WJC: Finland 2020 Roster Talk

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I see Honka still sucks. Could've directly cost the team at least 3 goals but he owes Annunen few lunches now. Just a disaster waiting to happen. Thomson isn't much better. He's like Ristolainen-lite. He looks like Jaws from the Bond movies. Probably similar brain activity too. He can slappa da shot and go boom though.

It's a small country with a limited pool of players and when you are missing almost 2 lines of your best offensive weapons from these age groups, it's going to be tough.

Maccelli is a very skilled player though. It's nice to watch him carry the puck confidently. Kinda reminds me of (his possible future teammate) Keller actually.

Reactions: hn777

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
no worries Finland you will win again. Why? Because i hate Finland (in hockey i might add, fantastic people and country ). And universe hates me so you will win. I never want Sweden to loose against you, but i realy want this no losses in group stage to end.

Greeeeaaaat goalie and lots of interesting players. Heard that italian sounding guy all the time.

Reactions: Loffer

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
They're saying Rasmus Kupari is day-to-day but he is not skating with the team today in practice and wasn't at morning workouts.

He did walk in the dressing room post-game.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Am i the only thinking that Anttoni is not as good as his older brother when he played the WJC? Julius could really fly pass opponents and i just can´t see that kind of skating from Anttoni. He´s so nonchalant and sleepy in his own zone and therefor i can't understand the coaches selecting this guy before Rindell, Niemelä and almost even Tuomisto.

I wan´t to see something from Raipe, time to step it up. If Honka is going to be that kind of a liability, then Raipe should pair him with Kokkonen. Someone who takes bigger responsibility defensively. Kokkonen or Utunen.
I really do think you have a bad eye for the game as a coach if you pair Honka or Thomson with Heinola. There will be no balance and it will be obvious in the quarterfinals.

There is just too many questionable selections from Raipe and his staff for me to even believe we have a chance to reach the semifinals, and it doesn't get better when reading Thomson and others saying they were nervous etc. That is often a sign of something, they don´t believe in themselves, each other or the gameplay.

I know this will be a radical opinion in some peoples eyes, but i do believe Lambert would have been ready for a role as winger. He is that good of a skater already and his skill is probably good enough for this tournament.
It´s a shame that Raipe and Kivenmäki clashed because when the depth is somewhat lacking this year, we would of needed someone who has the ability to create and show some finesse.

I mentioned the Honka brothers but what about Saarela? I don´t think Antti is on the same level as his brother Aleksi was when he played the WJC´s. Don´t know if i would have preferred Aaltonen, Nikkanen or Petman before him, depending on if we needed a center or a winger.

Even if Annunen was good i don't think the first and third goal was impossible to grab, quite the opposite. But i don´t want to blame him for anything when you have Honka as a defender and Raipe as a coach.
I really do hope Anttoni steps up his game and proves me wrong because i´m being harsh against him now and i know he is still young, but those who learn from their mistakes will develop and hopefully reach NHL someday. Now it´s up to him to erase these long going question marks.

Tsemppiä jätkille!

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
So basically at this point Finland is playing without 3 best eligible centers. Okay it was clear that Kotkaniemi isn't coming, but Lundell and Kupari out due to injuries. Tell me a country which could handle that without problems?

Now for the love of god Heinola, Honka and captain Thomson needs to step up big time, leave those stupid mistakes and play simple game. And possibly fix those damn skates so they are not falling down in crucial moments.

People here has bashed Raipe a lot, and with a good reason too. I mean can he really prepare these guys well enough? It's not even about the system, it's how well he can prepare them.

Reactions: Svedu

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Chill guys maybe this might be a good turn. The team realised now they have to play their hearts out without the good players. Look at the last Bratislava WC. Anything can happen with only single game.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Chill guys maybe this might be a good turn. The team realised now they have to play their hearts out without the good players. Look at the last Bratislava WC. Anything can happen with only single game.
2019 men's tournament taught it is never about one player but not having Lundell and Kupari feels a big loss.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don't think it helps the players as the problems are with the overall coaching of the team. We don't have any system whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svedu and king89

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Very smart and brilliant idea Raipe to not take 13th forward in the team.
We are so screwed up with these U20 WJC's as ever possible.

Hopefully this idiot coach won't never again be Finland's head coach any international tournament.
Now we have to hope that Annunen gets his godmode going every single game.
If we wanna win something in this tournament.

Hopefully next year Pennanen won't do same terrible decisions
what Raipe did to selecting our U20 WJC team.

Reactions: king89

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, team work team work -- ... this is no time to throw the towel in the ring/k nor gloves on the tiski -- if something this is the time to put those workman's gloves on and start grinding the good old Finnish way again. Silver lining should be focused on, not the cloud blocking the sun. Things may not go your way every time and every night but the fight and effort should be there regardless every time you wear the Lion jersey or play for your team some hockey. Period. Whining is out of craze, we need belief and team, ethics and ethos of winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad