Final Top 50 OHL Prospects for the 2020 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
What a crazy year this has been so far. The covid-19 pandemic has caused chaos in the scouting world (and obviously the everyday world) because so many important late season events were canceled (U18's, OHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, Draft Combine, etc). The draft WILL occur at some point, and as such it is time to look at my year end rankings. It will be interesting to look back on this ranking in a few years, more so than usual, to see the effects of the shutdown on our ability to evaluate.

Just for clarification, for my top 50 ranking, I haven't included any players eligible for draft re-entry, such as Nico Daws, Yevgeni Oksentyuk, or Pavel Gogolev. This has been consistent all the way through my lists. Instead, I did a list of the top 10 draft re-entries, which can be found here.

Also for clarification, this list is MY list of the top 50 OHL prospects, as if I were drafting for my own team. In other words, this isn't a list of where I THINK or believe players will go, but a ranking of my own opinion on the top players eligible for this draft based on my viewings this season.

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 1: Honorable Mentions

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 2: 31-50

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

1. Quinton Byfield
  2. Jamie Drysdale
  3. Marco Rossi
  4. Cole Perfetti
  5. Jack Quinn
  6. Jan Mysak
  7. Ryan O’Rourke
  8. Martin Chromiak
  9. Jacob Perreault
  10. Tyson Foerster
  11. Will Cuylle
  12. Jean Luc Foudy
  13. Luke Evangelista
  14. Evan Vierling
  15. Brandon Coe
  16. Ty Tullio
  17. Donovan Sebrango
  18. Zayde Wisdom
  19. Jack Thompson
  20. Oliver Suni
  21. Jaromir Pytlik
  22. Antonio Stranges
  23. James Hardie
  24. Nick Malik
  25. Ruben Rafkin
  26. Ethan Cardwell
  27. Will Cranley
  28. Declan McDonnell
  29. Isaak Phillips
  30. Andrei Bakanov
  31. Mitchell Smith
  32. Cameron Tolnai
  33. Reid Valade
  34. Tanner Dickinson
  35. Rory Kerins
  36. Hayden Fowler
  37. Logan Morrison
  38. Cameron Butler
  39. Riley Piercey
  40. Jake Uberti
  41. Vitali Pinchuk
  42. Olle Bjorgvik Holm
  43. Lleyton Moore
  44. Jacob Murray
  45. Ville Ottavainen
  46. Tucker Tynan
  47. Kirill Steklov
  48. Brett Brochu
  49. Alec Belanger
  50. Mark Woolley
Here's an example of a few of the write ups:

1. Quinton Byfield - Center - Sudbury Wolves
I admit, part of me wanted to put Drysdale at #1. I was close. However, at the end of the day, I still think that Byfield's high end potential keeps him on top. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't impressed with Byfield's play in the second half. I'm not talking about the World Juniors either, I could care less about his performance there. I'm talking about some of the turnovers that he was more prone to post World Juniors in Sudbury. I found him less deliberate with the puck, and less aggressive in using his size to drive through traffic to draw in defenders. However, I do think that a lot of this had to do with decreased confidence coming back from the World Juniors. I also wonder if he may have been nursing an injury. Look, Byfield is far from a perfect prospect, not something you always utter about a kid who looks like a lock for the top 3. So I do actually understand why some have become skeptical of him. Some of the issues he had with turnovers and processing in transition were the same ones he had at times as a minor midget player. His shot and confidence in using his size to create shooting lanes will need to improve. He needs to do a better job of driving the net, with and without the puck, more consistently. I would love to see him dominate near the crease, getting himself more "easy" goals. All of that said, it's important to remember that if you're drafting Byfield, you're drafting him for the player that he's going to be in five years, not right now. I don't think he's NHL ready and being back in Sudbury would be great for him next year, so that he can learn to dominate consistently against his peers. And dominant he can. Few players come through the junior ranks who possess the combination of size, power, and skill that Byfield possesses. When playing down low, he can control possession for nearly entire shifts, by using his size to protect the puck, and his sharp edgework to keep defenders guessing. And while his decision making can sometimes frustrate (I find this more likely to occur in transition, or on odd man rushes), he actually does have good vision when the game slows down for him. His ability to work the give and go is particularly impressive and effective. Byfield is also a better defensive player than people give him credit for IMO. He shows understanding of his responsibilities down the middle by covering for pinching defenders and hustling back to provide back pressure. As he becomes more assertive physically, I think his effectiveness will improve as a defensive player. I think if we're asking Byfield to develop into a physical beast (like say, an Eric Lindros), we're asking too much of him. He's not that kind of player. However, he is an August birthday, so it's scary to think that he could still mature further physically. At the end of the day, Byfield's ceiling as a dominant first line center is too much to look past. Even at the low end of his ceiling is a power winger who can still play in your top 6, so the floor is quite high too.

