Final thoughts on WJC 06 for USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Comfortably Numb said:
After these WJC's, I think I can conclude that Bourdon > Lee.

You mean, based on the performances in these WJC's.

How is Pat Falloon's NHL career shaping up anyway?

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Just to comment on some of the things you said.

The fans were disgusting. I don't want to get a discussion on the fans again beacause this is about the American team but I'm embrassed to be from the Vancouver area. Booing an 18 year old kid is awful. Heckling and jeering the American team and chanting USA sucks is classless. I can't believe they were cheering for the Russians. Speaking of the Russians, do those teams hate one another. I thought it was going to get our of hand but I'm glad it didn't. I thin something might happen down the road between those two countries.

If the US doesn't tie Switzerland it would be a whole differnet tournaemnt for the Americans. I hope they win the Bronze because they deserve to win something after the treatment they got here.

That's nice to hear. I'm also glad it didn't get out of hand. Not fun getting blown out of the tournament two years in a row by them.

Randall Graves*

Phanuthier said:
What were they before?
Kessells hockey mom. Perhaps the animosity between johnson/skill and Kessell was a factor in the poor chemistry.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's funny, because the entire tournament was basically squandered by that game against the Swiss.

Everything else dominoed from there.

They had to win against Canada, not tie. If they'd eked out a win against the Swiss, they would have had the bye due to goal differential in a tie-game situation against Canada.

After eking out a win against the Czechs, they're tired and have to face the other highly touted team in the tournament.

In some short tournaments, you just can't take a game off.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
How does the coaching staff get picked for these tournys? 2 years in a row now team USA has suffered from bad coaching imo.

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
chiefmonarch said:
How does the coaching staff get picked for these tournys? 2 years in a row now team USA has suffered from bad coaching imo.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with Sandelin either. I think the USA Hockey head of hockey operations (used to be Palazzari, I think) picks them.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Kaizer said:
Kessel and Oshie were the best players for team USA by far (I dislike this word, but it is what it is), especially Oshie who wasn't hyped that much and that's why I was more than just suprised with his performance, very good pick up by Blues.

I'm surprised you've omitted Jack Johnson as he was the most active defenceman from the games I saw. He was doing a lot of everything (including throwing some 'bows) and played like a war-horse out there.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Of all the US players, Oshie impressed me the most. Never seemed to quit, and always seemed willing to play the team game.

Speaking as an Oilers fan, I've seen Schremp live and on TV many a time, and he was pretty disapointing here. Didn't get much ice time, but didn't do much with what he had.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
ish said:
To top it off is the treatment from Canada. I really don't get why Canadians get off on ripping Americans. Haha, our government is in a shambles and so is our junior hockey. Great. I love Canada (to the point that I get made fun of), but this really troubles me. Booing Jack Johnson for what he did? Fine. Chanting US sucks is the height of low class. Canadians, of all people, should know that international topics (for you guys it's hockey) are treated very seriously. So don't give me the "we're just jeering our rivals, like a Rangers fan would the Islanders". Two totally different things. Chanting against a particular NHL team is directed only at people who root for that team, while jeering a nation targets all of its people (as in millions of people, 90-95% of whom aren't even hockey fans). You want to jeer a player (like Ryan for sucking or if you want to break Kessels stones becaused he's hyped), that's fine but telling us our country (not just our hockey) sucks is too far in my opinion.

Comedian Jon Stewart once joked that "A Canadian woman kept asking me, 'What do Americans really think about Canada? What do Americans really think about Canada?' " And Mr. Stewart answered, "We don't."

Canadians have always had a love/hate relationship with the US. Truly Canada relies on the US for an abundance of things. Trade being the first and foremost. Culturally, Canadians are tied to the US as well. We essentially are an extension of Americana. Our TV is 90% American programming and the styles, fashions, way of life is heavily influenced by the US.
The two things I mentioned are very important in why Canadians also have a problem with the US. Most notably in terms of trade, there is tremendous animosity towards the US in terms of it's cavalier attitude towards softwood lumber tariffs (the US lost a world court decision and yet will not remove the tariffs) and BSE .(mad cow disease- nearly crippled Alberta's cattle industry because the US would not open the border even though there was no health risks) Americans own most of the industries in Canada, heck they even control how much water flows through dams along the Canadian side of the Columbia river.
Americana is all around us. We are becoming more American and that ugly undercurrent of anti-American sentiment is actually part of the transformation. Remember how the US trashed France? That's us with the US. I often think it's jealousy or insecurity, but truth is we are slowly turning into pompous, self-righteous, we're better than you, jerks especially those who watch a lot of TV. Culturally, we have turned into Americans and are trashing our neighbour in a manner that is very similar to the way an American on the Amazing Race would trash a cabbie in Belize for not having the courtesy to speak English.
I could lecture on US/Canadian relations for hours as it's my job, but this isn't really the place for it.

ish

Jan 3, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
loudi94 said:
Comedian Jon Stewart once joked that "A Canadian woman kept asking me, 'What do Americans really think about Canada? What do Americans really think about Canada?' " And Mr. Stewart answered, "We don't."

Canadians have always had a love/hate relationship with the US. Truly Canada relies on the US for an abundance of things. Trade being the first and foremost. Culturally, Canadians are tied to the US as well. We essentially are an extension of Americana. Our TV is 90% American programming and the styles, fashions, way of life is heavily influenced by the US.
The two things I mentioned are very important in why Canadians also have a problem with the US. Most notably in terms of trade, there is tremendous animosity towards the US in terms of it's cavalier attitude towards softwood lumber tariffs (the US lost a world court decision and yet will not remove the tariffs) and BSE .(mad cow disease- nearly crippled Alberta's cattle industry because the US would not open the border even though there was no health risks) Americans own most of the industries in Canada, heck they even control how much water flows through dams along the Canadian side of the Columbia river.
Americana is all around us. We are becoming more American and that ugly undercurrent of anti-American sentiment is actually part of the transformation. Remember how the US trashed France? That's us with the US. I often think it's jealousy or insecurity, but truth is we are slowly turning into pompous, self-righteous, we're better than you, jerks especially those who watch a lot of TV. Culturally, we have turned into Americans and are trashing our neighbour in a manner that is very similar to the way an American on the Amazing Race would trash a cabbie in Belize for not having the courtesy to speak English.
I could lecture on US/Canadian relations for hours as it's my job, but this isn't really the place for it.

I love this topic as well, but it just seems odd to air your country's insecurities at a hockey game. Well, maybe it isn't, we are talking about Canada here. I'm sure you know this, but something like 3/4 of our population lives nowhere near the Canadian border, while probably more than 3/4 of yours lives within an hour or two from our border. So it makes sense that we're always on your minds. Most Canadians live pretty close to the US border. But most Americans don't live near Canada. Just like I never think of Mexico, because I'm like 2000 miles away from it. And you guys get mad when most Americans think Toronto is in Michigan or something, etc, etc. Interesting stuff.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
loudi94 said:

etc etc etc

C'mon man, leave that stuff outta here. The whole GDT got shut down because of that stuff. I"m sure you mean well, but posting stuff not related to hockey in here is just asking for a closed thread.

If you're gonna go offtopic in a thread, at the very least keep the offtopic to hockey related.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Loudi94........thank you for expressing so well what this Pro American Albertan also feels........very nicely summed up.......though regarding the BSE, I think the Americans were leery of opening up their borders because the Japanese were threatening to lock out the Americans if they had done so??? I think on that issue the Americans were within their rights.......however on the Softwood lumber, it does look like the Canucks are right on this issue... :teach:

Btw, do you teach polysci at the University in Lethbridge???

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Americans were boo'd at the start of the tournament because they were the favourite, over Canada, so rightfully the crowd was going to be against them to try to help the opposing teams. But the booing really picked up after the JJ's flying elbow. Obviously that was a factor, they were booing him whenever he touched the puck. Once a crowd gets going like that you're not going to stop them easily. Maybe it got out of hand, but thats where it snowballed from.

All the garbage about politics and blah blah blah seems more like bitterness to me. If you want to blame the boos on anything blame it on the media who hyped the Americans hardcore here, obviously when you come to Canada as the favourites we are going to cheer for the other teams.

As for the tournament, I didn't watch every US game. But it did seem like you had the talent to win. The top 2 draft picks from last year, many other 1st round picks, and 3 players that will probably all go top 5 next year. The talent was there. It really did seem like chemistry and effort was lacking, which can be blamed on the players and mostly the coach. The coaches main job, above even putting in a system, are motivating his players to work hard and getting them to play as a team; especially in a short tournament.

Also, Eric Johnson looks awesome. Undrafted players rarely make suck an impact, especially defensemen. He is one guy deserving his hype right now.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
I think J. Johnson was the best...

That said, let's listen to what Robbie Schremp has to say: “Well, they’ve never really been good sportsmen,†said USA sniper Robbie Schremp of the Russians. “We saw that last year in North Dakota, and you know, it’s not a big surprise, whatever, that’s just the way they act, that’s the way they are. We didn’t expect any different.â€

Oh, I like this! What an example of sportsmenship!! Doesn't this lay a perfect foundation for the next years possible meeting? The next one will be one heck of a goonery :biglaugh:

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I've seen all 5 USA games and I'll be attending the Bronze medal game as well. Here are my personal thoughts on a few of the players, etc. (I haven't seen any TSN analysis, so I'm just goin' off the top of my head, feel free to add/correct me)

Oshie - the most consistent, dominant player out there. I would love to have him on my team any day. Had the US won the gold, I'd have handed this kid MVP. He really impressed me. So many intangibles.

Kessel - offensively explosive, when he's on he's hot, when he's not he's still good...I say he still goes #1 unless someone desperately needs a D-man. He's a raw talent, and with some fine-tuning, he'll be a good NHL forward.

Ryan - when given the chance, he dominated along the boards, but appeared invisible due to lack of playing time at the beginning of the tournament. I don't think he was given a fair chance to get into the tournament.

Schremp - similar to what I wrote about Kessel, but I expected a little more out of schremp, he slightly disappointed, still think he's gonna be awesome. Wasn't there an issue with Schremp last season's US team? Can't remember right now...

Mueller - I was impressed by this kid the whole tourney, he didn't stand out like Kessell, but played consistently out there

J. Johnson - I love this kid. He played hard ALL tournament. Made MANY great rushes, and 100% of his 1st passes were crisp and usually on. He's a great skater and he's a bruiser. Obviously his game was a bit too physical for the IIHF, but he'll be great in the NHL. The whole elbow thing will only add character to the kid, he got to experience the full brunt of fan harassment just like Montoya did last year. Carolina is loving this kid.

E. Johnson - Same has JJ, except not as many penalties. I think EJ and JJ will be manning USA International Bluelines for years to come. He's probably the only legitamite challenger to Kessel for #1 overall.

Schneider - had great moments, had shaky moments. I think he was very focused out there and is excellent at making that first save. His rebounds were the weakest point, but you know how it is with young goalies, I'm betting he'll be playing in the NHL at some point. He's a good goalie.

Others - Lee seemed unnoticable to me, Bourque has feistiness but did not overly impressed, Fritsche has some tenacity out there...

I'm very impressed with the calibre USA is pumping out. Its great to see Americans challenging the upper echelons of the NHL draft and Prospect lists. Greater global competition only means good things for the game of hockey.

I can't speak for the coaching, etc. I don't have enough insight so I decline to comment on that.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
what i learned about team usa in this tourney...

oshie= a warrior, never gives up.

Kessel is good, needs more moves

Borque is a spart plug, has a future nhl role

Robbie schremp is useless on 5 on 5 play

Bobby Ryan, just a pathetic skater, like just horrible on his feet, no balance, just akwkward on skates. I don't see how in the hell a player like this translates to the nhl.

Jack Johnson is good, but Erik Johnson stole the show for team usa, best D man, best player.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I disagree with the criticism on Kyle. He's a great coach. I've heard nothing but good things about Kyle from some of the players. The players just didnt get it done on the ice. How do you blame Kyle for that?

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Den said:
“Well, they’ve never really been good sportsmen,†said USA sniper Robbie Schremp of the Russians. “We saw that last year in North Dakota, and you know, it’s not a big surprise, whatever, that’s just the way they act, that’s the way they are. We didn’t expect any different.â€

Not to say that I harbour any ill will or anything, but it was very sportsmanlike of Schremp to pout and sulk his way off of the Mississauga Ice Dogs. :madfire:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I have a lot of comments on the American team.

Overall, I think everyone knows the primary problem was too much individual play. Still, though, I really really think the team was overrated coming in. I thought that from the time they were labelled as "clear favourites" by seemingly everyone, and I still think that. Yes, it's a talented team, and yes, there are a lot of high and soon to be high draft picks. Talent wise, it might have been the best team the USA has ever sent, but I maintain that it is only a little bit more talented than Canada, and not as deep (particularly on defense). I think realistically they were the cofavourites along with Russia and Canada, and nowhere near the clear favourites.

Some other general problems I think plagued the US team were far too much reliance on their best defensemen, too many offense first players and not nearly strong enough depth and quality checkers, and occasional huge mistakes in their own zone with and without the puck.

Some positives were an extremely dangerous powerplay which inexplicably fizzled tonight, outstanding play from Erik and Jack Johnson, good goaltending from Cory Schnieder, and reasonably good composure in front of fans that mysteriously despised them.

They should easily take the bronze if they can focus on the game and haven't already gone home after losing the gold.

I'll post thoughts on each individual player in a bit.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Draft Guru said:
I disagree with the criticism on Kyle. He's a great coach. I've heard nothing but good things about Kyle from some of the players. The players just didnt get it done on the ice. How do you blame Kyle for that?

Why didn't the players get it done on the ice though? Pretty shallow to just say the players didn't get it done on the ice, and since he can't play he can't be blamed.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
loudi94 said:

Great post..and as a BC resident..I can tell you this is very true. Of course it's wrong to boo teenage hockey players on grounds of soft wood lumber and BSE. But people see "Canada vs America" and they think "those #*%*$ American's and there illegal terriffs etc...it's weird and wrong...but it's life.

Randall Graves*

Chrisd said:
what i learned about team usa in this tourney...

oshie= a warrior, never gives up.

Kessel is good, needs more moves

Borque is a spart plug, has a future nhl role

Robbie schremp is useless on 5 on 5 play

Bobby Ryan, just a pathetic skater, like just horrible on his feet, no balance, just akwkward on skates. I don't see how in the hell a player like this translates to the nhl.

Jack Johnson is good, but Erik Johnson stole the show for team usa, best D man, best player.
I agree with your skating comments on Ryan, but in the other games i've seen he is great along the boards with a great pair of hands. His skating is a definite issue, he needs to spend alot of time in the off season working with a skating coach, and get in the weight room more. But my problem is he didn't get much of a chance to show what he can do. Maybe he didn't deserve it.

I also feel the same way about Schremp and Wheeler. I think Walt Kyle just fell in love with the kessel line, and fritsche line too much.

Oshie and the Johnsons had great tourney's...everyone else i'm indifferent about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->