Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This is going to be so painful.

These games need more gameplay, not more story and cut scenes.
Eh to each their own. I’m all for an amazing story. FFx was my favorite. Though the gameplay does look amazing so far so i’m super hyped for this..

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I remain concerned this is going to turn into a 4-5 part game.

Paying $300+ for Final Fantasy 7 is crazy. Their isnt enough story.

I think that is a fair concern although I can't say I personally am worried about it. I think it is going to be 3 parts.

This is going to be so painful.

These games need more gameplay, not more story and cut scenes.

It really isn't though. They realized there was a opportunity to expand on Midgar and decided to go for it. When you look at it from a sheer size perspective, it was always disappointing that you were limited to such a small portion of that city and I don't believe their decision to fully expand on Midgar will result in unnecessary bloat in other parts of the game.

In the original, you always knew that Shinra was bad/greedy/etc. but to what extent? If you look at the boardroom meeting that Cloud over hears while in the Shinra building, the president makes the comment to raise Mako rates 15% in each area. Then follows up that the people won't lose trust, they will trust Shinra even more. It gives a small glimpse into the propaganda machine that Shinra created. In the remake, Shinra propaganda will be on full display as you travel around Midgar and I am thankful they are taking the opportunity to show us much as they can about that city.

Considering all we have seen to this point is actual game play, I would prefer to see story and cut scenes.

Eh to each their own. I’m all for an amazing story. FFx was my favorite. Though the gameplay does look amazing so far so i’m super hyped for this..

FF7 was special for a number of reasons. The story is probably reason number one and considering we aren't getting true turn based combat as most of us wanted, I am glad that they are taking as much time as possible to get the story right.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The story has already been told and it was fine. We don't need more of it, especially since nothing they will add will actually matter, it will all be filler.

More is not necessarily better. Midgar was the opening chapter of an epic tale, we didn't need to spend more time in it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The story has already been told and it was fine. We don't need more of it, especially since nothing they will add will actually matter, it will all be filler.

More is not necessarily better. Midgar was the opening chapter of an epic tale, we didn't need to spend more time in it.

Yeah... you don't know this as this game isn't going to be 30 - 35 hours of filler. That is a ridiculous assumption.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I mean the added story, the new stuff, will be filler. The story was complete back in 1997.
Again, completely disagree. It seems as if you really haven't been reading up on what they are adding and could potentially just be making assumptions. They are doing a lot of work to tie in a lot of the lore. They aren't just canonizing the compilation material either, they are evaluating everything from the original game as well as the compilation. It isn't a straight 1 for 1 remake, it never has been.

Not to mention, many of the KEY original team members are working on this remake and have said they are exploring things they may have wanted to do back then but it just wasn't technologically possible. This isn't some random team assembled to work on this project.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Again, completely disagree. It seems as if you really haven't been reading up on what they are adding and could potentially just be making assumptions. They are doing a lot of work to tie in a lot of the lore. They aren't just canonizing the compilation material either, they are evaluating everything from the original game as well as the compilation. It isn't a straight 1 for 1 remake, it never has been.

Not to mention, many of the KEY original team members are working on this remake and have said they are exploring things they may have wanted to do back then but it just wasn't technologically possible. This isn't some random team assembled to work on this project.

Oh I know the Squeenix marketing department is claiming that the story will be revamped in an exciting way.

I'm just very skeptical that they will pull it off. Squeenix has a pretty terrible track record.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Oh I know the Squeenix marketing department is claiming that the story will be revamped in an exciting way.

I'm just very skeptical that they will pull it off. Squeenix has a pretty terrible track record.

I mean, that is fair. But there is a large difference between that statement (which I think more than a few people share that concern) and saying the story was complete and everything that is added will be filler.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean, that is fair. But there is a large difference between that statement (which I think more than a few people share that concern) and saying the story was complete and everything that is added will be filler.

Let me put it this way: do you think they will be altering the story? Do you think what they will add will matter to the overarching plot?

I expect most added story to be filler. It would be in bad form to significantly change the plot.

Which may be exactly what the fans want. All it does is reinforce my feeling that having all this work go into a story that has already been told is a shame, this should be FFXVI.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Let me put it this way: do you think they will be altering the story? Do you think what they will add will matter to the overarching plot?

I expect most added story to be filler. It would be in bad form to significantly change the plot.

Which may be exactly what the fans want. All it does is reinforce my feeling that having all this work go into a story that has already been told is a shame, this should be FFXVI.

Absolutely they will alter the story. I don't believe it is going to be enough to where it fundamentally changes the plot, but there are a number of things that could have been done better.

I'm glad you're part of an extremely small minority that feels this way.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Absolutely they will alter the story. I don't believe it is going to be enough to where it fundamentally changes the plot, but there are a number of things that could have been done better.

I'm glad you're part of an extremely small minority that feels this way.

The issue is that it looks like they are going to stretch a 50 hour game into potentially a 150 one. That is going to require a lot of stretching, which is why I believe we are gonna get a lot of filler.

I'd feel more confident in your position if the game looked like it was only going to be a little longer than the original.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The issue is that it looks like they are going to stretch a 50 hour game into potentially a 150 one. That is going to require a lot of stretching, which is why I believe we are gonna get a lot of filler.

I'd feel more confident in your position if the game looked like it was only going to be a little longer than the original.

They have given no indication that they are going to do that with subsequent parts. They said from day 1 they felt that there was so much they could do with Midgar, which is why they chose to end the first part with you leaving Midgar. Most people agreed there was a lot of untapped potential in that city.

Now, if it comes out that it is going to be more than 3 parts I will absolutely revise my statement and be the first to tell you that you were right. Post Midgar I don't know that there is a ton of content that could feasibly be added. Maybe small stuff here and there but nothing game changing.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They have given no indication that they are going to do that with subsequent parts. They said from day 1 they felt that there was so much they could do with Midgar, which is why they chose to end the first part with you leaving Midgar. Most people agreed there was a lot of untapped potential in that city.

Now, if it comes out that it is going to be more than 3 parts I will absolutely revise my statement and be the first to tell you that you were right. Post Midgar I don't know that there is a ton of content that could feasibly be added. Maybe small stuff here and there but nothing game changing.

Midgar is the part that makes the most sense for a 'modern' remake, so I've always been most curious how they'll handle the rest of the game when it switches to the over world map.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Final Fantasy VII had a metric ton of flaws, sure, but none of those flaws involved things that would need to be addressed by expanding on the plot for dozens upon dozens of additional hours of lore, detail, character development, filler and side stories. Hope I'm wrong, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me-- something that would hurt those aspects of the game, not help it. The ambiguity of the story and the AMOUNT of plot/content laid out in the original was perfectly fine-- The broad beats of the story and the time spent on each thing WAS complete and was very well considered and paced-- one of the game's strengths, even. What the game lacked and desperately needed was things like better communication (literally English that makes more sense and sounds less insane, tasteless, and nonsensical), delivery, aesthetics, visual consistency, dialogue writing, semantic clarity, fluidity/robustness, mechanics, and fewer isolated instances of awkwardness, tediousness, or questionableness (?). None of those things require massive expansion or extension in duration, really. In fact, they've already tried to dramatically expand on the lore and details of the series with the compilation games and all they served to do was ruin the story and demand to be treated as non-canon. In terms of strong storytelling sensibilities and good ideas, I see no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially considering that the guy who had a knack for it (Sakaguchi) is gone and the guy who replaced him (Nomura) is generally bad at it.

I would ideally want them to FIX isolated problems with the original, not compound them with extra, fresh new Square-Enix-level crap. If anything, I would expect that adding a lot of new stuff will likely just needlessly add to the existing convolutedness of the plot. Keep it minimalist and leave just as much open to interpretation-- just tighten up everything that's there and make every moment feel right and special rather than awkward and clumsy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be opposed to them increasing the length of the game in order to allow moments to breath and linger in a more effective and realistic way or even to expand on the depth of the actual game play (which it looks like they're doing and possibly nailing), but the game really doesn't need a higher dosage of story content/substance. The game just needs a metric ton of editing and polish, which this era now has the technology, experience, and know-how to accomplish. In that sense, I actually feel the game could hypothetically be perfect for a remake, in theory-- in practice though, so many other factors that are in play can easily screw it up.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Interesting. With the news that they are already well on their way with development for Part II, I wonder if there will be a part 2 release either with the launch of next gen consoles or slightly thereafter in order to help boost PS5 sales and take advantage of timed exclusivity.

I also wonder if this timed exclusivity is only for Part I or if future parts won't be a timed exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad