Fill in the blank.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Fans are hungry for a championship, Leaf fans doubly so.

The lack of success and being one of the largest fanbases in the world can lead to a little irrationality in the fanbase but it's not universal.

If the Leafs ever won, it would make the Raptors celebration look like an Argos celebration.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You said all Leafs fans are irrational, yes you proved that you are, but that doesn't prove that all are.

I didn't say all Leafs fans....I filled in a blank which was designed to be a generalization.

BTW do you think arguing with a self admitted irrational fan is rational? :confused:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My answer is “often unwilling to admit how little they actually know.”

I also think “unable to explain why something that has so little impact on their life means so much to them” works.

Also, maybe “too much like those people who tell cops ‘I pay your salary.’”

Fans are great. Fans are what makes sports great. I wouldn't follow a sport that didn't have many fans because that means nobody cares. If nobody cares, then what's the point? I like being invested in something that's bigger than me.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Fans are great. Fans are what makes sports great. I wouldn't follow a sport that didn't have many fans because that means nobody cares. If nobody cares, then what's the point? I like being invested in something that's bigger than me.

Fans can add some atmosphere to games -- the feeling in Rogers Centre when Jose Bautista hit his bat-flip homer was fabulous and being there for it will always be a highlight of my life. However, the ugliness in that same game of fans throwing things on the field almost cancels it out and had me (and Peter Mansbridge who talked about it on the Fan the next day) scared about what might happen if the Jays lost that game. I've also read piles of garbage on these boards by fans. So I will never say that fans are great.

I can see being invested in something that's bigger than me if it includes me. But I am not a member of the Leafs or the Jays organization. I contribute nothing (except possibly some money when I attend a game) to their success or failure, so I see no reason to be overly invested. I enjoy the high points and the low points are a bit disappointing -- but certainly nothing worth getting too upset about.

I've seen the Jays win two World Series and the Raps wins an NBA Championship. And those were fun. But had they lost those championships, I'd have been disappointed for a few hours and moved on. I'd love to see the Leafs win a cup, but honestly, if the Leafs never won another game, it wouldn't bother me. I might stop watching them though, just to avoid dealing with the fans who would be way too annoying.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Fans can add some atmosphere to games -- the feeling in Rogers Centre when Jose Bautista hit his bat-flip homer was fabulous and being there for it will always be a highlight of my life. However, the ugliness in that same game of fans throwing things on the field almost cancels it out and had me (and Peter Mansbridge who talked about it on the Fan the next day) scared about what might happen if the Jays lost that game. I've also read piles of garbage on these boards by fans. So I will never say that fans are great.

I can see being invested in something that's bigger than me if it includes me. But I am not a member of the Leafs or the Jays organization. I contribute nothing (except possibly some money when I attend a game) to their success or failure, so I see no reason to be overly invested. I enjoy the high points and the low points are a bit disappointing -- but certainly nothing worth getting too upset about.

I've seen the Jays win two World Series and the Raps wins an NBA Championship. And those were fun. But had they lost those championships, I'd have been disappointed for a few hours and moved on. I'd love to see the Leafs win a cup, but honestly, if the Leafs never won another game, it wouldn't bother me. I might stop watching them though, just to avoid dealing with the fans who would be way too annoying.

I love sitting down watching a game after work. It's great. The outcome doesn't impact my life and that's the beauty of it. Leafs losing a game or a playoff series is not going to wreck my day or my summer, but being emotionally invested in the outcome does make it more fun for me to watch. I can be disappointed that they lost a game, but it doesn't mean that it affects my mood or that I'd wanna go riot.
Very rarely would I watch a whole game where the Leafs are not playing, let's say, because I don't care about the outcome.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I love sitting down watching a game after work. It's great. The outcome doesn't impact my life and that's the beauty of it. Leafs losing a game or a playoff series is not going to wreck my day or my summer, but being emotionally invested in the outcome does make it more fun for me to watch. I can be disappointed that they lost a game, but it doesn't mean that it affects my mood or that I'd wanna go riot.
Very rarely would I watch a whole game where the Leafs are not playing, let's say, because I don't care about the outcome.

And that’s pretty much me too. And that’s what I expect out of a fan. I guess I just felt worn down by the extreme overreactors that are common on these boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->