filppula's potantial??

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
what do you guys think about valteri filppula. he only has 13 points this season 8+5 in 60 games, but he has looked very good on the wings top line now that zetterberg is injured. i see first line potential in him, but i would like some other opinions. maybe its just me being biased, so i would like to know what you think of him and what he's potential is.

A Good Flying Bird*

yeah. so do i.

People keep saying that and I'm not sure why.

I mean, Datsyuk's best assets are his stickhandling and his incredible offensive and defensive anticipation and vision.

How in the world does Filppula resemble that?

Z has great vision, tremendous work ethic, very good finishing skills, and great passing skills.

Where does Filppula resember Z?

Filpulla's offensive abilities aren't really anything special. Pretty good, yeah. But not like Z or Datsyuk. Nothing like it.

Now, Filppula does have very good speed, good work ethic and a good head for a two-way game.

I see him as a solid two-way center who eventually plays on the PK and who also plays on the second or third line.

He's really not a top line center.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
no one said he is as good as Z or datsyuk, but i see a lot of the same qualities in him.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Kind of seems like he'll be a 2nd liner who can play on the top line when he gets on a hot streak from time to time and can play on either of the two powerplay units.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He reminds me nothing of Datsyuk...

He does, however, remind me of Zetterberg... Much like Zetterberg, he is simply relentless on the ice - he has a motor that just seems to keep on going. He's already very responsible defensively - to the point that Babcock would put him on the Datsyuk-Zetterberg line in Holmstrom's spot in the last 5 minutes of a game where they were trying to hold the lead. The biggest knock that i see on him is that he doesn't have a great pure scoring touch - and that's usually something that cannot be taught to great lengths - although it is poosible to drastically improve. But nearly every time he is on the ice you know it and he is usually making things happen.

Long term: I defently think he will be a solid 2nd liner - as early as next year with the departure of Lang(likely). I could defently see him as a guy who puts up around 50-60 points and will be known as a top 2-way forward.

So in concluding, he reminds me of a "poor man's" Zetterberg. A great 2-way forward with not as much offensive ability.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I think a 2nd liner. 50-60 point guy. When he will get noe ice-time,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad