Finally, my 06 mock draft

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1. St Louis - Erik Johnson
Showed at the WJC that he is the consensus #1 overall pick. This 6'4'' behemoth is one of the smoothest defenceman I have ever seen, 18 years old regardless. The Blues won't waste this pick.

2. Pittsburgh - Jonathan Toews
The Penguins have a tough decision to make here, but opt for the well-rounded Canadian in hopes that he can play left wing to compliment Crosby or Malkin.

3. Chicago - Phil Kessel
Easily the most talented forward in the draft with the most potential, the Blackhawks haven't had a player like Kessel in their system for quite some time.

4. Washington - Nicklas Backstrom
Again, not an easy decision here for the Caps brass. Backstrom is NHL ready and would make a good playmaker for Mr.Ovechkin.

5. Boston - Peter Mueller
The 6'3'' centre has leadership ability and can finish plays as well as he sets them up. The one knock on Mueller is he isn't as physical as could be, but his combination of size and skill is too much to pass up.

6. Columbus - Jordan Staal
Doug Maclean will waste no time here. Even though Staal is said to be riding his brothers name (his lackluster performance at the Memorial cup won't help his stock) he is a steady 2 way player with loads of size.

7. NYI - Kyle Okposo
Not massive, standing only 6 feet tall, but he plays like a powerforwrd and has soft hands. The best player available at this point will be scooped up by Long Island.

8. Phoenix - Derrick Brassard
One of the best pure offensive players in the draft, probably the best after Kessel. Gretzky and co. will realize this.

9. Minnesota - Nigel Williams
Minnesota has outstanding prospects at forward, but not much on defence. Williams is a 6'5 giant that is smooth on his skates.

10. Florida - Michael Frolik
Once considered a top 2 pick, merely a year ago, his stock has dropped a bit. He's the wildcard of the draft IMO, but his talent level won't be passed up out of the top 10.

11. Los Angeles - Ty Wishart
Another of the big defenceman in this draft, Wishart stands 6'5 as well and has an offensive game yet to be polished.

12. Atlanta - Jiri Tlusty
A reletive unknown until some 7/8 months ago, Tlusyt reminds people of Martin Havlat and Marian Hossa, the type of player Atlanta covets.

13. Toronto - Bryan Little
The only reason he won't go higher than here at Toronto is he stands only 5'10. Size is not an issue though, Little is not small at 190 pounds, and he's one of the best offensive players available.

14. Vancouver - James Sheppard
Dave Nonis has made it clear the Canucks are taking a forward with this pick. Sheppard is the BPA here regardless.

15. Tampa Bay - Chris Stewart
Anthony's little brother is pretty much an Anthony clone. The bolts will take the 225 pound winger and hope he can anchor one of their top 2 lines soon.

16. Montreal Canadiens - Bobby Sagunietti
The Habs will have a number of defenceman they're looking at, and are glad that Sagunietti lasts until 16. They'll scoop him up here.

17. Minnesota - Ben Maxwell
Already with a stud in Williams, the Wild may suprise some people by taking the centre out of Kootenay. Maxwell is a scorer, pure and simple, and his stock has rised considerably after his playoff and U-18 performances.

18. Colorado - Jonathan Bernier
The Avs are satisfied with Theodore as their goalie, but lets face it Jose has showed to be a bit of a mental case. Bernier is worth the #18 pick as well.

19. Anaheim - Ivan Vishnevsky
A team with a great crop of young forwards, after Ladislav Smid and Brendan Mikkelson there isn't much on their blueline. Vishnevsky is an all-arouind performer.

20. San Jose - Brian Strait
Another team thin on the blueline, stacked up front. The Sharks will persue a defenceman and look at Strait as the best available.

21. New York Rangers - Mike Forney
The Rangers are a very good organization when it comes to drafting, and will realize that Forney is the BPA at this point.

22. Philadelphia - Michael Grabner
The Flyers lack players that are right handed who can score, other than Carter. Grabner fits the bill, and boy, can he ever score.

23. Washington - Chris Summers
Well, here's another team that could use some help on the back-end. Much like Pokuluk, the Capitals will hope that Summers can be an NHL regular some day.

24. Buffalo - Joey Ryan
As we saw these playoss, Buffalo is thin on the blueline after their veterans as well. Ryan isn't the BPA at this point, but the Sabres will take a chance on the Memorial cup winner.

25. New Jersey - Patrick Berglund
What is it about the Devils? They're about as good as it gets at this business, they'll land another sleeper star player in Berglund.

26. Calgary Flames - Cory Emmerton
Looking to add some talent up front, mainly down the middle, Sutter will be happy to see Emmerton still on the board at this point.

27. Dallas - Eric Gryba
Not overly huge, but tough as nails. Dallas likes these defenceman, this pick is similar to Marc Fitric, whom they took 2 years ago.

28. Ottawa - Riku Helenius
The Senators are happy with the potential of Ray Emery, but you can't have too much depth in goal. Helenius has first round pick skills.

29. Detroit - Ryan White
A solid player in his own end, White doesn't have muhc potential to be a scorer in the bigs, but he could be a good role player with the wings.

30. St.Louis - Cal Clutterbuck
The ultimate ''grinder'' of the draft will finish off the first round.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I agree entirely that Frolik will not fall from the top 10... as a matter of fact, I believe a lot of his falling to be attributed merely to what us "outsiders" think... so much so that I wouldn't be ENTIRELY shocked to see him go in the top 6. I'm not going to be one of the morons that says there is no way the Penguins will take Toews; I only want to say that I would rather them take one of the others. It's obviously not by any means far-fetched, and I just wanna say nice mock :)

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
One of the better 1-8 mocks I've seen, but then I had to stop reading a/ pick #9. But I guess it all depends on whether you're a big Williams guy or not. MIN does need an elite d-man, but unless EJ falls to 9, there's not going to be a solution. And there shouldn't be an attempt at one w/ that pick. I'd be okay w/ Maxwell at #17.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Yeah, I really don't know about that one either, but I think Minnesota is looking defence with that pick - Williams seems to have an attractive package IMO.

Most likely we'll pick up a defenseman with our second pick. We're sorely lacking a center.

Idaho_Potato

Jun 19, 2006
Idaho
just one problem,

with the avs pick i think they'll pick a d-man instead of a goalie as they really need more help in that area than goalie postiton

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
My knock is on the Staal pick... both in terms of how low he's going and how it's justified (he was very good in the playoffs and Mem Cup, IMO, relative to his usual level of play anyway). Whether I agree with him going that high or not, it sure sounds like he's almost sure-fire top-3 these days, from a mock perspective. Who would really take Mueller ahead of him? :dunno:

Vic Rattlehead*

Blind Gardien said:
My knock is on the Staal pick... both in terms of how low he's going and how it's justified (he was very good in the playoffs and Mem Cup, IMO, relative to his usual level of play anyway). Whether I agree with him going that high or not, it sure sounds like he's almost sure-fire top-3 these days, from a mock perspective. Who would really take Mueller ahead of him? :dunno:

Certainly Boston shouldn't, and most probably wouldn't.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
21. New York Rangers - Mike Forney
The Rangers are a very good organization when it comes to drafting, and will realize that Forney is the BPA at this point.

They may take Forney but as a Ranger fan I can't agree with your comment about them being very good at the draft. Maybe they have recently but alot of the good recent picks have yet to play in the NHL. It remains to be seen. I'd like Berglund if the draft fell this way.

Whynks

Dec 8, 2005
Pretty good mock draft. I was wondering, would other Flyers fans be happy if we got Grabner with our first rounder?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->