Final Mock Draft of the Year - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Here is the second and final round of my 2004 mock draft.

The first round can be found here. Brock's First Round

31. Pittsburgh Penguins: John Lammers
Lammers is a big wild card for the draft, specifically because his hockey related motives have been questioned after the whole hold out, trade enforcement ordeal. But he’s a very talented forward. When he’s on, he’s a solid two way presence who’s got very underrated natural offensive skill. If the consistency can be fixed, then the Penguins have a player. The Penguins have selected a WHL player in the first three rounds the past 4 drafts.

32. Chicago Blackhawks: Bryan Bickell
Bickell is a very interesting player. He’s big, has the ability to play a very physical game, will show creative offensive skills. But he only shows it 50% of the time (and that 50% is actually giving him a bit to much credit). But you can’t look past a player like Bickell who brings all the intangibles you want in a future powerfoward, despite not putting the intangibles together completing the puzzle quite yet.

33. Washington Capitals: Johannes Salmonsson
Salmonsson, despite having shoulder surgery, has remained consistently around the 30 mark on most draft lists. He’s a solid two way winger, who can drive hard to the net and has solid puck handling skills. The Capitals scouting crew has been no stranger to the nation of Sweden over the past few drafts.

34. Dallas Stars: Kyle Kluberantz
The Stars could definitely use some re-stocking of their defensive system, especially after the failed emergence of 2002 first rounder Martin Vagner. Kluberantz is an interesting offensive defenseman who plays for the Green Bay Gramblers of the USHL. He’s headed to play for the Badgers of Wisconsin next year.

35. Phoenix Coyotes: Kiril Lyamin
The book on Lyamin is that he’s a solid two way defenseman, who displays solid characteristics to be a great stay at home defenseman. These are the ones who really catch my eye, because often these Russian defenseman get labeled stay at home defenseman because of the system they play in. The most recent example being Maxim Kondratiev. The Yotes can make an interesting selection here.

36. New York Rangers: Adam Pineault
Oh, Mr. Pineault what happened? A terrible year for the formerly considered top 10 pick. He didn’t get much of a chance with Boston College, so now he’s left for the CHL where he’ll be able to progress like he should have this year. Pineault is a true gamble pick, but he’s got serious power forward, even franchise forward potential. Next year is huge for him.

37. New York Rangers: Jeff Schultz
Schultz is a big project defenseman who plays for the Calgary Hitmen of the WHL. Despite his 6’6 frame, he’s actually more of a smooth offensive defenseman, rather then a physically imposing crease clearer. But he has potential to evolve physically once he gains more confidence in his abilities, not to mention adds more strength. The Rangers can take a gamble on a big defenseman.

38. Carolina Huricanes: Adam Berti
Another interesting prospect, Berti lost nearly all of his development last year when he had knee surgery. This year he displayed many positive things, especially as a budding power forward. However inconsistency plagued him heavily, as it often does to potential power forwards. Next year, his second back from recovery, should be a tell tale sign on which direction his future development will do.

39. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: David Shantz
Shantz is a favourite of mine for this draft. I think he’s heavily underrated by many here. He’s a phenomenal goalie who stood on his head all year long for the Ice Dogs, especially in the playoffs where he practically carried them on his back. I’m not to sure what else he had to do to catch people’s eye.

40. Atlanta Thrashers: Enver Lisin
Lisin slips a considerable amount, simply because GM’s are unaware of whether he’s simply a speed-demon with limited offensive potential. His numbers this year were sub-par, as was his performance at the Under 18’s. But if his skills develop to match his speed, then he could be a solid player.

41. Chicago Blackhawks: Jakub Sindel
Sindel is one of the top pure snipers available for this year’s draft. He’s quick and he can burry the puck. The knock against him seems to be the lack of a rounded game, and inconsistency. He also takes a bit of a fall, as most scouting agencies seem to have him rated just inside the first round.

42. Minnesota Wild: Chad Painchaud
Painchaud is a energetic sparkplug who plays with Patrick O Sullivan on the Mississauga Ice Dogs. He’s not the biggest, but he works hard, he’s quick and his offensive game improved ten fold over the course of his first OHL season. Thus his rise in nearly every draft ranking available on the market.

43. Buffalo Sabres: Lukas Kaspar
Kaspar is a very raw offensive player, who has all the talent but is very unseasoned. His willingness to get involved in all assets of the game has been questioned. Potentially has could be a very good offensive player though because he possesses all the intangibles. The Sabres seem to generally look to Europe for their high octane offensive forward selections, where as they look to North America for their hard working, well rounded forward selections.

44. Edmonton Oilers: Johan Fransson
Fransson may be a year older then the majority of the prospects in the 2004 draft, but that doesn’t make him a less attractive selection. He opted out of last year’s draft after an injury plagued season in the SEL. This year he established himself in the Elite League and had a pretty good rookie season. He’s a solid two way defenseman who possesses raw offensive skills.

45. Chicago Blackhawks: Kevin Porter
Porter is a slick skating, offensive centerman who played with the US Under 18 developmental team this past season. He’s currently committed to Michigan. He’s got very good offensive potential, he’s just very raw. The Hawks can afford to make a gamble selection with one of their several second round selections.

46. New York Islanders: Blake Wheeler
Wheeler, a high schooler from Minnesota, has seen his draft stock shoot up the charts over the past few months. He’s a big, tall winger who oozes with pro potential. The Islanders make this selection hoping Wheeler can develop into a strong power forward, who definitely could possess the skills to be a dominant factor.

47. St.Louis Blues: Mark Fistric
Fistric is a rock solid, stay at home defenseman who physically punishes opponents. He is a pretty good skater and actually possesses a raw offensive game which could slowly emerge over the next few years. Seems to be a solid bet for an NHL career, its just at what capacity.

48. New York Rangers: Tim Brent
The Rangers nab the re-entering Brent who assistant captained the Canadian World Junior effort. He has an outstanding year in the OHL with St. Mikes and is future NHL captain material. He may not have first line potential, but he’s still a very capable offensive player and gives the Rags some heart and soul to work with (if they can sign him of course)

49. Florida Panthers: Dane Byers
The Panthers elect to go with the agitating Byers, from Prince Albert in the WHL. Byers didn’t exactly showcase much of an offensive game this year, but he’s a very hard worker, he hits with the best of them and he’s an excellent skater. He got off to an excellent start offensively this year, but eventually cooled off. With time, his offensive game should improve.

50. Chicago Blackhawks: Juraj Gracik
Gracik, a Slovakian winger, is an interesting package. At 6’3, he can be a physical presence and is not afraid to get his nose dirty. He’s also got good hands and some real raw skills. He had a very good year in the Slovakian junior league. A late riser up the draft charts.

51. Colorado Avalanche: Oscar Hedman
Hedman seemed to see his stock fall over the past month of the season, for reasons simply unknown to me. He’s a bigger guy, a solid two way defenseman who has very interesting raw offensive skills. Throughout the season, it seemed like a deadlock between Fransson and Hedman for the top Swedish defenseman. Fransson appears to have won.

52. Phoenix Coyotes: Roman Tesliuk
Tesliuk is a slick skating, two way defenseman who plays for Kamloops in the WHL. His draft ranking seems to be all over the map, as he’s absent from the THN’s guide, but as high as the top 40 at Mckeens. He was very impressive at the CHL Top Prospect’s game and showcased that he might have some solid offensive potential, because of his skating and other attributes.

53. Phoenix Coyotes: Evan Mcgrath
The Yotes roll the dice on Mcgrath who saw his stock plummet all the way from potential top 5 selection, to potential 3rd round selection. He’s got lots of skill, but a lot of concerns were raised this year regarding his willingness to take a hit to make a play, or his consistency. He just didn’t step up his game this year and he had many chances to do so. Mcgrath still has lots of potential, possibly first line center at the NHL level. He just needs to put in more effort.

54. Pittsburgh Penguins: Victor Oreskovich
Alright maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part for the two Oakville kids to go back to back (being from Oakville, just thought I’d add that in). But Oreskovich is a big winger playing with Green Bay in the USHL, and heading to Notre Dame next season. He’s got good hands, can skate, and plays an inconsistent physical game. He does have some great potential, as he was named the OPJHL’s Top NHL prospect last season. Pittsburgh can roll the dice on a potential power forward.

55. Ottawa Senators: Keith Yandle
Yandle is a purely offensive defenseman who put up some extremely impressive numbers with the highly regarded Cushing Academy this year. He’ll be heading to New Hampshire next year. The Sens have some decent depth defensively (in terms of prospects), but Yandle gives them a purely offensive guy who could pay big dividends in the long term future.

56. Carolina Hurricanes: Martins Karsums
Karsums, while only 5’10, is an extremely talented offensive player. But he also plays with a chip on his shoulder and won’t back down from anyone. If he were taller, he’d be challenging for a much higher draft position, but we hear that one a lot don’t we. Dominated the b pool for the WJC’s for Latvia and is currently playing for Moncton of the QMJHL.

57. Washington Capitals: Kyle Wharton
Wharton is a guy who had a very mediocre regular season, but really enhanced his draft ranking with a solid CHL playoff performance. He’s drawn many comparisons to Wade Redden, as a slick skating, pretty decent in every area defenseman. Washington just keeps loading up after there many picks on Day one.

58. San Jose Sharks: Vaclav Meidl
Meidl is often plagued by inconsistency, as some games he’ll be a solid force, and others he’ll be an invisible body. Meidl is a solid agitator with better then average skills. Some scouts question his hockey sense, but there is plenty of room for improvement. San Jose could use a prospect like Meidl who enjoys mixing things up a bit.

59. Tampa Bay Lightning: Sergei Ogrondnikov
Ogrondnikov is a speedy little Russian winger who really impressed scouts at the Under 18’s. He is an excellent offensive player who possesses top notch skills in nearly every area. His size and strength remain the vocal points of concern, but Tampa really doesn’t have a forward currently with Ogrondnikov’s mysterious offensive upside.

60. Boston Bruins: Geoff Paukovich
Paukovich is a very capable power forward prospect who played for the United States Under 18 development team. At 6’4 and over 210, Paukovich is an intimidating physical presence, but remains a skillful offensive talent. He’s committed to the University of Denver next year, and is a very interesting raw pick that Boston can sit back and wait upon.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
ducksflytogether said:
For the last time, the Ducks don't need a goalie. I'd take McGrath, Brent, Tesliuk, Kaspar, Lisin, Hedman, and probably Wheeler over him in the second round.

The Ducks haven't made a real goaltending selection since Bryzgalov. Gerber is going to walk and Bryzgalov is the likely back up. Leaving Eddie Ferhi (if he's even signed with Anaheim and not on an AHL contract) as the only goaltender in the entire organization not in the NHL. The Ducks are a prime suspect to take a goalie this year, in fact i'd nearly bet a lot of money on them taking one in between rounds 1-9 simply because the organization has zero depth there. If you don't see that, then you are truly blind.

Not to mention, the same thing some intelligent posters tried to tell you in the last thread. Pretty much no team in the NHL needs goaltending prospects. The NHL is STOCKED full of quality young netminders. But, goaltenders will be drafted none the less.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Very good job, with some interesting picks. Like you said, after the top 2, there are no certainties. Anaheim might end up taking 3 goalies for all we know. I think it's going to be a fun draft.

thestonedkoala

I'm sorry but Wheeler over whoever and before you disagree...

Danny Irmen. The Wild moved up to grab him and there is some speculation (mainly by me :D) that the Wild could move up and grab him in the upper levels of the 2nd round.

The Wild also like size and he is a huge PR move for the Wild. They like the kids from Minnesota.

degroat*

Good stuff, Brock.

A couple things... After looking at both rounds it seems that you prefer forwards over defensemen. You have Green, Fransson, and Hedman all going pretty much lower than their rankings seem to suggest that they will.

As far as the Blues picks, if they let Green past them I'd be pretty pissed. I'd also prefer them take Hedman in the 2nd round than Fistric, but if they had gotten Green in the 1st I'd see them trying to go forward in the 2nd round.

The Spaz

May 15, 2002
PA
Visit site
I could live with our 1st and and 2nd choices however we seem to be getting very skilled players but not physical at all something we need more of.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The Stars also have the 56th, but regardless, nice work..

I do prefer Fransson over Kyle Kluberantz, but that's mainly because I don't know him too well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Nice work Brock. One of the few quibbles I have is the absence of David Booth. He will be a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Brock said:
The Ducks are a prime suspect to take a goalie this year, in fact i'd nearly bet a lot of money on them taking one in between rounds 1-9 simply because the organization has zero depth there.

1-9 is a pretty broad baseline. I'd say no earlier than round 3 though. They don't need a franchise goalie, merely some depth. They have a severe lack of quality on the blueline though and I would imagine Murray will address that with either their 1st or 2nd rounder or both this year.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It is likely that the Caps will take at least two defensemen with their first four picks through #33. Valabik makes complete sense, and Graham is possible if on the board, but if Lyamin is still on the board by #33, I expect they will grab him. That or perhaps Schultz or Tesliuk.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Drake1588 said:
It is likely that the Caps will take at least two defensemen with their first four picks through #33. Valabik makes complete sense, and Graham is possible if on the board, but if Lyamin is still on the board by #33, I expect they will grab him. That or perhaps Schultz or Tesliuk.
Graham's a forward. There's also Fransson or Hedman, who would both be pretty good picks.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Brock said:
55. Ottawa Senators: Keith Yandle
Yandle is a purely offensive defenseman who put up some extremely impressive numbers with the highly regarded Cushing Academy this year. He’ll be heading to New Hampshire next year. The Sens have some decent depth defensively (in terms of prospects), but Yandle gives them a purely offensive guy who could pay big dividends in the long term future.

I love the pick Brock....but....Yandle opted out this year.

You might want to change that.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Graham's a forward. There's also Fransson or Hedman, who would both be pretty good picks.
Afraid I was not clear. I know he's a forward, I'm saying that he's one player they might take anyway in that slot. If they were to do so, though, I do not think they will take two forwards in that area, and would opt for a defenseman rather than the Swede soon afterwards. He has the Caps taking Ovechkin, Valabik, Graham, Salmonsson. I think two of those four, at least, will end up being defensemen.

The Caps do have some decent scouting in Sweden now with Calle Johansson, who was scouting most of the year before signing with Toronto. I expect they'd look at Fransson with a pick deferring to their Swedish drafting proclivities, though.

Last edited:

jt2004

Apr 18, 2004
Blake Wheeler will be gone by pick 35. On that I would bet my Wild season tickets.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
good job with part 2

i like the pens picks, but i would nt be surprised to see them take a chance on tim brent with the 31st pick -- or another big forward like kaspar, etc

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I really enjoyed these Brock, very very nicely done!

I agree with your reasoning on the Ducks taking a goalie, but as mentioned by another Anaheim poster, I don't think it will happen in the first two rounds. Then again, the idea of stocking with young goalies does have merit too...
Either way, I see Anaheim taking a defenseman and a forward in the first two rounds.
Personally, I'd like to use that pick on Tim Brent again...

Just a note:
Ferhi is signed to an NHL contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad