Final Media/Scout Top 10 for 2018 (OHL players)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
OHL Prospects: Final Media/Scout Poll for the 2018 NHL Draft

The NHL draft is now only a few weeks away, so it's time to conclude our yearly media/scout poll.

For comparison's sake, here are the preliminary (from November) and the midseason (from February) consensus lists.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/11/preliminary-mediascout-poll-for-2017.html
Preliminary List
Midseason List

It's always interesting to note some of the major changes/trends from the beginning of the year to the end. Ryan McLeod and Ryan Merkley are the two most notable "fallers" from the beginning of the year. Both started the season in the consensus top 3 from the OHL, but now find themselves ranked 8th and 9th (respectively). Meanwhile, Rasmus Sandin has seen himself rise from 10th, to 8th, to the top 5 as scouts have grown to appreciate his mistake free game. Additionally, Liam Foudy is a massive riser, as he climbs into the top 10 after not receiving a single vote in the preliminary or midseason polls.

At this point, the number of OHL players taken in the first round remains a total mystery. I could see as many as 9, or as little as 5 going on the first day. And, as always, the depth is strong which should see the OHL with close to, or over 40 players taken.

As always, it's important to note the contributors, as without them and their terrific insight, this article does not exist. For the final list, the following helped out:

Corey Pronman - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@coreypronman)
Dominic Tiano - Writer for The OHL Writers (@dominictiano)
Dylan Galloway - OHL Scout for Future Considerations (@dylangalloway_)
Peter Kneulman - Provides OHL coverage at OHL Writer (@PeterKneulman)
Mike Morreale - Staff writer for NHL.com (@mikemorrealeNHL)
Ryan Kennedy - Associate Senior Writer for The Hockey News(@THNRyanKennedy)
Peter Harling - Managing Editor of Dobber Prospects (@pharling)
Scott Wheeler - NHL Prospects Writer for TheAthletic (@scottcwheeler)
Steve Kournianos - Founder of The Draft Analyst(@TheDraftAnalyst)
Mark Scheig - OHL writer for The Hockey Writers (@THWMark)
Tony Ambrogio - PA Announcer for the Mississauga Steelheads & TSN editor (@Tony_Ambrogio)
Chris Peters - NHL Prospects Writer for ESPN (@chrismpeters)
Grant McCagg - President of Recrutes Hockey (@grantmccagg)
Steve Clark - Play by play voice of the Niagara IceDogs (@ClarkPlaybyPlay)
Mark Seidel - Scouting Director for NACS Hockey (@MarkSeidel)
Cam Robinson - Writer/Scout for Dobber Prospects (@CrazyJoeDavola3)

Two Anonymous OHL Scouts

and of course...myself (@BrockOtten)

Here's the list. Check the link above for all the goodies (aka comments), in addition to all the HM's.

1. Andrei Svechnikov
2. Evan Bouchard
3. Barrett Hayton
4. Rasmus Sandin
5. Akil Thomas
6. Serron Noel
7. Ty Dellandrea
8. Ryan McLeod
9. Ryan Merkley
10. Liam Foudy

Happy to answer any questions.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dellandrea and McShane are underrated, IMO.

Durzi is very intriguing, I hope my team picks him.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
@Brock

Thanks for posting. Two guys I seem higher on and really like are Dellandrea and Foudy. I think they are better than their ranking and could see a team grab them in the 20's potentially

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
High boom High bust pick from this draft ? Was looking for your stuff @Brock
Thanks as always.

Well I guess you have to say that's Merkley. Playmaking ability is through the roof because of his skating, puck control, and vision. But can he overcome all the other things to be a solid player 5 on 5? I don't think he's going to be a Marc Andre Bergeron type. He's either going to be a top 4 pmd or in Europe/AHL.

I think Semyon Der Arguchintsev is the other one that's been talked about a lot. Great puck skill and creativity, but the physical gifts are absent. Is it because he's such a late birthday and with maturation will come dominating playmaking ability? Or is he just not that great of an NHL prospect?

I think Alec Regula is one of my personal favourites in this category. Such a raw defender. Length, skating ability, flashes great offensive and defensive potential. This guy could easily be the next Colton Parayko. But patience will be required. Minus the big shot...there are a lot of similarities between Regula and Ryan Sproul when he was a draft eligible player. And Sproul didn't really work out because his hockey sense and defensive ability never really came together. I'm not sure there will be an in between for a guy like Regula. He's either going to turn into this terrific two-way defender prospect or he'll end up being a career tweener.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for sharing this. Will be interesting to see how many of these guys go in the first 20-25 picks. Another banner yr. for prospects in the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad