WJC: Finland 2020 Roster Talk

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Very smart and brilliant idea Raipe to not take 13th forward in the team.
We are so screwed up with these U20 WJC's as ever possible.

Hopefully this idiot coach won't never again be Finland's head coach any international tournament.
Now we have to hope that Annunen gets his godmode going every single game.
If we wanna win something in this tournament.

Hopefully next year Pennanen won't do same terrible decisions
what Raipe did to selecting our U20 WJC team.
Yes this is the dumbest decision by far. Do you even need to register the whole team before the tournament? Like what should we do now? Play a defensmen at wing?

No it's useless...
A dead end...
Make Aatu Räty 1C or something...
It's all we have left..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yes this is the dumbest decision by far. Do you even need to register the whole team before the tournament? Like what should we do now? Play a defensmen at wing?

No it's useless...
A dead end...
Make Aatu Räty 1C or something...
It's all we have left..

It's not a dumb decision IF you pick 5 C anyway with someone playing the wing. Unfortunately this age group doesn't have than luxury.

king89

Dec 4, 2018
It's not a dumb decision IF you pick 5 C anyway with someone playing the wing. Unfortunately this age group doesn't have than luxury.
Well there was a guy who could play both center and wing...but he was not even invited...

I agree on this line combinations.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This year's team was already weaker than what has been the norm lately. Now they have lost two of their best forwards. And are being "coached" by Helminen....reaching quarters is the ceiling for this team.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Well there was a guy who could play both center and wing...but he was not even invited...

I agree on this line combinations.

I don't know what Oden has shown to get top line minutes. Swap him and Ranta, who was actually doing stuff vs Sweden.

Ranta/Tanus/Puistola and Maccelli/Räty/Räty should give the team as much offensive punch as can be extracted from this roster. Oden/Saarela/Killinen would be the designated grinder line, Erholtz/Petman/Honka an extra energy line, with Honka getting a ton of PP responsibilities.

Reactions: king89

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Lines for todays game, I guess they have some guy who fills up the incomplete third line when they get shifts but otherwise Helminen continuing on the path of weird choices. I would’ve liked to see 1 defenseman to be put as forward but I guess not for now atleast.

Maalilla:

30 Justus Annunen
Varalla:
1 Kari Piiroinen
1:
20 Matias Maccelli – 25 Antti Saarela – 15 Lenni Killinen
29 Kim Nousiainen – 33 Lassi Thomson
2:
21 Patrik Puistola – 27 Kristian Tanus – 18 Joonas Oden
4 Ville Heinola – 3 Anttoni Honka
3:
12 Eemil Erholtz – 23 Ville Petman
9 Toni Utunen – 5 Mikko Kokkonen
4:
35 Aku Räty – 34 Aatu Räty – 24 Sampo Ranta
2 Santeri Hatakka – 6 Peetro Seppälä

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
Lines for todays game, I guess they have some guy who fills up the incomplete third line when they get shifts but otherwise Helminen continuing on the path of weird choices. I would’ve liked to see 1 defenseman to be put as forward but I guess not for now atleast.

Maalilla:

30 Justus Annunen
Varalla:
1 Kari Piiroinen
1:
20 Matias Maccelli – 25 Antti Saarela – 15 Lenni Killinen
29 Kim Nousiainen – 33 Lassi Thomson
2:
21 Patrik Puistola – 27 Kristian Tanus – 18 Joonas Oden
4 Ville Heinola – 3 Anttoni Honka
3:
12 Eemil Erholtz – 23 Ville Petman
9 Toni Utunen – 5 Mikko Kokkonen
4:
35 Aku Räty – 34 Aatu Räty – 24 Sampo Ranta
2 Santeri Hatakka – 6 Peetro Seppälä

So Raipe never had a back up plan in case one of the forwards get injured. I wonder how this line-up is supposed to work. One player of each line will move to the third line or the third line not playing at all?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
So Raipe never had a back up plan in case one of the forwards get injured. I wonder how this line-up is supposed to work. One player of each line will move to the third line or the third line not playing at all?
They could always rotate the RWs on even strength and try to balance things up on special teams.

Anyway, I was astonished that they actually went with 12+8 for the tournament. Not only there is no backup F, but also some of the defensemen were playing quite limited minutes in the opening game. It can be challenging trying to get up to speed doing that.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I just don't get it why they don't use Honka as a forward, he's basically one already. So many weird decisions by Helminen and co. A win against Slovakia would be a relief. I hope for a better performance from Finland, less stupid plays and better defence please.

Reactions: Svedu

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Helminen destroys any hopes immediately after taking up the reigns. Not much of a news. Yet more importantly, they'll offer him the job yet again come next opportunity.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Wow, Raipe seems to dig his own grave when it comes to coaching. In all honesty, his decisions are nothing but unacceptable.

We are missing one forward and there is still healthy forwards at home like Hirvonen, Aaltonen, Nikkanen, Mäntykivi, Kivenmäki, Järventie, Salonen.
Four out of these named players are centers! V*tun Raipe.

It sickens me when thinking that Hirvonen, Nikkanen, Mäntykivi and Kivenmäki would probably all be first centers for the Slovakian, Swiss and perhaps even the Czech or German roster. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Wow, Raipe seems to dig his own grave when it comes to coaching. In all honesty, his decisions are nothing but unacceptable.

We are missing one forward and there is still healthy forwards at home like Hirvonen, Aaltonen, Nikkanen, Mäntykivi, Kivenmäki, Järventie, Salonen.
Four out of these named players are centers! V*tun Raipe.

It sickens me when thinking that Hirvonen, Nikkanen, Mäntykivi and Kivenmäki would probably all be first centers for the Slovakian, Swiss and perhaps even Czech or German roster. Unbelievable.
Probably not for Czechs or Germans. Germany has a good team.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Probably not for Czechs or Germans. Germany has a good team.

Good roster, no doubt. Both of them would probably beat us in the quarters if we face each other. Better coaching.
But Hirvonen and Kivenmäki are Liiga players so i would not underestimate them either.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Good roster, no doubt. Both of them would probably beat us in the quarters if we face each other. Better coaching.
But Hirvonen and Kivenmäki are Liiga players so i would not underestimate them either.
Yeah but I like Stutzle more than either of them.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Yeah but I like Stutzle more than either of them.
Well okay, second center for the best german roster ever at youth levels ;)

No matter what, Hirvonen and Kivenmäki would both be top three centers in Finlands actual roster if we had someone else coaching.

Reactions: FinPanda

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well okay, second center for the best german roster ever at youth levels ;)

No matter what, Hirvonen and Kivenmäki would both be top centers in Finlands actual roster if we had someone else coaching.
Kivenmäki probably would play as a winger anyway. Hirvonen at center though yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->