Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I think this post itself downplays just how hard it is to win one stanley cup, let alone 2-3 cups...
I've been a Rangers fan for 40 years. This is the most talented group of youth NYR has had since the 1992-1993 season (before they traded all the talent away for a one off and then shredded the rest of the roster trading for overpaid, washed up superstars). I think if they had kept that 1992-1993 team together that they would have won 2-3 cups in the 90's as well. From my perspective, my post really just shows my excitement at the talent we have now... but I do anticipate the front office will completely f*** it up and we'll get no cups out of this exciting situation.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
And oh my... how safe it would later prove to be. The irony.
With limited ice time and no PP/PK tIme he’s managed a 45 point pace while displaying high end talent and more consistency to his game. At 21, I don’t know what else we could ask for. I think he tops our at a high end 2C that can move up and play first line minutes if needed. Much like the role of Stepan even though they aren’t really compatible playing styles. I’m pleased as punch. Want him to get more ice and PP time

Reactions: haveandare

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
With limited ice time and no PP/PK tIme he’s managed a 45 point pace while displaying high end talent and more consistency to his game. At 21, I don’t know what else we could ask for. I think he tops our at a high end 2C that can move up and play first line minutes if needed. Much like the role of Stepan even though they aren’t really compatible playing styles. I’m pleased as punch. Want him to get more ice and PP time

I am not really sure what you are responding to, as I hold the same view and have high hopes for Chytil.

I was referring to the irony of the Lias pick being a very safe bet and the Chytil pick a huge reach, while the first guy ended up much worse than his "100% guaranteed" floor and the other is already an NHL regular with potential 1C upside.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I've been a Rangers fan for 40 years. This is the most talented group of youth NYR has had since the 1992-1993 season (before they traded all the talent away for a one off and then shredded the rest of the roster trading for overpaid, washed up superstars). I think if they had kept that 1992-1993 team together that they would have won 2-3 cups in the 90's as well. From my perspective, my post really just shows my excitement at the talent we have now... but I do anticipate the front office will completely f*** it up and we'll get no cups out of this exciting situation.
I see that comment made many times that but could've would've won the 94 and maybe more if not making all those deals, but the fact is we don't even know if they win once without the deals. We do know that they win by making those deals.

I appreciate the excitement and how great this young group can potentially be, but my post was just meant to temper expectations. It's like those that thought our young studs would walk in and produce at elite levels right away. It's all a process and let's see where it ends up

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I appreciate the excitement and how great this young group can potentially be, but my post was just meant to temper expectations. It's like those that thought our young studs would walk in and produce at elite levels right away. It's all a process and let's see where it ends up
The talent is certainly there. As is the promise. But I sometimes think that people forget just how long things can take to develop. Look at how long it was since MacKinnon was drafted. Or a Kucherov or Hedman.

Now there are things that can mitigate; a top goalie comes to mind real quick. But it takes a while to transition from rebuilding to contending to Cup contending.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue94

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I’m sure this has been said many times by many people, but I think this is the first year that Chytil is really looking like a full grown man. I’ll admit, it Had really gotten to the point where I personally thought he was just going to be decent. I don’t really think that now. A lot of the third liners I have graduated to somewhere in the top six this season, and I think it really has a lot to do with him.

Smith, on the other hand, I am alone in singing was always useful, when not taking stupid penalties. He has a little bit of everything to his game, just inconsistently play to play.

Depending upon the expansion, I'd re-sign for 1-2 years for under 2M. Good game. he’s been a damn good Ranger. Brendan Smith circa 2011 last night.

But on the topic of Filly Chytsteak... i’d be equally as encouraged by his progression as by 1 or 2.

They said at his draft. Darkhorse to be a star.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The talent is certainly there. As is the promise. But I sometimes think that people forget just how long things can take to develop. Look at how long it was since MacKinnon was drafted. Or a Kucherov or Hedman.

Now there are things that can mitigate; a top goalie comes to mind real quick. But it takes a while to transition from rebuilding to contending to Cup contending.
Kucherov was drafted?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I am not really sure what you are responding to, as I hold the same view and have high hopes for Chytil.

I was referring to the irony of the Lias pick being a very safe bet and the Chytil pick a huge reach, while the first guy ended up much worse than his "100% guaranteed" floor and the other is already an NHL regular with potential 1C upside.
Were in agreement. I think with more ice PP opportunity he’s still just scratching the surface of his potential. Now that he’s getting his man strength he’s showing more consistency. His legs are what generates his game. Like tree trunks. All things being honest I wanted the rangers to take Kostin, so I’m happy to eat a little crow where Fil is concerned. Most forget that he is so young that he only missed the following years draft by a matter of weeks.
I was agreeing with the pick of Andersson. Rangers don’t take him, then they don’t reach with Chytil.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Overall a pretty good season from Fil, could use work on faceoffs (career high of 42.76% this year) but other than that if he continues to grow and mature I think we have a great 2nd line center in the making.

42 GP
8 G
14 A
+9

More dirty goals like this next year pls:

Also, don't forget his points per 60. He is gonna be really good. Don't care about all those people who criticize his low IQ, lack of vision... They are in for a surprise in the near future (as soon as he gets some actual time on the ice).

The face-offs are really the only thing keeping him from becoming a legit 2C right now. But you would have to think that is not entirely on him, as the entire team is just piss-poor on face-offs. Looks like the problem might be somewhere else.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Chytil has taken another step this year, he's been much better on the boards and protecting the puck in the offensive zone. His faceoff wins went from 38.5% to 42.8%. His ES scoring has gone up again with almost no PP time and a majority ES points. He's also still 21 and got COVID and a f***ed up wrist. I know he can be really frustrating but he's so close to being a huge player for us.

The only thing I really want to see from Fil is a simpler approach.

He's never going to be a dangler so I'd actually work to pull that out of his game than have him do more of it (or at least try to drill it into his head to pick his spots better) but he's been fine aside from the dip he had after coming back (probably a bit too soon) from his injury.

I'd lock him up for a bit this summer. He's a good bet to be a bargain on a 5-6 year deal.
This is still an issue for him though and being on the kidz line exacerbated it imo

Kinda want him to take a page out of VK's book. He's got the skill but he's not above dumping and chasing when he has no options. Fil is a much better skater so he tends to get surrounded when this happens, so I want him to improve on his decision making when he enters the offensive zone. I think he gets a little screwed by our god awful breakout scheme though so I'm not gonna pile it all on him.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Chytil’s 22 even strength points put him at 52nd among centers. If you prorate for missed games, he would have 29 even strength points, which would place him at 23rd among centers.

He produced at a 42 point pace despite no PP time and generally having wingers who were not hacking it in the top 6 at the time. If he slots into the 2C spot with regular PP time, he probably produces at a 50-55 point pace. I think he’s showing that he is ready to be the 2C.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Chytil’s 22 even strength points put him at 52nd among centers. If you prorate for missed games, he would have 29 even strength points, which would place him at 23rd among centers.

He produced at a 42 point pace despite no PP time and generally having wingers who were not hacking it in the top 6 at the time. If he slots into the 2C spot with regular PP time, he probably produces at a 50-55 point pace. I think he’s showing that he is ready to be the 2C.

The game seems to be slowing down for him as well. Last year, I think he probably tries to shove the puck through the goalie on this play. Here, he not only moves it to the wide-open Laf, but he keeps his head looking towards goal to fake the goalie/defense.

Same thing with this pass to Panarin for a goal. Everyone is looking for him to move the puck to Blackwell, but he zips it over to Bread for the goal.

Also this beauty of a backhand pass to send Laf in for a goal against the Devils all while the puck is bouncing all over the place.

He's gone from "showing occasional flashes" to really putting on a show at times (I also love that Kakko is the first guy after Tennyson for that shot to Lafreniere). As his consistency continues to improve with age, I think he can be one hell of a player. Drury has to get some of these young centers together for a few weeks this summer and just drill them on F/O strategy (maybe bring in Malhotra and Holik to help--all three were above 55% for their careers IIRC).

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
The game seems to be slowing down for him as well. Last year, I think he probably tries to shove the puck through the goalie on this play. Here, he not only moves it to the wide-open Laf, but he keeps his head looking towards goal to fake the goalie/defense.

Same thing with this pass to Panarin for a goal. Everyone is looking for him to move the puck to Blackwell, but he zips it over to Bread for the goal.

Also this beauty of a backhand pass to send Laf in for a goal against the Devils all while the puck is bouncing all over the place.

He's gone from "showing occasional flashes" to really putting on a show at times (I also love that Kakko is the first guy after Tennyson for that shot to Lafreniere). As his consistency continues to improve with age, I think he can be one hell of a player. Drury has to get some of these young centers together for a few weeks this summer and just drill them on F/O strategy (maybe bring in Malhotra and Holik to help--all three were above 55% for their careers IIRC).

I know I have said this before, but it is so easy to forget that Chytil is only 21 due to how long he has been in the NHL. If he had this same season as a 21-year-old rookie, everyone would say he’s a stud.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know I have said this before, but it is so easy to forget that Chytil is only 21 due to how long he has been in the NHL. If he had this same season as a 21-year-old rookie, everyone would say he’s a stud.

I like Chytil but he wasn't a rookie so higher expectations are reasonable.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Digging into Chytil's even strength numbers because I'm a bit bored today:

Even Strength Points:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Mika Zibanejad
  4. Ryan Strome
  5. Filip Chytil

Even Strength Points/Games Played:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Mika Zibanejad
  4. Filip Chytil
  5. Ryan Strome

Even Strength Points/60:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Filip Chytil
  4. Mika Zibanejad
  5. Ryan Strome
EDIT: Buch is actually #2 in EVP/60

Last edited:

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
Digging into Chytil's even strength numbers because I'm a bit bored today:

Even Strength Points:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Mika Zibanejad
  4. Ryan Strome
  5. Filip Chytil

Even Strength Points/Games Played:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Pavel Buchnevich
  3. Mika Zibanejad
  4. Filip Chytil
  5. Ryan Strome

Even Strength Points/60:
  1. Artemi Panarin
  2. Filip Chytil
  3. Pavel Buchnevich
  4. Mika Zibanejad
  5. Ryan Strome
What a bust. Trade him for Ryan "Wilsonbane" Reaves. We need that grit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->