Final Olympic qualifications in Kloten, Riga and Klagenfurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr4105.htm

France doesn't have any pressure as we are supposed to be the outsiders. Anyway, France beat Ukraine, while Ukraine is the favourite of the tournament with Austria. Now let's hope we'll be able to win the other games !

France is not expected to score a lot but still we manage to score four goals. I didn't see the game but I hope Huet will improve his game. If we score four goals in a game we should be able to win with him at his best.

nyr34

Feb 28, 2002
Rochester, NY
I saw the Poland-Belarus game...

Very solid first period and final six minutes by Belarus; Poland pretty much owned the game from 20:00 until 54:00, as Belarus looked relaxed after going up 2-0 early.

1st Belarussian goal was a 3rd attempt rebound shot.

2nd Belarussian goal was a slapper from the blue-line by Salei on a 5 on 3.

The 1st Polish goal was a result of a bad play by the Belarussian goaltender, as the puck was dumped in, he tapped it with his stick to his right skate, and he then kicked it with his left skate in front of an empty net, where Czerkawski slammed it home.

The 2nd Polish goal was very similar to the first Belarussian goal (3rd attempt rebound shot), and was on the PP.

The 3rd Belarussian goal was a pretty goal as the shooter was about 5 feet to the right of Jaworski and he hit the top corner.

Sorry about the descriptions, I'm not much of a writer. :)

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Austrians played real good against Kazachstan last night. Kazachstan had just a few good chances, but Claus Dalpiaz played solid in goal for Austria.

Most austrian fans got a first glimpse of Thomas Vanek's talents :)

Player of the night for Austria was Lulea forward Thomas Koch with 2 goals.

With a similar effort tonight, they should be able to beat France.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
Live stream from Austria-France match:

TW1

The same channel shows all Austria games live.

France leading 1-0 after 1st period.

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
Come on Frenchies, even though it's the French-Canadian Bordeleau who is leading the way (another goal for him in the first), I'll take that win in Austria anyday !!!

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
Huet is definitely hot. He has stopped a couple of good shots, so far he's decisive. France allows too much penalties...

And this is the end of the second period. France leads 1-0.

Allez la France !!

FrenchKheldar

May 11, 2004
Atlanta
No way we can qualify with the goal average, and that's assuming we win the last game.. It's gonna be tough so GO UKRAINE :)

Anyway, good performance in Austria for France, I hope they can build on these games and be more consistent in the following years. I wish Treille had been released by the baby Bruins, I don't think he has been...

Last edited:

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
Treille hasn't been released by Providence. It's a shame, he could have been really useful to the team. Though, France has a very good tournament. They were not supposed to be second so far, and above all they were not supposed to hold Austria.

Now let's just hope a defeat of Austria... Ukraine won't have any pressure, their tournament has been disappointing so far, they'll want to win their last game, especially against the favorite.

And France will have to win against Kazahkstan...

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Did some players have trouble getting released for this event? Ukraine have no Karpenko, Fedotenko, Varlamov, Khristich etc. Antropov did not play for the Kazakhs although that may be by choice. Treille did not get released for France. Players should always be released for international duty. The arrogance of club teams that think they are bigger than the game.

Sven

Jul 15, 2002
Germany
Visit site
Word!

Though I do understand, that the ones who pay the player ( and it's the player's choice to go there ) want them to play for their clubs, there should be simply more cooperation between IIHF and the northern american leagues. But no way I see any chance to get this done.

The German National Team simply needs players like Seidenberg, Ehrhoff and Marcel Goc. And it's only due to the Lock Out, that we will be able to have Sturm, Hecht, Kölzig on the team for the Championships.

It's nice to promote NA-Hockey on other continents, but the best way would be to let the "local heroes" take part. In Europe, the national teams have way more importance to the sport.

Sorry, seems a little bit off topic in this thread. Had to be said anyway :)

Go Huet.....plays for Mannheim!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So what are all the scenarios for qualifying to the olympics.

Sum

Nov 16, 2003
St Etienne, France
Visit site
Ukraine beats Austria 4-3 ! :eek: I must say that I'm very surprised. I didn't expect a defeat, what's more it seems the Austrians have completely lost their hockey and their nerves in this game, even if they tried a lot. They were trailing during sixty minutes. It looks like Austria has yielded to the pressure in front of their public.

Anyway, this defeat is a great news for France. The French will have to win their game against Kazakhstan tonight. They need a win or a tie to get their ticket to Torino...

Allez les bleus !!

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Incredible. With -2 goal differential it was all about winning the right games and an Austrian crash. I would have said the Kazaks would be 4th in the group. The old Koreshkov brothers will be back in the Olympics 8 years after the last success as they made it to the final 8. Will Antropov join them in Torino?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I STILL remember when I didnt go to school and watched us lose to them 3-2 IIRC. SAD, VERY SAD. And we are playing them AGAIN in Torino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->