World Cup: FINAL: France vs. Croatia, 7/15/2018

Who wins the World Cup?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Croatia just couldn’t capitalize. Champions score. Only losers say « oh look, we had more possession and play during this and this. » Bottom line is Croatia scored one real goal during the game and France scored 3 real goals (if you take away the PK).

It's not that simple. Again, the penalty broke the game. Asking to come back TWICE against this France is too much.

Either way, it's over now, no use going back and forth. France are not Greece 2004 or anything of the sort, noone was saying that.
They played their style to perfection, defending and countering, and they earned their World Cup win.
In the end, not their fault Pitana decided to give that penalty anyway.

The only thing I am salty about regarding the French is Griezmann's goal celebrations.
Is. He. That. Dumb.
And seeing his LeBron series of videos, apparently he is...

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Croatia just couldn’t capitalize. Champions score. Only losers say « oh look, we had more possession and play during this and this. » Bottom line is Croatia scored one real goal during the game and France scored 3 real goals (if you take away the PK).
You were lucky and not to be losing as a phantom foul lead to an own goal and a questionable pk which I don't it was lead to a second goal. Nothing to do with champions win the French had help froM the ref you won't admit this as your French but the whole world saw how they scored there 2 goals in the first half.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Well I am in France right now and I can assure you the incidents that happened are nothing out of the ordinary by French standards at least. Now maybe I'm just used to living in such a lawless country, I dunno...
I hope your celebrating and not rioting. Two people reported dead as well yikes.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
You were lucky and not to be losing as a phantom foul lead to an own goal and a questionable pk which I don't it was lead to a second goal. Nothing to do with champions win the French had help froM the ref you won't admit this as your French but the whole world saw how they scored there 2 goals in the first half.

Listen. You guys talk a lot about luck. Way too much. Bottom line is, yes it was a 50/50 free kick, but Croatia needs to keep playing and stop it. They were putrid all tournament on set pieces and it did them in again. You can’t just say, oh it shouldn’t have been a free kick to begin with bla bla. Stop the damn free kick. France was clinical all tournament on set pieces.

Also what about the 3rd and 4th goals?? Was that luck too? Those were magnificent counters and fantastic finishes. Beautiful passing and Croatia couldn’t stop it. Hernandez alone escaped his defender and fed Mbappe who striked it.

Also all that talk about Subacic being maybe the golden glove winner. And Ivan13 seeing it’s no luck they won all those PK’s because Subacic was so good...well he didn’t move all that much on those goals and was schooled.

This was France’s plan all along. Allow opponent to control possession and rely on strong defense to limit shots and chances and then be clinical on the best counter strike in the world. Game plan to the letter.

Billy Crawford

Dec 23, 2008
Paris...ish...
I hope your celebrating and not rioting. Two people reported dead as well yikes.
Did the American news tell you these deaths are related to riots? That' some BS.
One guy drove his bike on the wrong side of the highway and hit a car. Another drove his car into a tree while he was showing off. The 3rd one dove into a river but the river was only 50cm deep so he broke his neck. I think these deaths are all related to stupid celebrations but they have nothing to do with the crap some troublemakers have been pulling, and really pull every chance they get, like every new year's and such.

Reactions: maclean

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Listen. You guys talk a lot about luck. Way too much. Bottom line is, yes it was a 50/50 free kick, but Croatia needs to keep playing and stop it. They were putrid all tournament on set pieces and it did them in again. You can’t just say, oh it shouldn’t have been a free kick to begin with bla bla. Stop the damn free kick. France was clinical all tournament on set pieces.

Also what about the 3rd and 4th goals?? Was that luck too? Those were magnificent counters and fantastic finishes. Beautiful passing and Croatia couldn’t stop it. Hernandez alone escaped his defender and fed Mbappe who striked it.

Also all that talk about Subacic being maybe the golden glove winner. And Ivan13 seeing it’s no luck they won all those PK’s because Subacic was so good...well he didn’t move all that much on those goals and was schooled.

This was France’s plan all along. Allow opponent to control possession and rely on strong defense to limit shots and chances and then be clinical on the best counter strike in the world. Game plan to the letter.
I would say Subasic could have stopped both of these shots as neither in the corner. Subasic got wrong footed. I played goalkeeper so yes both shots could have been stopped. France were very dangerous in the second half and created some dangerous chances mainly through Mppae who is almost unstoppable on the counter. I don't think it was in France game plan to get totally pinned back in the first half and not create one dangerous counter attack. They got dominated the first half and executed there game plan in the second half after Croatia was chasing the game.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Did the American news tell you these deaths are related to riots? That' some BS.
One guy drove his bike on the wrong side of the highway and hit a car. Another drove his car into a tree while he was showing off. The 3rd one dove into a river but the river was only 50cm deep so he broke his neck. I think these deaths are all related to stupid celebrations but they have nothing to do with the crap some troublemakers have been pulling, and really pull every chance they get, like every new year's and such.
Nope did not mention how it happened still tragic.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Croatian people celebrate there heroes while the French riot. Classy people those French.

Meh, just because a cluster of idiots are causing problems they don’t represent the others as a whole who were behaving and having a good time.

I’m sure @Evilo and the rest of the French supporters in this forum were on their best behaviour. :nod::thumbu:

Watching the amazing celebration today from Zagreb and as soon as that performer came on stage, I shut the feed off. Like some of his tunes but don’t care for him.

Anyhow, getting over the initial sting of losing the Final and reflecting on an absolutely thrilling ride the Vatreni took us on. Lost some years off my life from all the extra time and shootouts but it was worth it. Will certainly never forget this World Cup.

Nothing like being in the crowd and watching over 1,000 Croatians at our community centre go bananas when Mandzukic scored in ET versus England. Moments like those you never forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy Crawford

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah I have no idea how somewhere on the other part of the globe, someone is telling me we're rioting.

HFboards never cease to amaze me.

Reactions: amethyst

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
I would say Subasic could have stopped both of these shots as neither in the corner. Subasic got wrong footed. I played goalkeeper so yes both shots could have been stopped. France were very dangerous in the second half and created some dangerous chances mainly through Mppae who is almost unstoppable on the counter. I don't think it was in France game plan to get totally pinned back in the first half and not create one dangerous counter attack. They got dominated the first half and executed there game plan in the second half after Croatia was chasing the game.

Belgium created much more trouble for Lloris than Croatia did. All the highlights I’ve watched, Lloris had to make one big save (in the 48th minute). Croatia did good with possession but rarely threatened the goal. That’s the bottom line.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Belgium created much more trouble for Lloris than Croatia did. All the highlights I’ve watched, Lloris had to make one big save (in the 48th minute). Croatia did good with possession but rarely threatened the goal. That’s the bottom line.
No the bottom line is France created nothing in the first half but somehow this was there game plan according to you. This French team is not nearly as good as the team from 1998/2000.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Meh, just because a cluster of idiots are causing problems they don’t represent the others as a whole who were behaving and having a good time.

I’m sure @Evilo and the rest of the French supporters in this forum were on their best behaviour. :nod::thumbu:

Watching the amazing celebration today from Zagreb and as soon as that performer came on stage, I shut the feed off. Like some of his tunes but don’t care for him.

Anyhow, getting over the initial sting of losing the Final and reflecting on an absolutely thrilling ride the Vatreni took us on. Lost some years off my life from all the extra time and shootouts but it was worth it. Will certainly never forget this World Cup.

Nothing like being in the crowd and watching over 1,000 Croatians at our community centre go bananas when Mandzukic scored in ET versus England. Moments like those you never forget.
I am a big Modric fan so I was rooting for Croatia. Saw the celebrations on Tv was pretty cool seeing so many people cheer the team on.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Jeebus, this is the first WC or EURO Championships where I have struggled to find an authentic Nike Croatia jersey, XXL no less. :laugh:

Got one from every tournament they have participated in thus far, got to keep the streak going. Got a knockoff as a substitute for now.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Btw Croatia supporters I think Subasic could have saved both of those goals in the second half. Not his finest moment i the second half.

Probably. He might've been screened and wrong footed,but I cannot escape the impression he was playing injured since the Russia game.

Noone blames him one bit, the man got us through 2 penalty shootouts and made the save of the tournament vs England.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's on CNN as well would you like the link?
Love the american media.
Of course throughout France a few hundred idiots seized the opportunity to steal/break.
But that's not what you said. You said Croatia celebrated while France rioted.

LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->