2. Jamie Drysdale - Defense - Erie Otters
As mentioned, I really did think long and hard about putting Drysdale at number one. I have the highest opinion of him. He is my favourite defensive prospect to be draft eligible from the OHL since Drew Doughty (and that's saying a lot). He is the absolute perfect defender for today's NHL because of his elite mobility and high IQ. His skating ability is breathtaking. Just so effortless, yet so explosive. Teams have such a difficult time pinning down Drysdale in his own end when he's on the ice because of how well he handles dump ins. He's so efficient switching from backward to forward stride and he takes terrific routes to the puck, allowing him to keep forecheckers on his back as he skates away to start the breakout. Drysdale is also so difficult to get around because of his mobility. He has such an effective stick when defending one on one. However, attackers in transition can exploit his passiveness at times. His confidence in being a little more physically assertive will need to improve to defend at the NHL level. He'll never be a physical player. But another year in the OHL is needed so that he can become a little more effective in net front coverage. Offensively, Drysdale is just so efficient. His head is always up leaving his own zone and he makes great decisions on when to push deep and when not to. He is starting to realize how much of an advantage his skating ability gives him because he can be more aggressive jumping up in the play, but still have the speed to recover defensively. While he does not possess an elite shot, Drysdale is very good at opening up shooting lanes with his lateral mobility. He will step into the slot when he sees an opening, using a low hard wrist shot to beat goaltenders or generate rebounds. Bottom line is that Drysdale projects as the type of defender who can play in any situation at the NHL level, and eat up a ton of minutes. I could easily see him winning a Norris or two. And even if his offensive skill set (or defensive abilities) don't translate at an elite level, I think his floor is still that of a quality second pairing puck mover. Did I also mention that he's a coveted right shot defender?

3. Marco Rossi - Center - Ottawa 67's
For me, the players ranked 3 through 5 here (Rossi, Perfetti, and Quinn) are all pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them drafted in any combination of order, be it even Quinn first (he's got a way higher standing with NHL scouts than some internet scouts want to believe). This is a Marco Rossi write up though, so let's talk about him. IMO, Rossi is the best two-way forward in the entire OHL. When the puck isn't on his stick, he is just so hungry to get it back and he plays with such a high intensity level. He pushes hard to apply back pressure and uses a strong lower body and a quick stick to force turnovers. As an offensive player, Rossi is just so well rounded. His skating improved a lot this year, especially his top gear, and this made him a way more effective player in transition. He can push the pace, but has the puck skill, creativity, and poise to make calculated decisions even when pressured. His identification of passing lanes is at an elite level. Rossi can also beat you from below the goal line. He often requires two defenders to separate him from the puck in the cycle, despite being only 5'9, and that's because he has such a strong base and always keeps his feet moving. But Rossi also has eyes in the back of his head, showing such great awareness of when to spin off a check to find that streaking linemate. Rossi also has a great release and navigates the slot extremely well with the timing of a high end goal scorer. I will admit, last year I just wasn't as high on Rossi because I didn't feel like he had the creativity or skating ability to be a top 6 center. But man, did he prove me wrong this year by improving so much. The one concern that I do see is his size and whether he'll remain effective down the middle at the next level. He's as strong as an ox, but it's certainly not impossible that he will need to move to the wing to be a more successful and durable two-way presence. I think he can stick down the middle, but I have heard and understand the concerns.

4. Cole Perfetti - Left Wing/Center - Saginaw Spirit
Sometimes I feel like Perfetti is the forgotten man in this draft class. To a certain degree, a lot of that had to do with a perceived slow start (even though if you had watched him in the opening month, you would know that he was just snake bitten). However, Perfetti had a hell of a year and is a hell of an offensive player. One thing that Perfetti really improved this year was his ability to facilitate. In his rookie season, he was more of a goal scorer and at times I found him to be a little too complacent; waiting for the game to come to him. This year, he had way more of a take the bull by the horns approach by driving the play and allowing Saginaw's offense to flow through him and his ability to create. His 33 even strength primary assists led the entire CHL this year (ahead of Alexis Lafreniere) and are a testament to that. His hands are elite. His IQ is elite. He's not big (5'10), but he is elusive. His four way mobility and agility are quite good and when you combine this with his vision and creativity, you get a player who is difficult to separate from the puck when he works the half wall area. Much has been made about his lack of explosiveness and top speed. These are legitimate concerns. Skating can certainly be improved, but Perfetti is not likely to ever be a high end forward mover. However, he thinks the game so well and I think that truly does make up for it. Once inside the offensive zone, lateral quickness and agility are more important than pure speed and Perfetti has that. These skating concerns remind me of the way people picked apart Mitch Marner's stride in his draft year. Like Marco Rossi, Perfetti is just such a well rounded offensive player. He really can do it all in the offensive end. Where Rossi is ahead, is in the defensive end. Perfetti is not a poor defensive player. He does have a good stick which is a by product of his IQ. But he's not likely to ever be a high end defensive player, so his value will come in the offensive end. Additionally, Perfetti is a winger at the NHL level for me. This is why I've got Rossi slightly ahead, but I'd be lying if I didn't flip flop them a couple times. The two of them are slam dunk top 10 prospects for me.

Check the links for full write ups on the entire top 50 in addition to 22 HM's.

As always, happy to answer any questions you may have.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks as always.

Do you think this a weak or a strong OHL class? In the past 4 years there's been anywhere from 25 (2019) to 42 (2017) OHL players taken - how many of these guys do you see getting picked? I'm mostly wondering if you see any way either of the Fronts guys you've got in the 40s (Pinchuk/Murray) hear their name called, because my gut instinct is there's absolutely no way.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
The one that stood out to me most is Perreault. He definitely has more to work on than some, but I think his pure upside still has me taking him over 6-8 rather easily.

Cuylle also was higher than I expected. Just didn't think he had the upside to be ranked ahead of many of the other guys following him (especially Foudy)

And although you seem high on Wisdom in your write up, I was hoping to see him a little higher in the rankings. I really love his game. More than the guys ranked ahead of him in that 13-17 group.

Great work as always, Brock.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Fantastic read. Some very interesting debates happening with OHL prospects perfectly captured here - is Byfield really the best player out of the OHL? Is Drysdale a better prospect? Should Perfetti or Rossi go first? Thanks, Brock.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There's a lot to digest here Mr. Brock and you did wonderful work. Now I am not going to call myself an OHL expert by any means, but this my personal thoughts based upon your final list.

- Drysdale is pretty overrated by the OHLers here. This isn't to classify as a bad defender because I suggest he's most opposite of that, but I don't see #1 ability in him. He's going to be as consistent as a defender can be, but to me that doesn't really determine high-end dynamic ability.

- Perreault is a lot better than a lot of the players you have over him, he has one of the highest even-strength point percentage of any player in this draft and that's quite indicative in how productive he is when there is an even playing field.

- Coe is probably ten spots too high for me, perhaps you can delve a bit deeper in how you see him projecting in the future? I would easily draft Tullio over him, he's this years Joey Hishon and I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

- Phillips is much better than simply 29th overall, which is around like a 5-6th round pick even if his game is raw. You probably know I am a big fan of him, but he's easily worth the risk in being higher up the board. Likewise with Holm, he has all the tools to be much more projectable than a lot of the players you have him.

- If Tynan was 6'2", he would be the best goaler for the OHL easily. I think you're undervaluing his skillset here, but I also admit that goalers are a shot in the dark and he suffered a major injury so I won't argue too hard here.

- Hard to disagree with anything you say about Stranges and Wong. Both have top calibre talent, but some red flags really keep them in the iffy category. Stranges reminds me a lot of Bobby Ryan in both his strengths and weaknesses concerning his game, whereas Wong is great at everything until he has a scoring chance and his weaknesses like average skating and weak frame prevents him on capitalising on the chances he makes.

- Foudy I think is a product of overscouting, he has issues like how high his offensive talent is, but there is still a lot to like here. Hard to say where he goes because you mentioned he's very polarising, but he's still a top 60 player and that's better than a lot of the hockey world.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks as always.

Do you think this a weak or a strong OHL class? In the past 4 years there's been anywhere from 25 (2019) to 42 (2017) OHL players taken - how many of these guys do you see getting picked? I'm mostly wondering if you see any way either of the Fronts guys you've got in the 40s (Pinchuk/Murray) hear their name called, because my gut instinct is there's absolutely no way.

I think it's an extremely strong draft crop for the OHL; on paper one of the best in this new millennium.

I would say that this group should have 40+ draft selections. Maybe 35 or so from my top 50 (and HM's) and 5 or so re-entry (second/third year eligible) players.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
The one that stood out to me most is Perreault. He definitely has more to work on than some, but I think his pure upside still has me taking him over 6-8 rather easily.

Cuylle also was higher than I expected. Just didn't think he had the upside to be ranked ahead of many of the other guys following him (especially Foudy)

And although you seem high on Wisdom in your write up, I was hoping to see him a little higher in the rankings. I really love his game. More than the guys ranked ahead of him in that 13-17 group.

Great work as always, Brock.

I do love Wisdom. I kept moving him up my list all season long. I suppose at the end of the day, I felt like his likely potential keeps him in that late 2nd/early 3rd range, where as some of the guys I ranked ahead of him probably have a chance to play higher roles.

Cuylle, I'm a fan of the way he plays. I don't think Windsor utilized his skill set well this year. Yes, he does need to improve, but as I mentioned, power forwards take longer to develop as they learn to balance how to play without the puck. I think his goal scoring potential is quite high.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I do love Wisdom. I kept moving him up my list all season long. I suppose at the end of the day, I felt like his likely potential keeps him in that late 2nd/early 3rd range, where as some of the guys I ranked ahead of him probably have a chance to play higher roles.

Cuylle, I'm a fan of the way he plays. I don't think Windsor utilized his skill set well this year. Yes, he does need to improve, but as I mentioned, power forwards take longer to develop as they learn to balance how to play without the puck. I think his goal scoring potential is quite high.

I've heard it suggested elsewhere (scouching?) that Foudy would have a lot more assists and be considered a 1st round talent if he had a better scorer to pass to (implicating Cuylle). I personally really like Foudy but can't judge Cuylle. I'm just surprised you have them close. You very could be the right one about that, I'm just making the observation.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
There's a lot to digest here Mr. Brock and you did wonderful work. Now I am not going to call myself an OHL expert by any means, but this my personal thoughts based upon your final list.

- Drysdale is pretty overrated by the OHLers here. This isn't to classify as a bad defender because I suggest he's most opposite of that, but I don't see #1 ability in him. He's going to be as consistent as a defender can be, but to me that doesn't really determine high-end dynamic ability.

- Perreault is a lot better than a lot of the players you have over him, he has one of the highest even-strength point percentage of any player in this draft and that's quite indicative in how productive he is when there is an even playing field.

- Coe is probably ten spots too high for me, perhaps you can delve a bit deeper in how you see him projecting in the future? I would easily draft Tullio over him, he's this years Joey Hishon and I don't mean that in a bad way at all.

- Phillips is much better than simply 29th overall, which is around like a 5-6th round pick even if his game is raw. You probably know I am a big fan of him, but he's easily worth the risk in being higher up the board. Likewise with Holm, he has all the tools to be much more projectable than a lot of the players you have him.

- If Tynan was 6'2", he would be the best goaler for the OHL easily. I think you're undervaluing his skillset here, but I also admit that goalers are a shot in the dark and he suffered a major injury so I won't argue too hard here.

- Hard to disagree with anything you say about Stranges and Wong. Both have top calibre talent, but some red flags really keep them in the iffy category. Stranges reminds me a lot of Bobby Ryan in both his strengths and weaknesses concerning his game, whereas Wong is great at everything until he has a scoring chance and his weaknesses like average skating and weak frame prevents him on capitalising on the chances he makes.

- Foudy I think is a product of overscouting, he has issues like how high his offensive talent is, but there is still a lot to like here. Hard to say where he goes because you mentioned he's very polarising, but he's still a top 60 player and that's better than a lot of the hockey world.

1. Drysdale - If I remember correctly, you didn't have Drysdale in your early first round last year (released around this time), so it's clear that we probably won't see eye to eye on him. He would have received a top 10 rank from me at this time last year too. I think Drysdale defends very well in transition. And he's such a smart player and a motivated kid, I think that he'll eventually become a really good positional defender in coverage too. I see him as a big time minute eater from the right side and a guy who can wear a letter for your club. That holds significant value for me.

2. Perreault - The even strength production is definitely a plus. But you also have to take into account that by playing on a poor team, he's receiving all the ice time he can handle. Not a luxury all draft eligible players receive. Additionally, Sarnia was out of a lot of games this year, so how many of Perreault's ES points came when the game was already out of reach? Don't have the data to back that up, but just something to think about. My issue here is the decision making and processing speed. For a kid who skates like he does, neutral zone turnovers are too abundant. This is where he should thrive, but he doesn't keep his feet moving. And there are major inconsistencies away from the puck. He has potential, absolutely. I wouldn't have him at #9 (projecting him as someone in that 25-40 range for me) if I didn't think he did. Just prefer some others over him.

3. Coe - Tough to stand out on North Bay, given that the Battalion don't have a ton of talent to surround him with at this time. It highlights some inadequacies in his game. But he's a big kid who can really move and attack North/South. Has a big shot and I think more puck skill than some give him credit for. As long as he improves his play away from the puck (which I think will come playing under Oulahen and will come as North Bay improves as a team), he has a real chance to be a difference maker in the NHL as a middle six winger.

4. Phillips - I like Phillips. I really do. I wrote about him around this time last year talking about how I liked his game. However, big, raw, defenders rarely work out. My biggest hesitation is that Phillips is already a late 2001. He's definitely an athletic kid, but he should be ahead of his peers more than he is or was in his second OHL season, especially if he were to become a more consistently involved offensive contributor. How much room is there really still for growth? Maybe there's much more, but history isn't on his side for players of his ilk. Again, I like Phillips and he has some projectable qualities as a pro. But he's a 4th-5th round gamble for me. Holm...well I think his mobility and his puck skill need to massively improve. He skates decently moving forward, but his turns, transitions, and lateral agility need to improve. I see Mississauga play perhaps more than any other team and he gets turned inside out a fair amount and has trouble when teams send a two man forecheck in on him. There's potential and I'd be fine giving him a look late in the draft, but there are a lot of holes. His first year playing above midget hockey though.

5. Tynan - I wanted to rank him higher. But two reasons why I didn't. First is the injury. It was significant and to his upper leg. I want to make sure the recovery is full. Second is the sample size. He was amazing this year, no doubt. But how would he have done after OHL teams made adjustments when playing him in the second half? Combine that with his average size and you have someone that I'd gladly throw a later round selection towards (ditto for Brochu), or at the very least bring to camp.

Reactions: S E P H

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Thanks for the write up as always. What's your take in Stranges? Any hope for him or is he going the route of a low rent Robbie Schremp?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I've heard it suggested elsewhere (scouching?) that Foudy would have a lot more assists and be considered a 1st round talent if he had a better scorer to pass to (implicating Cuylle). I personally really like Foudy but can't judge Cuylle. I'm just surprised you have them close. You very could be the right one about that, I'm just making the observation.

100% I'm in the minority in having Cuylle ahead of Foudy. I just see his game translating better to the pro level. The heaviness that he plays with is rare, especially when you combine it with the way he shoots the puck. The IQ as a goal scorer is a question mark. However, I think he has a tendency to chase the hit and chase the puck and as he settles down, he'll find those soft spots more consistently.

I'll also recognize that I have a bias towards players like Cuylle, as I believe the "power forward" type still has a place in the game.

It was Will who mentioned that about Foudy, by the way. And he may not be wrong. But it can't all be on Cuylle. Part of Foudy's issue is that teams keep him to the perimeter and that his game is predictable. It's a two-way street IMO. Foudy is a tough guy to play with because of his pace and style. Not many can stay with him in transition, and if they're trailing the play, they're likely covered because, again, teams force Foudy to shoot knowing that he is looking to distribute, so they take away passes to the middle by collapsing. A guy like Cuylle, that's where he's going to do his best work, yet those lanes aren't consistently open for him with those defenders protecting net front when he's on the ice with Foudy. Cuylle would be better working with a more calculated playmaker who slows the game down, such as Perfetti, Nick Suzuki, Morgan Frost, etc (to name some recent OHL players who I believe do this well).

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks for the write up as always. What's your take in Stranges? Any hope for him or is he going the route of a low rent Robbie Schremp?

He's a talented young kid, there's definitely hope. He's just more of a long shot now than we thought he would be a year ago and thus most rankings dropping him down into the middle rounds.

Really, it's the decision making and that alone that hurts Stranges. If he's playing for a worse team who can feed him ice time and live with turnovers, no question his production would have been higher. But on London, different story. The team is competing for the division and conference and can't afford to have him playing such a high risk style when the majority of those risks aren't working out. And his lack of engagement away from the puck really seemed to irk Hunter and it caused some prolonged benchings/limited ice time late in games.

The question is (and this is just a question about your fundamental beliefs as a talent evaluator) do you believe that vision and decision making can be improved? If the answer is yes, you take a chance on Stranges in hopes that the Hunters can work their magic and Stranges' game matures and becomes more calculated. If the answer is no, you probably don't draft players like Stranges where IQ is a red flag.

I have little doubt that he will eventually be a strong junior scorer, either in his D+1 or D+2 years. But whether his game improves to the point where we can say "what he does will translate to the NHL level," remains to be seen.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
100% I'm in the minority in having Cuylle ahead of Foudy. I just see his game translating better to the pro level. The heaviness that he plays with is rare, especially when you combine it with the way he shoots the puck. The IQ as a goal scorer is a question mark. However, I think he has a tendency to chase the hit and chase the puck and as he settles down, he'll find those soft spots more consistently.

I'll also recognize that I have a bias towards players like Cuylle, as I believe the "power forward" type still has a place in the game.

It was Will who mentioned that about Foudy, by the way. And he may not be wrong. But it can't all be on Cuylle. Part of Foudy's issue is that teams keep him to the perimeter and that his game is predictable. It's a two-way street IMO. Foudy is a tough guy to play with because of his pace and style. Not many can stay with him in transition, and if they're trailing the play, they're likely covered because, again, teams force Foudy to shoot knowing that he is looking to distribute, so they take away passes to the middle by collapsing. A guy like Cuylle, that's where he's going to do his best work, yet those lanes aren't consistently open for him with those defenders protecting net front when he's on the ice with Foudy. Cuylle would be better working with a more calculated playmaker who slows the game down, such as Perfetti, Nick Suzuki, Morgan Frost, etc (to name some recent OHL players who I believe do this well).

That's a good point. It's hard to be the triggerman when everyone knows the puck is coming to you.

I am not sure about Foudy's offensive upside but I think there's a lot of value in a breakout and transition machine at the NHL level. He may have to be taught to make simpler plays in the offensive zone, and not become a big scorer, but I still like that kind of player.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Fantastic read. Some very interesting debates happening with OHL prospects perfectly captured here - is Byfield really the best player out of the OHL? Is Drysdale a better prospect? Should Perfetti or Rossi go first? Thanks, Brock.

Here's how I'd have it "tiered."

Tier 1 - Byfield and Drysdale
Tier 2 - Rossi, Perfetti, and Quinn
Tier 3 - Mysak, O'Rourke, Chromiak, Foerster, Perreault
Tier 4 - Cuylle, Foudy, Evangelista

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Have to say i dissagree with alot of this.

What a crazy year this has been so far. The covid-19 pandemic has caused chaos in the scouting world (and obviously the everyday world) because so many important late season events were canceled (U18's, OHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, Draft Combine, etc). The draft WILL occur at some point, and as such it is time to look at my year end rankings. It will be interesting to look back on this ranking in a few years, more so than usual, to see the effects of the shutdown on our ability to evaluate.

Just for clarification, for my top 50 ranking, I haven't included any players eligible for draft re-entry, such as Nico Daws, Yevgeni Oksentyuk, or Pavel Gogolev. This has been consistent all the way through my lists. Instead, I did a list of the top 10 draft re-entries, which can be found here.

Also for clarification, this list is MY list of the top 50 OHL prospects, as if I were drafting for my own team. In other words, this isn't a list of where I THINK or believe players will go, but a ranking of my own opinion on the top players eligible for this draft based on my viewings this season.

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 1: Honorable Mentions

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 2: 31-50

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

1. Quinton Byfield
  2. Jamie Drysdale
  3. Marco Rossi
  4. Cole Perfetti
  5. Jack Quinn
  6. Jan Mysak
  7. Ryan O’Rourke
  8. Martin Chromiak
  9. Jacob Perreault
  10. Tyson Foerster
  11. Will Cuylle
  12. Jean Luc Foudy
  13. Luke Evangelista
  14. Evan Vierling
  15. Brandon Coe
  16. Ty Tullio
  17. Donovan Sebrango
  18. Zayde Wisdom
  19. Jack Thompson
  20. Oliver Suni
  21. Jaromir Pytlik
  22. Antonio Stranges
  23. James Hardie
  24. Nick Malik
  25. Ruben Rafkin
  26. Ethan Cardwell
  27. Will Cranley
  28. Declan McDonnell
  29. Isaak Phillips
  30. Andrei Bakanov
  31. Mitchell Smith
  32. Cameron Tolnai
  33. Reid Valade
  34. Tanner Dickinson
  35. Rory Kerins
  36. Hayden Fowler
  37. Logan Morrison
  38. Cameron Butler
  39. Riley Piercey
  40. Jake Uberti
  41. Vitali Pinchuk
  42. Olle Bjorgvik Holm
  43. Lleyton Moore
  44. Jacob Murray
  45. Ville Ottavainen
  46. Tucker Tynan
  47. Kirill Steklov
  48. Brett Brochu
  49. Alec Belanger
  50. Mark Woolley
Here's an example of a few of the write ups:

1. Quinton Byfield - Center - Sudbury Wolves
I admit, part of me wanted to put Drysdale at #1. I was close. However, at the end of the day, I still think that Byfield's high end potential keeps him on top. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't impressed with Byfield's play in the second half. I'm not talking about the World Juniors either, I could care less about his performance there. I'm talking about some of the turnovers that he was more prone to post World Juniors in Sudbury. I found him less deliberate with the puck, and less aggressive in using his size to drive through traffic to draw in defenders. However, I do think that a lot of this had to do with decreased confidence coming back from the World Juniors. I also wonder if he may have been nursing an injury. Look, Byfield is far from a perfect prospect, not something you always utter about a kid who looks like a lock for the top 3. So I do actually understand why some have become skeptical of him. Some of the issues he had with turnovers and processing in transition were the same ones he had at times as a minor midget player. His shot and confidence in using his size to create shooting lanes will need to improve. He needs to do a better job of driving the net, with and without the puck, more consistently. I would love to see him dominate near the crease, getting himself more "easy" goals. All of that said, it's important to remember that if you're drafting Byfield, you're drafting him for the player that he's going to be in five years, not right now. I don't think he's NHL ready and being back in Sudbury would be great for him next year, so that he can learn to dominate consistently against his peers. And dominant he can. Few players come through the junior ranks who possess the combination of size, power, and skill that Byfield possesses. When playing down low, he can control possession for nearly entire shifts, by using his size to protect the puck, and his sharp edgework to keep defenders guessing. And while his decision making can sometimes frustrate (I find this more likely to occur in transition, or on odd man rushes), he actually does have good vision when the game slows down for him. His ability to work the give and go is particularly impressive and effective. Byfield is also a better defensive player than people give him credit for IMO. He shows understanding of his responsibilities down the middle by covering for pinching defenders and hustling back to provide back pressure. As he becomes more assertive physically, I think his effectiveness will improve as a defensive player. I think if we're asking Byfield to develop into a physical beast (like say, an Eric Lindros), we're asking too much of him. He's not that kind of player. However, he is an August birthday, so it's scary to think that he could still mature further physically. At the end of the day, Byfield's ceiling as a dominant first line center is too much to look past. Even at the low end of his ceiling is a power winger who can still play in your top 6, so the floor is quite high too.

2. Jamie Drysdale - Defense - Erie Otters
As mentioned, I really did think long and hard about putting Drysdale at number one. I have the highest opinion of him. He is my favourite defensive prospect to be draft eligible from the OHL since Drew Doughty (and that's saying a lot). He is the absolute perfect defender for today's NHL because of his elite mobility and high IQ. His skating ability is breathtaking. Just so effortless, yet so explosive. Teams have such a difficult time pinning down Drysdale in his own end when he's on the ice because of how well he handles dump ins. He's so efficient switching from backward to forward stride and he takes terrific routes to the puck, allowing him to keep forecheckers on his back as he skates away to start the breakout. Drysdale is also so difficult to get around because of his mobility. He has such an effective stick when defending one on one. However, attackers in transition can exploit his passiveness at times. His confidence in being a little more physically assertive will need to improve to defend at the NHL level. He'll never be a physical player. But another year in the OHL is needed so that he can become a little more effective in net front coverage. Offensively, Drysdale is just so efficient. His head is always up leaving his own zone and he makes great decisions on when to push deep and when not to. He is starting to realize how much of an advantage his skating ability gives him because he can be more aggressive jumping up in the play, but still have the speed to recover defensively. While he does not possess an elite shot, Drysdale is very good at opening up shooting lanes with his lateral mobility. He will step into the slot when he sees an opening, using a low hard wrist shot to beat goaltenders or generate rebounds. Bottom line is that Drysdale projects as the type of defender who can play in any situation at the NHL level, and eat up a ton of minutes. I could easily see him winning a Norris or two. And even if his offensive skill set (or defensive abilities) don't translate at an elite level, I think his floor is still that of a quality second pairing puck mover. Did I also mention that he's a coveted right shot defender?

3. Marco Rossi - Center - Ottawa 67's
For me, the players ranked 3 through 5 here (Rossi, Perfetti, and Quinn) are all pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see them drafted in any combination of order, be it even Quinn first (he's got a way higher standing with NHL scouts than some internet scouts want to believe). This is a Marco Rossi write up though, so let's talk about him. IMO, Rossi is the best two-way forward in the entire OHL. When the puck isn't on his stick, he is just so hungry to get it back and he plays with such a high intensity level. He pushes hard to apply back pressure and uses a strong lower body and a quick stick to force turnovers. As an offensive player, Rossi is just so well rounded. His skating improved a lot this year, especially his top gear, and this made him a way more effective player in transition. He can push the pace, but has the puck skill, creativity, and poise to make calculated decisions even when pressured. His identification of passing lanes is at an elite level. Rossi can also beat you from below the goal line. He often requires two defenders to separate him from the puck in the cycle, despite being only 5'9, and that's because he has such a strong base and always keeps his feet moving. But Rossi also has eyes in the back of his head, showing such great awareness of when to spin off a check to find that streaking linemate. Rossi also has a great release and navigates the slot extremely well with the timing of a high end goal scorer. I will admit, last year I just wasn't as high on Rossi because I didn't feel like he had the creativity or skating ability to be a top 6 center. But man, did he prove me wrong this year by improving so much. The one concern that I do see is his size and whether he'll remain effective down the middle at the next level. He's as strong as an ox, but it's certainly not impossible that he will need to move to the wing to be a more successful and durable two-way presence. I think he can stick down the middle, but I have heard and understand the concerns.

4. Cole Perfetti - Left Wing/Center - Saginaw Spirit
Sometimes I feel like Perfetti is the forgotten man in this draft class. To a certain degree, a lot of that had to do with a perceived slow start (even though if you had watched him in the opening month, you would know that he was just snake bitten). However, Perfetti had a hell of a year and is a hell of an offensive player. One thing that Perfetti really improved this year was his ability to facilitate. In his rookie season, he was more of a goal scorer and at times I found him to be a little too complacent; waiting for the game to come to him. This year, he had way more of a take the bull by the horns approach by driving the play and allowing Saginaw's offense to flow through him and his ability to create. His 33 even strength primary assists led the entire CHL this year (ahead of Alexis Lafreniere) and are a testament to that. His hands are elite. His IQ is elite. He's not big (5'10), but he is elusive. His four way mobility and agility are quite good and when you combine this with his vision and creativity, you get a player who is difficult to separate from the puck when he works the half wall area. Much has been made about his lack of explosiveness and top speed. These are legitimate concerns. Skating can certainly be improved, but Perfetti is not likely to ever be a high end forward mover. However, he thinks the game so well and I think that truly does make up for it. Once inside the offensive zone, lateral quickness and agility are more important than pure speed and Perfetti has that. These skating concerns remind me of the way people picked apart Mitch Marner's stride in his draft year. Like Marco Rossi, Perfetti is just such a well rounded offensive player. He really can do it all in the offensive end. Where Rossi is ahead, is in the defensive end. Perfetti is not a poor defensive player. He does have a good stick which is a by product of his IQ. But he's not likely to ever be a high end defensive player, so his value will come in the offensive end. Additionally, Perfetti is a winger at the NHL level for me. This is why I've got Rossi slightly ahead, but I'd be lying if I didn't flip flop them a couple times. The two of them are slam dunk top 10 prospects for me.

Check the links for full write ups on the entire top 50 in addition to 22 HM's.

As always, happy to answer any questions you may have.

Terrific job! You can tell you really watched alot of these players all year long with how detailed and accurate some of your player descriptions are. I watched alot of the 67's and you're bang on with Quinn. I agree its a coin flip between Rossi, Quinn and Perfetti. I watched Quinns evolution, you saw the raw talent and creativity last season as a rookie. He scored some incredible goals, he just had a limited role as a rookie on a stacked team. Personally id take him over Rossi, cant go wrong with any of those 3. Its pretty crazy to think none of them are likely to be picked in the top 5. Speaks to the high end depth of the draft as most years all 3 of them are top 5 picks.

Agree wholeheartedly about Drysdale, he showed how talented a player he was when he adapted to playing his wrong side at the WJC with Byram out. He got better every shift, his confidence soared the more ice he got. I cant remember the last time I have seen a 17 year old d man do that on Canada on that stage.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Pytlik finally ranked where he should have been for most of the season. You imply you see him as 3rd rounder and consider it low, but I would say even that's a bit high, he is a 4th rounder in my eyes.
Malik was having quite strong draft season until he went overseas, I wonder how it affects his draft chances. I considered him a near lock to be drafted, maybe as high as 4th round or even late 3rd, but have to think his short OHL stint didn't do him any favours, probably more of a 6th/7th rounder now? No idea how NHL scouts value him.

I wanted to ask about late 2002 born Stepan Machacek from Owen Sound Attack? His numbers are unimpressive to say the least, but last season I enjoyed watching him, very raw, but the talent was there. I think he should have stayed in the Czech Republic, the transition from Czech juniors (in which he wasn't a dominant player) to much better OHL might have stunted his development.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Pytlik finally ranked where he should have been for most of the season. You imply you see him as 3rd rounder and consider it low, but I would say even that's a bit high, he is a 4th rounder in my eyes.
Malik was having quite strong draft season until he went overseas, I wonder how it affects his draft chances. I considered him a near lock to be drafted, maybe as high as 4th round or even late 3rd, but have to think his short OHL stint didn't do him any favours, probably more of a 6th/7th rounder now? No idea how NHL scouts value him.

I wanted to ask about late 2002 born Stepan Machacek from Owen Sound Attack? His numbers are unimpressive to say the least, but last season I enjoyed watching him, very raw, but the talent was there. I think he should have stayed in the Czech Republic, the transition from Czech juniors (in which he wasn't a dominant player) to much better OHL might have stunted his development.

Regarding Malik...something that is extremely interesting and will likely hurt his draft stock, NHL Central Scouting has him measured at 6'0. He had been listed as 6'2(ish) by some other outfits (like EP), but if he's 6'0 and he's got some technical flaws (which he does), he could be more likely to go undrafted completely than be a mid round selection. His play with the Soo wasn't as bad as the numbers suggest though.

Machacek was a major disappointment in Owen Sound this year. He plays a pretty chippy game and involves himself physically. Shows some ability and vision as a playmaker. His only goal was scored on a bad angle from behind the goal line. Truthfully, I'm not sure he's even a long term OHL player, let alone an NHL prospect next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he was not back in the league next year.

Reactions: Wooren

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Regarding Malik...something that is extremely interesting and will likely hurt his draft stock, NHL Central Scouting has him measured at 6'0. He had been listed as 6'2(ish) by some other outfits (like EP), but if he's 6'0 and he's got some technical flaws (which he does), he could be more likely to go undrafted completely than be a mid round selection. His play with the Soo wasn't as bad as the numbers suggest though.

i meant to ask you this about malik, since soo lists him on the roster as 6'2". do you think
he's closer to 6'0? if he's really 6'0", i'd much prefer rolling the dice on tynan or even
brochu who may still grow with a very late birthday.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

anywhere from 60-100 seems reasonable. teams love those guys with size that can play all 3 zones.
i bet the bruins love this guy, they tend to gravitate toward the high floor guys (and skating issues
never seem to concern them).

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Machacek was a major disappointment in Owen Sound this year. He plays a pretty chippy game and involves himself physically. Shows some ability and vision as a playmaker. His only goal was scored on a bad angle from behind the goal line. Truthfully, I'm not sure he's even a long term OHL player, let alone an NHL prospect next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he was not back in the league next year.
Malik does look smaller than 6'2, though 6'0 might be pushing it. I think he is around 6'1, slightly below average for a goalie, but not a midget. Might still grow, considering both his father and brother are 6'2+.

As for Machacek, your description checks out. No idea what's going to happen to imports and Import draft considering what's going on in the world right now, but the chance of him getting released by Owen is probably quite high. It would be a mistake in my opinion, but I fully understand imports should be impact players, which wasn't Machacek's case.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
i meant to ask you this about malik, since soo lists him on the roster as 6'2". do you think
he's closer to 6'0? if he's really 6'0", i'd much prefer rolling the dice on tynan or even
brochu who may still grow with a very late birthday.

It's a good question. The lack of NHL combine this year really makes this interesting.

For me, Malik's biggest weakness is in his technical abilities. The athleticism is there IMO. And I think he tracks the play pretty well too. But it's so integral for goalies around that 6'0 mark to be technically sound. A slight overcommitment here, down to early there, and the opening is larger. I wonder what NHL scouts will think of this.

Reactions: neelynugs

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
anywhere from 60-100 seems reasonable. teams love those guys with size that can play all 3 zones.
i bet the bruins love this guy, they tend to gravitate toward the high floor guys (and skating issues
never seem to concern them).

Pytlik certainly plays a pro ready game. Other than making further improvements to his skating, he won't have to make too many adjustments. For me though, I just don't see high end offensive upside, creativity, vision, puck skill, finishing ability, etc. And he's a solid two-way forward. And he controls the wall well. But I really don't know if he's more than a 4th liner and penalty killer. And as we know, it can be very difficult to keep European players in the NHL in that role, because they can leave for home, make nearly as much money, and play a helluva lot more.

Reactions: neelynugs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there’s a lot of over-scouting with Foudy. Almost everyone says he’s more talented than his brother, and despite having a bad draft year, he was still more productive than his brother. Liam was probably slightly over-drafted in hindsight, but I see it really hard to justify Foudy outside of the first round.

There’s a point in every draft where the talent drops off and you don’t have a choice of players with high ceilings, unless you take one of the polarizing players. With a kid like Foudy, we are talking about an elite speed, skill, playmaking combination. It’s easily a top six ceiling because of those three attributes. Some of the things people mention are quintessential over-scouting.

Some of these guys have real big weaknesses in their game like skating issues, a bad hockey IQ, weak playmaking. The majority of people that criticize Foudy are criticizing very minor things, like over-handling the puck, perimeter playing style, play off the puck, teammates not keeping up well with him in OHL.

I have no problem with his stock slipping a little due to not having a good season. Players that don’t have good seasons usually slip, but I think there comes a point where you can’t have him slip past because he’s too talented, and the upside of players in that range simply isn’t high enough to justify ranking ahead of him.

Reactions: majormajor

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Great list as usual. Pretty much every forward all the way up to Wisdom is a top-liner on their team or would be if the team wasn’t veteran or deep.

There’s really no wrong answers with this group IMO. Even a guy like Cuylle has high upside and he and Foudy looked really good even when not scoring.

I’m lukewarm on the defensemen after Sebrango though but Moore could be a sleeper. Holm is all upside with that size-skating combo but that pairing with Harley was a circus sometimes. OHL dmen of all ages had a rough year collectively. Not many in this top 50 will crack my top 200. Im opting to choose more forwards, much like Brock’s list.

One thing about Tullio - I probably overrate him but I really like the fact that he earned a top-line job with while his dad is the owner. He was criticized/pressured a little for how high he went in the OHL draft but he lived up to it. Have no idea what his coaches or teammates think but nobody can deny how good he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad