Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Digging into Chytil's even strength numbers because I'm a bit bored today:

Even Strength Points:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Mika Zibanejad
  4. Ryan Strome
  5. Filip Chytil

Even Strength Points/Games Played:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Mika Zibanejad
  4. Filip Chytil
  5. Ryan Strome

Even Strength Points/60:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Filip Chytil
  3. Pavel Buchnevich
  4. Mika Zibanejad
  5. Ryan Strome
Chytil needs a bigger role next year

if we keep him on the third line again for Ryan Strome I’ll be mad

Reactions: smoneil

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I was being sarcastic. I am literally defending Chytil in my every other post. :laugh:

Defending Chytil is fine. He's an asset we should hang onto at almost all costs.

But I'm still curious. Do you think Reeves would be a good asset for the Rangers?

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Defending Chytil is fine. He's an asset we should hang onto at almost all costs.

But I'm still curious. Do you think Reeves would be a good asset for the Rangers?
The last time I actually watched him play more than just at a glance was the Vegas - Capitals final, but I guess he could be an asset on the 4th line/as a 13th forward. His cap hit for the next season is a tad too high, but nothing our cap space and Dolan's wallet couldn't handle.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
@Machinehead made a "value of Hertl" thread on the trade board. Someone said Chytil + 1st + something else. I looked up Hertl, and he Chytil had similar stats in his 3rd season. Hell, even his 5th season. If you take out his rookie year that was an outlier, considering his next 4 seasons weren't even close to that PPG average, Hertl's 2-5 season he would have 36 points per 82 and Chytil's career is 31 per 82. Yet we can't wait to get rid of Chytil.

Reactions: smoneil

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Machinehead made a "value of Hertl" thread on the trade board. Someone said Chytil + 1st + something else. I looked up Hertl, and he Chytil had similar stats in his 3rd season. Hell, even his 5th season. If you take out his rookie year that was an outlier, considering his next 4 seasons weren't even close to that PPG average, Hertl's 2-5 season he would have 36 points per 82 and Chytil's career is 31 per 82. Yet we can't wait to get rid of Chytil.
You're not wrong. The only thing is, Hertl won 56% of his faceoffs his first year in the NHL. Chytil was sub-40% this past year. I don't care if you're not great at faceoffs but 38, 39% is a problem.

The Rangers either need to commit to him at wing or teach him faceoffs.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You're not wrong. The only thing is, Hertl won 56% of his faceoffs his first year in the NHL. Chytil was sub-40% this past year. I don't care if you're not great at faceoffs but 38, 39% is a problem.

minor point but he was actually at 42.8% lol

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

So the 1st++ is for the faceoffs?

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

Faceoffs are more of a learned skill at the NHL level. Younger players are usually working on so many other parts of their game that they might not have the time to spend on faceoffs. Hertl seems to be an exception. Look at Jordan Staal for an example:

Jordan Staal Stats and News

37% in his rookie season, then 4 more years below 50%, then two years around 50-51%, and then his percentage takes off.

Honestly, I don't know why Chytil's faceoffs would be a point of focus when Zibanejad, Strome, and Rooney all declined significantly in faceoff percentage from the previous year and took more faceoffs. Zibanejad in particular has shown a steep decline. He won 52% of his faceoffs in his first year as a Ranger and has declined every season since then.

Mika Zibanejad Stats and News

They all need to improve and I'm looking at the veterans to lead on that.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not locking this kid up long term at a bargain rate is going to be looked back on as a huge mistake.
For the umpteenth time, both parties need to agree to a contract. It is entirely possible – I would argue, likely – that the two year deal was Fil's (or rather, his agents') preference, and not the Rangers'.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
For the umpteenth time, both parties need to agree to a contract. It is entirely possible – I would argue, likely – that the two year deal was Fil's (or rather, his agents') preference, and not the Rangers'.

There's also the fact that a longer term deal would have come with a higher cap hit, and cap is already going to be tight next year, especially if Kakko breaks out.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Overall a pretty good season from Fil, could use work on faceoffs (career high of 42.76% this year) but other than that if he continues to grow and mature I think we have a great 2nd line center in the making.

42 GP
8 G
14 A
+9

More dirty goals like this next year pls:

had better trade him for a pricey center before giving him a shot.

Kid is developing as are all of them.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Maybe. Maybe not. This organization has not been smart about second contracts so I'm unwilling to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I of course could be wrong though.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

maris

Oct 20, 2005
i wasn't aware that Chytil seems to have a good shot. Did he work on that this off season or he did he always had that skill? Were those 3 scores off slap shots?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007

He worked on it and they brought in a referee to help teach. But he was slashed on the hands again last night and didn't take any faceoffs afterward. But yet subsequently scored a hattrick. Go figure.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
At most they prob could have did 4 years 3.5
Per. That’s what chytil would have likely accepted. 25 years old at next big contract. I get why drury only did 2. Chytil still has to prove consistency in a top 6 role.
Hopefully he does. We all know he has highlight reel ability, we’ve seen it at 18-19-20 years old. This is a huge year for chytil. He really needs to grab the bull by the horns.
I hope he gets to take stromes role from him

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
He worked on it and they brought in a referee to help teach. But he was slashed on the hands again last night and didn't take any faceoffs afterward. But yet subsequently scored a hattrick. Go figure.

Sorry didn't realize I'm replying to such an old post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->