Prospect Info: Filip Gustavsson (G)

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Protect Gus at all costs. He's easily the pick up if we expose him.

The fact we're talking about Murray having ihs confidence shattered, rather than losing our veteran goalie speaks a lot. How hard it is to say to Murray "Hey, we've sent Kraken a pick to guarantee they don't take you," and not actually do so?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
At this stage .. I think they protect Gus.. I think the decision is more Gus or Daccord.. but will got to Gus.. Murray gets exposed because of 2 things combined .. Poor play and over payment.. Good risk for the Sens. The only thing that would change that is Dorion's ego , saving face for the contract. He has a few of those to deal with but has to be able to make clean slate decisions for the present and the future.

I hope you're right, but I still just feel like he won't be able to get over the bolded part. Also the whole "message it sends" silliness. I'm 100% in on protecting Gus and I think it would be a mistake not to. I hope I'm wrong, but I still have a bad feeling we're going to go with protecting Murray.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

The fact we're talking about Murray having ihs confidence shattered, rather than losing our veteran goalie speaks a lot. How hard it is to say to Murray "Hey, we've sent Kraken a pick to guarantee they don't take you," and not actually do so?

Yeah...if not being protected shatters his confidence, then we have much bigger problems with him than we realized.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I hope you're right, but I still just feel like he won't be able to get over the bolded part. Also the whole "message it sends" silliness. I'm 100% in on protecting Gus and I think it would be a mistake not to. I hope I'm wrong, but I still have a bad feeling we're going to go with protecting Murray.

He's got White's contract, Dadonov's, Tierney's , even Zaitsev's which hasn't been as bad as it seemed last year .. I hope he doesn't see Murray as some sort of savior taking us to the promise land.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
How hard it is to say to Murray "Hey, we've sent Kraken a pick to guarantee they don't take you," and not actually do so?

I'd be more worried that lying like that would break the relationship than just straight up leaving him unprotected. Don't lie to him, be straight up "We really like you and we want you around but we also really want to keep Gus. We feel at the moment that with your contract the decision that is most likely to end up with both of you guys still in Sens uniforms next season is to protect him." Obviously he won't like it, but if he has a huge breakdown over it, then he's not really a team player or a guy that we want protecting our net at that point.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Yeah. I know people point to Tierney but if I'm Seattle I'm taking the potential #1 goalie over a bottom 6 player any day of the week.
Yup. Holtby + Allen + Gus and you're set in nets for next 5 years.

Confident Murray - Gus <<< Gus + Shattered Murray

Can PD really save face if we keep a shit 0.890 Murray and see Kraken end up with a franchie goalie?

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I wouldn’t need to worry about Murray’s confidence being shattered if I had Gus playing in net instead.

This is the big leagues and this goalie has won it all twice now, if you can’t handle being exposed to the expansion draft while also being guaranteed $6M a season then maybe you aren’t the right person for the job to begin with, and wouldn’t be the one to bring the team to the promise land. If being exposed doesn’t motivate you up to be better than your not the right goalie for the franchise anyways.

PROTECT THE GOOSE.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

It's not the GMs job to maintain the confidence of the players.

That's what the coaching staff is for.

Reactions: DrEasy

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
This is such a tap in move.

Do not f*** this up Dorion.
tenor.gif

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wouldn’t need to worry about Murray’s confidence being shattered if I had Gus playing in net instead.

This is the big leagues and this goalie has won it all twice now, if you can’t handle being exposed to the expansion draft while also being guaranteed $6M a season then maybe you aren’t the right person for the job to begin with, and wouldn’t be the one to bring the team to the promise land. If being exposed doesn’t motivate you up to be better than your not the right goalie for the franchise anyways.

PROTECT THE GOOSE.

Yeah, I have a bit of insight into Murray the individual and I think concerns about his confidence are a bit overblown. Murray is both extremely hard on himself and extremely confident in himself. The two go hand in hand. If anything, I think being left unprotected, unclaimed, and entering camp with a legit threat on his heels (or blocking his way) could be the best thing for him. Murray has accomplished what he's accomplished because of his self-belief and self-price, and his self-belief & pride are what will ensure that he doesn't fall off the map (so long as he doesn't run into chronic health issues).

Reactions: Hutz

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
What do people think the over-under for games played with the Sens is for Gus this year? I could see him playing an equal amount to Forsberg at the start until he eventually gets the starting job when/if Murray goes down with injury. We also play a lot of back to backs so will need to rely on backups pretty regularly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->