Finding another Goalie for Next year?

How do we address Goaltending need ?

• Total voters

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
I remember last year I pushed hard for the Wings to acquire Fleury from Vegas and whatever pick came with that. Many on this board told me that trading for Fleury was a stupid move because of how washed up he was. Thank god we didnt take that bum.

Ill say it again, I would see if a team like Vegas is willing to trade Fleury with an asset, or a team like Vancouver with Holtby etc. We arent looking to win next year, so taking a vet like that when our cap means nothing is perfect timing.
Trade with Columbus for one of their goalies.

Reactions: kliq

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I remember last year I pushed hard for the Wings to acquire Fleury from Vegas and whatever pick came with that. Many on this board told me that trading for Fleury was a stupid move because of how washed up he was. Thank god we didnt take that bum.

Ill say it again, I would see if a team like Vegas is willing to trade Fleury with an asset, or a team like Vancouver with Holtby etc. We arent looking to win next year, so taking a vet like that when our cap means nothing is perfect timing.

I like the idea of fetching an asset.
But the last thing we need is a veteran goalie to implode on our watch again - while youngsters like Seider and Lindstrom and whoever try figure out their way.
There are going to be affordable, solid options out there.
We should stay under the age of 32, given Greiss is 35 and about to hit the expiration date.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But the last thing we need is a veteran goalie to implode on our watch again - while youngsters like Seider and Lindstrom and whoever try figure out their way.
We should stay under the age of 32, given Greiss is 35 and about to hit the expiration date.
So Stevie trades for a cheap young goalie and you still don't like it?

Looks like everyone got the poll wrong. Stevie with another surprise move. I like this one, much better than the Leddy trade. Then again, I probably would have been happy giving Isles a 3rd for Leddy and the Canes a 2nd for Ned. Evens out I guess.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So Stevie trades for a cheap young goalie and you still don't like it?

Looks like everyone got the poll wrong. Stevie with another surprise move. I like this one, much better than the Leddy trade. Then again, I probably would have been happy giving Isles a 3rd for Leddy and the Canes a 2nd for Ned. Evens out I guess.

I'm fine with the deal.
It's not a "f***ing larceny"

You can approve of a deal without being a lunatic about it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm fine with the deal.
It's not a "f***ing larceny"

You can approve of a deal without being a lunatic about it.
What would you have placed the fair value of the trade as if someone had proposed it?

I would have gone 2nd rounder easily. Maybe not larceny, but a pretty good deal.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What would you have placed the fair value of the trade as if someone had proposed it?

I would have gone 2nd rounder easily. Maybe not larceny, but a pretty good deal.

I don't know.
But I'm fine with a 3rd.
But you also can't ignore this guy went through waivers 6 months ago or whatever.
Is he better than Bernier?
I don't know. That's a stretch. We're gonna see what Ned is made of behind this defense.
If Ned sucks? Oh well. We still have Greiss.

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know.
But I'm fine with a 3rd.
But you also can't ignore this guy went through waivers 6 months ago or whatever.
I don't know. That's a stretch. We're gonna see what Ned is made of behind this defense.
I doubt he's better than Bernie, but Bernie wanted out. This move is a heck of a lot better than overpaying for an older goalie that could be the next Jimmy Howard. At least it looks good on paper, much more so than the Leddy deal.

Keep in mind that the defense is already better than last season with Seider and Leddy. If Stevie picks up a decent LHD in free agency and a 7D from Seattle, it won't be the league's worst any more.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
I don't know.
But I'm fine with a 3rd.

UFA-Hronek
Leddy-Seider
DDK-Lindstrom

Looks a whole lot better than what we were running with last year.. I don't love that bottom pairing, and we're not getting a top pair LD in FA, but if we have 3 proven top 4 D on the roster, plus one kid who has all the makings of a top 4 D we're already ahead of where we were last year..

Reactions: jkutswings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I doubt he's better than Bernie, but Bernie wanted out. This move is a heck of a lot better than overpaying for an older goalie that could be the next Jimmy Howard. At least it looks good on paper, much more so than the Leddy deal.

Keep in mind that the defense is already better than last season with Seider and Leddy. If Stevie picks up a decent LHD in free agency and a 7D from Seattle, it won't be the league's worst any more.

I'm not seeing this defense as better until I see it as better, you know?
Leddy got torn to pieces in a big role for a better team than this.
And Seider has zero NHL games to his name.
Bernie was too young to go Jimmy Howard caputz.

But Iook, I get the thinking here.
Ned could be a solid 1A, 1B or even 2 to Greiss, and if he has a solid 3-4 years here, that's probably worth a third rounder.
If he's a starter till he's 32 or whatever - even better. But I wouldn't bet on that.
I don't see Ned being worse than a backup - though stranger things have happened.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bernie was too young to go Jimmy Howard caputz.
I meant the other UFAs available this offseason, not Bernie.

Bernie said he wasn't re-signing. Stevie made the deal knowing that ship had sailed.

This trade was easily worth a 2nd rd pick. Grubauer cost the Avs a 2nd and a cap dump (Orpik).

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
I cannot believe people are still talking about a goalie, especially after the fleecing SY did earlier today.

let’s worry about a goalie once we have a top six that can score at an above the league average, then worry about a goalie.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

If we traded for a guy like Holtby, even if he sucked, we can always just play Griess more. With that said, I wrote that before seeing the trade, I would much rather do what he did then acquire a vet.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
We needed to replace Bernier (and Greiss) in order to rebuild, and if you were ever going to get something for Bernier, this is kind of now or never because of his age. So I applaud Stevie for finding this opportunity. Also, Nedeljkovic's one we don't have to draft and develop, so this puts us ahead in rebuilding. Therefore, I also conclude that Stevie must think very highly of Alex, because he was otherwise committed to rebuilding through the draft.

Of course, we still have to keep drafting goalies, but Nedeljkovic could be that franchise goalie we need - he could mean long-term stability. If you aren't convinced by him yet, hey, it's only a two-year contract. If it doesn't work out, I think you have to remember that the money was not going to be used on another big UFA this season. The only reason this happened now was because it involved getting Nedeljkovic for an ageing guy and a third - a special circumstance.

As for the draft... Well, we all know how much rebuilding our goaltending means. I didn't think Yzerman would draft Wallstedt even so, and after this, I'm not even sure he would risk a first-rounder later on Cossa. I know some of us even wanted Stevie to use all of our first-rounders on goalies, but I think we now have to see what Alex is like before we can justify risking a second round pick on a goalie let alone a first.

Last edited:

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Well, look. You're convinced that Carolina's GM is just a crackhead or something.

I wouldn’t say a “crackhead”.

The owner seems to be too involved with the team and they are under the premise that any goalie can put up those numbers behind their amazing defence.

If you actually watched any Canes games last season (and I’m sure their fans will agree on it) there are many times where Ned won them games making highlight reel saves.

I have a lot of unhappy friends in Carolina because they just lost the goalie they thought was going to be their future #1 for many years to come.

Reactions: Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad