Filip Johansson vs Nils Lundqvist vs Rasmus Sandin

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No one in NA has any clue about Johansson. Would like some Swedes( or at least someone familiar with his game), to chime in.

I'm just considering him a "poor man's Brodin", till someone tells me differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kale Clague

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'm still very disappointed my wild went off the board and picked johansson in the 1st. for now i agree with ranking him last in this group. however the wild scouts did pick kaprizov so theres a small chance all isnt lost.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
No one in NA has any clue about Johansson. Would like some Swedes( or at least someone familiar with his game), to chime in.

For sure nobody outside of Sweden and the scouting community will be able to give an expert opinion, but him and Lundqvist did just play 5 games in North America (3 of which were on national TV) for what it’s worth.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lunkvist is quite a bit better than the other two, but I might say that Johansson has some really good tool to work with, more so than Nils, who's just an overly smart player.

Sandin is just a slightly worst version of Nils.

Lundkvist
Sandin
Johansson

Sandin is a safe bet for the NHL and so is Lundkvist, both are smart players and they don't have weaknesses, where they might be lacking is in offensive potential.

Reactions: insomniac

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Wouldn't be surprised to see Sandin end up as one of the better defensemen in the draft if he improves his skating.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Sandin's in a position with the Soo where he could put up 80 points in his D1 season and that's including a WJC break. I think him and Lundqvist are very even but we're about to see what being a Leafs prospect, and having a huge CHL season does for a players rep.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I had Sandin 18 and Lundkvist 22, but it was really close. I think Sandin has more creativity as a passer and a bit better puck skills (he looks like a forward at times when he activates). They're both quite physical at their size and sound in their own end. I personally don't see a ton of separation in their skating, though some think Lundkvist is a better skater than I do. He's better, but I think his first strides could improve some, not unlike Sandin. He is better in full flight though and so is his edge work, I believe. I won't bat an eye if they end up similar, but I do think Sandin has a hair more offensive tools without slack elsewhere.

Reach or not, I didn't have Johansson ranked because I actually had a negative impression of him in my watches. He's a very good skater, but apart from that, I simply don't know where he "wins," so to speak, on the ice. What is he good at?.....how does he impact the game? I found his hockey sense and puck moving awareness pretty meh too, which was my major hang up and probably explains my questions.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Sandin's in a position with the Soo where he could put up 80 points in his D1 season and that's including a WJC break. I think him and Lundqvist are very even but we're about to see what being a Leafs prospect, and having a huge CHL season does for a players rep.
Is he going back to Sweden or staying with Soo next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->