Filppula

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I've always liked him. Load of talent but somehow he can't finish. I think he's a headcase. Move him

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
He doesn't look remotely like the player he was last year, or in the 08 and 09 playoff runs.

I don't know what happened to him, but he appears to have played his way off the roster at this point.

The one thing that makes me think otherwise is that Babcock is still playing him a ton and has him centering the 2nd PP unit. If they had given up on him going forward, I can't imagine he'd still be getting all that prime ice time from Babcock when he's clearly playing like crap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
regardless of stats and contracts and all of the other numbers we confuse ourselves with,

he doesn't pass the eyeball test. He is often seen doing something soft or just wrong, has a low hockey IQ it seems at times. He has had one pretty good year, and is almost 30.

I see a guy with a lot of skill who shows it in flashes, but not consistently enough to merit the money he wants. He passes the eyeball test to me because I see a player who has the toolbox to be a really good player, he just doesn't put it all together. I don't know if it's a mental thing or what it is. Last year he was incredibly aggressive (for his standards), which is why I think he was very productive. This year that's not the case. I don't know what is is. Maybe he never got 100% recovered from his MCL injury in Finland. Not a clue. He's produced like **** though. Wonder if he will bounce back for someone next year? I wouldn't pay him 5 million to find out though. That much I am sure of.

Last edited:

HTT3*

Exactly, they're unproven, and as you said, lots of injuries/ shortened schedule etc.

Why don't we wait until they are regulars and play full seasons before writing the history book on their careers? Maybe one of them is better than we expect?

Tatar yes, but it's time to run a tight ship on Smith. He is costing us games. I say give Smith up to next trade deadline, if he doesn't improve to become that dman to run the top 4, then ship his butt out on the first train outta town.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Posted this in yesterdays game day thread.

PROD or PDOI depending on how you want to say it by month for Filppula

January: 20:57
February: 46:15
March: 53:43
April: 72:26

:help:

He has been the most disappointing player for me on the Wings this season given the expectations and the importance he is supposed to play on this team. Cannot justify him getting paid what he wants and if he does somehow get it here good news for Franzen, because Filppula will be the new public enemy #1.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I see a guy with a lot of skill who shows it in flashes, but not consistently enough to merit the money he wants. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked, but he passes the eyeball test for me.

Yes, you're right. Consistency is key. Flip will have a good zone entry or two a game, that really excite you, but then just kind of flips the pass to a linemate who is covered, and bee lines for the boards (re: not the crease/ slot).

And then he will try to keep doing the cute plays, over and over and over... and turns it over every time, because he should've just chipped it deep and pinned the dman.

I don't doubt how skilled he is, he is nearly as smooth as Pavel every once in a while,

but he shoots even less than Pav, and is weaker on his skates.

We have Pav, Z, Nyquist, and soon to be Jarnkrok who fit that same mold of player. Spending ~$5M on Flip doesn't seem necessary (to me) at this point. Would rather spend it on a guy who shows up to play every night.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
let him go

he is redundant

he is downy ultra soft

has no compete level, has never delivered a body check in his life

last year was a fluke not the norm

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Antropov is skilled, the other 2 guys aren't so much in my opinion.

You say things in many other threads that go far beyond just saying he is a secondary scoring player. Don't feel like searching threads but just in this thread alone you said he is a "sulky player with zero confidence" and a "fluke". LOL. It's usually more of the same in other threads you post about Fil.

Doesn't matter because I agree with you we shouldn't pay him what he is going to ask for, so that's all that really matters.

How is 66 points not a fluke when he's never even hit 50 points any other time in his 7 year career? And spare me the myth that is the TOI argument. This is his 4th year getting top 4 minutes among our forwards.

And yes, he is a sulky player with zero confidence right now. He's not the type of guy that keeps his chin up when things go bad. If he were, he probably wouldn't be on pace for 33 points.

And as for the "skill" debate, the very emphasis on Filppula's skill is why people have such a skewed idea of what he's capable of to begin with. All the skill in the world isn't going to help you if its a challenge for you to find your way around the offensive zone. The history of this league is riddled with guys who have produced more with less skill than Filppula has or does.

It's not like I'm sitting here saying Filppula isn't a good hockey player; I'm sitting here saying - like I literally have for the past 7 years of watching him - that he is not the 60-70 point player that the concensus always thought he was.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
i'd actually take steen over fil ... antropov and poni are not close though.

i think a comparable player is stalberg, who i think actually is becoming the better player this year. is someone gonna give him 5+? i think fil has really played himself into a 4.5m type of deal, and probably not for the term he would want either. don't see how he doesn't hit free agency at this point because the wings probably think is free market value is lower than fil's camp believes.

That wasn't even my point. I'm talking about Filppula's career trajectory. When Antropov, Ponikarovsky, and Steen were all younger players, they were pegged as primary players, and when they weren't producing, the excuse was "he just needs better linemates." I mean, does anyone remember who Steen was compared to as a young NHLer? Henrik Zetterberg. The point I was making is all of those guys showed flashes of something more and, because of that false hope, people only slowly came to terms with the fact that would never be anything more than secondary scorers.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
He has been invisible this year. I don't think I'd give him more than a few 100k raise. Let some team like Winnipeg or Buffalo throw a 5+m per year contract at him.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Let him go. He's going to get a large payday from somebody, and I certainly hope it isn't from us. I can see him being a "change of scenery" guy even if he SHOULD fit in with Detroit. Put him on a team like Toronto or Ottawa, and I bet he flourishes again.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Let him go. He's going to get a large payday from somebody, and I certainly hope it isn't from us. I can see him being a "change of scenery" guy even if he SHOULD fit in with Detroit. Put him on a team like Toronto or Ottawa, and I bet he flourishes again.

Ottawa has better centres in spezza, turris, zibanajad(sp)

bryan murray has been on a heck of a roll as GM these past few years he wont make a mistake like signing filppula

CloneHakanPlease*

He doesn't look remotely like the player he was last year, or in the 08 and 09 playoff runs.

I don't know what happened to him, but he appears to have played his way off the roster at this point.

The one thing that makes me think otherwise is that Babcock is still playing him a ton and has him centering the 2nd PP unit. If they had given up on him going forward, I can't imagine he'd still be getting all that prime ice time from Babcock when he's clearly playing like crap.

I'll admit he looked good last year but the 08-09 cup runs were never that impressive to me. He did his job those years for sure, but I never thought he was a core reason for winning it. In fact I think Babcock's reliance to use Filppula to shut down Malkin was a big reason we lost a few games the second time around. Not Flip's fault obviously, but still.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Filppula is a "highly skilled" player.

what does this mean? Datsyuk is "more skilled" in my opinion than crosby, but crosby always puts up better numbers. Why?

I don't really know.

But I do know this, to win games, we need more goals then we are getting now. A player with 20 goals and 30 assists is a good 2nd line player. What if that player is "not skilled", and "not flashy"... a la tomas holmstrom type.

The main point is production. Filppula might have the "skill" be just as good as zetterberg, but he doesnt produce like zetterberg. And for his production this year... he should be lucky to get 3Million again let alone a raise.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
As for Smith, he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be top defenseman, his destiny will always be the "whipping boy", the guy that "should be great, but never put it together".

crystal-ball.jpg

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Filppula is a proven player. Smith and Tatar are overrated, apparently Smith is the next Kronwall with a mean streak and Tatar is a 35+ goal scorer. If they are really that overrated, then trade their ***** to get some good return. That's good asset management.

I like Tatar as a future 3rd liner that can score, giving Detroit scoring depth... but he will never be a game breaker and he is redundant. I would prefer trading him for a guy with size and snarl to his game over a small skilled guy. As for Smith, he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be top defenseman, his destiny will always be the "whipping boy", the guy that "should be great, but never put it together". I say trade him before other GMs see he is the new Cam Barker of the league. I would love to trade him for a Nick Leddy type guy!

This post here proves you've never watched either Tatar or Smith.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
filppula is a perfect player for the KHL or some other Euro league, wide open bigger ice, no hitting, lots of floating and dangling

he needs to go away now as our team is simply not good enough to support such a player at the money he will want

we need to play more like the jackets then the hawks

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Tatar yes, but it's time to run a tight ship on Smith. He is costing us games. I say give Smith up to next trade deadline, if he doesn't improve to become that dman to run the top 4, then ship his butt out on the first train outta town.

Your crazy give up on Smith every thing that Detroit has done to groom him and you want to trade Smith who has only played this year and partial last year he's pretty much still a rookie and learning and as far as costing us games is laughable maybe the Wings averaging only 2 goals a game is what's costing us games. Sorry but in your little delusional dreamworld Smith is'nt going any where.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
filppula is a perfect player for the KHL or some other Euro league, wide open bigger ice, no hitting, lots of floating and dangling

he needs to go away now as our team is simply not good enough to support such a player at the money he will want

we need to play more like the jackets then the hawks

You don't watch any non-NA hockey leagues, do you?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty much agree with everything. Fil passes the eye test some nights, but so does most players. This season he just doesn't have a lot going for him. He's been extremely predictable, easy to play against, and he's a big part of the problem on the 2nd PP unit. 104 minutes on the PP, 2 points. A very big concern considering a new contract would make him our third best paid forward on the team, a leading type of player offensively, not defensively.

Imo he's got plenty of good and productive years ahead, but he's not a player you build a scoring line around. He's gonna get paid for something he's not. It just doesn't seem worth it considering the state of this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->