Final Results: Shootout- Yes or No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'd like to see the three point win tried.

If coaches had that type of incentive, they could start looking for ways to open up the game and take advantage of the rule.

Scarlet Jaspar

I'm on the fence. I remember being on the edge of my seat when I saw a shootout between South Korea & Spain in the 2002 World Cup, but I can't imagine a regular season hockey game having that kind of drama to it. Heck, unless it was a Playoff Game 7, I can't imagine it'd feel the same. I just think they would probably seem "tacked on" to the game. I do credit them for trying to find a way to get rid of ties though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Shoot-outs are stupid. If you want to attract more fans by doing something like this, then you might as well go all the way: KY Jelly midget wrestling. :eek: Now that would definately make the Sportscenter top 10. :handclap:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Benton Fraser said:
No and yes.... I don't really like it, but I can see how it would attract new fans to the game which I do like...
Why? Are there people out there saying, "I'm not a fan of the NHL, but if they have a shootout, I will follow it religiously."

I highly doubt that new fans would out number fans that might be disenchanted by extreme changes to the rules.

As for ties, I don't like it when my team ties, but I downright hate it when my team losses. The league sure isn't going to scrap losses. THere are times when a team loses and the announcer says that it's a shame that one of these teams had to lose. There are times when teams compete, on the whole, evenly in a game.

chicpea*

Shoot-outs are for bush leagues and tournaments - and even there they're a lame way to end a good game. I think we all know why this is even being considered, though I'm too polite to say it.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The esteemed posters at Hockey's Future have spoken. NHL rules committee, take note, we will not stand idly by while you add silly frills to our great game.!!

Thanks to all who voted, no matter which side you're on, it's great to have your input!!!

acr*

I watched the P-Bruins/Wolfpack game tonight, and the shootout didn't do justice to the game at all. Providence played just as well as Hartford all game long, but the pack go home with an extra standings point because of a trivial offensive drill at the end. It sucks for a goalie like Hannu Toivonen who was so good the whole game with his team in front of him supporting him, and has to do it all by himself with no defense in the SO

There's a reason why the acronym for Shootout Losses in the goalie stat column is S...O....L
...and you know what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad