GDT: Final Pre-season game: San Jose Karlssons @ Vegas Other-Karlsson | 5pm PT | NHL Network

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
San Jose should trade the 4th defenceman for an upgrade among forwards.

With Karlsson on the team, like 25-28 minutes per game gets eaten up by him alone.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Check my join date. I was here before then as well; I was a fan in the Nabokov days. I really think this difference is overstated.

In the regular season, Niemi and Jones were both slightly above league average goaltenders. Niemi was notably above average in 2013 when he was a legitimate Vezina candidate. When considering their heavy workload on a year after year basis, their numbers become a bit more flattering; they were solidly in the upper echelon of starting goaltenders.

In the playoffs, however, Niemi was terrible, while Jones has so far been very good. One great regular season from Niemi and 3 solid regular season runs from Jones are really the real difference between the two.

I'm sorry, but if you honestly think that after watching Niemi between the pipes, especially the last year or two for us, was not 100% more nerve wracking then watching Jones at any time with us, then I honestly do not know what to say, I would be flabbergasted.

You may have an argument that they were statistically more similar than different, but the pucker factor with Niemi was miles beyond Jones. Heck maybe Niemi is the sole reason I dont freak out about Jones like some of you do.

Jones over Niemi 10/10 aiaec.

While his reaction speed isn't elite, it's rare you find Jones not squared up to the shot. Positionally, he is about as solid as they come. In both reaction time, and positioning, Niemi was atrocious. But, hey... What a workaholic. When you also take their playoff performances as Sharks into consideration, the gap between these two only widens.

Could not agree more. Every single goal last game, Jones was in position every time, he just could not, or did not react in time to fast well placed shots.

Some see that as horrible goaltending, where I saw it as horrible defense. Jones could have played better last game, but its asinine to complain about a goalie, when the team in front of him was playing as atrociously as they were.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Yeah, Niemi would always let in absolute back breakers at the worst times, like right at the end of a well played period or right at the beginning where we have the lead. I think after all those years kinda messed with the teams mentality, as whenever Jones would be holding a shut out, they wouldn't play hard for him in the last 5 mins, and let one in by sloppy defense.

Jones was known for shut outs as a back up, and could be the shut out monster if Sharks fight for him. I don't have any negative thing to say about him, all I noticed is he gets tired during the season grind, but I don't mind as PDB excels at preparing a team for the playoffs, and that's where you can count on him to show up. All I care about.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Jones is the first fundamentally sound goalie the Sharks have had that I can even remember. Is almost strange to watch. Like something is off.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
San Jose should trade the 4th defenceman for an upgrade among forwards.

With Karlsson on the team, like 25-28 minutes per game gets eaten up by him alone.

Nah. I like our forwards as it is and Braun isn't going to pull in some superstar center that would make it worth it. The only position up front that may need addressing is 3C but Suomela so far is earning that spot.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Nah. I like our forwards as it is and Braun isn't going to pull in some superstar center that would make it worth it. The only position up front that may need addressing is 3C but Suomela so far is earning that spot.

I agree, we need a #1c only, anything else is just a waste of assets. Though, we did get EK65 for peanuts, I'm not exactly expecting lightning to strike twice this year. Still, if one is available, and Braun + whomever is of interest to that team, I'd likely make that move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad