• Vegas Golden Knights

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
This thread will be used to vote and debate on the finals for the Super Team Tournament. Have at it!

FINALS

Toronto Maple Leafs - @hockeynorth
vs
Vegas Golden Knights - @AveryStar4Eva

:leafs

Svechnikov - Malkin - Rust
Gaudreau - Karlsson - Bjorkstrand
Parise - Hischier - Hornqvist
Mangiapane - Henrique - D. Brown

Josi - McAvoy
Theodore - Fox
Dunn - E. Johnson

Hellebuyck
Crawford

VS

full

Ehlers - Scheifele - R. Smith
Kreider - O'Rielly - Pavelski
Bertuzzi - Duchene - Josh Bailey
Beauvillier - Coyle - C. Smith

Hedman - S. Weber
Schmidt - Niskanen
Skjei - Manson

Vasilevskiy
Khudobin

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
:leafsvs:vegas
In this matchup we see Toronto, having vanquished multiple extremely difficult opponents against Vegas.

Ottawa: GONE
Colorado: GONE
Los Angeles: GONE

Why Toronto has the edge:
- Better elite talent up front
- Better depth at forward and d
- Elite defence
- Better goaltending

L1 vs L1: This time Toronto has a clear edge with their first line, running playoff beast Malkin with his dynamic Russian accomplice Andrei Svechnikov, and ppg winger Brian Rust, all three players are better than Vegas' respective 3 in the same positions. Torontos top line would likely dominate Vegas' in this matchup

L2 vs L2: In large part we're looking at two different builds for the second lines, while Vegas' may play a heavier style, I illustrated in the last matchup the dominating season Bjorkstrand had, turning into an elite trigger man, accompanied with puck wizard Gaudreau there's more offensive flair on Torontos second line, with a great 2way centre in his own right in Karlsson. In large part you have to ask just how much of the load O'Rielly can carry here.

L3 vs L3: Torontos third line can play great two way hockey while having some high IQ players, and great scoring depth with 1st line scorer Parise playing on it. You know you can expect Torontos third line to play a heavy, smart, scoring style.

L4 vs L4: While I really like Charlie Coyle, Adam Henrique is able to play that little bit higher in the lineup, and while the contract isn't pleasant Dustin Brown still plays high level hockey, producing at a great rate. Accompanied with Mangiapane's elite speed Torontos 4th line is just able to play against better competition, and succeed.

D1 vs D1: Oh the elite blueline matchup. I know well what's coming, "Shea Weber is a beast" yeah well first off, McAvoy had near identical ppg, while having more hits and blocks, less giveaways and more take aways all in only 2 more games. Shea Weber is ageing people. Pair this with Josis 10 more points than Hedman in 2 more games (all at even strength), Hedman had near identical advanced stats on a worse team than Hedman too and we all know he played Norris level hockey this season, Josi has blossomed, it's time to take note.

D2 vs D2: Two highest scoring D here? In Toronto. And Shea Theodore played at a Norris level this season, neither of Vegas' guys did that. "Offensive defence man" Adam Fox leads this whole matchup in blocks and takeaways. PTS/60, Fox then Theodore, anyone saying Schmidt was more important to Vegas, he got shelled relative to the rest of Vegas while Theodore dominated Corsi and Fenwick, and Fox was unbelievable relative to the rest of New York. Torontos top pair played dominant hockey in 2019-2020 while Vegas' was simply mediocre in comparison.

D3 vs D3: Just to be clear, Josh Manson hasn't been great in a while and only had 9 points this year. Manson and Skjei both had abysmal Corsi and Fenwick this year too. Dunn is the best defenceman here, after that if you want to ignore fancies maybe you could say Skjei but after that Johnson is far ahead, but with fancies both Torontos D blows Vegas' out of the water.

G: Two amazing goalies and I wouldn't fault you for either, but simply put Hellebuyck played Vezina/MVP hockey this year on a worse team than Vasi did, and has shown he can win on his own, or carry a team so for that you should pick Toronto.

Overall: Vegas has had an easier path, Toronto has knocked off two arguably top 3 teams, and shown to be deeper, have the better elite talent, have an MVP goalie and some of the most productive players at all positions this year and for these reasons you can see Toronto is the better team in this matchup.

Vote Toronto to take the championship!!!!! We all know they're the top team by now.

:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs:leafs

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Toronto has a better top line but Vegas has a better bottom 9 in my opinion, Vegas has the better top pair but Toronto has the better bottom 4. Goalies are a wash. Very close match-up in my eyes. Still deciding but I think I'm leaning towards Vegas here. Toronto's top line is good but if anyone can shut them down it is Hedman-Weber.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

- Better top line
- Better 2nd pairing
- Better backup goalie

:vegas

- Better 3rd line (barely)
- Better 4th line
- Better top pairing
- Better bottom pairing
- Better starting goalie

I prefer Toronto's top end talent on offence, but Vegas's depth makes their offensive groups pretty even. Their superior star power on defence and slightly better goaltending will make me vote for Vegas, but this is extremely close.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I have to go Toronto here. Far and away better top end talent. I’m not sure Schmidt and Niskanen could stand up to the relentlessness offense that is Toronto’s 2 and 3 lines.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

- Better top line
- Better 2nd pairing
- Better backup goalie

:vegas

- Better 3rd line (barely) could go either way
- Better 4th line could go either way
- Better top pairing Disagree but barely
- Better bottom pairing I can see this
- Better starting goalie disagree

I prefer Toronto's top end talent on offence, but Vegas's depth makes their offensive groups pretty even. Their superior star power on defence and slightly better goaltending will make me vote for Vegas, but this is extremely close.
Toronto's top pair did better this season then there's, and Hellebuyck was the better goalie this year too... and again Crawford had the same sv% as Vasi on a worse team

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I can paint the pictures with numbers if you guys want like I did about Bjorkstrand, lots of my players are really under appreciated but had amazing years. Going to be honest I could see myself losing to LA or Colorado easier than this matchup.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
LW: Toronto
C: Vegas
RW: even
LD: Toronto, feel the D depth is the biggest gap
RD: Toronto
G: feel like it's Toronto but I can see why people say even so even

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
I can paint the pictures with numbers if you guys want like I did about Bjorkstrand, lots of my players are really under appreciated but had amazing years. Going to be honest I could see myself losing to LA or Colorado easier than this matchup.

I don't base my opinions of players solely off this year.

That said, I went with Toronto by a tad here.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't base my opinions of players solely off this year.

That said, I went with Toronto by a tad here.
That's fair but even past this year I'd take Toronto, some of his players are just really declining.

I'm going to release my top 5:
  1. Toronto
  2. LA
  3. Colorado
  4. Columbus
  5. Vegas

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
In my honest opinion I felt like I had the best team, but I guess everyone feels like that haha.
I had a tossup between you and I and changed it several times, it was my first tier, Colorado/Columbus my 2nd tier and then another tier after that that had Vegas/Dallas/Montreal

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m not going to get into a long drawn out breakdown just a few smaller points.

- Vegas has a much stronger two way team. While Toronto has some good two way players that second line would get hemmed in the defencive zone.

- Vegas is far more physical. Remember that this is a seven game series and both teams have already played three series. I see this going to way of the bruins vs canucks.

- Vegas has proven players. Many of the players on Toronto had strong years; Bjorkstrand, Rust, Svechnikov, Fox, Theodore. Is this the norm for them? Or did they strictly have a strong 70 games and will fall back to reality come playoff.

Reactions: Makaveli

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I think Vegas has Toronto beat here. Both have strong goaltending that can win the Vezina on any given year. Both have strong defense, but Vegas has better offense in my eyes.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I’m not going to get into a long drawn out breakdown just a few smaller points.

- Vegas has a much stronger two way team. While Toronto has some good two way players that second line would get hemmed in the defencive zone. That's true, your 2nd line is better defensively but Bjork/Karlsson are competent, my 3rd/4th are better defensively though, and my D is more two way as opposed to just D based, I already beat a much strong defensive team

- Vegas is far more physical. Remember that this is a seven game series and both teams have already played three series. I see this going to way of the bruins vs canucks. I have the 1/2/4 guys for hits on our 1st lines, 3/4 on 2nd lines, 2/4 for 3rd lines, 1/4/5 for 4th, 1 (McAvoy)/4 for 1st pairs, 2nd/4th for 2nd pairs, and 3/4 for 3rd pairs, it's not that big a gap at all

- Vegas has proven players. Many of the players on Toronto had strong years; Bjorkstrand, Rust, Svechnikov, Fox, Theodore. Is this the norm for them? Or did they strictly have a strong 70 games and will fall back to reality come playoff. Underlyings would show its the norm, also your guys trend down(age) my guys trend up(age)
I bolded some other points. Quite frankly if it's about D or physicality I should've lost to Colorado

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think Vegas has Toronto beat here. Both have strong goaltending that can win the Vezina on any given year. Both have strong defense, but Vegas has better offense in my eyes.
And that's your opinion and totally respectable! Thanks for providing your input on the matchup, it's much more fun that way. To be honest this is one of the first matchups where I prefer my offence's elite guys

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Ah man someone switched to vegas, Toronto might be in some trouble. This is surprising me

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Ouuu close again, whoever switched to Vegas should switch back, here comes the leafs!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think someone keeps going back and fourth to screw with us :laugh:
Hahaha I haven't seen anyone flip in a while, if one flips off you it's 7-7 and a draw. Regardless of what happens this was super fun

I'm putting this out there now... if Joeys category draft can't get off the ground, or after it's done I'm going to run a rebuilder draft, probably 16 GMs. It'll be drafting for the best team in either 3 or five years from now or a window (haven't decided yet)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad