we?

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019

Finland has become a powerhouse in juniorhockey and we have had some really good rosters lately. This roster is good, but last year we had players like Heponiemi, Tolvanen, Kakko and this gave us a one-two punch with two really skilled lines and overall good depth.
This year the depth is probably there, but that one-two punch seems to be gone. Maccelli and hopefully Lundell and Kupari are important assets but i don´t believe Puistola etc will match the level of Heponiemi, Tolvanen and Kakko. Not on paper, but i could be wrong and hey, it´s hockey everything can happen.

With that said, Canada looks stronger than in many years. On paper they have some really good depth on the forward side, probably better than past years. Lafreniere, Newhook, Krebs, Cozens, perhaps Hayton, Veleno, Mchmichael, Perfetti, Byfield, Zary, Pelletier, Lavoie etc. You get the point.

Russia has two beasts in Mifthakov and Askarov. They always have some what depth because of their huge population and Podkolzin, Denisenko, Marchenko, Zavgorodny, Dorofeyev could be on the same level or above the Finnish leading players.

Sweden have Raymond, Holtz, Höglander etc. They are not necessarily worse or better on paper, but it will always be pretty close between us in juniorhockey.

The US are the US. They have a program that makes them medal contenders in every tournament. Enough said.

Czechs have a great goalie in Dostal as well. They have been lacking in depth, but they can always upset in any game. Dark horse as usual, with some interesting players in Pytlik, Lauko, Blümel, Has, Mysak, Teplý, Lang, Zabransky etc.

So... No, i would not say that we have a stronger roster than Canada, USA or Russia this year. Last year we had the best roster with the US and perhaps Canada. It would be a bit naive to say that we are the biggest favorites this year.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finland has become a powerhouse in juniorhockey and we have had some really good rosters lately. This roster is good, but last year we had players like Heponiemi, Tolvanen, Kakko and this gave us a one-two punch with two really skilled lines and overall good depth.
This year the depth is probably there, but that one-two punch seems to be gone. Maccelli and hopefully Lundell and Kupari are important assets but i don´t believe Puistola etc will match the level of Heponiemi, Tolvanen and Kakko. Not on paper, but i could be wrong and hey, it´s hockey everything can happen.

With that said, Canada looks stronger than in many years. On paper they have some really good depth on the forward side, probably better than past years. Lafreniere, Newhook, Krebs, Cozens, perhaps Hayton, Veleno, Mchmichael, Perfetti, Byfield, Zary, Pelletier, Lavoie etc. You get the point.

Russia has two beasts in Mifthakov and Askarov. They always have some what depth because of their huge population and Podkolzin, Denisenko, Marchenko, Zavgorodny, Dorofeyev could be on the same level or above the Finnish leading players.

Sweden have Raymond, Holtz, Höglander etc. They are not necessarily worse or better on paper, but it will always be pretty close between us in juniorhockey.

The US are the US. They have a program that makes them medal contenders in every tournament. Enough said.

Czechs have a great goalie in Dostal as well. They have been lacking in depth, but they can always upset in any game. Dark horse as usual, with some interesting players in Pytlik, Lauko, Blümel, Has, Mysak, Teplý, Lang, Zabransky etc.

So... No, i would not say that we have a stronger roster than Canada, USA or Russia this year. Last year we had the best roster with the US and perhaps Canada. It would be a bit naive to say that we are the biggest favorites this year.
I didn't say a thing about rosters. I meant the poster as a poster, not opinions or anything. I just thought calling someone a "sore loser" was a bit much when he was only predicting our roster.

But yes, this is an okay roster, but not as strong as some of our previous ones.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I didn't say a thing about rosters. I meant the poster as a poster, not opinions or anything. I just thought calling someone a "sore loser" was a bit much when he was only predicting our roster.

But yes, this is an okay roster, but not as strong as some of our previous ones.

Well, now you know. I wrote about our history, he lost all of my respect during the mens WC. Every post he wrote gave that vibe of "Sweden is far superior compared to every northern country in everything, no matter what". On top of that i think he wrote a lot of irrelevant nonsense and if he can´t spell the Finnish surnames or understand that Thomson is a top D? Well, why would i be polite or respect his comments? He´s already wasted his chances regarding my respect and that should not be your concern and if it is, do your research ;)

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, now you know. I wrote about our history, he lost all of my respect during the mens WC. Every post he wrote gave that vibe of "Sweden is far superior compared to every northern country in everything, no matter what". On top of that i think he wrote a lot of irrelevant nonsense and if he can´t spell the Finnish surnames or understand that Thomson is a top D? Well, why would i be polite or respect his comments? He´s already wasted his chances regarding my respect and that should not be your concern and if it is, do your research ;)
I don't care about that kind of stuff, its just something every country does during tournaments when everyone is cheering for their own country and are have passion about it. Many Finns do that and they are even worse.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
This team absolutely plays for gold. My only doubts are related to coaching, Raipe shouldn't be coaching this team.

Who should have been Finland's U20 head coach this season if Raipe is ''wrong'' choice.
Should it have been Marko Virtanen or Tuomas Tuokkola then huh?

There was only 3 candidates ( Helminen,Virtanen and Tuokkola)
available for Team Finland U20 head coach position.

Sure some merited liiga coach like Antti Pennanen or Mikko Manner would certainly have accepted that job if it had been possible but it wasn't and you know damn well why.

Yes it sucks Tommi Niemelä decided to go Switzerland NLA league after 2018 U18 WJC gold medal.
But Finnish hockey association can't force any coach to stay if they have got better job somewhere else.

So only what you can do is deal with it Helminen is now U20 head coach.
And that's it as much you hate it.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Macceli - Lundell - Kupari
Nordgren - R.Hirvonen - Pustiola
Oden - Räty - Räty
Saarela - Kivenmäki - Tanus
Killinen

Heniola - Honka
Seppälä - Niemelä
Kokkonen - Rindell
Thomson

Anntunen
Patrikainen
Taponen

released. Kupari i think will come. Lundell/Seppälä/Niemelä hopefully not injured when WJC is on.

Lundell is injured and he's out of the games 6 weeks.
It's 99% sure he won't play U20 WJC's this year.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016

Umm. Lundell was the 2C last year as a double underager. But other than that the team had some good pieces and felt different to 2017 and 2018 based on the first practice game.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Umm. Lundell was the 2C last year as a double underager. But other than that the team had some good pieces and felt different to 2017 and 2018 based on the first practice game.

Yeah and Lundell is probably a future top2 center in the NHL so that´s not that weird or sensational. Kupari and Heponiemi were potential centers and Talvitie is a true, underrated leader who can score goals. Actually, i´m sure Talvitie can make it to the NHL if he can be injure free and if he wants that before another kind of civil career. He has leadership qualities and that important heart and grit to make it.
This year the center depth is not on the same level and the overall forward depth is not on the same level in my opinion. It´s good, no doubt, but not as good as last years.
We would of needed Nordgren and Lundell in peak form.

Regarding the D´s and goalies. Heinola is really exciting, just as Thomson and Annunen but still, let´s not forget how good Jokiharju and especially Vaakanainen and Luukkonen was. Ukko was a hero in the semis and finals and the games were close, even if we had a great roster.

Reactions: king89

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Yeah and Lundell is probably a future top2 center in the NHL so that´s not that weird or sensational. Kupari and Heponiemi were potential centers and Talvitie is a true, underrated leader who can score goals. Actually, i´m sure Talvitie can make it to the NHL if he can be injure free and if he wants that before another kind of civil career. He has leadership qualities and that important heart and grit to make it.
This year the center depth is not on the same level and the overall forward depth is not on the same level in my opinion. It´s good, no doubt, but not as good as last years.
We would of needed Nordgren and Lundell in peak form.

Regarding the D´s and goalies. Heinola is really exciting, just as Thomson and Annunen but still, let´s not forget how good Jokiharju and especially Vaakanainen and Luukkonen was. Ukko was a hero in the semis and finals and the games were close, even if we had a great roster.
Amen.

Reactions: Svedu

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Well i am by no means an expert when it comes to finish junior players, so yeah maybe i should not had made an roster.

You accuse me of bashing finland in other threads, and? you probaly bashed sweden several times. its normal when you are rivals, sometimes i was just ironic when bashing finland.

IMO no clear favorites this time, Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland is all very close. But the team i am looking forward most to see is Germany, they have somthing good going on.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Good news from HIFK
Niklas Nordgren is back to games and he plays tonight's men's SM liiga game vs Oulun Kärpät.
Nordgren plays HIFK's 3rd line with Micke Åsten and Michael Keränen.
Tonight's HIFK vs Kärpät game is TV game in SUB TV channel.

Reactions: king89

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
My Team Finland:

Maccelli - Kupari - Nordgren
Puistola - Lundell - Oden
Ranta - Räty - Räty
Hirvonen - Pärssinen - Salonen
Haatanen (Tanus)

Heinola - Thomson
Nousiainen - Rindell
Hatakka - Honka
Seppälä (Tuomisto)

Annunen
Patrikainen
Blomqvist

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Macceli - Lundell - Kupari
Nordgren - R.Hirvonen - Pustiola
Oden - Räty - Räty
Saarela - Kivenmäki - Tanus
Killinen

Heniola - Honka
Seppälä - Niemelä
Kokkonen - Rindell
Thomson

Anntunen
Patrikainen
Taponen

Thomson as the 7th D? How is that?

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Leijonat - Nämä pelaajat ovat ehdolla Nuorten Leijonien MM-leiriryhmään

Contenders for our camp roster:

Goalies:
Annunen Justus, Kärpät Oulu
Patrikainen Jasper, Peliitat Heinola
Piiroinen Kari, Winsdor Spitfires OHL

Defensemen:

Hatakka Santeri, Ilves Tampere
Heinola Ville, Lukko Rauma
Honka Anttoni, JYP Jyväskylä
Kokkonen Mikko, Jukurit Mikkeli
Kukkonen Miska, Lukko Rauma
Niemelä Topi, Kärpät Oulu
Nousiainen Kim, KalPa Kuopio
Rindell Axel, Jukurit Mikkeli
Seppälä Peetro, KooKoo Kouvola
Thomson Lassi, Ilves Tampere
Utunen Toni, Tappara Tampere

Forwards:

Aaltonen Leevi, KalPa Kuopio
Erholtz Eemil, Sport Vaasa
Haatanen Aleks, Peliitat Heinola
Hirvonen Roni, Ässät Pori
Killinen Lenni, Ässät Pori
Kivenmäki Otto, Ässät Pori
Kupari Rasmus, Los Angeles Kings
Lundell Anton, HIFK Helsinki
Maccelli Matias, Ilves Tampere
Nikkanen Henri, Jukurit Mikkeli
Nordgren Niklas, HIFK Helsinki
Oden Joonas, KooKoo Kouvola
Petman Mikko, Lukko Rauma
Petman Ville, Lukko Rauma
Puistola Patrik, Tappara Tampere
Ranta Sampo, University of Minnesota
Räty Aatu, Kärpät Oulu
Räty Aku, Kärpät Oulu
Saarela Antti, Ilves Tampere
Salonen Samuel, Peliitat Heinola
Siikanen Patrik, JYP Jyväskylä
Tanus Kristian, Jukurit Mikkeli

Last edited:

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Leijonat - Nämä pelaajat ovat ehdolla Nuorten Leijonien MM-leiriryhmään

Contenders for our camp roster:

Goalies:
Annunen Justus, Kärpät Oulu
Patrikainen Jasper, Peliitat Heinola
Piiroinen Kari, Winsdor Spitfires OHL

Defensemen:

Hatakka Santeri, Ilves Tampere
Heinola Ville, Lukko Rauma
Honka Anttoni, JYP Jyväskylä
Kokkonen Mikko, Jukurit Mikkeli
Kukkonen Miska, Lukko Rauma
Niemelä Topi, Kärpät Oulu
Nousiainen Kim, KalPa Kuopio
Rindell Axel, Jukurit Mikkeli
Seppälä Peetro, KooKoo Kouvola
Thomson Lassi, Ilves Tampere
Utunen Toni, Tappara Tampere

Forwards:

Aaltonen Leevi, KalPa Kuopio
Erholtz Eemil, Sport Vaasa
Haatanen Aleks, Peliitat Heinola
Hirvonen Roni, Ässät Pori
Killinen Lenni, Ässät Pori
Kivenmäki Otto, Ässät Pori
Kupari Rasmus, Los Angeles Kings
Lundell Anton, HIFK Helsinki
Maccelli Matias, Ilves Tampere
Nikkanen Henri, Jukurit Mikkeli
Nordgren Niklas, HIFK Helsinki
Oden Joonas, KooKoo Kouvola
Petman Mikko, Lukko Rauma
Petman Ville, Lukko Rauma
Puistola Patrik, Tappara Tampere
Ranta Sampo, University of Minnesota
Räty Aatu, Kärpät Oulu
Räty Aku, Kärpät Oulu
Saarela Antti, Ilves Tampere
Salonen Samuel, Peliitat Heinola
Siikanen Patrik, JYP Jyväskylä
Tanus Kristian, Jukurit Mikkeli

Has anyone seen Leevi Aaltonen play this year? The numbers are not that impressing but i´ve always liked his toolbox. What about the other Mikkeli son Nikkanen then? Has all those injuries ruined him or how is he playing?

A bit interesting that Mäntykivi is not included in this group or am i wrong? Players like Siikanen, Kivenmäki, Killinen, Haatanen, Tanus, Salonen and Petmans before him seems a tad surprising in my books, especially Kivenmäki who is a smallish center? I´ve read that he´s more of a top6 player and that´s why i´m interested to hear opinions regarding Kivenmäki vs Mäntykivi, so please can anyone inform me? I know Tanus is a player who can buy a lower role and offer some hard work so that still makes some sense for me.
Can some HIFK fans report the status of Nordgren? How is he progressing after that injury hell he´s been through?
Also interesting that second round draft Tuomisto is not able to take a spot in this big group of players. On the other hand, Thomson, Niemelä and Honka are playing with men and these guys are right handed as well.

Overall no major surprises, but as i wrote, i´m interested to hear something about Mäntykivi vs Kivenmäki, Tanus etc.

PastaBergyMarchy

Apr 8, 2019
@Svedu Aaltonen is good skater, but he is physically a little bit weak. He is not so good in double struggles, but he´s wrist shot is good. I don´t think that he is going to make final roster this year.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Also interesting that second round draft Tuomisto is not able to take a spot in this big group of players. On the other hand, Thomson, Niemelä and Honka are playing with men and these guys are right handed as well.

Overall no major surprises, but as i wrote, i´m interested to hear something about Mäntykivi vs Kivenmäki, Tanus etc.
Tuomisto was probably left out just because he plays in juniors even though he is only playing there to allow him to go NCAA. Some say he is the best defenseman in A-jrs currently.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
@Svedu Aaltonen is good skater, but he is physically a little bit weak. He is not so good in double struggles, but he´s wrist shot is good. I don´t think that he is going to make final roster this year.

Thank you for answering so fast. Yeah, i like his motor and i would honestly prefer him with a Oden kind of a guy on a lower line before those other, bigger wingers. A bit like Antti Pihlström, Hagelin type of players are fun to see because they can be a threat on the counters and hey, Hagelin has some Stanleys and Pihlström played his role in Finlands gold 2011.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Tuomisto was probably left out just because he plays in juniors even though he is only playing there to allow him to go NCAA. Some say he is the best defenseman in A-jrs currently.

Yeah, i know that College situation but still, i´ve heard that he´s not the best skater and he was not that good when playing the WJC-18´s. I´ve also heard he´s a offensive minded top role D and i´m not convinced that he´s better than Thomson, quite the opposite actually. I have not seen Niemelä enough to build an opinion, but Honka has always been a bit to risky in his decision making for my personal taste. Well, he´s young and there is time to polish that i guess.

Who would you "FinPanda" choose between Tuomisto and Honka?

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yeah, i know that College situation but still, i´ve heard that he´s not the best skater and he was not that good when playing the WJC-18´s. I´ve also heard he´s a offensive minded top role D and i´m not convinced that he´s better than Thomson, quite the opposite actually. I have not seen Niemelä enough to build an opinion, but Honka has always been a bit to risky in his decision making for my personal taste. Well, he´s young and there is time to polish that i guess.

Who would you "FinPanda" choose between Tuomisto and Honka?
I don't like Honka so Tuomisto. Honka can bring more offense though and if he is on his game, he probably won't hurt the team.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Has anyone seen Leevi Aaltonen play this year? The numbers are not that impressing but i´ve always liked his toolbox. What about the other Mikkeli son Nikkanen then? Has all those injuries ruined him or how is he playing?

A bit interesting that Mäntykivi is not included in this group or am i wrong? Players like Siikanen, Kivenmäki, Killinen, Haatanen, Tanus, Salonen and Petmans before him seems a tad surprising in my books, especially Kivenmäki who is a smallish center? I´ve read that he´s more of a top6 player and that´s why i´m interested to hear opinions regarding Kivenmäki vs Mäntykivi, so please can anyone inform me? I know Tanus is a player who can buy a lower role and offer some hard work so that still makes some sense for me.
Can some HIFK fans report the status of Nordgren? How is he progressing after that injury hell he´s been through?

All what i know of Nordgren is that he was in HIP surgery this past spring.
And that surgery wasn't minor it was major.

Because i don't belong to HIFK's inside circle and i don't have any contacts to HIFK's team
that's all what i can tell.

I'm really sorry i can't tell more of Nordgren's injury and why that hip surgery was made.
Nordgren had quite quiet game last Friday vs Kärpät.
And he didn't shine but also he didn't disappoint either.

Nordgren had one very good scoring chance in Kärpät's game 1st period
but this time he couldn't put puck in half empty net.

I didn't watch Tappara vs HIFK game last Saturday.
So i don't have any information how Nordgren played in that game.
Once again i'm really sorry about that i can't help more in this case.

Before his 2 liiga games Nordgren played 4 games in HIFK's A juniors.
He scored there 4 points ( all assists.) but the fact is that he's playing badly half shape.
It clearly shows Nordgren has been sidelined almost a year so don't expect too much about him.

Should Nordgren be named Finland's U20 WJC team i don't know about that.
So Raipe Helminen and other coaches should decide that.

But if i was Raipe i would take Nordgren in the U20 WJC team but his role would be 13th forward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad