Confirmed with Link: Filip Larsson to play for HV 71 next season

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, I don't expect much from him at this point. He's got one more year under his ELC. Didn't seem to play very well in GR or Toledo albeit he had a limited number of games as a pro in NA.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We drafted all those goalies in the past few years have we given up on all of them and just want the Wall now?

Yes. And we will sing this everytime he saves Detroit's ass.

giphy.gif

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
We drafted all those goalies in the past few years have we given up on all of them and just want the Wall now?
It honestly doesn't look too great, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Petruzzelli. Gylander did really well as a freshman, hopefully he gets a lot games with Colgate. Bednar has talent but had a challenging season, should have a big role next season and hopefully a WJC spot. Brattström should be in GR next season but his season in Finland could've been better. Larsson & Eliasson aren't moving forward at the moment and will have to really convince if they want to play more than an average backup.

We could use another shot at an undrafted free agent from Europe because it will take a while for any of our prospects to make it. Lassi Lehtinen is a guy I think deserves a shot and apparently he will sign with someone this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Isn't he 23 already? To me, this looks like we have no plan for him as he should be Grand Rapids or moved in my opinion.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The guy blew out his groin, then re-injured several times. It wasn't the lack of talent, a goalie just can't succeed with that severity of injury. Too bad he did not finish his college degree. Wish him the best.

Could think he will come in NHL on later years, after he will heal his body and build a new technique etc.

So far his latest season have been horrible. This move to Sweden is quite meaningless, good for him to get a starter role.

Grand Rapids is obviously not any kind of goalie factory. Zero results after Mrazek.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It kind of makes sense when you consider:

-Yzerman will most likely sign another veteran of the Pickard/Boyle ilk to be the starter in GR and #3 guy for the Wings
-They have to figure out what to do with Brattstrom, Fulcher and Larsson, who are all under contract. If they want to give that 2nd spot in GR to one of them, Brattstrom or Fulcher are likely more deserving than Larsson based on their respective performances in various leagues during this past season.
-Or if they end up signing Petruzelli now, they probably have to guarantee him a spot in GR as a way to keep him from opting to go the free agent route
-Anyway you slice it, if Larsson comes back to NA for 21-22, he's likely looking at sitting around as a spare part in Toledo if not shuttling between Toledo and GR to act as a warm body for the Griffins if/when someone gets hurt or called up to the NHL.

Given that, there's a couple ways to look at this:

Glass half empty: The Wings are pretty much done with him but can't move him or get his camp to agree to mutual contract termination. He gets his pro career started in his home country, and quietly goes unqualified next summer.

Glass half full: Given that he's still not even 23YO, has a year left on his contract, hypothetically 2 more years of waiver exemption and at least 3 more years of team control, this might just be a way of giving him one more shot. Having a regular role for HV71 might be a more stable place to turn things around than toiling around as a spare part between the AHL or ECHL. If he has a good year for HV71, the Wings can consider giving him a 1 year extension and another chance in GR for 22-23. Obviously this would probably depend on what happens with Petruzelli, Brattstrom and Fulcher after this coming season as well.

Isn't he 23 already? To me, this looks like we have no plan for him as he should be Grand Rapids or moved in my opinion.

This is probably the only "move" they can make other than a buyout or trying to get his camp to go for mutual contract termination. An injury prone, former 6th rounder with little experience in the AHL and coming off a season with pedestrian numbers in lower leagues in Europe probably has zero trade value. At most, the Wings could maybe toss him to a team looking to unload a more expensive fringe player they don't have room for like when the Wings sent David Pope to the Canucks for Biega.

And as far as just gifting him a spot in GR, as I mentioned earlier the Wings have better options in Fulcher, who actually played somewhat decent when he finally got a few games with GR late this past season, and Brattstrom, who put up better numbers this past season than Larsson while playing as a starter at a higher level in Europe.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Could think he will come in NHL on later years, after he will heal his body and build a new technique etc.

So far his latest season have been horrible. This move to Sweden is quite meaningless, good for him to get a starter role.

Grand Rapids is obviously not any kind of goalie factory. Zero results after Mrazek.

Wouldn't blame it on Grand Rapids. Most of our goalies start giving off bust vibes before they get to GR.
Sounds like scouting issues.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Wouldn't blame it on Grand Rapids. Most of our goalies start giving off bust vibes before they get to GR.
Sounds like scouting issues.

Aside from that, if you look at the goalies GR has had to work with "since Mrazek", casting shade on them for not churning out NHL worthy guys would be like blaming a bartender for low sales when all you give them to serve is a dirty 30 of Old Milwaukee and a couple bottles of Night Train.

Reactions: Bench

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The ball is in his court to play better and to re-establish himself as a prospect. To do that he needs to be in an environment where he can play a lot of games. Hopefully this is a good situation for him.

In hindsight it is easy to see that the hype-train moved a bit too quick with this one.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Aside from that, if you look at the goalies GR has had to work with "since Mrazek", casting shade on them for not churning out NHL worthy guys would be like blaming a bartender for low sales when all you give them to serve is a dirty 30 of Old Milwaukee and a couple bottles of Night Train.

Daniel Larsson, a former Wings draft pick and Grand Rapids goalie made comments about not liking the goalie coaching in Grand Rapids while there. There was a link about it on these forums a million years ago. And Mrazek who was "difficult to work with" asked to bring in a new goalie coach. Maybe there's something to it?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Daniel Larsson, a former Wings draft pick and Grand Rapids goalie made comments about not liking the goalie coaching in Grand Rapids while there. There was a link about it on these forums a million years ago. And Mrazek who was "difficult to work with" asked to bring in a new goalie coach. Maybe there's something to it?

Daniel Larsson was there over a decade ago, and I would assume that who ever was running goalie stuff at the time has been long gone for a while.

Mrazek's issue was with the goalie coach at the NHL level, which was at the time Jim Bedard. The Red Wings then decided to not renew Bedard's contract and promoted the Griffins coach Jeff Salajko, who Mrazek wanted coaching him at the NHL level. Salajko continues in that role today.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Daniel Larsson was there over a decade ago, and I would assume that who ever was running goalie stuff at the time has been long gone for a while.

Mrazek's issue was with the goalie coach at the NHL level, which was at the time Jim Bedard. The Red Wings then decided to not renew Bedard's contract and promoted the Griffins coach Jeff Salajko, who Mrazek wanted coaching him at the NHL level. Salajko continues in that role today.

Are you sure that Mrazek is who got Bedard "fired"? I could have sworn it was the Grand Rapids goalie coach.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Are you sure that Mrazek is who got Bedard "fired"? I could have sworn it was the Grand Rapids goalie coach.

I don't know if Bedard's being let go was completely by Mrazek's influence, but I do recall that at some point there was an offseason interview in some Czech sports outfit where Mrazek said something along the lines of Jim Bedard being better suited to coach Jimmy Howard than he was for coaching Petr. Bedard was let go in the same offseason that Mrazek got his raise to starter money (summer of 2016). Salajko was then promoted from GR's goalie coach to the Wings, which was a move that was praised by Mrazek in the media (and FWIW Howard as well).

As far as Mrazek's tenure in Grand Rapids, Salajko wasn't brought in until Mrazek's 2nd year in the pro's (13/14). I'm not sure who was the official goalie coach for GR, if there even was one or perhaps Bedard handled both teams during Mrazek's 1st year. However, that would've been the 2nd and final year where Chris Osgood had some kind of goaltending "consulting"/development gig with the Wings where he'd work with young goalies in the system and spend time in GR. Osgood would then join the broadcast team on a more official basis. I would assume that move probably had little if anything to do with Mrazek or Osgood's performance in that role, and a lot more to do with the TV deal likely being more lucrative. I would think if Mrazek had some issue with a well known figure like Osgood, it would be pretty memorable. FWIW, Salajko was initially hired at the urging of Bedard.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
He had a horrible year after a bad year, so not looking great. Honestly he's probably lucky to get a shot with a potential top Allsvenskan team, I would expect Gunnarsson to be their starter but hopefully Larsson can show up when he gets a shot. But he's still under contract so no reason to write him off yet.

He wasn't impressing anyone in Denmark for sure. I don't think he would have gotten a contract to stay on as the number one goalie in Frederikshavn if he was ever interested in that. Which he probably wasn't anyway. I agree HV71 is a very lucky break for him.

Perhaps he can start building from the bottom up behind Gunnarsson to perhaps gain a SHL career in a couple of years, but at this point he is no way near SHL level.

Reactions: ChadS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad