Prospect Info: Final HFDevils Prospect Poll and Discussion

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'm not too concerned about Kerfoot.

Jacobs is the biggest faller.

Rykov should be like 5-7 spots higher.

Bastian should be in the spot where Jacobs is.

Santini should have been #2 and McLeod #3. Draft position effected that choice, but you have to remember Santini was ranked around #22 for the 2013 draft and that's among N.A. and Euro prospects. He just fell which happens to players in deep crafts. 2013 > 2016 draft wise.

I think after this draft, where we already have 9 picks and will probably add more picks, we'll have a hell of a prospect pool. Even if we don't get the respect from this site that we deserve in that department.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Good point, I'd put Appleby on the list too since he wasn't ranked in the summer.

Jacobs, White, Coleman, and Pietila are fallers. I'll throw Blackwood, Wedgewood and Kujawinski in there for losing development time to injury. If I had to do look at it now:

Graduated: Zacha, Wood, (Lappin is close but I don't know if we see him again this year, Wood is here to stay)

1. Steven Santini
2. Michael McLeod
3. John Quenneville
4. Nathan Bastian
5. Blake Speers
6. Nick Lappin
7. Joe Blandisi
8. Joey Anderson
9. Mackenzie Blackwood
10. Brandon Gignac
11. Scott Wedgewood
12. Yegor Rykov
13. Alexander Kerfoot
14. Ken Appleby
15. Vojtech Mozik
16. Josh Jacobs
17. Mikhail Maltsev
18. Colton White
19. Blake Coleman
20. Jesper Bratt

Don't see what Coleman has done to fall. To me, he's going to be a reliable 4C. Jacobs might end up getting the Burlon treatment, but I think he's going to hover around 15-20 for the next few years but I wouldn't be surprised if he carves out a depth role down the line.

Bastian under no circumstance should be over Speers, in my opinion. I'd put Rykov way higher, take Lappin and Coleman off for age-reasons, and move Bastian down a few spots.

1. Santini
2. McLeod
3. Quenneville
4. Speers
5. Rykov (prospect-wise he's here IMO, but given his uncertain future, I can see him getting kicked down couple notches)
6. Blandisi
7. Anderson
8. Gignac
9. Blackwood (this is more to do with the 2016 draft then him falling, to me)
10. Pietila (upside is low, but his floor is pretty high)
11. Mozik (same as Pietila)
12. Wedgewood
13. Appleby (I like Appleby better than Wedgewood, but I have to give Wedgewood the benefit of the doubt after last year)
14. Maltsev
15. Seney (I like the chances of him carving out a Sheary/Rust role on this team the way we're trending)
16. Kerfoot (just not sure the upside past an top-end AHLer is there)
17. White (Thought he had promise but this year has been disappointing to me)
18. Bratt (Love the idea of the pick, but he hasn't take the next step to legitimize himself compared to similar player like Gaudreau; with smaller, skilled forwards, they need to do that)
19. Jacobs
20. Cormier (goalies are tricky so I think he has the biggest potential upside of remaining players)

HM: Kujawinski

EDIT: Forgot Bastian, put him ahead of Anderson.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still like Mozik, but I can't believe how little time he has gotten, especially for a guy that (I'm assuming) was a Shero find and one of his first signings. Perhaps he was a Lou find, like Kalinin was.

Sucks he never got a look. I could see him returning back to the KHL next year, due to seemingly having no future here. I don't even think he got a game in this year, despite a call up earlier on.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I still like Mozik, but I can't believe how little time he has gotten, especially for a guy that (I'm assuming) was a Shero find and one of his first signings. Perhaps he was a Lou find, like Kalinin was.

Sucks he never got a look. I could see him returning back to the KHL next year, due to seemingly having no future here. I don't even think he got a game in this year, despite a call up earlier on.

Severson and Lovejoy have been healthy all year and Santini was ahead of him on the depth chart. Not too hard to figure out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Severson and Lovejoy have been healthy all year and Santini was ahead of him on the depth chart. Not too hard to figure out.

Why is Helgeson ahead of him? I realize they play different sides, but it hasn't stopped the current staff from playing guy's on their off side, both on D and on forward.

The fact that Helgeson has played 27 games in the last 2 years and Mozik has played 7, just makes my head hurt. Not to mention 0 games this year for Mozik and Helgeson has been on the roster for the better part of 2 months, quite a bit last year and Mozik must have been up for a week this year, with no games played at all.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What is everyone opinion of Colby Sissions?

Completely forgot about him. :laugh:

Probably would like to have seen more development from him this year, but he seems to be a late riser that could end up being a steal. Devils had to have seen a lot they liked from him for him to stick around as long as he did in training camp and get a contract.

sunnyvale

Apr 29, 2013
NJ
Completely forgot about him. :laugh:

Probably would like to have seen more development from him this year, but he seems to be a late riser that could end up being a steal. Devils had to have seen a lot they liked from him for him to stick around as long as he did in training camp and get a contract.

i know he is not a world beater but i think everyone forgot about him :laugh:. id put him ahead of white

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

as Quincey was playing rhd early in the season, it def was reasonable to question where Mozik, at 23 turning24 yrs old, is, or at least viewed by Shero, as a prospect.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
i know he is not a world beater but i think everyone forgot about him :laugh:. id put him ahead of white

After a very slow start on the stat sheet, White has shown solid progress this season over last.

Better #'s then Sissons, who actually started hot, and has leveled off since, though Sissons has as well shown progress this season over last.

Side note: where is Whites team mate d-man Conor Timmins seen as a potential draftee this upcoming year? 6 g's 40 a's in 53 games, a +36 which far and away leads the team. listed at 6'1" 180 lb's. rhd.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Don't see what Coleman has done to fall. To me, he's going to be a reliable 4C. Jacobs might end up getting the Burlon treatment, but I think he's going to hover around 15-20 for the next few years but I wouldn't be surprised if he carves out a depth role down the line.

Bastian under no circumstance should be over Speers, in my opinion. I'd put Rykov way higher, take Lappin and Coleman off for age-reasons, and move Bastian down a few spots.

1. Santini
2. McLeod
3. Quenneville
4. Speers
5. Rykov (prospect-wise he's here IMO, but given his uncertain future, I can see him getting kicked down couple notches)
6. Blandisi
7. Anderson
8. Gignac
9. Blackwood (this is more to do with the 2016 draft then him falling, to me)
10. Pietila (upside is low, but his floor is pretty high)
11. Mozik (same as Pietila)
12. Wedgewood
13. Appleby (I like Appleby better than Wedgewood, but I have to give Wedgewood the benefit of the doubt after last year)
14. Maltsev
15. Seney (I like the chances of him carving out a Sheary/Rust role on this team the way we're trending)
16. Kerfoot (just not sure the upside past an top-end AHLer is there)
17. White (Thought he had promise but this year has been disappointing to me)
18. Bratt (Love the idea of the pick, but he hasn't take the next step to legitimize himself compared to similar player like Gaudreau; with smaller, skilled forwards, they need to do that)
19. Jacobs
20. Cormier (goalies are tricky so I think he has the biggest potential upside of remaining players)

HM: Kujawinski

1)People did get pumped over Bastians strong start, he's had a solid season, but not the type of year that imo, would lead to a big jump up the charts. Him playing a fair amount of C is propably the most intriguing aspect of his season thus far. Now just fingers crossed on this knee.

2)Jacobs has certainly deserved a drop in the list, but I agree that he should not be knocked completely off. He's 20 yrs old, and as noted by Kowalsky, and from all the previous scouting reports he is a big kid who skates well. Kowalsky also noted it took some time to settle in, but he seems to have found a groove. He has a ton of work to do no doubt, but I think some have prematurely cast him off as a prospect. He's 20, we should not be doing that.

3)Noted White in a post above, but again, started super slow, and has been pretty good since. zero goals 2 assists a -7 in his first 12 games. 5 g's 20 a's +25 in the 38 games since.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
as Quincey was playing rhd early in the season, it def was reasonable to question where Mozik, at 23 turning24 yrs old, is, or at least viewed by Shero, as a prospect.

Quincey can play both sides and was playing his off-side in Detroit last year as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Quincey can play both sides and was playing his off-side in Detroit last year as well.

That's fine, but if Mozik can't beat out Quincey a guy picked up at the last minute, then what does that say about Mozik? What does it say that Shero felt the need to go out and sign Quincey?

If Mozik were 21, then it would be easier to ignore such a move, but he's 24, he had a full season in Albany under his belt entering this season.

Just reading the tea leaves here, but those are not encouraging signs.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Bastian has disappointed me this year. I expected more.

That said, I think we've gotten it out of McLeod. I think he can be a Derek Stepan type 50+ point center.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That's fine, but if Mozik can't beat out Quincey a guy picked up at the last minute, then what does that say about Mozik? What does it say that Shero felt the need to go out and sign Quincey?

If Mozik were 21, then it would be easier to ignore such a move, but he's 24, he had a full season in Albany under his belt entering this season.

Just reading the tea leaves here, but those are not encouraging signs.

Quincey was signed because he gave us a veteran to flip back and forth between LD/RD, play the PK, and is capable of playing heavier minutes in spot duty if needed. If Mozik and Santini weren't ready, Devils would to play LD on his right side and Merrill/Moore have looked awful at it last year.

Santini is a bigger factor in Mozik not getting a stint. I would definitely like to see him by the end of the year, but Lovejoy/Severson have been healthy all year which has hurt his chances.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Mississauga is having a weird season. They've exploded offensively lately, which just happens to coincide with Bastian taking a nasty knee-on-knee hit and being out of action the past 2 weeks. He's missing out on a lot of scoring.

Bastian got injured at a really unfortunate time, since his injury they're averaging over a goal per game more than they were at the beginning of the season. McLeod was at 39 in 36 prior to this time, he's had 12 in 6 since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad