Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Square has a tendency these days to include Japanese audio options so I'm not too concerned about the hammy English VO, at least.

Was that Cosmo Canyon at the end? edit: Nope, still looks like Midgar.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
There's a 15 minute uncut gameplay video up on ign. That combat absolutely is button mashy. You can see how the player is just repeatedly pushing square to attack añd then using his two atb bars to issue commands.

This is not doing much for me. It looks great, but that combat is going to keep me from living this game.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Technically impressive but concerned by the art direction/voice acting-- The scenes look very Advent Children-y (didn't love the Soldier 1st Class bit in particular for this reason). Curious choice to have Tifa in the Wall Market section before the cross-dressing, when finding her is the reason they're there in the first place. Wonder how that will work.
Nothing will ever be perfect but I do agree that the art isn't what I was expecting. It is certainly more dark than the grunge style I was expecting. But, I guess the original was kind of dark as well if you ignore the goofy sprites and 90's era graphics and focus solely on story content.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There's a 15 minute uncut gameplay video up on ign. That combat absolutely is button mashy. You can see how the player is just repeatedly pushing square to attack añd then using his two atb bars to issue commands.

This is not doing much for me. It looks great, but that combat is going to keep me from living this game.

Holy. Forking. Shirt.

Whatever this is, I am amazed at how much they are trying to give the fans what they want with this game.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake will have a turn-based ‘Classic Mode’ that plays like the original

E
dit*

This article explains it a lot better. I am so beyond amazed.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake has a turn-based ‘Classic Mode’ for fans of the original | TechRadar

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Looks like they improved on FFXV combat a good deal. A shame I don't have a PS4 anymore and don't plan on getting a PS5.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I thought they talked about or hinted at classic mode at E3. I didn't mind the combat in XV but if I'm feeling it it's good to know there's the old ATB as a fallback.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Official box art. :vhappy:

FFVIIR_PS4_2D.jpg

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Square has a tendency these days to include Japanese audio options so I'm not too concerned about the hammy English VO, at least.

Was that Cosmo Canyon at the end? edit: Nope, still looks like Midgar.
It's the aftermath of the plate coming down on Sector 7.
Pretty sure everyone knows that already unless they have been living under a rock.
Not keeping up with the press that the game gets before it's released is nowhere close to living under a rock. It's more likely that people like us who are aware of that stuff are living in a bubble. I bet the average person is just vaguely aware that a remake is happening and have maybe watched a trailer or two.

It's not like they've even been super clear about it aside from being pressed on it to give an answer anyways, so it's far from the most visible piece of information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I haven't been paying too much attention, but this Part 1 ends when they leave Midgar, right? What are they adding to expand the time? It's been awhile since I last played it but isn't it like 10 hours max? I hope they add more Avalanche missions, I want to blow more stuff up

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I haven't been paying too much attention, but this Part 1 ends when they leave Midgar, right? What are they adding to expand the time? It's been awhile since I last played it but isn't it like 10 hours max? I hope they add more Avalanche missions, I want to blow more stuff up
They are. Well, I should clarify. I don't know if it is more Avalanche missions but they are definitely adding a ton more content. They said that each episode will be similar in length to the entire original game which was roughly 38.5 hours. This game is TWO blue-ray discs of content, just for Midgar.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They are. Well, I should clarify. I don't know if it is more Avalanche missions but they are definitely adding a ton more content. They said that each episode will be similar in length to the entire original game which was roughly 38.5 hours. This game is TWO blue-ray discs of content, just for Midgar.
I don't do much console gaming anymore but I don't think I've ever had a higher level of anticipation for a game. I don't know if gamers who weren't around when FF7 first came out (and maybe even outside of a specific demographic) can really understand just how insane and exciting this is for us. Even though they're milking it by making it episodic I don't even care. I just want it.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't do much console gaming anymore but I don't think I've ever had a higher level of anticipation for a game. I don't know if gamers who weren't around when FF7 first came out (and maybe even outside of a specific demographic) can really understand just how insane and exciting this is for us. Even though they're milking it by making it episodic I don't even care. I just want it.

I suppose that is one way to look at it. I look at it like this, there were so many opportunities to go deeper into the lore of the original game. I am sure part of it was just due to technological limitations of the time. They now have the opportunity to not just give us FF7 again, but FF7 like we have never experienced it.

Reactions: YNWA14

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
40 hours for Midgar is intense. It will take Squeenix 15 years to see the project through :laugh:
You know... as much as I would like to say this is hyperbole, they really haven't given us any reason to believe otherwise. I mean as of 3 months ago they still had no idea exactly how many episodes were going to be in the remake.

I do believe that the production of the remaining games will go much quicker due to the reuse of a large amount of assets, but still. If it is 3 parts, maybe we get part 3 by 2025 if we are lucky? Which would be 10 years since the announcement of the remake.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I suppose that is one way to look at it. I look at it like this, there were so many opportunities to go deeper into the lore of the original game. I am sure part of it was just due to technological limitations of the time. They now have the opportunity to not just give us FF7 again, but FF7 like we have never experienced it.
Under Square Enix' hands, the former is much more likely, IMO-- I don't trust them too much to appropriately add new content in a way that's as compelling as the original game (hell, look at those awful sequels that were intended to expand on lore). I even have suspicions that the whole "not showing part 1 could mislead audiences who expect it to be the full game" thing is likely a deliberately shady marketing decision on their part that they conveniently have plausible deniability for. Even though they're being very careful not to piss off hardcore fans this time, they're still a particularly shamelessly sales-oriented company (yes, I know, it's a business, but even considering that).

On top of that, I think a "more is more" attitude is potentially dangerous in general. I disagree that an absence of upfront lore had anything to do with technical constraints-- just poor communication, clarity, and translation. It's a really lore-heavy game already, and the fact that it's revealed sparingly and with quite a bit of tasteful restraint/ambiguity is part of its charm and mystique, IMO. I think it hurts the game for that to be lost, personally, and I would hate for them to exhaustively try to explain every little detail (I'm a bit worried that this is already happening, with them blowing their load on early Sephiroth reveals all over the place).

I think that certain things, like expanding on Avalanche/Shinra's politics/causes for example, is a good thing, but turning all the lore hints/teases/fore-shadowing (especially early in the game) into detailed explanations/back-story would be a mistake, IMO.

Very few gaming experiences would really benefit from being much longer than forty hours in general, and I don't think FFVII is an exception. In a perfect world, where Square Enix hypothetically had a ton of creative integrity, I would prefer if everything was just done very tightly, neatly, tastefully, and without any fat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->