Final Fantasy VII Remake - OFFICIALLY RELEASED!! (No Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im all in. Hoping for this year. With the end of the generation coming, and this still a PS4 game (as opposed to PS5) then it might just be this year.

FFVII is the game that really entrenched me as a gamer. It utterly captivated me.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pleasantly surprised by the authenticity of the character designs/models and the retained goofiness of the enemies (everyone looks right-- even Barrett looks solid, even though I hated that Advent Children design). Huge improvement on the initial E3 trailer. It could have been so much worse. The faces look very good. The voices seem pretty solid outside of Barrett, who sounds pretty cornball.

At first glance, the gameplay looks kind of lame, and from the trailer, I'm still skeptical about the art direction/storytelling abilities of Square Enix. It sort of has the feel of their other AAA games, which are awful at that stuff-- but that was kind of a given.

Also concerned that the game will try to "fix" Sephiroth's absence in the early parts of the game and just plaster him everywhere as a crowd-pleasing tool. One of the best things about the original was how they tastefully held back and hauntingly built that up-- it makes the Kalm flashback much more effective. Hopefully this isn't the case, but the trailer makes it look like Cloud will be having Sephiroth flashbacks/hallucinations in the opening bombing missions or something, and that would really suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Pleasantly surprised by the authenticity of the character designs/models and the retained goofiness of the enemies (everyone looks right-- even Barrett looks okay, even though I hated that Advent Children design). Huge improvement on the initial E3 trailer. It could have been so much worse. The faces look very good. The voices seem pretty solid outside of Barrett, who sounds pretty cornball.

At first glance, the gameplay looks kind of lame, and from the trailer, I'm still skeptical about the art direction/storytelling abilities of Square Enix. It sort of has the feel of their other AAA games, which are awful at that stuff-- but that was kind of a given.

Also concerned that the game will try to "fix" Sephiroth's absence in the early parts of the game and just plaster him everywhere as a crowd-pleasing tool. One of the best things about the original was how they tastefully held back and hauntingly built that up-- it makes the Kalm flashback much more effective. Hopefully this isn't the case, but the trailer makes it look like Cloud will be having Sephiroth flashbacks/fever dreams in the opening bombing missions or something, and that would really suck.

I think the Sephiroth appearance in the trailer is in Cloud's head and it's just Jenova talking to him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the Sephiroth appearance in the trailer is in Cloud's head and it's just Jenova talking to him.
I know, that's what I'm talking about. That's still bad, IMO. His voice in Cloud's head early in the game is fine, but I hope they don't show glimpses of the character itself (even if it isn't literally the real Sephiroth) until way later.

I'm hoping that the Sephiroth scene in the trailer is NOT during the bombing mission, but it sure looks like it.

Last edited:

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I know, that's what I mean. That's still bad, IMO. His voice in Cloud's head early in the game is fine, but I hope they don't show glimpses of the character itself (even if it isn't literally the real Sephiroth) until way later.
I don't think they're going to hide the character especially since they want to unify it with Crisis Core. If they're sticking to their plan for the Remake, it will be multiple games and 1st will essentially be entirely in Midgar. But we'll find out what they've gone with in June.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think they're going to hide the character especially since they want to unify it with Crisis Core. If they're sticking to their plan for the Remake, it will be multiple games and 1st will essentially be entirely in Midgar. But we'll find out what they've gone with in June.
I don't doubt that you're probably right-- I just think that stinks.

I mean.. even if they go with multiple games, it would be so much more satisfying if it ended with the Kalm flashback being the first time Sephiroth was shown. Either that or end with the Midgar exit and save Sephiroth's first appearance for the second game.

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-22-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't doubt that you're probably right-- I just think that stinks.

I mean.. even if they go with multiple games, it would be so much more satisfying if it ended with the Kalm flashback being the first time Sephiroth was shown. Either that or end with the Midgar exit and save Sephiroth's first appearance for the second game.
I hear ya. We'll see where they go with it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
id really rather it was turn based rather than this quasi-hack and slash stuff. but whatever. ill give it a look closer to release
We all do. But apparently the "younger generation" don't have the patience for games like that.

Reactions: romba

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't think I'll be able to play it with that battle system which sucks

I will watch someone play on youtube though for sure

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Something that people may have forgotten is that the remake will be released in episodes, so the full game won't be available to play immediately.
From what I remember though, each episode is supposed to be the length of a full FF game in itself.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
[Insert Disc 2 to continue]

A full FF game is like 50-60h on first playthrough. They're just trying to milk it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Are they still releasing it piece meal as was reported, jesus, years ago at this point.

How long has this been in development now? Five years?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If they make combat a bit more engaging than in FFXV, I'm down.

FFXV had some good ideas, the execution wasn't great though. Hopefully they can pull through here. I am very happy they ditched ATB for this. ATB is a relic from my youth, time to move on.

The episodic nature doesn't bother me: I'll just wait for all of them to be packaged.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Something that people may have forgotten is that the remake will be released in episodes, so the full game won't be available to play immediately.
From what I remember though, each episode is supposed to be the length of a full FF game in itself.
Yikes, that would be the furthest thing from reassurance.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Hopefully we will know for sure how it will be setup next month when they reveal more information. It's just something I remember reading when it had been first initially announced, so maybe it won't be THAT long per episode in terms of length in the end? We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->