Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
This whole bUt wE NeeD tO WiN nOw argument is really tedious. I get it that the coach is in the big league now, playing for his own stats as well and winning is better than losing for any organization, but any fool can ride his big established stars and veterans to the max to the detriment of youth development.

Exposing the kids to various situations, also when important points are on the line, allowing them to push their limits AND make mistakes is how they learn. The prospect grave yard is full of victims to win now coaches. I'm not saying Quinn is extreme in this regard but playing Backwell over say Chytil, who had a good game and whose skill set is well suited to 3 on 3, is eye-popping to say the least.

The Rangers should be aiming to turn Chytil into a Necas level player rather than a Faksa.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed. I thought the kid line had some very good shiftslast night, particularly Chytil and Gauthier working together down low.
This for sure. They both have those strong powerful legs along the boards and are protecting the puck well. You can see the chemistry they are building together.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His assist is what we all hope to see from him. Head up and making a play. Do it agane

Hopefully he can continue to improve on it. Horse blinders are still there imo. Panarin just happened to be in his field of view.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
He's not a pretty finesse player. He's coming to understand that as much as we should. But he's very effective and puts up points at 5v5 at a very impressive clip (only panarin and buchnevich better this season).

Strome has impressed me but its time for chytil 2C with panarin.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
don't look now but he's on a 48 point pace per 82 and I'm pretty sure all of his points are still primaries.

I think he's the weak link on the kidz line though, not because he's bad but I feel like the way he plays clashes a little bit too much with his wingers. I've seen way too many times he will go to cover the same player Kakko or Lafreniere have already checked, and Lafreniere seems to really prefer carrying pucks in himself where Chytil is always looking for those passes.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I thought Chytil was a year or two older than Kravtsov. Realizing they are the same age puts things in a different perspective. Lots of time for Chytil to take more steps in his development.

I agree with the poster above that Chytil doesn't feel like a fit on the kids line, but it's hard to say if it is the player or the coaching. It's not only the kids line that struggle to move the puck efficiently out of the D zone and through the neutral zone, it's a team wide issue. If the Rangers spent last off season learning D, next off season they need to focus on learning to move the puck as a team.

Reactions: duhmetreE

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to see Chytil with Panarin and Buchnevich.
Had he not gotten hurt when he did, I really think that he was heading to center Panarin. And while he may well be there in the future, it is tough to take Strome off the line right now.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Had he not gotten hurt when he did, I really think that he was heading to center Panarin. And while he may well be there in the future, it is tough to take Strome off the line right now.
Strome was not playing well last night. I could easily see the case for swapping them, but Quinn has a slow hook for vets like strome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome was not playing well last night. I could easily see the case for swapping them, but Quinn has a slow hook for vets like strome.
He many not have been great last night, but over a longer period of time, he has been. Can't see the hook coming yet.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I'd like to see Chytil with Panarin and Buchnevich.

Same. Especially given the strong results Kreider and Strome had together this year. Have three lines with a mix of veterans and kids and skillsets that complement one another. The top-heavy construction isn't working and the kids are proving themselves ready to contribute beyond a sheltered third line role. If you need to, call the Kreider-Strome line a shutdown line. Buchnevich is a penalty killer now, too.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'd like to see
Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko

Kreider and Chytil both want to attack off the rush and their offensive instinct is to make the simple direct play the majority of the time. Kakko feels like a steadying puck-possession influence for these two who, with those glorious takeaway numbers, could give them some extra rush opportunities.

In their very limited time together (16:40), Kreider and Chytil have exceptional metrics. Much too small a sample size to draw conclusions from, but the idea of giving Chytil somebody more north-south to play with is intriguing.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'd like to see
Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko

Kreider and Chytil both want to attack off the rush and their offensive instinct is to make the simple direct play the majority of the time. Kakko feels like a steadying puck-possession influence for these two who, with those glorious takeaway numbers, could give them some extra rush opportunities.

In their very limited time together (16:40), Kreider and Chytil have exceptional metrics. Much too small a sample size to draw conclusions from, but the idea of giving Chytil somebody more north-south to play with is intriguing.

This is worth a try. The kidz line tends to play with far too little speed out of the D zone and through the neutral zone which doesn't help anyone. Moving Laffy and Kreider around should help remedy that. And Chytil lacks the 3D processing of a true playmaker, he is pretty linear. That does not mean he won't be a good strong player in his own right but Chytil is not the right guy to have between Laf and Kakko.

The Rangers have a lot of simple direct players who like to improvise. Kakko plays a good puck management game only to see others cough up the puck cheaply, he then has to work hard to help get the puck back, gets it, moves it nicely to another player, who then coughs it up and the cycle repeats. Ironically he'd fit great with Buch and probably Kravtsov who can manage the puck, but ofc they are the other RWs.... Playing with Kreider and Chytil might help him simplify his game and be more direct himself. He can save his puck management game for when he plays with people who are ready for it.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Chytil has a 82.61% IPP this season. Only Ranger higher is Panarin with 85.94% IPP.

IPP - Individual Point Percentage, the percentage of goals for that player's team while that player is on the ice that the player earned a point on. Total Points/Goals For

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Chytil has a 82.61% IPP this season. Only Ranger higher is Panarin with 85.94% IPP.

IPP - Individual Point Percentage, the percentage of goals for that player's team while that player is on the ice that the player earned a point on. Total Points/Goals For

Does that mean he's rarely a passenger on his line?

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Not the best game from Chytil last night, despite the goal. On the goal against, he found himself on the wrong side of his man and got beat to the front of the net. It wasn’t completely his fault (looking your way, Hajek), but if he has better position and can tie his man’s stick up, that puck probably gets swept out of danger by a teammate.

The goal he scored is an example of the one man show I’ve criticized him for in the past, but looking at the replay, Kreider and Kakko really should have been moving more to provide some options.

That being said, I’ve generally liked the play of his line better with Kreider.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Not the best game from Chytil last night, despite the goal. On the goal against, he found himself on the wrong side of his man and got beat to the front of the net. It wasn’t completely his fault (looking your way, Hajek), but if he has better position and can tie his man’s stick up, that puck probably gets swept out of danger by a teammate.

The goal he scored is an example of the one man show I’ve criticized him for in the past, but looking at the replay, Kreider and Kakko really should have been moving more to provide some options.

That being said, I’ve generally liked the play of his line better with Kreider.

We need some more selfishness with these players. Ironically, if Kreider or Kakko got open, Chytil probably would have tried a pass, which would've either been broken up or gone into the skates of the receiver. I like Chytil's tendency to shoot over pass. One of the few on the team.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If there is one candidate who I'd like to see do some extra training this off season, it's Chytil.

PEP would benefit him greatly... from countering/stickhandling to better skating mechanics. He has a lot of the tools, he needs to learn how to use them

Reactions: RickChartraw

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
unpopular opinion but if Chytil tops out exactly where he is now, that’s a win IMO.

pacing for almost 50 points, almost all of which are primary, with no PP time and limited ES time. he may not look it every night but that’s a very solid player. and i still think he has more to give

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->