Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
*ahem*

ff7_remako_screenshot_5.jpg

elm_0_base_0000900.jpg

datiao_1_0_base_0000516.jpg

Remako Mod Version 1.0 Released!

Technology is incredible.

Beautiful! Is this a PC version?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So... not sure if any of you have read the Gameinformer interview with SE CEO Yosuke Matsuda. This is one excerpt and I found one particularly line to be really interesting.

Of course, the development team would have had a variety of discussions about how they should go about taking such a famous game as a Final Fantasy VII and remaking that for modern day. I believe that this style of releasing it like this is something that was born of those discussions. But it is true that each of the individual games will be released as independent games. That's how the development team is making them. And so for that reason, I'd like for you to think of them as something you can play as standalone and itself contains a game and I think that they will be worth playing in that way.

I read this as going beyond episodic and it makes me think that the data carry over between each game will be minimal.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So... not sure if any of you have read the Gameinformer interview with SE CEO Yosuke Matsuda. This is one excerpt and I found one particularly line to be really interesting.

I read this as going beyond episodic and it makes me think that the data carry over between each game will be minimal.
Ya, i'm not really sure how much they can carry over anyway? Asides from levels/skills and your items how much more is there?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I was listening to "Axe of the Blood God", an RPG podcast by USGamer and they brought up the Golden Saucer sequence where Dyne goes on a mass shooting masacre. They felt that this will be changed in the remake and I think I agree with them. I dont see that flying in the current climate.

Thoughts?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I was listening to "Axe of the Blood God", an RPG podcast by USGamer and they brought up the Golden Saucer sequence where Dyne goes on a mass shooting masacre. They felt that this will be changed in the remake and I think I agree with them. I dont see that flying in the current climate.

Thoughts?

Could see it going both ways, not sure how they would change it to be less offensive now though. Mass shootings have been a thing for decades so it wasn't like it was any less offensive in '97 compared to present times. If that's the gauge they're going by, then they can't have him bombing buildings..what could they do? Unless they decide to just paint Dyne as a straight up villain, I think they keep Dyne's story/actions the same.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I never quite understand these types of "social climate"-sensitive considerations. The game doesn't trivialize, glorify, relish in, or put a positive non-horrific spin on mass shootings, terrorism, cross-breeding, or seedy/horny rapist towns-- All of these elements are presented as despicable and used to punctuate a broken, beaten down, twisted, and morally questionable world in a game where the whole purpose/theme revolves around questioning whether or not the species responsible for them deserve saving. Why would merely depicting or alluding to these things be inherently unacceptable simply because they're sensitive issues?

It's not like this is GTA or something where the source of entertainment/intentions/perspective behind the game are actually in question and you get the feeling they really are tapping into something potentially problematic. In fact, the average open-world shooter whose main draw is that you have the freedom to let loose and do whatever you want for fun should raise way more of an eyebrow than this.

I can get on board with rewriting specific lines of dialogue or tweaking their tone to be more tasteful and less cringe-y/tone-deaf, but that's about it. The events and subject matter themselves are very appropriate, I find.

You're meant to feel the full weight and regret of your terrorist actions, you're meant to be disgusted by everyone in Wall Market, you're meant to be appalled by Hojo's twisted experiments, and you're meant to feel the same way about Dyne as we do about the kinds of people who commit school shootings.

I agree that this may not fly in America and doing so may spur outrage, but that sure seems dumb and unfortunate to me-- This shouldn't be offensive.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Agreed with all of that. After they redo the script and with the scenes and themes explained better by said script this is going to be a M rated game and those themes (mass shooting, cross dressing, terrorism, etc) fit right in with that rating.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I never quite understand these types of "social climate"-sensitive considerations. The game doesn't trivialize, glorify, relish in, or put a positive non-horrific spin on mass shootings, terrorism, cross-breeding, or seedy/horny rapist towns-- All of these elements are presented as despicable and used to punctuate a broken, beaten down, twisted, and morally questionable world in a game where the whole purpose/theme revolves around questioning whether or not the species responsible for them deserve saving. Why would merely depicting or alluding to these things be inherently unacceptable simply because they're sensitive issues?

It's not like this is GTA or something where the source of entertainment/intentions/perspective behind the game are actually in question and you get the feeling they really are tapping into something potentially problematic. In fact, the average open-world shooter whose main draw is that you have the freedom to let loose and do whatever you want for fun should raise way more of an eyebrow than this.

I can get on board with rewriting specific lines of dialogue or tweaking their tone to be more tasteful and less cringe-y/tone-deaf, but that's about it. The events and subject matter themselves are very appropriate, I find.

You're meant to feel the full weight and regret of your terrorist actions, you're meant to be disgusted by everyone in Wall Market, you're meant to be appalled by Hojo's twisted experiments, and you're meant to feel the same way about Dyne as we do about the kinds of people who commit school shootings.

I agree that this may not fly in America and doing so may spur outrage, but that sure seems dumb and unfortunate to me-- This shouldn't be offensive.

Welcome to 2019. Everything is.

With that being said, I can see where @Warden of the North is coming from and I absolutely think it is a legitimate concern. Personally, I don't think it has to do with the hypersensitive culture we live in though. You aren't portraying these scenes with blocky polygon character models anymore and gun violence has never been more of a hot topic issue than over the last few years. I think the question is would it be somewhat tone deaf to still have this in the game given the sensitivity around guns?

I think it would be different if you witnessed the massacre vs. simply finding the aftermath of it. Granted it was 10 years ago but there was a part of Call of Duty: MW2 where you shot up an airport, civilians included. There was a disclaimer and an option to skip that part of the game, though I am a little fuzzy on the rest of the details because its been 10 years since I played the campaign. If something that extreme where you actually were the one killing innocent people made it into the final cut of the game, I would imagine the Dyne massacre does as well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Welcome to 2019. Everything is.

With that being said, I can see where @Warden of the North is coming from and I absolutely think it is a legitimate concern. Personally, I don't think it has to do with the hypersensitive culture we live in though. You aren't portraying these scenes with blocky polygon character models anymore and gun violence has never been more of a hot topic issue than over the last few years. I think the question is would it be somewhat tone deaf to still have this in the game given the sensitivity around guns?

I think it would be different if you witnessed the massacre vs. simply finding the aftermath of it. Granted it was 10 years ago but there was a part of Call of Duty: MW2 where you shot up an airport, civilians included. There was a disclaimer and an option to skip that part of the game, though I am a little fuzzy on the rest of the details because its been 10 years since I played the campaign. If something that extreme where you actually were the one killing innocent people made it into the final cut of the game, I would imagine the Dyne massacre does as well.
The original version of it was done pretty tastefully and wasn't tone deaf, IMO. In fact, it was surprisingly respectfully delivered considering how much it leads into the psychology of Dyne afterwards.

What would be tone deaf about simply depicting the scenario while it's a hot topic issue, and how isn't that an issue with hypersensitivity? If anything, the fact that its a hot topic issue should add to its relevance.

It would only be tone deaf if the presentation of the scene was poorly done in a way that trivialized or made a mockery of the issue, which, fair enough if the issue is that you don't trust Square Enix to pull it off tastefully (I could get on board with that concern as well), but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying. The current social climate shouldn't have any impact on that anyways. That would be worthy of scorn whether school shootings were in the news or not.

It would be one thing if we were talking about a scene where Sephiroth shot up a school purely out of maniacal super-villainy in a stylized way that's meant to feel bad*ss or something-- that would be tone deaf-- but that isn't the case. Showing the bloody aftermath of a shooting massacre, the characters being horrified by it/fearful of what they think happened, and then diving into the back-story of the irrational and psychologically broken man who committed it seems perfectly valid and worthy of inclusion to me.

Last edited:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I doubt the Dyne part would be in the first game anyway so really we're discussing something we might not see till 2022 at the earliest and who knows what the society landscape looks like then.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I doubt the Dyne part would be in the first game anyway so really we're discussing something we might not see till 2022 at the earliest and who knows what the society landscape looks like then.
There's a far better argument for parts of the Wall Market section being tone deaf, although I would still defend some of it.

For example, I don't see anything wrong with the manner that cross-dressing is handled (other than the "You're..... weird" comment). Or the guys at the gym. Or Don Corneo himself being a disgusting pig. Or even all the absurd stuff that happens at the Honeybee Inn (I disagree that these jokes are homophobic).

However, there are definitely reasonable concerns about the way that rape gets treated like this goofy thing that's cartoonishly played for light-hearted laughs. It's mostly just misplaced/unfortunate lines of dialog here and there, which may have been partly to do with a poor localization.

I may be misremembering, but the part that I recall rubbing me the wrong way most was when one of Corneo's rapist lackeys chase Aeris around in the cellar, she's apologetic about it for some reason, and he's all like "Aww gee shucks, guy can't catch a break. At this rate, I'll never have a girlfriend!" or something. Like... Jesus Christ, are you kidding me?

In my opinion, they should just change it so that there's no doubt that everyone there is just straight up an irredeemable scum-bag who get their comeuppance. The fact that they're insecure about lusting after Cloud can continue to be the humor.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I just...I did not like the combat from XV. At all. I'm fine with everything they're doing with this, but bringing in that style of combat just really drags down my hype.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I just...I did not like the combat from XV. At all. I'm fine with everything they're doing with this, but bringing in that style of combat just really drags down my hype.

It isn't that style of combat. While it most definitely isn't turn based, FFXV was a button masher. This actually takes some strategy with the incorporation of the ATB gauge.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Technically impressive but concerned by the art direction/voice acting-- The scenes look very Advent Children-y (didn't love the Soldier 1st Class bit in particular for this reason). Curious choice to have Tifa in the Wall Market section before the cross-dressing, when finding her is the reason they're there in the first place. Wonder how that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad