Final NHL Proposal Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
DR said:
well these are risks they are already facing. the point is a whole bunch of new risks are about to show up for hte owners. what if the owners were counting on the players caving and they players dont ?

i think the owners are in for the next round of hurting.

round 1: owners lost 1.5 billion in 10 years
round 2: players lost 1b so far (and 1.5 if the season is cancelled) in 1 year
round 3: owners start losing their franchises.

owners need to put the honey down, the players have already shown the resolve that has cost them 1 BILLION dollars on one year.

of all the offers we have heard, not one would be difficult for the players to say no to.

dr

Again your lack of logic shines through...

When owners start losing their franchises, players will lose money permanently.

If the value of the franchise is $100M and the payroll is $35M, already in 3 years players have lost more money than the owner of the franchise. Think about it...

If I were a 3rd - 4th line player in Pens or Canes I'd be quite worried right now and calling Goodenow to make the deal sooner than later.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ryz said:
If owners lose franchises the players lose the jobs. Where is the sense in that?? Not to mention most of the owners are billionaires, losing their team means a dent in their pocket. If 4 teams fold, chances are that 80+ lower end NHL hockey players are flipping burgers and bagging groceries.

The 80 fringe nhlers won't be flipping burgers.... maybe a few echlers will....

4 franchises folding might be what the nhl needs. suddenly the supply of players will exceed the demand thus lowering salaries across the board.....

as for the pressure being on the owners now, once this is settled properly, the owners can make their money forever. if they miss this years playoffs, they'll just keep the doors closed for the start of next year when their loss potential is greatest. the players can never make these paydays back nor can they stop their own biological clocks. they've already lost 8 cheques (i think). if it's not settled in time to save this season, they'll likely kiss away 5 more this year and 6 or 7 more next year before the owners decide it's time to start taliking again ... the bulk of these guys haven't been paid since april. quick show of hands ... how many of you can maintain you're current lifestyle without pay for around 21 or 22 months??? i'm sure the ratios probably close to the same for the players, & it can't be good for their ego!!!!!

several teams this year just took a deposit on season tix. the deposit would likely be a smaller $$$ value next year ... partially as the owners try to gain goodwill by lowering ticket prices & saying we're fighting this fight to make your entertainment affordable......

jmo........

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Tick-tock on the biological clock--for players.

Loss of revenue for one year of a limited career is devestating for the majority of NHLers. Not so much for the top tier guys who should have salted away some of their mega salaries. But the middle and lower guys, who live year to year for league average and below average salaries. They are always on the bubble anyway and now minus one year (maybe two) of revenue. The next crop of prospects are coming.

No way that this lock-out hurts owners more than players, just no way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad