HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
2004 U-18 JUNIOR WORLD CUP FINAL ROSTER

CANADA’S NATIONAL UNDER-18 TEAM ROSTER
(JUNIOR WORLD CUP – AUGUST 10-15, 2004)

Goaltenders

30 Mior, Ryan L/G 5’11.5 182 06/18/87 St.John’s, NL PEI Rocket (QMJHL)
1 Price, Carey L/G 6’2.5 209 08/16/87 Williams Lake, BC Tri-City Americans (WHL)

Defence/Defense

4 Bourdon, Luc L/G 6'1 202 02/16/1987 Shippagan, NB Val d’Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
15 McNeil, Patrick L/G 5’11 195 03/17/1987 Strathroy, ON Saginaw Spirit (OHL)
6 Mikkelson, Brendan L/G 6'2 178 07/22/1987 St. Albert, AB Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
7 Parent, Ryan L/G 6’1.5 181 03/17/1987 Sioux Lookout, ON Guelph Storm (OHL)
10 Russell, Kris L/G 5'9.5 159 05/02/1987 Caroline, AB Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
27 Staal, Marc L/G 6'3 198 01/13/1987 Thunder Bay, ON Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
5 Wilson, Ryan L/G 6'0 208 02/03/1987 Windsor, ON St. Michael's (OHL)

Forwards/Avants

26 Bass, Cody R/D 5'11.5 181 07/01/1987 Guelph, ON Mississauga Ice Dogs (OHL)
9 Bertram, Dan R/D 5’9.5 175 01/14/1987 Calgary, AB Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL)
19 Bradford, Brock R/D 5'8 152 01/07/1987 Burnaby, BC Coquitlam Express (BCHL)
17 Brule, Gilbert R/D 5'10 175 01/01/1987 North Vancouver, BC Vancouver Giants (WHL)
22 Clune, Richard L/G 5’9.5 197 04/25/1987 Toronto, ON Sarnia Sting (OHL)
12 Clutterbuck, Cal R/D 5'9 198 11/18/1987 Welland, ON Toronto St. Michael’s Majors (OHL)
11 Cogliano, Andrew L/G 5'9 177 06/14/1987 Woodbridge, ON St. Michael’s Buzzers (OHA)
24 Durand, Chris R/D 6'1 182 01/21/1987 Saskatoon, SK Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
25 Hobson, Adam L/G 5’11.5 200 01/09/1987 Mission, BC Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
18 Little, Bryan R/D 5'9 185 11/12/1987 Cambridge, ON Barrie Colts (OHL)
23 O’Marra, Ryan R/D 6'1 188 06/09/1987 Mississauga, ON Erie Otters (OHL)
20 Ryder, Daniel R/D 5'11 192 01/12/1987 Bonavista, NL Peterborough (OHL)
21 Setoguchi, Devin R/D 5'11.5 185 01/01/1987 Taber, AB Saskatoon Blades (WHL)

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I really don't know how Price was picked, I was hearing that he was having a bad camp and that the two best goalies there were Mior and Levasseur????????????

I think Drazonovic, Paquet, and Levasseur
got shafted by hockey canada on this one.

keon14

Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
is this final

I seem to recall last year a few players being picked for the team half way through the season because by the time the tournament came around these guys were having great years in Junior. Is this team just for this up coming tournament or is this the final team for the big tournament in March, I think

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
moosefan said:
I really don't know how Price was picked, I was hearing that he was having a bad camp and that the two best goalies there were Mior and Levasseur????????????

I think Drazonovic, Paquet, and Levasseur
got shafted by hockey canada on this one.

Price was the best tender at camp by far. Levasseur should have made it as well. You may want to check your sources if they said he was having a bad camp. I think he gave up 4 goals max.
Drazonovic is a huge shock. Adam Hobson must have pictures of the staff as he shouldn't have come close to making it.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
leondias said:
Price was the best tender at camp by far. Levasseur should have made it as well. You may want to check your sources if they said he was having a bad camp. I think he gave up 4 goals max.
Drazonovic is a huge shock. Adam Hobson must have pictures of the staff as he shouldn't have come close to making it.

Price was the best????? hummp I had two people tell me he wasn't all that good at the camp, gave up too many rebounds and wasn't great at recovering his game just like he was at the U17s when I seen him. Oh well either way thats what the two people said I was talking to but hey I wasn't there and I guess you were so who am I to say?

What about Paquet how did he look at the camp?

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
moosefan said:
Price was the best????? hummp I had two people tell me he wasn't all that good at the camp, gave up too many rebounds and wasn't great at recovering his game just like he was at the U17s when I seen him. Oh well either way thats what the two people said I was talking to but hey I wasn't there and I guess you were so who am I to say?

What about Paquet how did he look at the camp?

As I said I'd take what those people said with a grain of salt because he was the best one there. Ask any of the 40 NHL guys and you'll get the same response. The guy who had major issues with rebounds was Mior.
Paquet was ok but turned the puck over way to much and didn't stand out in any way other than that. He could have made it over Parent but some of the picks look to be reputation picks if you ask me.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
leondias said:
As I said I'd take what those people said with a grain of salt because he was the best one there. Ask any of the 40 NHL guys and you'll get the same response. The guy who had major issues with rebounds was Mior.
Paquet was ok but turned the puck over way to much and didn't stand out in any way other than that. He could have made it over Parent but some of the picks look to be reputation picks if you ask me.

Mior has always had a problem with rebounds. He is a great goalie but really needs to cut down his rebounds. that is odd that Paquet was turning the puck over, he is normal good with the puck and at making decisions, though on occassion he will turn it over it is nothing normally of an issue????

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
WOW

I thought that Lavasseur was a shoe in from all i've heard about this kid. This will definately hurt his draft status for next year. Iam pretty mad that Nick Dranzenovic didn't make it aswell. He seemed like a good fiesty player who had some offensive in him. Not some 6"3 plug who can barely skate. and Paquet should be there FOR SURE

I don't know why Kyle Lamb didn't make it either...... damnnnn

We need Latendrese

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
ktownhockey said:
WOW

I thought that Lavasseur was a shoe in from all i've heard about this kid. This will definately hurt his draft status for next year. Iam pretty mad that Nick Dranzenovic didn't make it aswell. He seemed like a good fiesty player who had some offensive in him. Not some 6"3 plug who can barely skate. and Paquet should be there FOR SURE

We need Latendrese

I dont think it will hurt it too much. This tournement is in August, that gives scouts 300 days to see him.

leondias

Aug 1, 2004
Thermopylae
ktownhockey said:
WOW

We need Latendrese

Lamb was neck and neck with Scott Jackson for worst defensemen there. At least jackson is big.
Dranzenovic was robbed I agree. I think you should see some of the camp before saying someone whould be there for sure.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
I guess we can debate this for days, but why are we sending Crosby to what is basically a useless summer camp for our U 20 team when he can go over and play against the best U 18's from around the world and maybe win a gold medal for his country? I really don't agree with Hockey Canada's logic on this one. We're purposely NOT sending our best players to international events out of fear of one of our players being too good? Does not make much sense to me.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
leondias said:
Lamb was neck and neck with Scott Jackson for worst defensemen there. At least jackson is big.
Dranzenovic was robbed I agree. I think you should see some of the camp before saying someone whould be there for sure.

Leondias, I take it that you were at the camp and watched every scrimmage and practice, right?

Who in your opinion were the top three forwards and defensemen?

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Oh and do the people in charge of this thing actually expect us to believe that there are NO french speaking players good enough to be among the top 13 forwards, top 7 defencemen, or top 2 goaltenders in this country? Hockey Canada is getting pretty pathetic in their selection process imo.

db23

Only one player from Quebec on the team. Is the quality of players in the province declining?

Edit - No Quebec born players on the team. Bourdon is from N.B. :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

stella

May 10, 2004
U-18

watched the week in Calgary, they missed out on Merkley or Kaye they are the only physical presence the team would of had. Drazy should also of been there

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
Only one player from Quebec on the team. Is the quality of players in the province declining?

No, Anyone West of Quebec is giving more an oppurtunity in my book. Quebecers especially are type cast as "heartless softies" and no one can deny that the people who pick the team prejudge a lot of them.

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
How does a player like Setoguchi make it over guys like Merkley, Drazenovic and Kaye... COMPLETE ROBBERY for the those players! Setoguchi is not and will never be a top prospect. OVER RATED!!

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Was Latendresse injured or something or did he just not make it?

Good to see Russell there. I really liked what I saw of him during the Memorial Cup.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
db23 said:

Quebec has a ridiculously low birth rate, there're just less Quebec-born players around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad